Become a Patron!

New to vaping with Snow Wolf mod

New to the forums here and also new to vaping. I quit smoking as my new years resolution and decided to take up vaping. I bought myself an Ego one mega starter kit and had nothing but problems with it. I had constant leakage out of my air intake and I was getting constant dry hits out of it. The few days it was working well, I knew I would be able to stick with vaping as an alternative to smoking and as a hobby, but I am still learning. It may have been a problem with the way I set it up, but my new setup has been fine and I set it up the same way.

I just bought myself a 200w TC Snow Wolf box mod and a Uwell Crown sub ohm tank. Maybe not the best setup for a beginner, but I wanted to make the investment and get what I would eventually want early.

I have some questions I was hoping I could get some help with. My tank came preinstalled with .25 ohm coils and I can't get a hit lasting for more than a second without my drip tip burning my lips and the vapor burning my throat. I have tried different wattages between 25 and 90, and although a notice a difference in flavor, I can't take that burn away. I am using 6 mg juice. Would I be better off using coils with a higher resistance to take away the burn? The tank came with a .5 coil and a nickel tc control .15 coil. What would the differences be in using those coils instead?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't use Nickel/Titanium (Ni/Ti) coils unless you're using Temp Control on your mod, it simply won't work they heat up too fast (note Stainless Steel also heats up very fast but if you set it up properly you can still use it in power settings, I do exclusively). Thing is with that lower resistance plus the stainless it can be quite a bit of heat. However I know people use that so I wouldn't say you can't do it, just perhaps looking into the .5Ω coil might be worthwhile.

Higher resistances take longer to ramp up as well as different material. Kanthal < SS < Nichrome < Ni/Ti as far as ramp up time as I understand, though I don't have any experience with Nichrome or the TC stuff. You're on SS with the Crown Coils.

Few things I'd say.

• First, Priming, make sure to soak your cotton before putting it in, and I mean really soak. Keep dripping juice in till it's not soaking in after a few seconds. Even if your hand gets juicy while you're dripping it in, it's worth it you really want that thing ready to take a beating, then put it on low wattage and start vaping a bit to get it used to pulling in juice. Priming is absolutely key, and while I don't have a crown I've read it's very demanding in this area for whatever reason.
  • Try that .5Ω coil.
  • What is your juice? High VG? VG is thicker and wicks slower meaning higher chances at dry hits. Though the Crown should be capable of handling any of the juices.
  • For the drip tip heat, is your tank heating up too? If so you have an issue hopefully the above resolves the problem, if not then try a more heat friendly drip tip. Double layered ones, different materials or even ones with heat sinks(though I don't trust them to do much).
These are just general ideas, I'm sure someone will come in and give more direct ideas, but it's a start.

Thanks for the reply! I have had zero issues with dry hits and leakage on my crown tank, those were the major issues I was having with my eGo one.

From what I have been reading online, .25 ohms seems like a pretty low resistance coil compared to what most people are using. As soon as my tank is empty, I'll be sure to see how that .5 coil works for me. I'm extremely hesitant to even try using the .15 ohm coil.

As for the drip tip heat, it is definitely just the drip tip getting hot. I can't feel any temperature changes to the touch on the tank itself. I may need to invest in a glass or ceramic drip tip instead.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah try the .5Ω, look into other drip tips, and don't touch the .15Ω coil until you understand how to set yourself up with Temp Control.

And sorry, I thought you were saying you had burning hot vapor with the crown, it shouldn't get like that. It may get very warm to the point that it's uncomfortable, but it shouldn't burn. That just sounded like you weren't getting enough juice to the coil and it was overheating which quickly turns into burnt cotton. Dry hits aren't necessarily dry, but they can just be not wet enough if that makes sense, your coil is heating up faster than the juice can wick and cool it down. The fact that you said you're having those kinds of issues even at 25w makes it sound like something is wrong, just a question of what, and with premade coils it can simply be a mass production flaw and a dud coilhead.

Just put my .5 coil in and things are working a lot better. I actually ran out of my 6mg juice and had to put in some 12mg juice a friend gave me. I lowered the wattage down to 40 and the temperature is great now. I don't get as much flavor as when I try out the higher wattages, but the vapor is nice and cool how I like it. I get more flavor with higher wattages, but the vapor is too warm for my liking. I think I'll have a nice setup when I am back on 6mg juice because the throat hit is way too much for me to take crazy rips off of the thing with 12 mg juice. Thanks for all the help!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just put my .5 coil in and things are working a lot better. I actually ran out of my 6mg juice and had to put in some 12mg juice a friend gave me. I lowered the wattage down to 40 and the temperature is great now. I don't get as much flavor as when I try out the higher wattages, but the vapor is nice and cool how I like it. I get more flavor with higher wattages, but the vapor is too warm for my liking. I think I'll have a nice setup when I am back on 6mg juice because the throat hit is way too much for me to take crazy rips off of the thing with 12 mg juice. Thanks for all the help!
Glad to hear, yeah 12mg is a bit much for a high quality system like you got, I used to vape 12mg with my Atlantis, but even that was pushing it. Vaping 12mg with the setups I have now, well I'd be feeling quite queasy (though personally I'd enjoy the throat hit).

VU Sponsors