Become a Patron!

New to Vaping - experiences so far, open for suggestions

I started vaping Jan 1st and am trying to put down cigarettes. I'm a pack a day 20 year smoker so this has been a challenge, to date im down to 3-4 analogs a day. I'm still learning vape terminology and am trying to keep things simple, i don't really want to rebuild coils or spend a whole lot of time on building things. In under a month i have dropped close to $300 into this effort.. I've summed up my last 30 days of vaping experiences below, feel free to make any suggestions.

Mods - Volcano Inferno
I started with the Volcano Inferno and about half a dozen 30ml bottles of various 18mg Nicotine EJuices. The Inferno makes tons of vapor for such a small device, its portable easy to use and averages a full day of use w/ a single battery. My biggest issue was this thing leaks like crazy, gurgles and spits to the point where i put it down. I almost gave up on it, tech support said it was to be expected and i got no where. I then received my Zample box subscription and got some high VG/Thicker juice. The thicker juice eliminated 100% of leaks and spitting issues so far, it amazes me that volcano sells's device without a warning.. its not compatible w/ thin juice IMHO.

Mods - Kanger Topbox Nano
Before finding the PG juice fix for my Inferno I had already ordered and was waiting on the Kanger 60W TOPBOX Nano my last shot at vaping. The unit has great reviews in my research. I picked up some Samsung R25 batteries and a dual charger off amazon which also all had good reviews. My Vaping experience with the Kangertech so far has been underwhelming, it is such a hot vape that it effects the flavor makes it hard to use even on lower voltages and even w/ temp control and air flow adjustments it just doesn't have the cool full flavor i get from the Inferno. I can't chain vape it without burning my lips. The battery life is just plain short, even on 20-watts it will hardly last a day of use..I haven't killed either of the Volcano Inferno's batteries in a single day yet. The features are nice on the Kanger its easy to use the menu and settings and it hasn't leaked once. I really want to like the Kanger, i dropped about $100 on it w/ the charger, batteries, coils and starter kit. I find myself using the inferno daily, now that it stopped leaking w/ the new juice.

The Juice
The main thing I've learned is all the components matter including the type of juice when it comes to vaping.. I've recently cancelled Zamplebox my 1st box had 3 of 5 usable juices and I've subscribed to craft vapory to give them a spin. In my frustration with the Kanger i also ordered a 150ML booster sample box from The Drip Club to see if i can find a juice that will get the Kanger to work for me. I'll make my decision on where i'm shopping for future boxes of juice depending on the result of how the Drip club compares to Craft Vapory. I don't have any local shops so i figure variety boxes are worthwhile until i nail down what i like best.

Grego

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I have no experience with either device but the sales and promotion section on this forum have some great juice at great prices. They also have sample packs, I have used somich and verde valley vape. This can save a a lot of cash. Good luck

smoked

Member For 4 Years
When I got my sub box mini it had the .5 coil installed and my experience was just like yours, way too hot. Went to the 1.5 and it was much better, usable at least. Still prefer my nautilus, but that's just me.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
When I got my sub box mini it had the .5 coil installed and my experience was just like yours, way too hot. Went to the 1.5 and it was much better, usable at least. Still prefer my nautilus, but that's just me.
Have to agree here with the higher resistance coil heads. Usually a beginning Vaper, coming from smoking cigarettes, prefers MTL (mouth to lungs) hits, just as smoking a cigarette. The higher resistance coil heads are suited better for that. The sub-ohm coils are more for the DL (direct to lungs) hitter.

Took me quite a while to find the proper e-liquids I liked. Ideally, get samples, if possible, or order the smallest bottles available, to safe some money. Once, you found you preferred juices, it will get cheaper. In addition, you want to have 3-4 different juices, that you switch during the day, in order to avoid "vapor's tongue". If you want to safe even more money, look into the DIY e-liquid section here on VU.

Last edited:
I swapped up to the 1.5 ohm coil but the Kanger still gets too hot for my liking. The Clapton 0.5 ohm coil seems to be a little better at 25 watts. I ordered this extended drip tip off Ebay i'm hoping it will help out.
.s-l1600.jpg

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I swapped up to the 1.5 ohm coil but the Kanger still gets too hot for my liking. The Clapton 0.5 ohm coil seems to be a little better at 25 watts. I ordered this extended drip tip off Ebay i'm hoping it will help out.
.View attachment 39359
You could also try playing with the airflow, a little at a time. Opening the airflow will cool down the coil(s), thus the vapor will be cooler. However, too much airflow can make the vapor less dense. Therefore less flavorful.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hmm, I'm trying to understand the heat issue you're having with the Kanger. I vape with a Kanger almost exclusively now. What kind of wattage are you running on the 1.5 ohm coil?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wow :eek: That's a bit much really for a 1.5 coil IMHO But we all have our personal preferences. I can't speak for your particular tank, I've only used the Plus and the Mini. But mine has never been so hot I couldn't put the tip in my mouth. And I consider myself a chain vaper.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm gonna bet you're getting crap performance because you're using a sub ohm tank and not flowing enough air through it. They're designed for direct lung hits. Since you just quit smoking I'm betting you take mouth to lung hits. If that's true you should have got an aspire nautilus or nautilus mini.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I change all metal drip tips to something that doesn't get hot, like delrin or some sort of stone (I've melted plastic before). I've never been able to use them without burning my mouth!

I think the way i'm using the Kanger it is the problem, i do tend to smoke mouth to lung, not direct lung hits. When i try direct lung hits I cough/gag like crazy.. maybe it takes practice or a lower nicotine mg.

I'm gonna bet you're getting crap performance because you're using a sub ohm tank and not flowing enough air through it. They're designed for direct lung hits. Since you just quit smoking I'm betting you take mouth to lung hits. If that's true you should have got an aspire nautilus or nautilus mini.

Seeing how the Kanger has a 510 connection can i buy the Aspire Nautilus tank and swap out the subtank and get better performance for MTL hits?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Seeing how the Kanger has a 510 connection can i buy the Aspire Nautilus tank and swap out the subtank and get better performance for MTL hits?
Yes, there are really 2 types of connections and as long as the resistance on the coils are correctly suited you can use whatever will connect to them (it's either eGo were the male is the battery, or 510 where the male is the tank)

So yes once you get the mod you can use whatever tank will fit it, just make sure you coils are of the right resistance (don't put a .2Ω coil on a mod that's suited for closer to 1Ω)

If you do go with the Nautilus I'd suggest looking into the Aspire Triton Mini Clapton Coils, I've heard they give a better flavor, no experience myself though.

Tossing a few names out as they might come by and give better advice for MTL style, but as far as I know for premade coils you got Eleaf GS tank, Nautilus w/Triton coils, and Protank as the ones I've seen mentioned frequently.

@Huckleberried @Artemis @Shark Vape

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have 2 of the tanks mentioned by @JERUS. I've never used a Nautilus, but I hear nothing but good things about them. Others I like are the Goblin Mini, the Delta 2, the iJust 2, the Balrog and the Kanger Subtank nano.

ETA: I'm a MTL vaper, anywhere from 1.2- 2.5 ohms and I usually vape at lower watts, very rarely above 11. I do like Amanda does and change drip tips that suit me better for whatever tank I'm using.

VU Sponsors