Become a Patron!

New VaporShark rDNA30

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just picked it up. And dayum!!! I thought I loved my Provari. I think the P is gonna be collecting a little dust for a while. Love this thing. I had an MVP2 for a short time and didn't really like box mods. This one is different. Fits so good in the hand. Well built. Solid. And now I can actually drip again. Sold off my mechs in anticipation of the rDNA arriving.

20140827_123307~01 (1).jpg

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@WilliamC83 Did you ever get in touch with j-wraps about possible doing some sort of clear protective film piece for the DNA and rDNA???

IDonn0

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just picked it up. And dayum!!! I thought I loved my Provari. I think the P is gonna be collecting a little dust for a while. Love this thing. I had an MVP2 for a short time and didn't really like box mods. This one is different. Fits so good in the hand. Well built. Solid. And now I can actually drip again. Sold off my mechs in anticipation of the rDNA arriving.

View attachment 4454

I knew you would love it :) Congrats

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Does anyone know what the recommended mAh wall wart for the rDNA is?? I have them all the way from 800mAh to 3200mAh. I don't necessarily want to use the highest because I discovered with my MVP that when I used a higher mAh charger it did charge faster, but did not hold a charge as long. When I used a 900mAh I got 2-3 times the puffs on the counter as I did using the highest.

IDonn0

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone know what the recommended mAh wall wart for the rDNA is?? I have them all the way from 800mAh to 3200mAh. I don't necessarily want to use the highest because I discovered with my MVP that when I used a higher mAh charger it did charge faster, but did not hold a charge as long. When I used a 900mAh I got 2-3 times the puffs on the counter as I did using the highest.

Isn't the rDNA internally regulated to 800mah?

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@WilliamC83 Did you ever get in touch with j-wraps about possible doing some sort of clear protective film piece for the DNA and rDNA???

Yes I did actually. They do have wraps (clear, textured & designs) for the VS DNA & rDNA but they don't cover around the 510 connection. Here's the response I got regarding a request for custom cut pieces for around the 510 on the rDNA:

"We looked into it but the pieces around the 510 are too small for the wrap to stay. Every time you tighten the atty it will make the wrap loose. Also, juice and condensation make the wrap loose. Small pieces like that are prone to becoming loose.

We don't mind adding a little vinyl to your order so you can cut it yourself if you would like."

I actually have a clear J-Wrap for a kayfun 3.1 that I never used, so I think I'm gonna cut some pieces from it & try it myself. J-Wraps did make some good points though, the pieces required in my design would be quite small, so screwing down atty's might (or might not) catch them & pull them off, especially if juice gets on the adhesive. Ive been screwing the Nautilus Mini on & off my rDNA several times a day for a couple days now & I don't see any wear around the 510 at all. It doesn't seem to actually be making contact with the case around the 510, like it sits just a hair above it which is great if it truly is. If the 510 connection sits just a hair above the case then atty's shouldn't make contact with it & a wrap on that part won't be necessary.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes I did actually. They do have wraps (clear, textured & designs) for the VS DNA & rDNA but they don't cover around the 510 connection. Here's the response I got regarding a request for custom cut pieces for around the 510 on the rDNA:

"We looked into it but the pieces around the 510 are too small for the wrap to stay. Every time you tighten the atty it will make the wrap loose. Also, juice and condensation make the wrap loose. Small pieces like that are prone to becoming loose.

We don't mind adding a little vinyl to your order so you can cut it yourself if you would like."

I actually have a clear J-Wrap for a kayfun 3.1 that I never used, so I think I'm gonna cut some pieces from it & try it myself. J-Wraps did make some good points though, the pieces required in my design would be quite small, so screwing down atty's might (or might not) catch them & pull them off, especially if juice gets on the adhesive. Ive been screwing the Nautilus Mini on & off my rDNA several times a day for a couple days now & I don't see any wear around the 510 at all. It doesn't seem to actually be making contact with the case around the 510, like it sits just a hair above it which is great if it truly is. If the 510 connection sits just a hair above the case then atty's shouldn't make contact with it & a wrap on that part won't be necessary.

I have a few fine scratches on my already from screwing on one of my Kayfuns. Nothing is protruding past the base so I dunno what caused it. I think I am just gonna have to accept the fact that there will be some wear in that area.

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a few fine scratches on my already from screwing on one of my Kayfuns. Nothing is protruding past the base so I dunno what caused it. I think I am just gonna have to accept the fact that there will be some wear in that area.

