Become a Patron!

New user need advice

G'day, I am very new to this but so far do like it a lot! I bought myself an eleaf istick power 80w with an ijust 5ml atomiser. I am currently running a 0.27ohm coil at 26W. I have been going up and down on the wattage but still can't find a happy spot. It is very throaty and leaves a dry taste in my mouth. Any help to adjust this would be great! What wattage is best for various coils? I have looked at the coil to power table but it doesn't go down that low. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Luke

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi Vapaluke, welcome to the Underground :wave:

How many msg of nic is in your juice? It may be too high and causing too much throat hit for your personal tastes

Until then turn the wattage down as low as it will go and still fire - then go up in small increments till you find the "sweet spot"

If you don't find a setting you like, you might consider getting higher ohm coils and/or changing your juice

Hi Vapaluke, welcome to the Underground :wave:

How many msg of nic is in your juice? It may be too high and causing too much throat hit for your personal tastes

Until then turn the wattage down as low as it will go and still fire - then go up in small increments till you find the "sweet spot"

If you don't find a setting you like, you might consider getting higher ohm coils and/or changing your juice

Thanks, it is 6 mg strength. I started at 10W and didn't really get much but seems higher then 30W is a bit throaty. Could it be the juice ratio? I'm running 60/40.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
G'day, I am very new to this but so far do like it a lot! I bought myself an eleaf istick power 80w with an ijust 5ml atomiser. I am currently running a 0.27ohm coil at 26W. I have been going up and down on the wattage but still can't find a happy spot. It is very throaty and leaves a dry taste in my mouth. Any help to adjust this would be great! What wattage is best for various coils? I have looked at the coil to power table but it doesn't go down that low. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Luke
PG dries my throat bad, I use high VG, no more dryness nor dehydration = dry mouth-throat.

Like Juice said, start low with the coil, work up until it suits you.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also always prime your coil very well to avoid dry hits.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

PG dries my throat bad, I use high VG, no more dryness nor dehydration = dry mouth-throat.

Like Juice said, start low with the coil, work up until it suits you.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try and see what I come up with cheers.

Murray_B

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cheers,
Luke
There is a huge problem, Luke, with a lack of information about safe vaping power levels. Most vaping shops do not even have ambient formaldehyde meters even though the devices are readily available for under $400. It is as if the entire industry is trying to get itself banned.

Some good information on this subject is posted at http://www.vapingpost.com/2016/10/0...onstantinos-farsalinos-at-vapexpo-2016-paris/

Note the text, "Jacques le Houezec mentions that there is currently a movement among e-liquid manufacturers and among the vapers, themselves, to reduce nicotine strength. The obvious issue is to get exposed to more toxins but the tobacco expert recalls that the risk is also to relapse into smoking."

My daily vape is 24 mg/ml unflavoured 50/50 PG/VG juice at about 4 watts. I use about 1.0 ml/day and it is very satisfying. Each coil lasts me for five or six weeks. Good luck with your gear.

There is a huge problem, Luke, with a lack of information about safe vaping power levels. Most vaping shops do not even have ambient formaldehyde meters even though the devices are readily available for under $400. It is as if the entire industry is trying to get itself banned.

Some good information on this subject is posted at http://www.vapingpost.com/2016/10/0...onstantinos-farsalinos-at-vapexpo-2016-paris/

Note the text, "Jacques le Houezec mentions that there is currently a movement among e-liquid manufacturers and among the vapers, themselves, to reduce nicotine strength. The obvious issue is to get exposed to more toxins but the tobacco expert recalls that the risk is also to relapse into smoking."

My daily vape is 24 mg/ml unflavoured 50/50 PG/VG juice at about 4 watts. I use about 1.0 ml/day and it is very satisfying. Each coil lasts me for five or six weeks. Good luck with your gear.

Thankyou Murray b I will have a look at the link. Thanks for the info. Cheers

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm calling bullshit on the Formaldehyde, the Diacetyl and pretty much most of what that link has. That bullshit has been long since thoroughly debunked once peer reviewed.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cheers,
Luke

Hey Luke,

I'm nearly 100% sure it's the nicotine content.

