Become a Patron!

New to vaping, need some advice

I have the ipv d2 with the Arctic horizon sub tank. Usually use 3mg clown penny wise or sweet tooth juice. I tend to vape 50 watts with 350 f temp, but I'm getting a weird taste when I vape too long. Not burnt, but not the usual taste of the juice. Tried switching to i95 heaven's milk and a few others, same results. Using .5 ni coils. Also recently purchased .2 ni coils but I keep getting either check battery or low res warnings. So am I doing more than my mod can handle or any suggestions or advice?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check the coil heads connection
Check your battery..
Weird taste?
Disassemble the tank clean,dry it then put it back together..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the D2 and the resistance you have should be fine. Just be sure to lock in resistance when the mod and atty are cold if you're using Ni200 coils and switch to TC mode.

Check the coil heads connection
Check your battery..
Weird taste?
Disassemble the tank clean,dry it then put it back together..

Yeah when I switch back to the .5 I don't get a low res or check battery. Just with the .2, tank was cleaned and dried this morning. I get the weird taste regardless, but only when I hit it hard. I chain vape if that makes any difference.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah when I switch back to the .5 I don't get a low res or check battery. Just with the .2, tank was cleaned and dried this morning. I get the weird taste regardless, but only when I hit it hard. I chain vape if that makes any difference.

Hmmmm
Try regular kanthal coil heads..you shouldn't be having that weird even when you chained vape

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tend to vape 50 watts with 350 f temp
You can't vape at both temperature control and power at the same time,no mod can do that.You're either vaping in TC mode or Wattage mode.Or you are a time traveler who's mod is about to be stolen...Just saying.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can't vape at both temperature control and power at the same time,no mod can do that.You're either vaping in TC mode or Wattage mode.Or you are a time traveler who's mod is about to be stolen...Just saying.
Obviously this newbie doesn't know what he's doing..

VAPE ON

thejman

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The mod can handle up to .05 but the mod might be trying to regulate it depending on your battery. Not sure if the mod is that smart. Lol. I'm curious what exactly you mean by vaping too long. Do you mean firing the device for long periods of time?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have to set the wattage (or joules, depending on your mod) and temp to use TC:p. Personally I find 350F too low to get much flavor, but it works for some people.

thejman

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You have to set the wattage (or joules, depending on your mod) and temp to use TC. Personally I find 350F too low to get much flavor, but it works for some people.
Yep. Its joules for ipvd2 and watts for the evc series

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have to set the wattage (or joules, depending on your mod) and temp to use TC:p. Personally I find 350F too low to get much flavor, but it works for some people.
While some mods do use joules and watts and TC you can only vape in 1 of those modes at a time.There is no mod currently available where you vape in multiple formats at once.You are vaping using joules.Or you are vaping using watts.Or you vaping using temperature control.You can't vape in any combination of those...Cheers!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While some mods do use joules and watts and TC you can only vape in 1 of those modes at a time.There is no mod currently available where you vape in multiple formats at once.You are vaping using joules.Or you are vaping using watts.Or you vaping using temperature control.You can't vape in any combination of those...Cheers!

Of course! But I suspect people new to temp control may not notice if their joules are actually watts. On some mods, watts are used instead of joules. I have an Istick 40 watt that only uses watts and temp in TC mode. I have other mods that use joules in TC mode. It's all the same in the end of course!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Of course! But I suspect people new to temp control may not notice if their joules are actually watts. On some mods, watts are used instead of joules. I have an Istick 40 watt that only uses watts and temp in TC mode. I have other mods that use joules in TC mode. It's all the same in the end of course!
Yep power is power.Which reminds me of a song...

