Become a Patron!

Newbie question

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello, On an eleaf istick pico 75w, what's a good indicator the coil needs changing? I'm sure I've changed a couple coils that didn't need it here and there. The one in the istick will have a burnt taste sometimes but if I just wait it goes away. Makes sense to me, I burn all the juice, then burn some cotton then wait for more juice to soak up and good to go. But for how long? The manual doesn't seem to go into that.

Thanks, Greg

Calikid1975

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
pretty much when the taste has degraded and or its not hitting as good anymore... I've had a few times on one of my RDA's that I thought it was toast dropped a different one on it for a bit and it cleared back up.. It's pretty much the wick that will die before the coils so when the taste is off and stays off that is the biggest clue...
Just my $.02 but I'm still a semi newbie to vaping :D

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello, On an eleaf istick pico 75w, what's a good indicator the coil needs changing? I'm sure I've changed a couple coils that didn't need it here and there. The one in the istick will have a burnt taste sometimes but if I just wait it goes away. Makes sense to me, I burn all the juice, then burn some cotton then wait for more juice to soak up and good to go. But for how long? The manual doesn't seem to go into that.

Thanks, Greg
If you taste burnt cotton it's an indicator it's time replace the premade coil....it's shot.

When using a rebuildable coil you simply change the wick....which is much less expensive.

dogtron66

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you taste burnt cotton it's an indicator it's time replace the premade coil....it's shot.

When using a rebuildable coil you simply change the wick....which is much less expensive.

This is the main reason I got into building almost right off the bat.

A lot of sub ohm tanks offer a RBA as well as throw away coils. It cost a little upfront to get a few tools, wire, and wicking material, but in the long run, its way cheaper than buying drop ins.

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is the main reason I got into building almost right off the bat.

A lot of sub ohm tanks offer a RBA as well as throw away coils. It cost a little upfront to get a few tools, wire, and wicking material, but in the long run, its way cheaper than buying drop ins.
My first step in that direction was tonight, a kanger drip box. We'll see how it goes.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My first step in that direction was tonight, a kanger drip box. We'll see how it goes.
Believe you will like squonkers, not sure about the dripbox though.

Good luck...!

dogtron66

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

My stepson got a Kanger Dripbox 60 watt several weeks ago, and it was a great little rig until he left it on top of his car and drove off... but then again, he does stuff like that all the time.

Remarkably, the RDA survived, and he still uses it like a regular dripper on other mods now.

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Believe you will like squonkers, not sure about the dripbox though.

Good luck...!
Yes, I like the idea of carrying more juice and the only two I keep seeing are the kanger and the reo. I really like the reo too but it doesn't come with an atomizer and by the time it's all set up it would be close to $200. The kanger is$25 if, the company makes good on their $10 off.

Scribb|e

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you burn the cotton wick by firing the mod without any juice on the head, then it's toast - it'll never vape properly again, because of the burnt cotton taste, unless you can rebuild it.

If you manage to never vape your cotton wick bone dry (and you shouldn't ever really, you can taste that the wick is getting dry a good few firings before it's *bone* dry and you damage it) you can tell when the head needs changing either by the muted taste (but that *could* be vaper's tongue) or by looking at the wick and it's all crusty, gunky and black-coloured.

That's why I've never used tanks with factory heads now for years - they cost a lot, you always run out of them at inopportune moments (if you're me), and the Quality Control on a lot of them is atrocious.

I used to buy cheap, cloned Protank heads so I could rebuild them myself with nice coils and Japanese cotton and done right - I saved a lot of money that way. :)

That's what I always disliked about the Nautilus - lovely tank, especially the Mini, but the coils don't last very long (especially with certain juices), they're expensive, the clones of them are generally rubbish, and they're such a bugger to rebuild that I gave up.

These days, I just stick to my trusty Taifun GT2v2, my Bellus and the Flash-e-Vape v3 and Kayfun v3+ that I've got arriving soon...

VU Sponsors