Become a Patron!

New to vaping, think I jumped the gun too far.

Hey what's up guys as the title states, I'm new to vaping and think I went a little too far into it for a newbie.
My friend got me into vaping by letting me borrow his mod. His setup was a Sigelei 150w, 18650 Sony VTC 4's, and an Aspire Atlantis sub-ohm tank or something like that. I loved it and was vaping it at 25-30 watts and it was incredible, so I went ahead and bought that exact same setup. I've seen a lot of shit on the news about all these kids having their shit blow up in their pockets and what not and I don't want this to happen. I believe I jumped the gun. I know people will hate and say "people like you are the ones who fuck up vaping blah blah blah" So I'm asking if anybody can show me the correct way to start and or give me some tips. I've watched a couple videos on youtube about this, but I would also like some advice from you guys.

Thanks.

Also I've been using a Ego C Twist for about a month or so and my friend had gave me his mod for about a month to test out to see If I like it. I'm not completely new to vaping but I'm new to this type of device and would like to know If I stay in that 25-30 watt range will It be safe.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok newbies, there's nothing wrong buying those devices, the problem here you guys RUSHED!!!! Im not sure what is the reason why you guys started vaping? Since nothing was mentioned,I will assumed this a case of WOW???
Since you already have the sig 150, and a n Atlantis tank, for me, I think its ok, ur pretty much safe with that set up....I'd rather see a newbie jumped on a regulated device, rather than an unregulated mod and started building coils with unsafe built and batteries!!!
25-30 watt range??? Yeah that's safe as long as u have a safe batteries, mod,tank,RDA!!! vaping is a journey, I started with an ego/vivi nova tank/ protanks/kayfun/taifun/stillare atty,mech mods/26650 mod mainly/sig 150/ .15 ohm dripping for another year until recently with the release of the subohm tanks, I stop dripping, I stop building, I stop chasing clouds, I'm chasing flavors now..... Been vaping since 2011 down to 6mg in a tank, 3mg dripped!!!
Rule of thumb
You can't vape where you can't SMOKE!! IMO, BE SAFE
BIGBOYVAPER

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think you made a bad choice - that Sig box will handle whatever you throw at it, and it'll do so safely. Stay away from mechanical mods and building your own coils until you learn what you're doing (this forum is a great place for that), but you've pretty much started off with the setup where most people end up. I've been vaping on and off for four years or so, full-time since 2013, and I'm only on a Sig 100.

Like @ej1024 says, be respectful about when/where you vape and don't blow clouds where it's not welcome. Other than that, you're golden in my books - the people who come on here with the "I wanna vape fat ass clouds bro - is this Trustfire battery on a SMPL with my RDA built at 0.08 sick or what?!?" posts are the ones that worry me...

Ok newbies, there's nothing wrong buying those devices, the problem here you guys RUSHED!!!! Im not sure what is the reason why you guys started vaping? Since nothing was mentioned,I will assumed this a case of WOW???
Since you already have the sig 150, and a n Atlantis tank, for me, I think its ok, ur pretty much safe with that set up....I'd rather see a newbie jumped on a regulated device, rather than an unregulated mod and started building coils with unsafe built and batteries!!!
25-30 watt range??? Yeah that's safe as long as u have a safe batteries, mod,tank,RDA!!! vaping is a journey, I started with an ego/vivi nova tank/ protanks/kayfun/taifun/stillare atty,mech mods/26650 mod mainly/sig 150/ .15 ohm dripping for another year until recently with the release of the subohm tanks, I stop dripping, I stop building, I stop chasing clouds, I'm chasing flavors now..... Been vaping since 2011 down to 6mg in a tank, 3mg dripped!!!
Rule of thumb
You can't vape where you can't SMOKE!! IMO, BE SAFE
BIGBOYVAPER

I understand that I rushed into it. I thought it'd be good to just copy my friends setup because I just fell in love with it within that month he had let me borrow it. My eGo C Twist just didn't compete (obviously) & I had that thing for 2-3 months and needed an upgrade.

