Become a Patron!

New VU'er here

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I'm here to try to get some guidance/advice for upgrading to a mod and also to gain as much guidance and knowledge as possible in understanding the different mods.

I currently use an itaste v4 (ego cig) and am really starting to hate it. It's the 3rd one I've had and I keep having issues with it. I have been vaping for about 4-5 years and want to step up the game.

I have thought about getting a couple different mods but some of them have tc which I was told I shouldn't get for my first mod. But I'm thinking I want to buy one and be done (without breaking the bank) instead of buying an "entry level" mod. I would love to here from some experienced vapers and what they suggest or where I could read up on understanding more about the different features, tc, etc.

I'm looking forward to hearing from anybody and become part of the VU world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the VU! :D
The new mods on the market today go both ways, power and TC. Just a suggestion, the new Joyetech Cuboid is one nice little mod that won't break the bank.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for he welcome and the suggestion!

So you're saying you don't have to use the temp control? What would it say for this option?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Hoyt, welcome to VU.

I have a Joyetech eVic VTC Mini. Perfect size, goes to 75w and is capable of TC if you choose to use it. I don't, but it's possible with the right kind of coils. I prefer simple and easy, good flavor and life. I'm a mouth to lung vaper, I don't really sub-ohm, so I don't need lots of power like some of the mods out there have. I don't even need the amount of power this one has, but I love this device. It takes one battery and it lasts me all day long. I paid under $35 for it and have been incredibly please.

Have fun on the forum, take your time to look around and don't be afraid or intimidated to ask questions. Glad you're here!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU! I second the VTC Mini recommendation, as it's a fantastic little mod! If I was in the market for a 2 battery mod, the Cuboid would be at the top of my list right now as well.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for he welcome and the suggestion!

So you're saying you don't have to use the temp control? What would it say for this option?

The Cuboid gives you the options of Power/Kanthal, Nickel, Stainless Steel, and Titanium coils. Just put it in Power for Kanthal.
Here's a link to Joyetech, take a look at all of their products.
http://www.joyetech.com/

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Hoyt, remember if you choose one of those fine Joyetech mods suggested, you will need quality 18650 batteries and a charger. Might want to look at the battery forum or youtube for tips on battery safety. Vape safe, and welcome to VU.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man this has been more helpful than anticipated. Thanks all!

ChrisL, I have read a little bit about batteries and how they can basically explode, which doesn't sound fun. Thanks for the heads up on where to get more info. Does brand matter? I've seen on some sites that they will make package deals where you get batteries at a "discounted rate" but there are multiple brands all within the same price range.

Vapin4Joy, thanks for the info on the joyetech. I will definitely look into them. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think about these options:
Wismec Reuleaux RX200
IPV3 li
Kanger subox mini

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man this has been more helpful than anticipated. Thanks all!

ChrisL, I have read a little bit about batteries and how they can basically explode, which doesn't sound fun. Thanks for the heads up on where to get more info. Does brand matter? I've seen on some sites that they will make package deals where you get batteries at a "discounted rate" but there are multiple brands all within the same price range.

Vapin4Joy, thanks for the info on the joyetech. I will definitely look into them. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think about these options:
Wismec Reuleaux RX200
IPV3 li
Kanger subox mini

Read some of the posts on the VU about the Wismec, for me the jury is still out. The ipv 3 is solid, the Kanger is a good starter mod.
Buy good batteries, Sony, LG, Samsung. Here is a link to a very good and reliable seller of batteries, many people on the VU use him.
http://liionwholesale.com/

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Read some of the posts on the VU about the Wismec, for me the jury is still out. The ipv 3 is solid, the Kanger is a good starter mod.
Buy good batteries, Sony, LG, Samsung. Here is a link to a very good and reliable seller of batteries, many people on the VU use him.
http://liionwholesale.com/

Awesome! I will look into that Joyetech and the ipv then. Do you know if either of these are tc optional like you mentioned before?

What about tanks? I was told about the tfv4 and read about the crown? Any other likes or dislikes that I should stay away from(tank or mod)?

And what about charging? Can you charge using the devise or is that not recommended?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The Cuboid or VTC Mini and the ipv3 li are TC or Power, either one. You don't have to use TC on these, but you can.

The TFV4 and the Crown tanks are mainly for sub-ohm vapers, which it seems interests you the most. I hear the TFV4 gives great flavor, but drinks a LOT of juice. The Crown has great flavor, too. Both will work on either of those devices.

Charging batteries, your best and safest bet is to charge them on a battery charger. Some mods will tel you if you can't charge in the device, some will say it's ok to, but most people will recommend you use a charger.

