Become a Patron!

Newbie Squonk Questions

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm about to dip my toe into the squonking waters, finally. Waiting for vape mail.

Today I noticed bottles that come with a straw. Is the term straw interchangeable with hose/tubing or are they two different products? If the latter, is one better than the other?

I'm interested in the Lukkos Silk bottle. I think that they run around $15-$20USD across the pond. Saw them for $24.99 on the website of a nearby b&m vape shop. Is that a decent domestic price? Any pros and cons I should consider?

Being totally green with squonking, if anyone wants to toss Dos & Don'ts at me, that would be great.

Thanks!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@JuicyLucy

Lucy kindly help guide me when I first started looking into squonking ...take her advice on it won't regret it :)

But yeah the hose/tube/straw one in the same thing I call it tubing

When you say accross the pond are you UK or USA side? Modmaker (in the uk) does some really good squonk bottles picked some up myself love them

Pick a device (regulated or mechanical)

If you are really green to vaping stick to regulated to start with, then decide how many batteries you want in the mod

Pick an atty what are you in to flavour, clouds bra? Both?

Loads of squonkable attys now it's really taken off even since I first started looking into squonking

Hadaly is legendary around these parts flavour monster
Narda is legendary also although you'll only be able to get clones now

Pindad/Gaia great RDTA hybrid squonkers

RDA squonkable there are loads ...liking the Druga, Goon has a large following, Skill RDA, Peerless is great entry squonkable atty

Squonking wise what I've found is you kind of need to squeeze and hold the bottle for a little bit otherwise it sucks the juice straight back down ...don't over squonk though, done that a few times now lol you'll get a feel for it quickly

Also you might find you want less wicking that you would run in a striaight up dripper at least I found this, otherwise it doesn't soak up quickly enough when squeezing the bottle and can get a leak moment

Erm other than unless you have questions I can't think of anything else

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi KingPin. Sorry, I should have provided some info. I'm in the USA. Been vaping for a year, both regulated and mech. Ordered a cheapie mech squonker (along with a Pulse22 RDA) a few days ago to get started. I'm a flavor chaser but clouds are also important. Thanks very much for the tips! :)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The Pulse is a good squonk RDA. It has decent flavor, the Hadaly is a little better, but the Pulse isn't $70. Here's a vid on how to build it:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@DogMan is another with loads of great advice
As is @BrewBear and @cromwell and @minimalsaint

In fact here's a link where many of the squonkers reside
http://vapingunderground.com/index.php?threads/183977/

All great people in there!
Personally I would always advise a newer person to get into regulated mods first like the wraith, vtinbix or drone.
I'd you're looking for mechanical mods there are many out there.
As to 'straw' that's a new one to me.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi KingPin. Sorry, I should have provided some info. I'm in the USA. Been vaping for a year, both regulated and mech. Ordered a cheapie mech squonker (along with a Pulse22 RDA) a few days ago to get started. I'm a flavor chaser but clouds are also important. Thanks very much for the tips! :)
The narda family of RDA are a good flavour/cloud balance.

Narda came first. Can only get clones now, but even elitist vapers ise them and call them ChiNarda instead of clone.

Then came the odis o atty. Refined it a bit

Hadaly was last in that line and very nice. If you buy a clone, make it shenray brand, not sxk

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you buy a clone, make it shenray brand, not sxk
I don't think there's any way that I can avoid buying a Hadaly, or clone. I don't own any sxk products but I was under the impression that they make very good 1:1 clones. Can you tell me why the shenray is better?

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think there's any way that I can avoid buying a Hadaly, or clone. I don't own any sxk products but I was under the impression that they make very good 1:1 clones. Can you tell me why the shenray is better?
Generally speaking, yes, you are right. The SXK are pretty good but on this one it's very much a hit and miss.....not many hits either. The Shen Ray (I'm told) is very much a 1:1. The SXK sort of fuddled the air holes and they don't line up very well. I had the SXK, bypassed the ShenRay and bought the authentic.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I have the ShenRay Hadaly it's very good the only bits I would say could be better are the insulators in that they are a bit crappy mine have some blemishes and are rough in some places but machining is quality ....flavour using an SS coil and temp control is incredible ....here is a pic of it

Im deffo going to get an authentic after trying this ultimately would like to give to the company who came up with this wonderful product felt kinda bad getting a clone lol but when you are spending that sort of money it's good to see if you will get on with it first

IMG_1049.JPG

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great advice on the Hadaly, guys. You both saved my anorexic wallet from more vape-abuse. :cool:

KingPin, that's an attractive setup. Re: coils, I don't enjoy creating them (poor eyesight/no magnifier) so I live on spools of SS clapton wire. Very happy with the flavor.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great advice on the Hadaly, guys. You both saved my anorexic wallet from more vape-abuse. :cool:

KingPin, that's an attractive setup. Re: coils, I don't enjoy creating them (poor eyesight/no magnifier) so I live on spools of SS clapton wire. Very happy with the flavor.