I've done heaps of research for about 2 weeks now and I'm still learning. I've purchased so much stuff within this past 2 weeks (Ohm reader, RDA Kit (Incase I want to rebuild down the future), Different size kanthal, & A grip of Vtc 4's from Lightning Vapes (Trusted, I guess).

Sometimes we make mistakes, I realized I did rush a little too fast into it, that's why I joined this forum and posted this to get some tips. I haven't even unboxed any of my stuff yet. I want some tips and feel I should learn more before using it.

I don't think you made a bad choice - that Sig box will handle whatever you throw at it, and it'll do so safely. Stay away from mechanical mods and building your own coils until you learn what you're doing (this forum is a great place for that), but you've pretty much started off with the setup where most people end up. I've been vaping on and off for four years or so, full-time since 2013, and I'm only on a Sig 100.

Like @ej1024 says, be respectful about when/where you vape and don't blow clouds where it's not welcome. Other than that, you're golden in my books - the people who come on here with the "I wanna vape fat ass clouds bro - is this Trustfire battery on a SMPL with my RDA built at 0.08 sick or what?!?" posts are the ones that worry me...

Of course man, thanks. I'm not jumping into building til I'm more confident. I bought everything needed for building & a couple of RDA's but I'm not using them til then.

& Yeup, I'm pretty respectful when vaping in public. I usually only vape where smoking is allowed, vape shops, or my house. I'm not like those douchebags who will vape in Walmart's and shit. Lol, I'm not going to lie.. I used to think like that before I got the C Twist. I thought my clouds were "pussy clouds" but I'm sort of over that phase and I'm chasing flavor now (I do love some clouds tho)

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You got yourself an excellent regulated mod that will last a long time, and with that tank you'll be happy. And it looks like you're buying quality batteries, as long as you keep that up you'll be fine. I'd hold off on building your own coils until you've got a firm grasp on all the details involved, safe amps your batteries can support, and of course the absolute must an ohm reader. Then step into the world of building, if you feel like you want to go beyond the pre-built coils.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went from a no name 3.5V stick mod with a plastic clearomizer to a 30w IPV mini with a Sub Tank to a Sig 150 and building sub ohm coils for my growing collection of rebuildable atomizers. all within five weeks. I couldn't be happier!
Move forward at your own pace and research EVERYTHING. There's a wealth of information here.
Vape on! :cool:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like everyone mentiones ya got a good rig going. Be safe and youll be ok. If youre unsure just ask and aomeone will set you in the right direction.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey what's up guys as the title states, I'm new to vaping and think I went a little too far into it for a newbie.
My friend got me into vaping by letting me borrow his mod. His setup was a Sigelei 150w, 18650 Sony VTC 4's, and an Aspire Atlantis sub-ohm tank or something like that. I loved it and was vaping it at 25-30 watts and it was incredible, so I went ahead and bought that exact same setup. I've seen a lot of shit on the news about all these kids having their shit blow up in their pockets and what not and I don't want this to happen. I believe I jumped the gun. I know people will hate and say "people like you are the ones who fuck up vaping blah blah blah" So I'm asking if anybody can show me the correct way to start and or give me some tips. I've watched a couple videos on youtube about this, but I would also like some advice from you guys.

Thanks.

The good thing is that you now have a regulated mod that will power any tank, dripper, RDA, RTA out there. You are set for a long time. It won't blow up or cause issues as long as you use good batteries in it.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
WELL, I RECKON CONGRATS ON THE SETUP..LOL

like a bunch of people said, better to big with a regulated than unregated and stick with those subohm clearos on that mod and you'll be ok. just watch your batteries!!!
those vtc4s are some of the best on the market for that mod
pair your batteries, in other words when you swap them out swap with the same batteries and mark them so you know which two go together. also rotate them in the mod. you want them to cycle together. it'll prolong the battery life and prevent one from totally draining and venting before the other.
make sure you don't tear the battery wrap if you do, toss it and replace the pair. stick with good high drain batteries that can handle the load, you're good with the vtc4's

and remember if you don't know something don't assume. Ask one of the people here or someone who you know you can trust.

and again congrats on the setup!

