Become a Patron!

New to Vaping

JanIB

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Decided it was time to give Vaping a try, tried to quit smoking cold turkey but was a no go this time for me.
Quit smoking cold turkey for 5.5 years, picked up again for 18 mo. time to give vaping a try especially since my Doc said it had helped many of her patients quit. (not quite a all out recomendation but you get the hint).
did lots of online research since no idea where to start, and was still confused. Went to local Vape store and they suggested starting with inexpensive eGO A10 and tobacco menthol flavor #6 nicotine. Started 6/18 and it's getting easier, miss the handling of the cigs but not the rest of the junk that goes with it. Not sure if I am doing the vaping correctly, still coughing sometimes.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Decided it was time to give Vaping a try, tried to quit smoking cold turkey but was a no go this time for me.
Quit smoking cold turkey for 5.5 years, picked up again for 18 mo. time to give vaping a try especially since my Doc said it had helped many of her patients quit. (not quite a all out recomendation but you get the hint).
did lots of online research since no idea where to start, and was still confused. Went to local Vape store and they suggested starting with inexpensive eGO A10 and tobacco menthol flavor #6 nicotine. Started 6/18 and it's getting easier, miss the handling of the cigs but not the rest of the junk that goes with it. Not sure if I am doing the vaping correctly, still coughing sometimes.

Welcome to VU and congratulations on giving up the smokes!

It's normal to sometimes cough when first switching to vaping from smoking - it goes away with time.

Stick with it - it's worth the effort :)

JanIB

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you! Think I am trying to inhale way to hard to get the cig nicotine quick fix, from my salem lights. I just remembered my last quit I coughed my lungs out getting rid of all the tar and crap for about a month so I 'm sure its a combo of both. Started with the menthol juice at store and think I want something else. maybe fruity or lemony. Getting familiar with the forum here and looking around. Have no idea what yall are talking about MOD and coils and making own juices, but I am sure I will get it in time. Where do yall get these cool stickers counting the cigs and days and $

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thank you! Think I am trying to inhale way to hard to get the cig nicotine quick fix, from my salem lights. I just remembered my last quit I coughed my lungs out getting rid of all the tar and crap for about a month so I 'm sure its a combo of both. Started with the menthol juice at store and think I want something else. maybe fruity or lemony. Getting familiar with the forum here and looking around. Have no idea what yall are talking about MOD and coils and making own juices, but I am sure I will get it in time. Where do yall get these cool stickers counting the cigs and days and $

You put them under the signature option on your profile page.

Mine is from REO, which they let you copy and paste from their website. I'd google it to find one you like.

It can be deeply satisfying to see how many times you didn't light up and how much you didn't spend - at least spend on tobacco, lol

JanIB

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Vape Store in town here was very very helpful in getting me set up and showing me how to use the unit so very grateful for that. If you are a beginner I would definately recommend googling your local shops for reviews, that's how I found this store, since we have about 15 in a 10 mile radius. Just my 2cents worth.

JanIB

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So if I want to try new flavors should I just buy another Ego A10 or get a extra container for it ? Maybe I will head over and see what they say.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So if I want to try new flavors should I just buy another Ego A10 or get a extra container for it ? Maybe I will head over and see what they say.

It never hurts to have multiple devises - back up vapes are essential to vaping success.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Flavors that are the same or similar I use in my tanks all the time but I have 3 separate with one for Tobaccos, one for Deserts and one for Fruits. I do wash them between flavors but that depends on just how different they are from each other. Since it has to do with your taste preference that is entirely up to you. With very strong flavors like menthol that is a hang around type of flavor so for me that is a definite wash thoroughly and new coil!

JanIB

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It never hurts to have multiple devises - back up vapes are essential to vaping success.
Good Idea, I will do that. I see much cheaper online at MVS 18.95, vs $40 I paid at store but they gave me a 30ml liquid included. so I will probably support them right now. Thanks, Janice

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome-Dragon.gif

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jan and welcome to the V/U family. Sometimes the coughing is from getting all that crap from the ciggy's out of your lungs, stick with it

StillWaters

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome, Jan!! Yes, the coughing will take a while to subside. I started pretty much like you and am now 3+ months off those stinky cigs. I tried some of the tobacco flavors, but now I am really preferring the fruit/dessert flavors... Such a refreshing change from that nasty cig crap :bliss:

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good job on choosing to drop the paper sticks, Janice. I quit a 32yr habit early last Feb myself.
I started with (and still use for work/daily) a Kanger e-smart stick. Its a little smaller than the AIO (oh, btw, its AIO as in "All In One").
I'd like to try one of those though.. it's probably a step up from the e-smart.
When Im sitting around here, I use a ijust2 battery on a Cleito tank.. it's a little too hot for my liking, but it works (lots of vape).
The main thing is.. you need to be happy with your vape. If not.. consult your dealer, or ask in these forums (great group here).
I know I had no intention on quitting, and did.. so Im thinking "anyone can".. lol.
Why did you go with Menthol ? Did you smoke menthol cigs before ?
I smoked regular butts and vape with a tobacco flavour plus I add a few drops of blueberry nowadays.. just to jazz it up a touch.

