Become a Patron!

Newbie can'r figure out squonk pin for dropbox 160

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hiya
Newbie squonker here.
Been doing ok but I branched out for a better RDA. I opted for velocity mini clone ( the common one in the little box). I like the look of it. Lots of space to build my double coils but when I fit the squonk pin, the positive post is loose and the base of the pin is not touching the 160's connector ?
I added a small piece of rubber before placing the post and it tightens but the post is higher and also the pin still not touching the 160 connector. Do I have a duff pin ?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hiya
Newbie squonker here.
Been doing ok but I branched out for a better RDA. I opted for velocity mini clone ( the common one in the little box). I like the look of it. Lots of space to build my double coils but when I fit the squonk pin, the positive post is loose and the base of the pin is not touching the 160's connector ?
I added a small piece of rubber before placing the post and it tightens but the post is higher and also the pin still not touching the 160 connector. Do I have a duff pin ?
You have a picture?

I became lost when you said you added a piece of rubber, which I assume raised the positive post.

Why did you add a piece of rubber? There should be an insulator between the post and the base of the atty, no other material should be needed.

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You have a picture?

I became lost when you said you added a piece of rubber, which I assume raised the positive post.

Why did you add a piece of rubber? There should be an insulator between the post and the base of the atty, no other material should be needed.

I read in a similar forum that some guy cut a piece of o ring and put it between the insulator and the post. Then tightened the pin. This stopped the post from being loose ?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If your just changing the pin, if you have the correct length, nothing else should be added, especially rubber, which could melt.

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have it working this time by adding the same piece of rubber just below the slotted head of the pin. This makes the positive post not loose and makes the pin bottom contact the 160's connector.
Out of interest, here's the 2 pins (photo won't upload) ??
Is my quonk pin too long ?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm really not sure if the pin is too long, if it's sticking up above the base of the atty the pin is to long. I'd get that rubber out of the atty and find the correct pin for it. You don't want the rubber melting....!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I remember when that clone first came out and I got one: the squonk pin does not secure the post very well.

@inspects is right about removing the rubber - anything that could melt needs to come out of it

There is also the chance that the pin itself is not long enough to make contact inside the 510 threads of the Kanger 160

Unfortunately, the Velocity 2 clone is not the best of the clones out there. I would check mine but it's packed away somewhere in the box of unloved vape gear :(

ResIpsa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I noticed this problem with my Tobeco velocity mini clone and the Kanger Dripbox. I did not find a good solution.

Now that the Dripbox crapped itself I solved the problem by hopefully buying better stuff.

Chris

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I just tied a few atties on the 160. It likes the Goon and the Hadaly just fine. It hates the Odin, Charm and Origen Little. Haven't tried others yet.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That one is the 22 mm and I converted it myself, but there are much cheaper clones, and some come with squonk pins for around $10 if you don't mind waiting for China.

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That one is the 22 mm and I converted it myself, but there are much cheaper clones, and some come with squonk pins for around $10 if you don't mind waiting for China.

How do I contact a supplier. I'm in the UK ?

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I noticed this problem with my Tobeco velocity mini clone and the Kanger Dripbox. I did not find a good solution.

Now that the Dripbox crapped itself I solved the problem by hopefully buying better stuff.

Chris
I have a fix ?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would suggest you try buying a Goon clone that already is squonk ready. Hang on a few minutes here i'll get a few links to some for you.

Here you go:

i like checking in 3FVape because they're usually fairly good priced and so far good service. The link i put there will take you to a search "bottom feed goon", that'll get you pointed in the right direction. Use the pins that 3Fvape supplies here for the Goons and Kennedy Trickster 24mm atties.

You can also look up Fat Daddy Vapes. They supply three packs of pins in 2.5m and 3m diameter for squonking. Someone at one time kept a list of which rda took which one. not sure how to regex a grep search on the InterWebs for that, it was in a forum somewhere i think, I flit betwixt a few different vaping forums at times.

agree with Dale / @inspects, you don't need to go putting stuff in the atty like that to get a pin taut. that'll cause more issue long run, just go look for a pin to fit better. Fat Daddy's has them, FastTech, 3Fvape so some of the major online vendors are in fact opening up to the squonking market.