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Atlantis is straight forward, nothing especially problematic about it, just as long as you use it on a device that can handle 0.5 ohm, the sig150 is regulated and has protection.
It's a simple setup, nothing a newbie can't handle.
You should be fine.

There are no stupid batteries, just stupid people.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
After reading all the posts, you have a great setup for a new vaper, one that should last you quite a while as you grow into vaping and find out what you really need out of your gear. You also have the right attitude to vape "smartly". I vape in many restaurants and bars here, but I ALWAYS ask permission first. If the owner/manager don't have a problem with it, then neither do I. If anyone asks me to stop, I don't argue my "right to vape", rather I take it outside. If there are families with children I will either refrain or keep it to the bare minimum to satisfy my nic cravings.

These simple acts help to ensure that the places I frequent stay friendly to vapers.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You did good. Nice gear for anyone, even a new vaper. Make sure you keep using good batteries, keep them paired, use a good charger and enjoy your stuff. Welcome.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Welcome to the Underground.

Yep, you are of to a great start with the gear that you have purchased. To be safe, just respect your gear and take care of it. Use the battieries for your Sigelei only in matched/married pairs.

Make sure you are using a good charger and don't leave it unsupervised while charging your batteries.

There is no rush for you to get into building your own coils but when the time comes take your time, do it right and always test your build on a aOhm meter before vaping.

And watch your manners while vaping in public.

I dial my clouds down to next to nothing and few people even realize I am vaping.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good index for finding your comfort zone sub-Ω is @danwldr's contribution on thevapersden...

Sub Ohm Vaping Chart

This will give ya an indication what a straight mech will deliver at 4.2 (max) with your wind.

To make some better use of this once you know is to have the power median if you're vapin' a box. For that steam-engine.com has an excellent round up of some of the most popular/available devices in their modrange webap…

Mod range | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

There you'll find the APV's spec capabilities and sweet spot to better help you fix your res target.

Good luck all.

:)

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wish I had started with that set up, it would have saved me a lot of frustration and money! Other then watching the batteries, during charging that is, that setup is bombproof. The mod has protection and the Atlantis is at the low end of what the Sigelei can handle. Barring your interest in new toys that setup will be all you need for quite some time. I am often asked by people starting out what to buy. They usually don't want to spend the $75-100 I recommend but having gone through my learning curve I try to explain you'll be happier and more satisfied, leading to a better chance of never going back to smoking.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't think you rushed into anything. A Sigelei box is incredibly safe, and if you try and do anything unsafe it'll stop you :p i WISH i would have bought a Sig 150 when i first started, it would have saved me a ton of money. As long as you have trustworthy batteries you'll be fine. A Sigelei box won't explode in your pocket. Or in anyone else's pocket. And if a shop tells you otherwise they're just pissed that they didn't sell it to you themselves :D

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Holy shit man, you got lucky! I wish I had been exposed to high power regulated devices earlier. It would have saved me alot of money and headache.
I learned alot in my journey. From egos and ce4s, to ego twists and protanks and kayfuns, to mech tubes and mech boxes and rdas, to a sig 150 and lemo2 along with multiple RDAs.
Its funny, the sig 150 has been my end game, maybe.

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
Wish I started with a good setup too lol

Blew $150 at least on shitty pens, carts extra batteries. Probably more...

Have FT setup worth $60 and happier than a clam

Regulated mods, and running .4 ohms+ is safe. Its mech mods and like .1 ohm builds that can over draw from the battery.

No mfg has engineered these batteries for extreme amp discharge.... mainly these were 'borrowed' from LED flashlights and those draw nothing

VU Sponsors