BIG +1 for Liion Wholesale for batteries. GREAT vendor.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome! I will look into that Joyetech and the ipv then. Do you know if either of these are tc optional like you mentioned before?

What about tanks? I was told about the tfv4 and read about the crown? Any other likes or dislikes that I should stay away from(tank or mod)?

And what about charging? Can you charge using the devise or is that not recommended?

What Huckleberried said, personally at this time I'm Crown all the way. To help you clarify, there is no mod on the market that is only temp control specific that I have heard of.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'm wondering, can I update the firmware on the cuboid or any of the other mods for that matter on Apple os? I don't own anything else and would hate to not be able to update the mods. Oh and thanks Vapin4Joy for having me look into the cuboid. Looks like a solid device with a lot of good reviews on here.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I'm wondering, can I update the firmware on the cuboid or any of the other mods for that matter on Apple os? I don't own anything else and would hate to not be able to update the mods. Oh and thanks Vapin4Joy for having me look into the cuboid. Looks like a solid device with a lot of good reviews on here.

Yea the Cuboid can be updated with newer firmware. In fact the day it was released Joyetech released firmware update 3.10, it increases wattage from 150 to 200. Seems most of the new mods these days can be updated, I won't spend the money on a mod that I can't update. The update for the Cuboid is available for Apple computers.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea the Cuboid can be updated with newer firmware. In fact the day it was released Joyetech released firmware update 3.10, it increases wattage from 150 to 200. Seems most of the new mods these days can be updated, I won't spend the money on a mod that I can't update. The update for the Cuboid is available for Apple computers.

Thanks but do you know what type of operating system you have to have? I have a Mac computer and don't know if it is supported by Mac. Or does it matter?

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks but do you know what type of operating system you have to have? I have a Mac computer and don't know if it is supported by Mac. Or does it matter?

Mac works for the Cuboid, when you go to Joyetech's site, click on support and then Software Download. You will see it all.
When you do a firmware update, you download the installer and update to your computer, then connect your mod to your computer, it's a piece of cake.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Hoyt, the tank that will work best for you is the one that suits your vape style. If you mtl, I would suggest an Aspire Nautilus Mini (1.8 coil) or if you direct lung inhale you might try a sub ohm tank like the Crown or my fav, the V1 Herakles by Sense. Both these tanks can use kanthal coils for power mode(watts) or you can change coils and use them in TC mode with SS coils or the ones I use, Ni200. (You can use the SS coils in both power mode or TC if your mod supports it.) Takes a little while, but you will get all this. Before you know it, you will have 3+ mods and tanks and you will be helping new vapers help kick the nasty's...;).

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Edit: the premade Crown coils only have SS, Ni200 and Ti coils available.

DWDawg

Member For 4 Years
Can't go wrong with the VTC Mini, as many above have stated. As for an atty I would recommend a kanger sub-tank mini. Lots of different coils avail, 1.2 ohm prob good for you. Atlantis also good. Crown prob would be too much for you, makes huge clouds and drinks lots of juice. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mac works for the Cuboid, when you go to Joyetech's site, click on support and then Software Download. You will see it all.
When you do a firmware update, you download the installer and update to your computer, then connect your mod to your computer, it's a piece of cake.
Thanks for letting me know. Just worried I wouldn't be able to update.

Hey Hoyt, the tank that will work best for you is the one that suits your vape style. If you mtl, I would suggest an Aspire Nautilus Mini (1.8 coil) or if you direct lung inhale you might try a sub ohm tank like the Crown or my fav, the V1 Herakles by Sense. Both these tanks can use kanthal coils for power mode(watts) or you can change coils and use them in TC mode with SS coils or the ones I use, Ni200. (You can use the SS coils in both power mode or TC if your mod supports it.) Takes a little while, but you will get all this. Before you know it, you will have 3+ mods and tanks and you will be helping new vapers help kick the nasty's...;).

Thanks for the tank suggestions. I do have a question though....If you have a sub ohm tank can you use it as a mtl by using different coils and changing the settings on the mod or is a sub ohm tank specific for that style vaping? I feel like I want to get into the sub ohm but also want to be able to use it around the house without filling it with a massive cloud lol. I tend to use my vape all day long and go back and forth between mtl and dl inhale but with my setup it's difficult due to the size of the air ports. This post just got too long so that's enough for now.

Thanks again for the help.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for letting me know. Just worried I wouldn't be able to update.

Thanks for the tank suggestions. I do have a question though....If you have a sub ohm tank can you use it as a mtl by using different coils and changing the settings on the mod or is a sub ohm tank specific for that style vaping? I feel like I want to get into the sub ohm but also want to be able to use it around the house without filling it with a massive cloud lol. I tend to use my vape all day long and go back and forth between mtl and dl inhale but with my setup it's difficult due to the size of the air ports. This post just got too long so that's enough for now.

