Become a Patron!

New to vaping and in love with it!

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello all! I am a complete noob here, just started vaping Friday, and had a few questions.
I had done some research on vaping and decided to give it a try. I've smoked cigarettes for fifteen years and hated the stinking and waste of money. Also doing low Carb and cutting sugars, I figured I could still get the nicotine and a sweet fix.
I went to a shop and the lady was knowledgeable but I felt she went over my head. I have no idea about voltage or ohms.
She set me up with an evod ten hour battery and an aspire BDC tank, but no written instructions.
I guess my questions are;
*Is this a good set up?
*How do I maintain it, clean it?
*What is a coil and how do they work?
*Is it normal to cough at first, like (tmi ) the old stuff working it's way out?

I appreciate any feedback, like I said, I know nothing about this but really love it so far.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes i coughed at first , that will get worse as your lungs clean out. it is a good set up for a new vapor ,not so much fussing . Go on line to" taste your juice " PBusardo or grimmgreen . com they have vids for the new vaper and will explain your set up, just look for the right video.. Tons of info on line and grats on your healthier life , hang in there !!!

Freeloader

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A coil is the heating element that turns your e-juice from liquid to vapor. It is resistance wire, usually kanthal, that is wrapped around wicking material. The wicking material gets wet with juice and, when you press the fire button, the coil heats up and vaporizes the juice.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yay!! I understand now! About how long do they last? Can they be cleaned or just replaced? Thanks :)

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm 2.5 weeks in and gunk is still working its way out. Coughing it outta my lungs, and also having some acne breakouts. Perfectly normal, the stuff's gotta purge somehow.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm all for it leaving!! Congrats on 2.5 weeks!

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Absolutely! The weird thing is being able to smell. It's only been a few days and I can smell the smoke on my *clean* clothes, ugh...

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hello all! I am a complete noob here, just started vaping Friday, and had a few questions.
I had done some research on vaping and decided to give it a try. I've smoked cigarettes for fifteen years and hated the stinking and waste of money. Also doing low Carb and cutting sugars, I figured I could still get the nicotine and a sweet fix.
I went to a shop and the lady was knowledgeable but I felt she went over my head. I have no idea about voltage or ohms.
She set me up with an evod ten hour battery and an aspire BDC tank, but no written instructions.
*Is this a good set up?
*Is it normal to cough at first, like (tmi ) the old stuff working it's way out?

I appreciate any feedback, like I said, I know nothing about this but really love it so far.

Welcome to VU and I will take a shot at answering some of your questions.

The combo she sold you is a decent enough one to start with but I am wondering why she did not match you up with an Evod Clearomizer instead of the Aspire BDC.

For the battery, you just keep it charged and if it last you for a full day of vaping you are good. I would have suggest two batteries. One to use while the other one charges or waits to replace the one you are using. Also, I am a wee bit paranoid about battery safety. Don't leave it charging longer than it takes to charge it. Take it off the charger as soon as it is done charging. With the Aspire BDC hopefully she sold you some replacement heads. I will get back to that. For maintenance, every few fills just give it a good rinse with water and see if you can fit a Qtip inside the drip tip (the part that goes into your mouth to clean it. You may need to trim the cotton just a bit from one side to get it to fit.

As far as the replacement heads are concerned, well you just replace them when the old one dies. Depending on the liquid you use, they could last for a couple of weeks or even longer. When the time comes and nothing is happening when you press the magic button, take it apart, remove the old one and replace with the new one.

The coil is just what is sounds like, it is a cylindrical metal coil that heats up when current is applied to it. Inside it is a wich which delivers your liquids to the coil which heats it and turns it into tasty vapor.

And it is quite normal to cough at first. You body is trying to get rid of the crap left from tobacco. Before long, that will stop, your breathing will be better as will your sense of smell.

One thing you just have to do is to drink plenty of water! Just like the doctors say. The PG component in E-Liquid will dry out your mouth tissues and that will lead to something called Vapers Tongue which means you can't taste your vape. Just be a good little vaper and drink your water like the doctors have always told you to.

Sadly, beer does not count.