I know juices go as high as 24mg/mL, but considering you've got a very nice device (I actually almost bought an iPower yesterday), and a pretty thirsty tank with realtively big coils... 6 is probably too much.

I have three tanks that take the same style of coils as your iJust, and I can BARELY tolerate 3mg. I usually vape 1.5mg or less. If you can't find 1.5mg, maybe buy a bottle of 3mg and a bottle of 0mg and combine the two.

Doesn't make sense to vape 6mg if you can't even use your device to its potential.

You probably have an 0.3 coil. (the device will read every coil slightly differently, so don't panic about the 0.26). I happen to have one here, it's reading 0.29 ohms, and I'm vaping very comfortably at 50 watts. Juice is 1.5mg.

Another idea: Get a drip tip (the part up top) with adjustable airflow. This will increase the air/vapor ratio as it adds air to the vapor after it's created, but before it gets into your mouth. All my tanks have adjustable top airflow, and I use 'em :).

Best of luck!

Murray_B

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm calling bullshit on the Formaldehyde, the Diacetyl and pretty much most of what that link has. That bullshit has been long since thoroughly debunked once peer reviewed.

Why are you quoting my response to the OP's question? My post just contains a pointer to accurate information on the topic. It seemed to me that the OP wanted straight answers to simple questions and not the usual loud squawking by Flapper-jaws.

Then you go on to rant about how the "bullshit" has been "debunked". Do you mean the NEJM letter of about two years ago that was debunked by people like Dr. K. Farsalinos.

Here is what Dr. Farsalinos said on the same page I referred to before, "The message I want to pass to vapers is that your consumption level defines the risk: the more you consume e-liquid the more you will be exposed to toxicity, nicotine is no danger. Direct lung inhalation is pleasant but a risky pattern. At least you are aware about the risk".

Is he right about that or are going to try and debunk the chief debunker?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why are you quoting my response to the OP's question? My post just contains a pointer to accurate information on the topic. It seemed to me that the OP wanted straight answers to simple questions and not the usual loud squawking by Flapper-jaws.

Then you go on to rant about how the "bullshit" has been "debunked". Do you mean the NEJM letter of about two years ago that was debunked by people like Dr. K. Farsalinos.

Here is what Dr. Farsalinos said on the same page I referred to before, "The message I want to pass to vapers is that your consumption level defines the risk: the more you consume e-liquid the more you will be exposed to toxicity, nicotine is no danger. Direct lung inhalation is pleasant but a risky pattern. At least you are aware about the risk".

Is he right about that or are going to try and debunk the chief debunker?

The Formaldehyde and Diacetyl has been thoroughly debunked once peer reviewed as I stated. You are sourcing one Doctors opinion and perpetuating the disinformation.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The quote from that doctor is meaningless, unless referring to people who just decide to pick up vaping as a casual hobby, which is an extremely low percentage. Almost all of us are former smokers. It's like saying: "The more time you spend in the sun, the higher your risk of skin cancer." While the statement is true, is it a reasonable solution to spend the rest of our lives in the shadows?

Similarly, should we throw away our vapes because of a theoretical risk? We'd all agree it's better than smoking. And I definitely call bullshit on the risk of vaping leading to a relapse into smoking. Pure common sense is all that's needed to know that someone who is neither smoking nor vaping is far more likely to pick up the cancer sticks again.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheers,
Luke
Hey Luke, welcome to the Underground, Mate.
The settings you're using are close to correct, I regularly vape either a 1. Ohm at 15 watts
or .5 Ohms at 35 watts, give or take.

PG based juice typically has better flavor reproduction, VG adds a slight sweetness and makes for bigger clouds.
VG also feels more like ciggie smoke in your mouth and lungs because it expands more (bigger clouds)
Like @JuicyLucy stated above, throat hit (which I assume is what you meant by throatiness) depends on the
amount of nicotine in your juice.

I vaped 24 mg/ml for years but currently cut down to 20 mg/ml when using tanks\or 12 mg/ml when dripping.
The stimulant effect of nicotine seems to increase when evaporated at lower resistance levels.
So if you subohm you should adjust accordingly.

If you're not familiar with Ohm's law learn it and try to stay within the confines of the law
so you don't blow your jaw off, even if you never use mech mods.
Finally, do your own research
because we vapers are an opinionated lot and while many of us know what we're doing
as you may have noted some of us don't know jack but act like we do...

