Become a Patron!

New XTAR VC4

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered from Fasttech and as soon as I opened the e-packet I could smell that smell. You know the burned electrical equipment smell. As soon as I opened the XTAR VC4 box the smell got stronger. As soon as I took the charger out of the nylon pouch it comes in, the smell got stronger still.
So anyway I plugged it in to my 2A wall adapter and put 4 half dead batteries in and they charged to 4.2 volts and all seemed normal. The smell seems to either gone away or my nose is accustomed to the smell. Nothing got hot (the wall adaptor got warm but not hot). I can still smell it but nothing as strong as when I first pulled it out of the box.
Opinions on keeping and trusting this charger, or is there something VERY wrong with a new charger smelling this way just out of the box?
My NITECORE i2 did not have this smell when I got that years ago.
Thanks gang...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have found that most electronic equipment has that nasty burnt smell fresh out of the box. I put out new display UHD 4k TV's at work last night, and as soon as I opened the boxes, they all had that same nasty smell. I'd say you probably have nothing to worry about.

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, yeah it's charging a second set of batteries right now and no issues so...going to keep my eye on it. Thanks.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That is the out gassing of the plastics, and electronic components.
If it had wheels you could call it the new car smell.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to know it's normal, I just bought an XTAR SP2 Dual-Slot from FT....LOL

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess I've been lucky..Had this V4 charger for about 3 mos now.. Installed batts in backwards a few times but reverse batt protection saved the day..and since getting two mods that uses three batts its getting used ALOT lately.. Best charger I've owned yet
d2786fa64c6aac59b9549a309639576e.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is the out gassing of the plastics, and electronic components.
If it had wheels you could call it the new car smell.
Thanks! Got to not like that new charger smell. The charger has been working flawlessly no heat build-up no bad smell. The one thing I wish they would include is a 5V USB wall adapter because no matter which one I use it heats up "warm to the touch". I have tried multiple adapters from LG to Samsung to generic and they all get to about the same temperature. Guess this is normal.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks! Got to not like that new charger smell. The charger has been working flawlessly no heat build-up no bad smell. The one thing I wish they would include is a 5V USB wall adapter because no matter which one I use it heats up "warm to the touch". I have tried multiple adapters from LG to Samsung to generic and they all get to about the same temperature. Guess this is normal.
The USB adapters you're using are probably designed for a 1A output. However, the XTAR VC4 has an optional wall adapter (http://www.xtardirect.com/collectio...-2-1a-wall-adaptor-for-vc4?variant=1073716569).

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Guess I've been lucky..Had this V4 charger for about 3 mos now.. Installed batts in backwards a few times but reverse batt protection saved the day..and since getting two mods that uses three batts its getting used ALOT lately.. Best charger I've owned yet

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have had my LUC V4 for almost two years and it has worked flawless for me. I am needing another charger since I am charging more than 4 batts at a time now so I will be ordering another LUC V4.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got a LUC S2, it came with a 12V wall adapter, you sure 5V is enough power.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I just got a LUC S2, it came with a 12V wall adapter, you sure 5V is enough power.
The optional wall adapter sold for the VC4 is 5V. According to the description:
"...The 5V 2.1A Wall Adaptor plug was made for our VC2 and VC4 chargers but it is a universal USB output which is universal and can power all USB devices that needs 2.1A output...."

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got a Zeksit 2.4A 5V plug that never gets so much as warm--although I don't stress it much and tend to charge batteries at 500 mA. It's successfully charged 2 batteries at 1 A, however, with no noticeable slowdown in expected charging time.

It was from Amazon, let me see if I can find this again... Nope, it won't link, but you can search for "Zeksit 2.4A 5V USB" in Amazon and choose the two output plug version. Use the left USB plug for the VC4 and you can plug something small into the right one if you want. I never do.

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found it, also found the xtar adaptor on ebay 6 bucks. Thanks

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i broke down and got the efest 6 bay :D then again i had a 2 bay prior

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I got a VaporShark DNA40 about a year ago. It's the one with the hardwired Samsung 25R in it and the on-board quick charger does its thing in a bit over an hour. The VS didn't come with a USB wall adapter.

I knew that to charge a 2500 mAh batt that fast the charger could be pulling over 2A from the adapter for a while so I ordered this a 2.4A, 24 watt adapter. It didn't get to me before the mod did but I couldn't wait :rolleyes:, so I charged it the first time with one of my 1A adapters. I watched it and it got so hot I stopped charging for a while until it cooled down. I didn't do that again.

The 2.4A adapter gets 'warm to the touch', which doesn't worry me. After a while I wondered just how many amps the charger was drawing so I got one of these. It tells you the output voltage of the adapter, amps being drawn and the total mA that went into the battery. The max amp draw for that charger was around 1.9 if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I've used it. At that price, it's a neat device to have around.

I ordered from Fasttech and as soon as I opened the e-packet I could smell that smell. You know the burned electrical equipment smell. As soon as I opened the XTAR VC4 box the smell got stronger. As soon as I took the charger out of the nylon pouch it comes in, the smell got stronger still.
Hi, I bought a charger xtar VC4 and I also have a problem with the smell. Is your charger, after one year, still awfully smell?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got the same charger with the same smell.
It's still there but a lot weaker now.

VU Sponsors