And before I forget, it is quit normal to drift back and forth between actual cigarettes when you first start. When I started long, long ago, I just had to have a real smoke first thing in the morning and at variouse times during the day. But in two weeks, I just did not want the coffin nails anymore and I have only vaped since them.

And by the way, download this into your computer.

http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

It is a Quit Meter and you can tell it how much you used to smoke and what your tobacco product of choice cost you.

And it will run in the background and keep track how many smokes you have avoided over time and how much money you have saved.

Kind of a nice inspirational thing.

And if you have anymore questions, post them here or send me a personal message.

We were all noobs once!

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you very much!!! Will download the meter.
Is the "head" the metal part of the tank? If so, no, I only got the one I'm using.
So much to learn!!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thank you very much!!! Will download the meter.
Is the "head" the metal part of the tank? If so, no, I only got the one I'm using.
So much to learn!!

The "head is a little bitty thing that screws into the base of the unit inside the tank part and it will eventually need to be replaced. Once it stops working no more tasty vaper for you!

You need to get a couple of more so you can have spares. The tank itself will last you a very long time with care but the heads do need to be replaced.

And spares and some E-Liquid should be with you at all times unless you know how long a tank will last you. If you are out of the house for a day, you need to be prepared.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you! I do carry my charger and my first, and only, bottle of juice. Looks like a trip to the nearest vape store is happening soon!!

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Also, it was suggested earlier in this thread that you do not want to overcharge your battery which I totally agree with but I take it a little further and Never leave my batteries charging unattended and never leave them charging overnight. Personally I have never had a problem, however, I have seen the effects and do not want it happening to me.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yea im two months in actually exactly to the day and still coughing up junk.. full flavor menthol smoker, makes sense that shit is buried deep. congrats on the switch u wont regret it.. also expect your senses to kick into hyper drive for a few days lol

on top of pbusardo and grimm, indoor smokers did help me a lot

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Also, with regard to cleaning your heads and coils. You are new at this and there is a lot to learn, which you will pick up as you get more experienced. The EVOD replacement heads are relatively cheap. I would suggest you just replace them as the flavor starts changing for the worse. When your flavor starts muting or tasting different in a bad way its usually time to swap it out. Once you get a bit more experienced and you begin the process of building your own coils it will give you a much different perspective on things and a true understanding of how things work. At that point you will have gained some of the knowledge, do's and dont's of things and can actually take things apart and clean the coils, adjust the coils, replace the wicking etc .. Lots to learn and for some of us its much more than a cigarette replacement, its now a hobby. lol .. Good luck on your quest and remember that two of the most important aspects of successful vaping are 1) Finding the right equipment that works for you 2) Find the right Juice or Juices that you enjoy vaping and don't get tired of. Most long term Vapers can vape and enjoy several different flavors but have just one or two All Day Vapes .. ADV's are the flavors that you can Vape all day long day after day and not get tired of. Actually a lot of us just make our own at this point. Good luck to you and m3rma1d on your quest to renewed health.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
I keep thinking of things to add .. sorry ... Regarding coughing .. Some of it may very well be due to your lungs cleaning themselves, however, some people have an aversion to PG in the juice. I can't tell you how many people I know that cured this by changing juices to a base with a Higher concentration of VG .. Keep that in mind and if the coughing does not slow down or stop within several weeks change it up and get a 50/50 (PG/VG) juice.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you everyone!!! This place is great!!! I smoked Marlboro smooths 100's, so I'm guessing the clean out will take a while. The cough is not so bad, I was worried about the PG, but I have no other allergies that I know of.
1truk, thank you for the advice on charging, I'm overtly vigilante, had a cell phone melt on my counter ! As soon as the light turns green it comes off.
I guess I'll get a few evod tanks and some new flavors. Thank you so much, I feel like I have so much to study. Definitely becoming a hobby!!

bwent

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
gratz on taking the leap. the forums are a wealth of info, but try not to get overwhelmed. Ask lots of questions. I wish this place had been around when I started the vape trek.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
*Is this a good set up?