There is also a forum on Fast Tech for squonking you might want to check that out. It can give you a better idea over all what you're looking to get, even if you buy it elsewhere like 3FVape for example. ;) :)

Not trying to shotgun you with links as an answer or fix, yet i think there's a lot of valued info in the links. all we can do for you is offer suggestions & advice based on our experiences as customers as well. i am liking using the goon rda & the Narda, beyond that I too have some Velocity clones not getting love. :( ah well, had to start building on something.

ETA: Excuse me just a moment, "wow, i just realized i have been accessing the internet and web for a little over 25 years, i've learned a vast bit regarding a plethora of subject matters. i used to know where to go to look for british rail schedules and once had some bloke convinced i was in the streets of britan with him as he traveled to be so knowledgeable of where to go, when, how to get there. i was in Virginia, USA the whole time but did in fact guide him to where he needed being. i've spoken to chinese fisherman about what they call blue trout there and we call brown trout here, the intricacies of how to angle fish and catch them and their different habitats. had a russian guy explain a few different chess stragies to me one night in a chat, also explaining that russians more like ballet now and some are better. whew, crazy ride :) i keep growing up all the time, so i never do, grow up that is. :) ;) "

Last edited:

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe - though I managed to get the velociyy mini to work by adding a small washer just under the head of the pin. When tightened up, the positive post is totally rigid and because of the thin washer, the head sticks down enough to make contact.
For the goon, is there a 22mm in the uk ?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here's U.K. Vapors \it's a forum for vapers in the U.K.. :) You also might want to check out U.K. Ecig Store. They have a Kennedy 24mm for about 70 quid. Know that's not a 22mm Goon. *sighs* Let me have a few days, I'll get turned around again. *chuckles* I'll find one near for you if i kin. *lol* Been quite some while, i'l need to shout a mate or so.

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's U.K. Vapors \it's a forum for vapers in the U.K.. :) You also might want to check out U.K. Ecig Store. They have a Kennedy 24mm for about 70 quid. Know that's not a 22mm Goon. *sighs* Let me have a few days, I'll get turned around again. *chuckles* I'll find one near for you if i kin. *lol* Been quite some while, i'l need to shout a mate or so.

That's very kind of you to research this for me. As a vape newbie (serious smoker who had open heart surgery a year ago)...

I'm progessing quite well.

I'm gonna need more than 1 rda anyway as I'll want to swap out different flavours.

Now I have to velicity mini working, I must say how much better it is than the one that came with the 160...

The main thing I'm finding is how it doesn't get as hot as the original and flavour is much better then you've been vaping for an hour or so, but I will join the uk forum. Thanks again

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's very kind of you to research this for me. As a vape newbie (serious smoker who had open heart surgery a year ago)...

I'm progessing quite well.

I'm gonna need more than 1 rda anyway as I'll want to swap out different flavours.

Now I have to velicity mini working, I must say how much better it is than the one that came with the 160...

The main thing I'm finding is how it doesn't get as hot as the original and flavour is much better then you've been vaping for an hour or so, but I will join the uk forum. Thanks again

I found a 24mm Goon here for about 17 quid. That one is a clone, ergo the lower cost. Found a 22mm and it is an authentic, here. 50 - 55 quid depending on vat.

I'm using a 24mm Goon. Did a rebuild on it today as i was trying to do a dry burn of the coils. *chuckles* Pulling out the wick fouled up one of the coils, figured may as well rebuild. I'm using 28awg Kanthal with an inner diameter of 3.5mm, 6 wraps on each coil makes my dual set up run around .70 /.80 (R) oHms. I know that from checking the last one I built like that. It does very well as far as a balance between flavor & clouds. That is my main niche, moderation, good balance. Not trying to steer you toward a 24mm if you want the 22mm, merely suggesting that you can find balance in any size really.

A lot of it has to do with building, experience. You'll get there too. :) it takes a little but we all learn it's not as difficult as we think to start. And no, i'm not any fancy pants master builder. *lol* I'm just a simple guy doing the simple stuff and seeing how it works, or not.

Icurrie44

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks. Again good feedback. The build I did for the Velocity is 26 clapton with 6 winds (2 coils).
How often should you change the coils ?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have only the authentic Tobeco Velocity mini's :)
Pins in them work fine in all my Kanger squonkers and no loose posts.

VU Sponsors