Become a Patron!

Newbie RDA build help!!

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So heres what i have at hand... I have an eleaf istick 50w device. And a royal hunter rda. The kanthal i have is 28g 0.4 ohm 4 wraps.. And i have a bunch of japanese organic cotton from fattvapes. I watched a few you tube videos and put it all together. I used 100 percent true vg ejuice 6mg. I fired it up at 20watts and it seemed ok. It then caught on fire and it freaked me out!! Haha i need your professional help vapers!!!! Thanks for any help in advance

Sent from my LG-D722 using Tapatalk

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What caught fire? The cotton?
Show us a pic of the build and maybe we can be of more help.
Did you pulse fire the coils and glowing evenly from the inside out? Everything tight and even?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It could have been the cotton im not sure ive never done it before. I threw it away and ive just started again right now. I forgot to mention the wire is 0.5mm if that makes a difference? The glow was even aswell. What wattage should this be able to fire up to??

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good. You don't wanna use that.
28g is 0.32mm, so if you have 0.5mm it is 24g and need 9 wraps on a 3mm driver to hit 0.4 ohms if running a dual coil.

Edit: Even 50w on a 0.4 is fine, it'll just be warmer, that's if your wick can keep up and not dry out. You should be able to taste the juice not cotton, and there is a big difference lol.

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like i said im new to this. Well mine says 0.4ohm 0.5 4 loop. And ill upload a pic now. You can tell me if I'm doing it right haha

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Phone playing up. Have u got facebook?

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's okay, good start.
You want the coil all to be spaced evenly and not touching. Or all touching evenly at all parts compressed together.

You need to heat up the coil now before wicking and get it glowing nicely. Get the coil hot and when not pushing the button on your mod squeeze the coil with pliers.

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That looks good now. Did it heat evenly before you put the wick in?

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think thats enough cotton

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah it heated evenly. But now reading at 1.0 ohm?? Confused.

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So i need more cotton than that? Oh yeah that worked! Back to 0.4ohm

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No cotton looks fine. But wait a sec before firing. I wanna explain something...

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok please explain. Ive not put my juice on it yet. And thanks your cery helpful !

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the wraps you have and resistance its reading you most definitely have 24g wire not 28. This affects the characteristics of the coil you have and how hot it will be at specific wattages. If you have a wire with a higher gauge but make a coil with the same resistance as the one you have it will behave differently at the same power.

The point is that this coil is going to be scorching hot at 50W

I'd start at around 15 and work your way up to your sweet spot while always keeping the wick moist.

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok thanks. Plenty of juice then???

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do my coil wraps need to be spread apart or tight together??

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saturated yes, not flowing out to the other side of your centre post.

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do my coil wraps need to be spread apart or tight together??

They can be either. Just a different type of build.

If they are touching at all then they should be touching evenly throughout with no hot spots when fired up. You have to work them out when making contact coils/micro coils.

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The last pic you had looked fine from what I can see. Wick is good, and the wraps aren't touching now.
Juice it up and fire it without the top cap on and make sure that vapour is being produced. Then test it out.

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vaping at 30w now and its vaping well thanks so much for your help!! How does this app work can i send you any kind of feedback at all??

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to hear you're up and running! Not too sure, but it's all good. Just my good deed for the day I suppose.

Vape on!

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well thankyou so much. Youve made a fellow vaper happy!

jpitman2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So i went dual coil on this. Identical coils and wicked with jap org cotton. Its reading at 0.2ohms and i dont really want to take it past 30watts. Its lasted well all day, vape was ok until i got home and it was almost like the cotton had become rock solid.. Is that normal? Im not getting as much vapor as my atlantis v2 tank. Have you got any suggestions on a coild build for the most vapor production without burning out the coils? Im still not 100% with all of this rda stuff. Im thinking of going back to the atomizer tanks but i feel like that would be taking a step backwards?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! Ps my rda is the royal hunter (not a clone)

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off don't feel pressured into "upgrading" to rda's or thinking that going back to tanks is a bad thing. Not everything is going to be enjoyable to everyone and this applies to vaping too. I regularly still use a tank as well as my rda's depending on the type of Vape I want to enjoy at that time.

If you're looking for huge clouds and that's all care about then you need to learn to wrap contact coils. Where each wrap is touching the wire next to it. This gives you more surface area contacting the wick and juice so more vapour is produced when heated.

For your next ones try to wrap more times on the screwdriver and get them as tight together as possible. Because you have 24g use anywhere from 6 to 9 wraps on a 3mm screwdriver and in dual coil. Less wraps will give you more heat on the coil at your max of 50W. If you haven't already seen it check out www.steam-engine.org for a coil calculator as well as a bunch of other helpful tools.

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also no your cotton shouldn't be hard... I don't quite understand?

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wrap the wire as close to the last strand as you can on your screwdriver. Once you get the coil in the posts and tightened down, make sure none of the wires are touching anything metal other than through the posts. Grab your pliers in one hand and press the fire button in the other. When the coils get red hot, RELEASE the button and squeeze gently with your pliers. Repeat on the other side and again as many times as needed until content with the tightness of your coils. MAKE SURE TO NOT TOUCH THE COILS WHILE HEATING as this will cause a short.

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When wicking, I use Japanese Cotton pads. If that's what you have, cut off about a 1/4in strip long ways and cut in half. Put half in each side and wahlah. (sometimes that's too short and the cotton doesn't touch the bottom of the juice well, use your own judgement here). I used to stuff the juice wells with cotton and have since learned that less is more so to speak. Again, this is also a learning curve that you'll have to learn what you like and don't like, these are just suggestions.

VU Sponsors