...I would suggest you just replace them as the flavor starts changing for the worse.
Although [user]UncleRJ[/user] did a great job covering most of the points, I wanted to chime in my two cents as well. [user]1truk[/user] also has it right, except don't throw away the old coil heads when you get replacements. You'll want those for after you start rebuilding them yourself, so you hopefully never run out.
The first time your tank runs out of juice, I would suggest taking it all apart, so you understand which parts go where. Just make sure you note what came from where. Cleaning will normally just mean rinsing everything out well. I started off with eGo-style batteries but for my personal taste, they were unable to keep me all the way away from cigarettes. I now have two rebuildable dripping atomizers, build my own coils, and mix my own juice. Been off cigarettes for three weeks now.
Concerning the coughing, I've found that the period spent recovering from cigarettes is usually more severe for coughing than the period spent smoking. Coughing up black goo is common.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! Everyone here is awesome and all advice is being taken to heart. I have refilled my tank a few times already but the next time around I'll dismantle and explore.
The coughing is not so bad, sporadic, kinda like a hack. I do sometimes feel the inhale deep down in my lungs and very little vapor on the exhale, that is usually when I cough/hack. Ewwww, black goo? Nothing like that yet.
Congrats on three weeks!!!!

1truk

Member For 4 Years
The Head is another name for the Coil or Atomizer.
Originally a vaping device was generally described in two parts, the Battery and the Head. In these terms the head would then include the Drip Tip, the Tank or Carto and the juice containment section. These days people often refer to the "Head" as the coil and wick regarding the devices where they are built as a single unit. Clearomizers such as CE4 and CE5 and Pro Tanks, EVOD Tanks, ViVi Novas etc, are all good examples .. all of these have a self contained Coil and Wick system or HEAD which can easily be separated from the rest of the unit as one piece. On the other hand a Russian 91%, or KayFun devices have a coil and whick as well but they are not necessarily self contained and therefore when people talk about the innards they tend to refer to the separate components rather than the Unit itself, i.e., Coil, Wick, etc.. Hope I haven't just made things more confusing.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haha! No, just trying to soak it all in! OK, so on my set up, between the battery and tank there is a metal band. (Black battery,pink tank) If I unscrew the battery and the tank, like I do to refill, that metal piece is the head? Does it come apart as well?

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Haha! No, just trying to soak it all in! OK, so on my set up, between the battery and tank there is a metal band. (Black battery,pink tank) If I unscrew the battery and the tank, like I do to refill, that metal piece is the head? Does it come apart as well?
Technically I would call that the Head Assembly and the Head itself most likely unscrews from the "Metal Band". The Head itself should be replaceable. Keep in mind that I don't know exactly what type of Tank/Head you are using so I'm making a few assumptions. Anyway, the next time you go to add juice and you have the Metal Band/Head Assembly/Base (all meaning the same thing in this case) removed, look closely at the end of it that would be going into the juice when assembled and it should protrude out some. Grab a hold of the post and see if it unscrews. If so that would be the replaceable component of the head. You can take that down to your local Vape Store or wherever you got it and purchase replacements. I do not want to throw too much information at you all at once but the replacement heads are rated by Resistance Value and it is usually stamped with a number, i.e., 1.6 -or- 1.8 -or- 2.5. Try to get the same if you can. These numbers denote the "Resistance" value of that particular coil inside the head and its important because the Higher the Number the more battery Voltage is usually required for the Vaping Experience to be good. Again, don't want to overload you too quickly here but suffice to say that if your Vape worked and tasted good when you started out with a fresh head then you will probably want to get the same "Value of Resistance" on the new ones you buy.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Originally a vaping device was generally described in two parts, the Battery and the Head. In these terms the head would then include the Drip Tip, the Tank or Carto and the juice containment section. These days people often refer to the "Head" as the coil and wick regarding the devices where they are built as a single unit. Clearomizers such as CE4 and CE5 and Pro Tanks, EVOD Tanks, ViVi Novas etc, are all good examples .. all of these have a self contained Coil and Wick system or HEAD which can easily be separated from the rest of the unit as one piece. On the other hand a Russian 91%, or KayFun devices have a coil and whick as well but they are not necessarily self contained and therefore when people talk about the innards they tend to refer to the separate components rather than the Unit itself, i.e., Coil, Wick, etc.. Hope I haven't just made things more confusing.
I meant to say "In these terms the Head includes the Drip Tip, the Tank or Carto and the Atomizer/Coil". Sorry it is way too early to be forum trolling ... lol

1truk

Member For 4 Years
*Is this a good set up?

