Become a Patron!

Newbie needs help with evic vtc mini

Hello everyone! My name is Rob, and I am new here (obviously) and very new to vaping. I smoked cigarettes for like 20 years, and have smoked cigars for the last few years. I tried my wifes nautilus vape device and really like it. My wife wont let me smoke cigars while I edit photos, so I am switching to vaping :)

So I got myself an evic vtc mini with Tron (whatever that means lol). I have a few questions and am really hoping someone here can help me.

First, I noticed that it uses the same usb connection as my cell phone (Galaxy Note 4), can I charge the evic with my cell phone wall charger?

The manual, well, the manual was awful. Gave barely any info. My unit was put together at the shop, but I still have two extra coils in the box - one with a red band and one with blue. I recall the guy in the store saying he put the "normal" coil in for me. How do I change the ohms on the normal coil? I enter the menu, and I can actually enter "bypass" mode, but all the other modes immediately switch back to "power" mode. I expected that from the nickel and titanium ones, but I was under the impression that I would be able to use temperature control mode using the stainless steel mode and the normal coil?

I have other questions, but this is a good start.

Take care,
Rob

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If by "normal" you mean kanthal, that is what you'll use in Power mode. Stainless steel, too. Nickel and Titanium are for Temperature Control. I have a tank that has stainless steel coils and I've been told that can also be used with Temp Control. The only way to change the ohms of your coil, is to swap it out for a different coil with the ohms you'd prefer.

LOL I have no idea what I mean by "normal." It's what the guy at the store said. He said the evic came with three coils, and he didn't put in the nickel or the titanium one, so whatever the third one is that it comes with is what he put in.

So, can I do SS Temp Control mode with the normal coil? If so, how do I get it to STAY in SS tc mode? Right now, when I enter the menu, switch to that mode, the instant I hit the fire button to select that mode, it goes back to power mode.

Take care,
Rob

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If it's a kanthal coil, no. You won't be able to use TC with kanthal on this mod. I have a Crown tank, it runs a SS coil. I could use that in TC mode and I can use it in Power mode. But kanthal, just Power. Nickel and Titanium, you want in TC Mode. Now as far as using TC... you'll have to wait for one of our resident experts. That's definitely not me, and if I've misinformed you on any of this, I'm sure they'll correct me, I hope so! Gonna tag a couple of people that I know that are into TC.

@AmandaD and @5150sick Rob needs some help, please :)

K, that's actually good to know - I was a little worried that my evic was not working right.

So, can I use my cell phone wall charger to charge the evic?

Take care,
Rob

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The red is normal kanthal for Variable wattage
the blue one id Ni200 nickel for Temperature control.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
K, that's actually good to know - I was a little worried that my evic was not working right.

So, can I use my cell phone wall charger to charge the evic?

Take care,
Rob

Yes, i use mine all the time.
if you have a long enough cord you can even vape it while it's charging.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
DO NOT use the blue coil on variable wattage mode.
It is unsafe and can damage your mod and/or your lungs
The blue ring one is for temp control ONLY
I can teach you how to use TC if you want to give it a try in the future...

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might try youtube. There are a bunch of reviews of this device that go through all the features and how to use them. Enter evic vtc mini in search bar and watch a couple. Id try Vapor Chronicles or Vapor Trail channel.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And @Supahrob, all'a what Huck says is true... but the really important part is at the bottom.
See how she called in the big guns?

That's how you know you've signed onto a forum with the best moderator on the planet.
She not only helps by answering 95% of your questions, but calls her knowledgeable friends in to help with the other 5%.
She does this ALL the time when people need a lil help. She will find you the help.

This is above & beyond the call of moderator duty on any forum. Say thank you @Huckleberried!
Thank you.

Wow, thank you all VERY much! I sincerely appreciate the help!

I have been watching YouTube videos all day in between editing wedding pictures today. I learned a lot, but still have some questions - most of my big questions were answered in the first few videos :)

I am pleased to hear about being able to use my Note 4 charger with my evic, that is very cool.

I am just confused about what coil the store guy put in my evic lol! I still have the red and blue ones in the box, I thought this came with three, but thats apparently incorrect. Oh well, I am enjoying it :)

Again, thank you all :)

Take care,
Rob

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The new tron version comes with the new firmware that can run stainless coils in temp mode. Stainless in temp mode rocks!
Heres a link to their site
http://www.joyetech.com/product/evic-vtc-mini-with-tron/?age-verified=8923ad5609
Per the site, yours came with the ni, ti as said and the 3rd one that you're using is the 1.0 kanthal coil that is probably the best one to start with.
Here's info about the coil
http://www.joyetech.com/product/ego-one-cl-head/

As said, leave it in power mode and enjoy it for now. When that coil is ready to be replaced, try the ni or ti coil (change to ni or ti setting) and see if you like a more free flowing, more cloud coil.

I recently got the 1st version of that mod for my wife and it's a great kit. Congrats!

Another question: wattage and the 1.0 kanthal coil? What would the limit be? I mean, what wattage should I stay under, and what range might you all suggest I play around with to find what I like? I really enjoyed full bodied thick smoke cigars, so....

The guy at the store seemed to imply that I should inhale hard and fast (which is actually very natural and satisfying for me) but all the videos I have seen seem to suggest ways that seem different than that. What do you all think?

Take care,
Rob

Oh, and the guy at the store (who was really nice and helpful) set mine to like 13 watts and suggested keeping it there, but my reading seems to indicate that to be pretty low.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just play around with the watts, work up from your 13w and once it gets too hot or harsh, you're too high. Back off a bit till it's right where you want it.

There's a range that most companies give for their coils but it is usually a big range as everyone's preference is different. Some people like a mellow, cool vape. Some people like a hot vape with more throat hit.

Can't break it, just mess around with it.

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The eVic VCT Mini with Tron comes with 3 coils, the one with black o-ring is the cl 1.0 Kanthal coil. You can use that one in power mode at around 20 watts give or take (5 watts) and is not really intended for straight lung hits although you can sort of. The coil with the blue o-ring is the NI200 0.2 ohm coil that you use in Ni mode. In my experience with these coils I liked that one best at 35 watts and 470 degrees. The coil with the red o-ring is the Titanium wire coil and I never did get satisfactory results from that one so I will defer to someone else who likes Ti coils. My suggestion would be to get the CL 0.5 Kanthal coils if you like a draw with bigger airflow, You can bump the watts up to 30-35 with that one and get better flavor and clouds with that one over the 1.0 ohm. I hope Joyetech is coming out with a stainless steel coil for that tank which would be ideal for Temp Control.
Good luck in your Vaping Journey.

vwfan79

Member For 4 Years
I have the vtc mini and use a few different tanks on it, mostly an Atlantis v2 with ss coil. When you try to fire a coil of 1.0+ ohms it will automatically switch to power mode as a protection feature. When I switch my Atlantis to my eleaf tank with a 1.2 coil it switches to power mode, I thought it was a nice feature.

VU Sponsors