VapinVegas01

Member For 4 Years
On Yihi chips, which the IPV d2 has, you set both Joules and temp. The joules setting controls ramp up time, or how much fast you get to temp. The temp setting is to limit how hot it gets.
OP, are these the first nickel coils you have used?
I get a slight taste from nickel coils. Some people can taste the nickel more than others.
Also, are you locking the resistance? If not, the TC is getting thrown off from starting temp variations.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the ipv d2 with the Arctic horizon sub tank. Usually use 3mg clown penny wise or sweet tooth juice. I tend to vape 50 watts with 350 f temp, but I'm getting a weird taste when I vape too long. Not burnt, but not the usual taste of the juice. Tried switching to i95 heaven's milk and a few others, same results. Using .5 ni coils. Also recently purchased .2 ni coils but I keep getting either check battery or low res warnings. So am I doing more than my mod can handle or any suggestions or advice?

0.5 ni coil - I don't think so. The 0.2 coil could be nickel but not the 0.5 they don't make one. I suspect there both kanthal. The lowest the D2 fires in power mode is 0.2 so if the coil is a bit under it won't work. In temp mode it fires down to 0.05. 40W is the factory max for the 0.5 coil but the 0.2 is 50W it's printed on the side of the coil. If the 0.2 is a nickel coil you should be in temp mode other wise use power mode and try turning it down a bit. You can't use Watts and temp control at the same time on the D2. It's Joules or watts and in watts the temp setting is moot.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

0.5 ni coil - I don't think so. The 0.2 coil could be nickel but not the 0.5 they don't make one. I suspect there both kanthal. The lowest the D2 fires in power mode is 0.2 so if the coil is a bit under it won't work. In temp mode it fires down to 0.05. 40W is the factory max for the 0.5 coil but the 0.2 is 50W it's printed on the side of the coil. If the 0.2 is a nickel coil you should be in temp mode other wise use power mode and try turning it down a bit. You can't use Watts and temp control at the same time on the D2. It's Joules or watts and in watts the temp setting is moot.

SmatoMizer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To your implied question of weird taste ... I have a Horizon Tech Arctic myself and have also noticed that odd taste you mention a couple weeks ago. It's not quite perfume-y, but it is a bit plastic-y tasting. Almost like burning plastic in a fire, but not even nearly as harsh. It's not a completely horrible taste, just a bit odd. I have a iStick 40W TC that I run my Arctic on. I use the BTDC 0.5ohm (kanthal) coils. I get that odd plastic-like taste when i run @ 40W and when i drop down to 30W it (mostly?) goes away. Not ideal for me (and probably you too) since i like a bit more of a warmer vape than the 30W (non-TC) provides.

Sorry I don't have an immediate solution for you. I ordered various eliquids (50/50, 60/40, 70/30) a couple days ago and I'll be trying to see if differing VG/PC ratios have anything to do with that taste. I was a 50/50 ratio vaper until I noticed my tinnitus (ringing in the ears and medically linked to PG usage) increasing and switched to max VG to deal with that. I want to say that's when i noticed that almost chemical taste from the arctic.

Also, I am gonna rebuild one of the OCC coils, to as close as the factory specs as i can, using cotton instead of whatever that quasi-cotton material is in the factory coils to see if it's that material, or that material in conjunction with various eliquid VG/PG ratiosthat may be the culprit taste wise.

At the moment I empathize with you. I 'm been vaping a couple of other tanks (goblin mini, steam crave rdta, and nautilus mini) with the same eliquids that i used in the Arctic and don't get that taste. Anyway, when my shipment of liquids arrives and I have the time to run the experiment, I'll post the results here.

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's and idea trash the tank get ya self a rda I love the mutation IV or my newest find the rbta bottom airflow avacado 24. currently my mutation is running .4 ohm Clapton coils on my wimpy istick 50w set to 40w good cloud n flavor. my rbta is running a single .25 ohm Alien Clapton perched on a fuhatten mech great cloud n awesome flavor. I can't stand them pre-made verticle coils always gother a weird taste n only been vapin for 4mo I gotta up grade my box mod to really fire up the mutation n switch the rbta to a pair of alien Clapton so I can fire .125 ohms correctly n safely

VU Sponsors