When just starting out with Vaping things can get a little overwhelming with regard to all the choices you have to make right out of the chute. Which Battery, which tank, which juice in an endless sea of thousands of flavors, etc .. So from my standpoint it's almost just as hard and all I'm doing is making recommendations .. If you asked 10 people that have been vaping for years what to buy you will most likely get 10 differing answers. All of which will be correct albeit different. I know that probably makes no sense at all but its true. The thing I tell people the most regarding the effectiveness of Vaping and the likelihood of it working revolves around 2 basic points. If you are able to find equipment that works to your liking and find a Juice type and flavor (or two or three) that you don't get tired of and can Vape all day you are more likely to stick with it. Just always remember the golden rule of Juice. Just because you like it does not mean that I will. Knowing this one of the first suggestions that I make to new Vapers is to purchase a battery that allows you the adjust the Voltage. Sure getting a Variable Wattage device is Great, but that means next to nothing to you right now and down the road its something you may want to look into but for right now the goal is to not break the bank and experiment to find what works for you and what doesn't. So I say get a Variable Voltage battery to start. Then get a tank with replaceable heads (Which you have) and then taste test some juices at your Vape Store until you find one or two flavors that you really like. The VV battery will allow you to make subtle to large changes in the voltage output to your Coil that can make a world of difference in the flavor and vapor production. Once you get to this point I feel that you are well on your way. IMHO .. !!

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you 1truk! I'm on my phone but I'll copy/paste all of this and save it to be referenced. It is pretty confusing but you're showing me how to understand! I thank you again, and everyone on here, I'm so glad I found this place. Y'all are really laid back and have a passion for this, it shows when y'all so readily want to educate.
Thanks Chris, I'll check out that video.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
And before I forget, never buy any clearomizer that starts with CE.

IMHO, they are junk and they should quit making them.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And before I forget, never buy any clearomizer that starts with CE.

IMHO, they are junk and they should quit making them.

better yet skip all the mess and get an aspire nautilus with BVC coils... well when they are at every shop in a week :D

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That video was great, it really helped with the visuals to tie into the advice here. I got a little lost on the RMS part but I'm sure that will come in time.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you want some hand-holding - i.e., a trained and dedicated customer service staff that you can actually call on the phone - you could consider buying equipment/supplies from www.vaporzone.com. This is where I started, and they have a pretty generous return policy. Just be sure to save your boxes, print out their free shipping slips, etc. They don't try to push you into buying more than you need, which is another good thing.

You pay a bit more than other places, but as I said, it's specifically because their customer service is real good.

Once you get the hang of things and feel more adventurous, you can cut the cord with them at any time and they don't hound you to come back. I've received a couple of 10% discount offer emails from them here and there, but that's about it.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if I have that. :( My tank says aspire BDC, it's light pink with little windows on either side. The lady I bought it from said it was a dual, gave a warm hit and pulled from the bottom. It's also slimmer and more tapered than the pics of other aspires I've seen when researching.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if I have that. :( My tank says aspire BDC, it's light pink with little windows on either side. The lady I bought it from said it was a dual, gave a warm hit and pulled from the bottom. It's also slimmer and more tapered than the pics of other aspires I've seen when researching.

lol most of us dont.. its the "latest and greatest" tank and ive heard a lot of good things from people that use drippers, which is not often for drippers to get behind a tank system.. so i want one. BDC means bottom dual coil, BVC means bottom vertical coil (which is the new design). will make more sense when you understand how coils and air flow work

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love to try help as much as I can saltsandsea. As I sm kinda new also. Been VAPING a few months.

