Become a Patron!

New Vaper trying to Quit Smoking

Hello all, new vaper here, trying to quit smoking, and in need of a little more help. My friend got me started with this, and recommended I get a Smok X-Priv, and an IJoy Limitless RDTA (both cause of a sale price, and the ability for the Smok to grow with me) which I did. Then, I went on a buying spree, cause while I sort of enjoy it, I am looking for something smoother/less harsh.

The problem I have, is that when I Vape DL, I end up having an annoying cough (more so than my smokers cough) on the exhale. Ive tried inhaling/exhaling slower, lowering the wattage, upping the wattage, and going from 6mg to 3mg juice.

Im currently using my X-Priv with a Crown 3 tank, at 90w and the airflow about 1/8th an inch open. Ive played with different airflows, and even though it whistles a little bit, it makes me cough the least.

Here is everything Ive currently purchased:
X-Priv 225w
Dovpo M VV 280w
Smok TFV12 Prince
UWell Crown 3
Freemax Fireluke Pro
IJoy Limitless RDTA (I got 2 by accident)
Uwell Valyrian
IJoy Cigpet ECO12
Bunch of PreMade Coils (80pcs set)
Cotton Bacon Prime

I know, I know, I bought too much stuff. Mostly it was because they were on sale, or came as recommendations from a couple friends, because Im having a hard time comfortably vaping.

Ive tried almost all of them except the FireLuke and the Limitless, Fireluke comes tomorrow, and the RDTA is more cause it was on sale, and for when I start building. The Cigpet just got too hot to use, so Im thinking it might not be compatible with the XPriv. The Valyrian was nice, but only at below 90w, which Ive heard will just boil juice and isnt good for the tank. The TFV12 Prince I couldnt get the airflow right, and somehow it leaked a lot for me, which I cant figure out where Im going wrong on that one.

I just need help trying to get a smoother vape feeling, less burn and hopefully no cough involved. I dont really care much about how huge my cloud is, and I want it to be discreet as far as the cloud goes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chibisaurus

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The only way to do that, Is play with your items.
You have to find out what settings work best for you.

In the morning time, I have to change my watts from 90 to 60 because I cough after not vaping for 7/8 hours.
As the day goes by, I up my watts by to 90.
I use my vents at half closed.
and I vape with 1.5 Nic

Its based on personal preferences.
No specific set up / mod will get you to stop coughing.

You actually might benefit from a pod system with nic salt.
https://www.elementvape.com/aspire-breeze-2-aio-pod-kit

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU and congrats on quitting smoking. Since you are having a hard time with the DTL vaping style especially since you are new to it, might be a good plan to go MTL until you get acclimated to how vaping does you. This would be immediately more enjoyable albeit less vapor production, then as you adjust you can start going DTL and increasing the airflow.

Good luck and good work quitting.

HBVapeShop

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
It could also be the quality of juice depending on what you're vaping. Certain companies/brands will use cheaper nicotine which degrades faster and becomes harsh quicker. What makes you cough? the amount of vapor? is there a tickle in your throat? reflex?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Try using a 20% PG and 80% VG blend ejuice, if you still find it harsh.. go to 10/90 or MAX VG, I think you can even get 100%VG but you have to special order it. It is the PG for the most part that is giving the harshness or "throat hit"

WotofoOfficial

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
VU Challenge Sponsor
you need to try a lot of things for different hardware, we cannot speak on behalf of the brands BUT

1) try lowering the wattage and slowly increasing the watts to desired effect
2) need to properly saturate the coils with juice
3) need to secure the coil properly and avoid cross threading
4) check the device manual for any options
5) you can also try using a pod system with discreet clouds and high nicotine nicsalt juices

Thank you all for the great advice! I ended up making another purchase, the SnowWolf MFeng kit. I love it. I dont cough nearly as much unless Im chaining, and it gives me the hit that Im really looking for, and only mild coughing. I found DTL isnt a bother if I start the vape, and the last little bit of air I can get is through my nose, and not from the vape. That seems to give me the least likelyhood of coughing.

But I have noticed that my coughing produces crud, so Im thinking that maybe my cough isnt so much vape related, but more like my lungs chucking out the garbage from cigarettes. I am still smoking a couple cigarettes in a day, but not remotely close to the 2 packs a day I was smoking, now a pack lasts about 2.5 days, which was unheard of for me.

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
The crud is the best part it means you are cleansing your system, congrats and best of luck to you!!!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome aboard...you'll figure it out, it's just a lot of info to absorb in a short time.....:vino:

G>O>M

Member For 1 Year
same situation and much the same gear
i bought 12mg as thats what i was using when i first tried years ago with the cigarette types but could never get a decent throat hit
that was really harsh at anywhere near the settings you read about
but im really happy using the x-priv and prince with the Q4 at 28 - 32 watts with the air open only 1/8"

starting the vape then switching on for 2-3 secs then finishing the vape
no coughs and a good throat hit DTL

VU Sponsors