Can you please post some pics of these scratches for us? I'm very curious to see where they start & what part of the atty base is making contact. I have a kayfun 3.1 clone but I haven't put it on the rDNA yet, enjoying the Nautilus Mini so much I haven't felt the need to. My kayfun clone worked great for about 11 months & then for some unknown reason the flavor just disappeared. I get great vapor but no matter what build I do, what resistance, what wick etc. I just can't seem to get good flavor anymore, its been DRIVING ME MAD!!!! For the life of me I can't figure out what is wrong, everything looks fine & its REALLY FRUSTRATING!! I have a feeling that it has something to do with it being a clone. Clones are made from cheaper steel & cheaper machining processes with less precise tolerances, so after months of use those already sub-par tolerances get even worse. I think that's why it worked great at first but after months & months of building, taking it apart, cleaning, filling etc it no longer has those tight, precise tolerances needed to function properly.

So what do you guys think would be an ideal RTA for the rDNA? I really want a SquapeR but $175 for an RDA is a little much (& no more clones for this vaper, you get what you pay for), so I'm leaning towards a limited edition "Polished" Russian 91%. I seriously enjoyed my kayfun when it was working right, excellent vape & that was off a clone so a genuine should be better. I REALLY like the mirror polished finish on the limited edition Russian 91% & I think it would look SICK AS TITS on the rDAN. Ive heard from a few people who said they prefer the Russian over the Kayfun, something about the AFC being better. What do you think fellow vapers?

Last edited:

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@WilliamC83 Here are the scratches. As I said not exactly sure where they came from. The afc screws and fill screws are below flush. Not gonna worry about it too much. I am anal about keeping my devices pristine. But this is an area that there is going to be no avoiding getting worn. It is covered all the time anyway so I don't see it. One of my KFL clones is the early version that had no afc and the fill screw does not sit recessed. That one I know I will not be using on the VS.

20140828_064104~01.jpg

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Has anyone had an issue with getting the battery cover off. I tried removing the screw and that thing is on tight. I don't wanna press the issue and strip the head of the screw. Or worse break it off. Do they use loctite??? LOL

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Juice leaked out of my Kayfun today and that cover that was damn near impossible to put on slid right off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone had an issue with getting the battery cover off. I tried removing the screw and that thing is on tight. I don't wanna press the issue and strip the head of the screw. Or worse break it off. Do they use loctite??? LOL
The screw that holds the door on has a keeper attached to the back side. When un-threading the screw and it is at its highest point , Then slide the door off. A bit tricky the first time.

WimpysRevenge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So it turns out my "shipping confirmation" was actually a sham...All they did was send the "pre shipping info to USPS".
This is frustrating to say the least.
What does that even mean...It either shipped or it didn't. I feel like they are grabbing at straws trying to keep the waiting customers at an arms length.
I'm still excited for my rdna to get here, but they need to address the demand either by meeting it or being more transparent with the customers.
end rant/

IDonn0

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So it turns out my "shipping confirmation" was actually a sham...All they did was send the "pre shipping info to USPS".
This is frustrating to say the least.
What does that even mean...It either shipped or it didn't. I feel like they are grabbing at straws trying to keep the waiting customers at an arms length.
I'm still excited for my rdna to get here, but they need to address the demand either by meeting it or being more transparent with the customers.
end rant/

Not a sham at all. It means they have requested that USPS pick up the package. They consider it shipped when they request a tracking number from USPS and the shipping label is printed and put on your package. Printing the label triggers their software to mark it shipped. Be patient and you will be rewarded with an excellent device. I absolutely LOVE mine.

db3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@WilliamC83 Here are the scratches. As I said not exactly sure where they came from. The afc screws and fill screws are below flush. Not gonna worry about it too much. I am anal about keeping my devices pristine. But this is an area that there is going to be no avoiding getting worn. It is covered all the time anyway so I don't see it. One of my KFL clones is the early version that had no afc and the fill screw does not sit recessed. That one I know I will not be using on the VS.]
I am making an assumption here, and maybe someone who has both can chime in, but I think the gunmetal holds up a little better than the black... My vaporshark dna (gunmetal - around two months old) does have some scratching around the 510, but not as much as some of the black ones I've seen. Anecdotal evidence to be sure - maybe it is the same amount, but just more noticeable on the black? In any case, it's all good, as you said there's something on top of it all the time anyway :)

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am making an assumption here, and maybe someone who has both can chime in, but I think the gunmetal holds up a little better than the black... My vaporshark dna (gunmetal - around two months old) does have some scratching around the 510, but not as much as some of the black ones I've seen. Anecdotal evidence to be sure - maybe it is the same amount, but just more noticeable on the black? In any case, it's all good, as you said there's something on top of it all the time anyway :)

It is the nature of the beast. Just like there is no way I can expect to ride my bike and not get a stone chip on the front fender. I did go to a local vape shop and pick up a shark skin yesterday. Wish they were a little less bland. Was considering getting a wrap. But I like the protection the skin gives to the bottom. After all it sits on the bottom when not in use.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For Kayfuns, and the like, Use an Oring between the atty and the top of the Rdna when you screw on the atty.. Should work to protect the top.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the charging I saw stated somewhere should be at least 750mah, but can be less of course. Think I saw this on their site for the 18650 rdna.