Thanks again for the help.

Yes you can use it for MTL, this is how it usually works, sub ohm coils, anything below 1.00 ohm is usually MTL, coils around .50 or lower are DL. I suggest buying yourself a selection of various coils, trial and error.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes you can use it for MTL, this is how it usually works, sub ohm coils, anything below 1.00 ohm is usually MTL, coils around .50 or lower are DL. I suggest buying yourself a selection of various coils, trial and error.

That sounds awesome! Not trying to sound lame but, I'm getting pretty excited to make an order for everything here soon! Just trying to decide on a tank. With so many opinions it's hard to make a choice. In no specific order (from reading reviews) I'm thinking herakles (not sure which model), crown and tfv4. But I'm not done reading year so we'll see...

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think what V4J meant was any coil ABOVE 1.0 is designed for mtl vaping. BTW Hoyt, Vapenw has the Herakles V1 for $15.00 right now. pretty good deal. It is a sub ohm tank, and if you don't already know, the lower the ohm (coil), the lower your nic level should be and vice versa.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think what V4J meant was any coil ABOVE 1.0 is designed for mtl vaping. BTW Hoyt, Vapenw has the Herakles V1 for $15.00 right now. pretty good deal. It is a sub ohm tank, and if you don't already know, the lower the ohm (coil), the lower your nic level should be and vice versa.

Thanks Chris. I was lookin for that V1 but couldn't find it. Is there another name for it? Or is it just called Herakles? That is a hell of s deal! I did know about the nic levels being lower but thanks for the heads up.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Herakles is the first version, but they have a second one out called the plus, and 2 more coming out in a week or two. All use different size coils that will not work with the other version. That's what are Chinese friends do to squeeze another buck out of us...

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Found it... I notice they only sell kanthal .2 & .6 ohm coils for the v1. Can you rebuild these or is there one that will work with it? Just trying to have both the sub ohm coils and maybe a few at or above 1.0

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found it... I notice they only sell kanthal .2 & .6 ohm coils for the v1. Can you rebuild these or is there one that will work with it? Just trying to have both the sub ohm coils and maybe a few at or above 1.0

Good question. I checked the Sense website, and the premade coils are .2, .6 in kanthal, and the ones I use, the .15 Ni200 coils in TC. You can get Clapton coils from Atom vapes and Playboy, but not sure of the ohms and they cost a bit more. I don't know about an rda deck, but check Fasttech for 100's of great rda's, rebuildables, etc.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man I was thinking herakles but there are way more pre made coil choices for the tfv4. And they sell rba's that fit. And that top fill sounds appealing. I hate having to make these kinds of decisions lol.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also what is the mAh in batteries mean? If I was to get the cuboid and say the tfv4 what batteries would you suggest? I was thinking the LG HB2 but not sure if this is the best decision and don't want any big problems.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also what is the mAh in batteries mean? If I was to get the cuboid and say the tfv4 what batteries would you suggest? I was thinking the LG HB2 but not sure if this is the best decision and don't want any big problems.

milliamp hours. The higher the number, the better. (the longer it runs) I choose LG's he4/2, Samsung 25R's. Check the battery forum or youtube for battery safety and performance. Stay away from any battery with "fire" in the name.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't use Smok products anymore, but the TFV4 was a great tank, I just needed to consolidate tanks since I had so many coils to buy for different tanks. The Herakles has the best flavor/vapor production (imho) than any other tank in it's class. You will be happy with either one. The Cuboid looks nice! I have the VTC mini and it rocks. Think Ill get the Wismec 75w Pressa next. Let us know what you end up with.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I found out my cousin is big into vaping and was asking him some questions and he is giving me some of his old stuff, which is awesome!! What do you think about the Sigelei 100w plus with a Arctic tank? I mean I am excited either way. I don't think it has tc but looks like a good starter.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I found out my cousin is big into vaping and was asking him some questions and he is giving me some of his old stuff, which is awesome!! What do you think about the Sigelei 100w plus with a Arctic tank? I mean I am excited either way. I don't think it has tc but looks like a good starter.

Check out youtube for reviews and how to videos for that mod and tank. That's a good set up for sure. The Sig 100+ is not a TC device.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Chris I appreciate it and will check out those videos.

hoyt_03

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
2443d5cabfaeb47406dfb21cd3790a47.jpg

So here it is. Right now I'm running a 50/50 blend but am making an order tomorrow and wondering if anybody has a suggestion on what ratio would be best. I was thinking 60/40 or 70/30. This tank seems to be burning through the juice rather fast! Has pretty good flavor although it took about a tank to get to it.

VU Sponsors