Become a Patron!

New to this

hey guys today I was at my local vape store interested in getting into rebuildable a because I’m sick of crap hw2 coils lasting 3 days for no reason then the next lasting 2 weeks. Anyways the sold me the smok cloud beast tank tfv8 because it comes with the rebuildable deck. She said I would be fine to use it with my current mod however without sacrificing major battery life I can only run up to about 55w max on my current is 85w. Is it possible to make coils that would be good in the 40-55w range? What size would u recommend and g wire. I was told to use between a 24 and a 28 by the employee

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
We're going to find out. I Also have the TFV8 RBA in my Melo 300. The .17ohms the Melo 300 came with needed 120-150watts to perform well, and I don't want to be pumping that all day. So I picked up the TFV8 RBA (All TFV8 coils fit the Melo 300)

I'm really new to vaping too, and I just wrapped some 24g kanthal. Going to get the ohm meter and check it out soon, than see how it vapes. I'm also looking for a nice flavourful coil setup for the 40-60 watt range to use on my Kbox 70w that's on the way.

I will update you with my findings. I have 24g Kanthal, and 26/32g kanthal. I really have no idea what the hell I'm doing haha.

XP7cUKk.jpg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe a nice twisted 26 ga wire. Not sure how much room in the rba but a 28ga parallel works great for me in that same range. I usually run most of my builds between 45 and 60 watts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well damn son. I think I'm starting to figure out this whole bit of business.

I built up some 24g Kanthal A1, at 8 1/2 wraps, barely spaced, 3mm diameter.

Came in at .43ohms.

Vaping it at 60-70 watts, and it's a real beauty. WAY more flavour than the stock RBA @ 2.8ohm was doing at 130 watts, but still plenty of cloud.

Life is pretty beautiful right now. Reason I even got this far today was I managed to fix my RBA deck. The bottom post wasn't quite making contact with the 510 connector, so I spaced it a tad, works like a charm now.

I can at least recommend that wrap to bring the wattage down to a reasonable level. I'll keep an eye on juice consumption, I think it should be better.

The ramp up time for those claptons is crazy. I set a .5 second pre-heat at 150 watts before dropping down, just to get them going.

Nothing like that with this wrap, comes up to speed quick!

I did 2 24g 4mm 6 wraps came in at 0.41 rocking it at 55. Works great only issue is there’s slightly a wierd taste. Any ideas lol. I’m new sorry dumb question

Attachments

• 95826EC7-A8F6-46E8-ADCC-C7453B8CBD1E.jpeg
    95826EC7-A8F6-46E8-ADCC-C7453B8CBD1E.jpeg
    975 KB · Views: 9

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you pre-fire and warm up the coils first? My coils stink when I frst dry fire them. Burning off all the skin oils and junk on the coil. It's nice to get them red hot a couple times before wicking them. Try not to get your fingers all over the coils when wicking. Ramping up the power slowly once it's all primed is good practice too.

Shouldn't have any weird taste after that.

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like you didn't dry fire the coils long enough. They should glow red and smoke off before you get inserting the cotton

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you say what kind of wire it is? Kanthal and SS are my favorite in terms of a clean taste. NiCh80 has a slight metallic taste to me. Oil? Never had anything taste like oil. You using good organic cotton? The coils and wicking look a bit sloppy. I wouldn't dare say that if I hadn't been in your shoes a couple of months ago. I mean if they work well then cool. I bet you can do better though.

You got access to a hand held drill? You can make some twisted wire in 5 minutes if you want to try something different. Take a length of wire, bend it at the center so you have two lengths parallel to each other. Chuck the end that you folded over into the drill. Tighten the chuck, grab the other ends with a pair of pliers and spin it up. Once you have a length of twisted wire wrap a coil around a drill bit (or whatever) like you did with the coils in the pic. I'm not a huge fan of twisted wire because I find it to be fairly poppy, but it's fun to play with and can lead you down the path of building coils as a hobby. I've probably made less than 200 coils and each one was expensive considering what I've put into this. I just bought a $160 drill just because I wanted a few hundred more rpm. You've been warned. And welcome to building. I find it utterly therapeutic, I hope you do too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

That was my first try ever haha I’ve re done both since. Looks much better still getting the odd burn hit taste here and there if I up my watts to get better flavour. Coils are 25g not 24 and they are kanthan. Cotton is just the stuff that came with the smok tank. I have cotton bacon for after. Twisted coils sound fun I do have a drill too

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Getting dry hits very well could have to do with wicking. Every atomizer and coil have different needs and sometimes a lot of cotton, like a Scottish roll, and wicking thin will both work. Sometimes I get close to insane trying to wick certain attys like the Kylin. That fucker has been awesome and horrible since the day I got it. When I do nail the wicking it's fabulous.

Yeah man, definitely spin up some wire. I can probably explain how to make single core clapton wire that *almost* makes itself too. You'll need some 36g wire to go with your kanthal. I suggest SS 316L. Also, KbeeVapes.com is my go-to for wire. The price for wire is extremely low. If you are thinking about getting more than one size go to their website then click on the wholesale link at the bottom of the page. You don't need a tax ID to buy from them. The wholesale prices are so low I really don't understand how they make money.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Forgot, you'll also need a "spool tamer". I believe they carry them at Hobby Lobby. I got a bag of 10 on Amazon or ebay. I put them on all of my spools.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kbeevapes.is cheap. Thanks for that. Just placed an order since noone local has any stainless steel wire.its so cheap it's hard not to buy the big wire packs even though I want use the smaller guages.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Kbeevapes.is cheap. Thanks for that. Just placed an order since noone local has any stainless steel wire.its so cheap it's hard not to buy the big wire packs even though I want use the smaller guages.

Now kbee wire is cheap wire. I have always had good results with temco wire. Others say kidney puncher has good wire. And I think it's coil society that a lot of people like.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know about other sites selling wire, if they have deeper discounts. I went to the kbee site and they mention they're having a sale. Checked their 100ft spool of 24ga kanthal a1, it's $8.35 in the cart. By contrast I chose a 100ft spool of 24ga kanthal a1 at coil society, it shows $5.75 in the cart. From what I've heard from others there's mixed feelings on kbee. Some have no issues, others say they've gotten dirty wire and snags in the spools (sucky when you're doing a long run of wrap).

With shipping coil society comes out a little more expensive, $8.60 for the kanthal mentioned above and kbee does have free shipping if you're willing to go with 7 day ground so kbee would be 25 cents cheaper. It only took a couple days to get my order from CS, the wire was clean and no issues so far. Prices are pretty similar between both companies checking a few other random wires including ni80. If ordering larger amounts where the total is $50+ at CS they have free shipping as well so on larger orders they may come out cheaper.

When I checked temco they have good quality wire and good prices but limited sizes when getting into the finer wrap wires. They cap out at 36ga for ni80 so if looking for 38-40 or higher gauges of ni80 for wrap wire temco's a no go.

Unless there's an outlet selling kbee for a lot cheaper than their site (there may be, idk), I don't think the savings are there to risk getting bad wire. Not when places like CS have better wire for the same price or less (in bulk orders over $50). There's a sticky at the top of the coil building threading listing a bunch of different wire vendors and general feedback/impressions.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wire-quality-sources.310245/

VU Sponsors