I have so many vids and some many post. I am still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome and thank you for not smoking! Seems like all your bases are covered already, so I'd just say I started with a similar setup, and quickly moved up to a VV battery (Vision Spinner) soon after - you can definitely tell the difference once you've gone past the getting-to-know-you stage. :)

I'm surprised Uncle RJ didn't bring it up - what juice did you end up picking as your first choice?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

The Aspire is totally different from the CE junk. One of the ways you can tell is that it actually works!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Welcome and thank you for not smoking! Seems like all your bases are covered already, so I'd just say I started with a similar setup, and quickly moved up to a VV battery (Vision Spinner) soon after - you can definitely tell the difference once you've gone past the getting-to-know-you stage. :)

I'm surprised Uncle RJ didn't bring it up - what juice did you end up picking as your first choice?

I was waiting for her to have a chance to get to know the gear she has to work with now. She just purchased the stuff a few days ago. IMHO, too soon to tell her to go out and purchase more stuff on top of the $$$ she just spent ;)

When the time comes, we will help her find VV or VV/VW stuff.

For the time being lets give her time to at least pay off her credit card!:D

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the welcome! I got my setup when I was out of town, visiting parents, in Arlington Tx at Luxor. I chose their "Tigers Milk", to me it's like a strawberry,cherry, marshmallow /bubble gum with some hazel nut and cream. Pretty good so far.
I'm closer to San Antonio and have heard great things about Coval juice. Has anyone here tried them?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thanks for the welcome! I got my setup when I was out of town, visiting parents, in Arlington Tx at Luxor. I chose their "Tigers Milk", to me it's like a strawberry,cherry, marshmallow /bubble gum with some hazel nut and cream. Pretty good so far.
I'm closer to San Antonio and have heard great things about Coval juice. Has anyone here tried them?

I have not tried them.

I get a lot of my E-Liquids from Bulk E-Juice

http://www.bulkejuice.com/

If you order their sample packs, it is a great way to try a lot of flavors inexpensively

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm on a mocha cap/hazelnut cap tear lately. One of the best tips I've read is to try different kinds of juice until you find what works for you - hopefully pretty soon you'd be thinking in terms of e-juice/day instead of packs/day! :)

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can definitely see myself with a juice cabinet....
I love the available variety, just need to start getting my feet wet!
I smoked my last cigarette yesterday. I think it was primarily psychological, I didn't really want it, now I have none left at hand to fall back on. Honestly I don't want to.: )

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can definitely see myself with a juice cabinet....
I love the available variety, just need to start getting my feet wet!
I smoked my last cigarette yesterday. I think it was primarily psychological, I didn't really want it, now I have none left at hand to fall back on. Honestly I don't want to.: )

yaysmilesa-smiley.gif

very proud of you. :)

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Thank you everyone!!! This place is great!!! I smoked Marlboro smooths 100's, so I'm guessing the clean out will take a while. The cough is not so bad, I was worried about the PG, but I have no other allergies that I know of.
1truk, thank you for the advice on charging, I'm overtly vigilante, had a cell phone melt on my counter ! As soon as the light turns green it comes off.
I guess I'll get a few evod tanks and some new flavors. Thank you so much, I feel like I have so much to study. Definitely becoming a hobby!!
saltsandsea .. Good on ya Girl .. Glad I could help. One more thing. When time and money permit consider getting one or two different types of tanks (and replacement heads) so that you can experiment with different things and see which you like the best. Personally I do not care much for the EVOD tanks but my Wife loves them. Vivi Nova tanks and Vivi Nova Mini tanks are real popular and the replacement heads are also really cheap. They work really well and depending on how you Vape and the juice you Vape the heads can last significantly longer than the EVOD heads. I could sit here and list off a bazillion other tank types to try but you will find them along the way and I think these two are a good start for you. Finally and maybe most importantly, consider getting a Variable Voltage Battery (EGO Twist is a good example) as it can make a huge difference in your Vape and they are really inexpensive. Good Luck and drop a line once in a while to let us know how things are going.

saltsandsea

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you!! :) I will look for those. I guess I just have to explore, now that I've found y'all I will frequent here. ;)

VU Sponsors