Become a Patron!

Newb need some help with mods

DARKSIGNAL

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi I just made the switch recently and I like most started with kind of a beat set up. I got the amigo mini sub kit and after having a whole pack of 5 bad coils I gave up on the atty and got a kanger top tank nano which I do like. The problem is I vape pretty hard throughout the day and the 1500mah pen style battery that came with the amigo kit isn't up to the task. I want to get into a box mod but still want something small and portable that I can wear in my pocket at work without a noticeable amount of gear. I am looking at the Joye cuboid mini 80w and the eleaf istick pico. Would both of these be compatible with my kanger top tank nano atty? Would I want to keep using the .5ohm SSOCC coils or switch to something else? What settings do I use on either of those? Thanks for any pointers its kind of information overload at first. I'm open to other mods but those are the two I seem to be drawn to at the moment.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can use any box mod with that atty (it's a 510 connection, which is standard). The Pico is tiny and should fit in a pocket well. I don't have either, but they're both popular! And you can use them both in wattage mode with the same 0.5 coils you're using.

And welcome to the VU!

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello and welcome. Both those devices you mentioned will work with that tank and coil combo. You will need quality 18650 batteries and maybe a separate charger. I personally like and recommend the Joyetech Evic VTC Mini, and it is available at most online retailers in a kit with a tank, or by itself for under $45.00. Good luck, and let us know what you get.

DARKSIGNAL

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So just to clarify, with these TC mods am I using the TC mode with the SSOCC .5ohm coil or just a variable watt mode? What's the right amount of wattage to use with this coil? Would I get bigger clouds with this same atty using different coils in another mode?

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I don't get kanger's naming scheme...SSOCC, the SS is the outer casing not what the coil is made from from what Ive seen
If the wire is made from;
Kanthal = wattage mode
SS = wattage or TC
Titanium = TC ONLY
Nickel = TC ONLY

Froggie1rw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU!!

I use the joyetech evic vtc mini when I want something small and light weight. It can use the tank that you have very easily. I vape on mine pretty hard at about 25 watts with an LG HG2 3000mAh 20A battery in it. It will last me all day usually. I also have an RX200 that I run with 3 of the LG HG2 batteries but at about 50 watts and it will last me about a day and a half and yes, I carry it around most of the time. I prefer the rx200 because I have my griffin RTA tank on top of it and it runs at higher watts because of the coil build I have in it, duel SS coil at .18 ohms. On the evic mini I have a cubis tank with a .5 ohm SS. I hope all of our answers help you out :) :luck:

DARKSIGNAL

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok I checked out the kanger page and I get it now. Basically if I get a TC mod I would want to use the nickel coil if I wanted to run in TC mode. Since I will probably just run in wattage mode I would go with the SSOCC or clapton coil in .5ohm.

Anyone tried the SSOCC coil vs the clapton? The kanger site claims the clapton style coil produces more vapor...why would I use the one I have now if that one has better vapor production?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok I checked out the kanger page and I get it now. Basically if I get a TC mod I would want to use the nickel coil if I wanted to run in TC mode. Since I will probably just run in wattage mode I would go with the SSOCC or clapton coil in .5ohm.

Anyone tried the SSOCC coil vs the clapton? The kanger site claims the clapton style coil produces more vapor...why would I use the one I have now if that one has better vapor production?
I prefer the claptons, which I use in my Nebox. Those I run around 40 watts with high VG juice.

DARKSIGNAL

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the help I just ordered the cuboid mini. The internal battery with micro usb appealed to me. Looking forward to being able to adjust my wattage and try a different coil for a little bigger hits.

Edit* ok after watching a few videos I guess I have one more question. Do I need to set the ohm and the amps on this thing or just adjust the wattage and it basically gives a reading of the ohms and amps its reading from the coil?

Last edited:

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Start your wattage lower, like 30w, and work your way up until you find the tank/coil's sweet spot. Your device will display the ohm of the coil, the voltage/wattage and battery life. The temp in TC mode obviously...

VU Sponsors