Good luck, Mate.

Murray_B

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Formaldehyde and Diacetyl has been thoroughly debunked once peer reviewed as I stated. You are sourcing one Doctors opinion and perpetuating the disinformation.

Exactly WHO debunked WHAT and WHEN did they do it?

The first claim of formaldehyde in vapour that I recall reading in the mass media was the now famous letter to the NEJM entitled, "Hidden Formaldehye in E-Cigarette Aerosols" published a couple of years ago.

Soon after that letter was published Dr. K. Farsalinos obtained details about the experiment from the researchers and "debunked" their claim. Dr. Farsalinos showed that no human vaper could tolerate the acrid taste of vapour at some of the higher power levels used in the experiments. The experimental conditions did not apply to the real world and the conclusions of that study were not valid.

Most sensible people agreed with Dr. Farsalinos at the time. Back then the most powerful mods were maybe 50 watts. Today there are 300 watt mods and Dr. Farsilinos now says, "[...] the more you consume e-liquid, the more you will be exposed to toxicity". He also stated, " [...] the strength he vapes, 18 mg/ml, could no longer be found in the stands of the Vapexpo event. And this is the strength he has been vaping since he started with e-cigarettes."

Some power-vapers do not like to hear that and are now trying to discredit even the pro-vaping researchers. That is confusing many people and causing doubts about the safety of vaping in general. When these confused people ask simple questions on vaping forums they often get the cackling of power-vaping Flap-jaws in response instead of straight answers. Those lunatic responses create even more confusion and that causes many new vapers to quit vaping entirely and return to smoking where the hazards are known.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly WHO debunked WHAT and WHEN did they do it?

The first claim of formaldehyde in vapour that I recall reading in the mass media was the now famous letter to the NEJM entitled, "Hidden Formaldehye in E-Cigarette Aerosols" published a couple of years ago.

Soon after that letter was published Dr. K. Farsalinos obtained details about the experiment from the researchers and "debunked" their claim. Dr. Farsalinos showed that no human vaper could tolerate the acrid taste of vapour at some of the higher power levels used in the experiments. The experimental conditions did not apply to the real world and the conclusions of that study were not valid.

Most sensible people agreed with Dr. Farsalinos at the time. Back then the most powerful mods were maybe 50 watts. Today there are 300 watt mods and Dr. Farsilinos now says, "[...] the more you consume e-liquid, the more you will be exposed to toxicity". He also stated, " [...] the strength he vapes, 18 mg/ml, could no longer be found in the stands of the Vapexpo event. And this is the strength he has been vaping since he started with e-cigarettes."

Some power-vapers do not like to hear that and are now trying to discredit even the pro-vaping researchers. That is confusing many people and causing doubts about the safety of vaping in general. When these confused people ask simple questions on vaping forums they often get the cackling of power-vaping Flap-jaws in response instead of straight answers. Those lunatic responses create even more confusion and that causes many new vapers to quit vaping entirely and return to smoking where the hazards are known.

Just do a simple Google on it, the actual studies are out there.

This shit has been so hashed, rehashed frankly it's tiresome.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Maybe you could try a Higher Ω coil like .5Ω and I see they are compatible to the Aspire Atlantis and Triton, Melo coils! I use Atlantis coils in most of my tanks, and I have 1.0Ω coils that I enjoy ( above ohm) the .3 may be a little harsh for you! Could be your liquid, again some liquids taste harsher than others, if you can go to a vape shop and try samples! Also a tighter drip tip opening, for more MTL some of those wide bore tips are too much and only DL hitters!
Make sure you prime your coil when you 1st install , let the tank with liquid set for at least 20 minutes and ramp up the watts slowly until you like the flavor! There are many You Tube videos, which is very helpful! Just type in your tank, Aspire coils are very nice and you may like them better for your tank!
Welcome !

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
+1 for Aspire coils. Good product that will fit in your tank. I too have three Atlantis-compatible tanks (Triton 1, Triton 2, Vapeston Maganus), and I got an Atlantis V2 on the way in the Vape Mail.

VU Sponsors