JanIB

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HI All, Thank you for the warm welcome! So
Good job on choosing to drop the paper sticks, Janice. I quit a 32yr habit early last Feb myself.
I started with (and still use for work/daily) a Kanger e-smart stick. Its a little smaller than the AIO (oh, btw, its AIO as in "All In One").
I'd like to try one of those though.. it's probably a step up from the e-smart.
When Im sitting around here, I use a ijust2 battery on a Cleito tank.. it's a little too hot for my liking, but it works (lots of vape).
The main thing is.. you need to be happy with your vape. If not.. consult your dealer, or ask in these forums (great group here).
I know I had no intention on quitting, and did.. so Im thinking "anyone can".. lol.
Why did you go with Menthol ? Did you smoke menthol cigs before ?
I smoked regular butts and vape with a tobacco flavour plus I add a few drops of blueberry nowadays.. just to jazz it up a touch.
Yes I did smoke Salem so started with methol. Went back to my vape store got a different sales person and he said my coil was burnt, must not have been primed properly by the first guy. so started with a fresh coil, and went well for another week. went on vacation and best friends are smokers just killed me, smoked for a week. so mad at myself. went

JanIB

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
also upped my nicotine level to 18 (not good for the AI0 but was the kick I needed before I went on vacation) the smoking fall back was just habbit as the higher nic was starting to satisfy. Mad at myself but ah well start again. Went into vape store yesterday as the AI0 was getting harsh so needed new coil. when I was there picked up a kangertech topbox mini, I decided to go with fruity flavors now and get rid of the Menthol even though I had a 3/4 bottle left. It was torturing me. So now I need to figure out how to refine the kangertech as the most knowledgeable person was not working today at vape store. Anyone have one or should I go looking at other threads. Confused about Nickel coil it came with and the temperature/watts thing.

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think the first thing to figure out for your wattage etc, is are you a mouth-to-lung (MTL) vaper or a direct-to-lung (DTL or DL) vaper ?

MTL is much like smoking a cig.. draw in by pulling your tongue back, then inhale to lungs from there.
DTL is more like smoking a spl*** or taking a breath .. draw directly into lungs.

Since DTL users tend to draw a faster air stream, you would want any air flow restrictors opened up and a higher wattage
A MTL user (like me) would typically restrict airflow shutters and use a lower wattage (I like 20w on my new Subox mini kit).

They installed the 0.15ohm Ni coil in it ? Im not sure that's in your best interest. At the very least, always keep in mind that your rig is capable of 75w and may reset to that after a battery out/in cycle. 75w at 0.15ohm is a little over 22.4amps of current, so a 30a continuous battery would be a safe choice.. perhaps you can see the brand/amps of your battery by taking off the side door ? You would never run it at 22amps, to be sure, but its important to protect against the very rare "oops" that could be very serious.

If it came with a 0.5ohm coil , maybe try that instead ?

JanIB

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think the first thing to figure out for your wattage etc, is are you a mouth-to-lung (MTL) vaper or a direct-to-lung (DTL or DL) vaper ?

MTL is much like smoking a cig.. draw in by pulling your tongue back, then inhale to lungs from there.
DTL is more like smoking a spl*** or taking a breath .. draw directly into lungs.

Since DTL users tend to draw a faster air stream, you would want any air flow restrictors opened up and a higher wattage
A MTL user (like me) would typically restrict airflow shutters and use a lower wattage (I like 20w on my new Subox mini kit).

They installed the 0.15ohm Ni coil in it ? Im not sure that's in your best interest. At the very least, always keep in mind that your rig is capable of 75w and may reset to that after a battery out/in cycle. 75w at 0.15ohm is a little over 22.4amps of current, so a 30a continuous battery would be a safe choice.. perhaps you can see the brand/amps of your battery by taking off the side door ? You would never run it at 22amps, to be sure, but its important to protect against the very rare "oops" that could be very serious

If it came with a 0.5ohm coil , maybe try that instead ?

Hi D.
I am a MTL vaper right now, I am trying to DTL since the vape store person told me that would be best in trying to quit. I don't know. Cant handle the Vape first thing in morning, cough and cough and cough.
I bought the Kangertech topbox mini, they guy at the vape store just primed what was in the cartridge. I have figured out now how to put it on the temp setting so tried it all day on the 300 degree range, had to up it to 330 and 1/2 airflow. The battery says 3.7v 2500mAh why do you think the .5 coil would be better. I don't understand the amps/watts/v stuff.
Thanks,Janice

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just my opinion, but I think MTL is best for someone trying to 'replace' cigs. I dont know anyone that DL'd cigs.
Ive never tried temperature adjustable devices so Im not sure if 300deg seems right ? Obviously the fire end of a cig is pretty hot too, and we didnt regularly burn our lips..
When press your button, does your display show actual volts or current or watts ?
The 2500mah rating on your battery means that it is technically capable of 2500mA (or 2.5 amps) of power for one hour, then it's dead (although you would recharge before it got this dead). It could also do 5 amps for 30 mins, or 1.25amps for 2 hours (note the relationship of amps x hours stays the same).
The more important thing for safety is to know your battery's max current. Better batteries quote 'continuous' current instead of intermittent use.

VU Sponsors