500mah for the dna [little bro]

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Part of me is wishing I had ordered the gunmetal. I was on the fence and could not find any good pics of it.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah it leaves a very slight, little gap but for me no big deal.

WimpysRevenge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I'm having a problem...I keep getting a short around 2-5 minutes into a vape.I'll be puffing away and all of a sudden I get that terrible burnt taste. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that stupid center post on my russian 91v2.
My build is at 1.1ohms and I'm using 28g kenthal. Wicked with some Rayon that VaporImage sent with my package. Great customer service and outstanding juice by the way. The gap between the center post and the opposite post is paper thin. I just don't know what is happening,
Help me out VU community.

On a side note, the VS rDNA is just outstanding. They through in a grey sharkskin with my order for some reason(didn't order one).
I have been running it at somewhat low wattage, anywhere from 9-12 is as high as I have gone.
I'm feeling the gunmetal VS with the grey shark skin

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was thinking of a sharkskin for mine, but went back to just covering the empty panel with a carbon fiber vinyl sticker like I had on my old one instead:

344xw11.jpg

2e50dab.jpg

Does nothing to protect the device, but just think it looks better than having an empty space :)

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Was thinking of a sharkskin for mine, but went back to just covering the empty panel with a carbon fiber vinyl sticker like I had on my old one instead:

344xw11.jpg

2e50dab.jpg

Does nothing to protect the device, but just think it looks better than having an empty space :)

That does look pretty good. I was gonna do a grey carbon fiber wrap on mine. But I like the protection offered by the skins. Just wish they weren't so bland. You figure they would at least put a logo or their name on the skin.

IDonn0

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

344xw11.jpg

2e50dab.jpg

That looks great.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Curious to see what the end product will look like, as in if the entire mod will be covered in one piece, or if the wrap comes in sections.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I'm having a problem...I keep getting a short around 2-5 minutes into a vape.I'll be puffing away and all of a sudden I get that terrible burnt taste. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that stupid center post on my russian 91v2.
My build is at 1.1ohms and I'm using 28g kenthal. Wicked with some Rayon that VaporImage sent with my package. Great customer service and outstanding juice by the way. The gap between the center post and the opposite post is paper thin. I just don't know what is happening,
Help me out VU community.

On a side note, the VS rDNA is just outstanding. They through in a grey sharkskin with my order for some reason(didn't order one).
I have been running it at somewhat low wattage, anywhere from 9-12 is as high as I have gone.
I'm feeling the gunmetal VS with the grey shark skin
Sounds like your getting a dry hit not a short. Try tightening up your air flow a bit. Or re-wick it with a little less material.

WimpysRevenge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Alright, I figured it out. My firing pin on the russian wasn't even threaded, just sitting in there kinda wedged I guess...Got it threaded and it hasn't shorted since. I could see how my post sounded like I was getting dry hits, but if you have ever been mid hit and gotten a short you never forget that taste. So shorting fixed and vaping this lazy sunday away.
Actually I'm about to go snag some vape mail at the ladies house and pic up some White Mango from Cali Vape Co, here in San Diego.
Have I said this mod is badass yet??? Truly a joy to vape on, anyone bumming on shipment issues, hang in there, this thing goes hard in the paint!!!

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@WilliamC83 Here are the scratches. As I said not exactly sure where they came from. The afc screws and fill screws are below flush. Not gonna worry about it too much. I am anal about keeping my devices pristine. But this is an area that there is going to be no avoiding getting worn. It is covered all the time anyway so I don't see it. One of my KFL clones is the early version that had no afc and the fill screw does not sit recessed. That one I know I will not be using on the VS.

View attachment 4500

I'm wondering if a thin coat of Plasi Dip would do the trick? Ive been using Plasti Dip for all kinds of things for years, its really handy stuff & pretty durable. For this application though I'm wondering if a thin coat would be enough, I mean its not like that area is seeing a lot of wear, especially if you attach your atty's carefully. With Plasti Dip you get the most even coverage by dipping, however that's not really possible with the rDNA because of the 510 & battery door seam. So you would have to carefully paint the Plasti Dip on & its not so easy to achieve a clean, even coverage like that. I guess I can just try it & see, this stuff can bee peeled off pretty easily if I mess up. What do y'all think?

(---Plasti Dip Your Mod!---)

IDonn0

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Fail IMO. It is one piece that starts and ends at the edge of the battery cover. So if you want to change your battery you have the wrap hanging on to the battery cover and potentially peeling away from the battery. Eventually it will lose it's grip. They should have made it two pieces.
I agree, I wouldn't do it either, was just pointing out that they are selling already.

vapedick

Member For 4 Years
Fail IMO. It is one piece that starts and ends at the edge of the battery cover. So if you want to change your battery you have the wrap hanging on to the battery cover and potentially peeling away from the battery. Eventually it will lose it's grip. They should have made it two pieces.
Xacto knife.Or Scissors. Done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors