Become a Patron!

new to vaping - throat burning

basically while l am a smoker it would be nice to cut down a bit not to mention l like playing MMOs and can get a bit problematic in a dungeon when l need a smoke but am busy trying not to die LOL. hence l purchased a vape kit.

firstly this is what l have (as it looks like the information would be useful): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXWF...lid=2IFP1I7XYGZCI&coliid=I2R57ANU9O6AOQ&psc=1

currently l have some spearmint flavour in it which is 18mg (or at least thats what it says on the bottle), by the looks of it l cant change the heat from 100c (its the lowest setting) but l can change the voltage which is currently set at 30 (as per instructions for new coil, since its a new buy made sense to follow the instructions, what few of them there were about actual vaping).

suffice to say lm hoping to find a way to stop the throat burn.. the cheap crappy ones l had didnt cause this issue but they tasted pretty nasty after a while hence the move over to the better kit, so l was hoping for some advice to help me accustom to the new hardware.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm guessing you mean the WATTAGE is set at 30 -- 30 volts would explode your eyeballs, nevermind your throat. :D

You could *try* lowering the wattage a bit, but you might need something pretty close to that, for your hardware to work correctly. The biggest culprit is almost certainly the 18mg nicotine, that's what most start at, but with much less efficient hardware, and nicotine does make up the biggest part of "throat hit" -- you could try 12mg oor 6mg, to see if it suits you better. Or, you could possibly find an ejuice higher in VG than PG, though you didn't mention that aspect; PG contributes to throat hit, and with nic that high, will cause a LOT of TH -- VG is smoother on the throat.

Andria

not sure on all the technical terms, pretty sure mg is the whole nicotine part, but see no mention of VG/PG etc on the container.. that said lve just noticed the expiry says 2016 lol..

pretty sure its this one tho: http://www.lite-ups.co.uk/spearmint-flavour-e-liquid

that said it would be interesting to find a place to source good priced e-liquids.. also be interesting to have an idea how it would work changing flavours as l know when lve used the crappier pen style e-cigs that changing liquids left a bad taste (equally you couldnt change the coils on those (but currently l only have one spare and lack the cash at the second to get more replacements).

appreciate tho.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
not sure on all the technical terms, pretty sure mg is the whole nicotine part, but see no mention of VG/PG etc on the container.. that said lve just noticed the expiry says 2016 lol..

pretty sure its this one tho: http://www.lite-ups.co.uk/spearmint-flavour-e-liquid

that said it would be interesting to find a place to source good priced e-liquids.. also be interesting to have an idea how it would work changing flavours as l know when lve used the crappier pen style e-cigs that changing liquids left a bad taste (equally you couldnt change the coils on those (but currently l only have one spare and lack the cash at the second to get more replacements).

appreciate tho.

With some flavors, you can change to another flavor without it being too awful, if the 2 flavors are complementary -- coffee to chocolate or vice-versa, choc to vanilla, etc. With any mints, you would probably only want to change to some other mint, because any mint is a very potent, pungent, and lingering taste.

If you're serious about wanting to switch to vaping, you really need to get some backups. Even if you just want to cut down on smoking, having only one setup is just a good way to smoke more, because pretty much all vape gear is excessively prone to "shit happens". What Khassy said is certainly possible, you could have burnt your wick, which would cause a bad taste and probably a burning sensation... though I still suspect it's most likely because of the high nicotine level. Hardly anyone vapes 18mg anymore, because modern vape hardware is so much more efficient than anything that's come before.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, that's kinda what I thought -- you went from a rather inefficient pen-style -- which is what a lot started with, using 18mg nicotine -- to a sub-ohm kit, which is MUCH more efficient; it gives much more vapor, hence more nicotine too, so you would definitely half the nic or even less - maybe 6mg. I'm surprised you haven't experienced the rather unpleasant symptoms that come with too much nic -- jitters, stomach pains, nausea, etc.

A sub-ohm coil means it has less resistance, and hence, more heat -- which could also cause more throat-hit, the burning sensation you mentioned. Some like that, some hate it. Try turning the wattage down a little, though as I said, a fairly high wattage is probably necessary to make that style of vape work properly. I think lower nicotine would probably suit you a lot better. And when you get more coils, look for some with higher ohms -- which will give greater resistance, and thus less heat. I can't really advise very much about that actual hardware, as I've never gone the sub-ohm route in vaping, so all I can really do is talk in generalities -- less nicotine is smoother, less heat is smoother, higher resistance is less heat.

Andria

well lve just ordered some 6mg bottles.. one of orange sherbert lol and some more spearmint which lm assuming l can just tip out old liquid then use the new stuff of the same flavor without too much issue, tho it would be nice for a new tank part so l could switch the battery pack on to make it easier to change flavours rather than waste coils, that said it could be interesting to get a switchable top thingie (the part that holds the liquid so l can switch between flavors).

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, it shouldn't be any problem to put a 6mg spearmint right into the same atty that's had spearmint.

As I said earlier, it's a good idea to get some backups, for "just in case" -- and as you said, to make switching flavors easier. You could use the same atty for different flavors, if you washed it thoroughly between them, but you'd definitely want a different coil if you're switching flavors using the same atty, or you'll get some blending of flavors -- which is sometimes ok, sometimes really not. :D The coils are the parts that you'll need lots of extras of, in any case, as they don't last too long -- how long, really depends on the juice itself -- sweeter ones tend to destroy coils faster.

Andria

useful information, soonest l can get hold of more coils is next month, however l only tend to use the ecig either when lm out of smokes or when lm playing Final Fantasy XD those dungeon runs make it very hard to roll a smoke lol. however l did invest in a new tank with the last of my amazon vouchers, so that should be here in 5 days, same with the new e-liquid.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
useful information, soonest l can get hold of more coils is next month, however l only tend to use the ecig either when lm out of smokes or when lm playing Final Fantasy XD those dungeon runs make it very hard to roll a smoke lol. however l did invest in a new tank with the last of my amazon vouchers, so that should be here in 5 days, same with the new e-liquid.

Oh I know.. my son used to be a WoW fanatic... I heard lots of DON'T TALK TO ME RIGHT NOW!!!!! :facepalm: :giggle:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
lm not that bad, tho it is annoying when lm called to do something and they cant wait for me to finish off lol.

It's just very fortunate for my son that I am not my mother -- I can just imagine how well such a statement would have gone down with her. :D :facepalm:

Andria

VU Sponsors