Wait till you jump into the squonker are bonkers thread firebird posted a link to ...loads of the guys have absolutely drool worthy gear and equally lots of it it NOT cheap either though hehe :)

This is one of the better regulated squonkers out there at the moment in the dual battery class (lost vapes drone BF) although the stock bottles are crap ....way to hard

But a kangertech will get the job done at less than half the price

Last edited:

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait till you jump into the squonker are bonkers thread firebird posted a link to ...loads of the guys have absolutely drool worthy gear and equally lots of it it NOT cheap either though hehe :)

Right?! I've been following squonking videos and Facebook Groups for some time and seen too many mods that I covet. Getting one is brutal and the prices pretty much shut me out of the running. That's not a jab at mod makers, though. I fully appreciate why homemade mods are expensive.

Yes, I've seen many complain about the stiffness of those squonk bottles and talk about boiling them, etc. No thanks. I'd rather buy an overpriced soft bottle and skip the aggravation. Re: the Drone, I have no real preference for mech vs regulated but I do favor small mods and have no problem with single battery devices.

I've been drooling over the Steam Rabbit for months. Goofy, girly reaction to what I think is a crazy cute mod. Unfortunately, I've heard that it's rough on battery wraps. Anyway, I'm heading over to the Bonkers thread now and girding myself for extreme jealousy. LOL.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@f1r3b1rd Absolutely love the look/size of the mod in your profile pic.
That belonged to a close friend of mine. As did this one. The one in my profile pic is the coolflow, this one is a mini toaster. They are both 3d printed mech squonkers. I think they come from certain Facebook groups, but I honestly can't be sure.
cab34755085004ffd9efbb21df746b82.jpg

These are hand made by a member here on Vu @Sonar505
4bd9eebc85ff3e023adb8da4bc84f623.jpg

BAM crew

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
That belonged to a close friend of mine. As did this one. The one in my profile pic is the coolflow, this one is a mini toaster. They are both 3d printed mech squonkers. I think they come from certain Facebook groups, but I honestly can't be sure.
cab34755085004ffd9efbb21df746b82.jpg

These are hand made by a member here on Vu @Sonar505
4bd9eebc85ff3e023adb8da4bc84f623.jpg

BAM crew

See what I mean! That red and black mod bird is absolutely awesome! <Drool> LoL

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@f1r3b1rd The wood number is gorgeous. Just saw some of his mods & prices. Wow wow wow!
Right? The workmanship is top notch. I have a dual series squonk box from him with an oklt-20 board and that little single 18650 there from him.

BAM crew

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right? The workmanship is top notch. I have a dual series squonk box from him with an oklt-20 board and that little single 18650 there from him.

BAM crew

Nice! I just love seeing the gear you 'experienced' folks have. :)

VU is opening my eyes and it's very exciting because I was becoming disillusioned with vaping and the endless variations of the same old same old being released every day. Squonking is uncharted territory for me (let the honeymoon begin!) but I've always thought that it's the perfect vaping solution. I'm looking forward to learning more and hopefully getting my hands on a nice mod or five. LOL. Incredibly stoked to discover that they can be had for less than the life of my firstborn. You so made my day. Thank you!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No worries dude.
The overall cost of gear has dropped considerably since I started almost 5 years ago.
While the cost has dropped the quality and available options has risen drastically.

BAM crew

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
While the cost has dropped the quality and available options has risen drastically.

* sitting here nodding as he debates continuing using his makeshift Goon LP, or swapping back to a chinarda to irk Lucy, or even swapping to his old Velocity ... ponders, grins and chuckles *

Awe well, .. the Goon it stays. Kind of still a bit surprised in liking Muji cotton. * shrugs * I might * feigning gasp * leave the church of Rayon after all. Hinky. :)

My squonking tip is to remember the squonk does not exist. See the rules of Squonk Club to understand better. Another good tip used to be buy whatever Spanky says is good to buy.

Well, think i'll go shoot myself in the foot now. 'scuse me.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"Hello, my name is Joe Pesico. I am a bottle squishing, button mashing vaper. This has been an obsession for me for roughly six months now. Yes, I have a problem. I am a bonkers squonker.
Don't laugh, it can happen to you as well. These squonkers are a subversive lot. They will eventually be those who take over the seven worlds by listening to Strawberry Fields, forever and squonking away their lives.
We have to stop them. * wields a squnking mod as the crowd lulls in distraction, squonks * They are pure evil. Look, i cannot resist squonking even now. I feel I have gone to live in a Yellow Submarine. Save yourselves, do not ever give in to the Dark Side(tm) and let yourself be fooled by the insidious joy of squonk."

(Joe Pesico obviously a fictional character used for purpose of dramatization of a Squonkers Anonymous meeting. My name is Friday, partner is Joe and the boss is Mike Gimble of the bunko squad. This is the city, a billion or more lives saved. *cue Dragnet music*)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Bill Gannon must be miffed.

Suffice to say Saul Good is a great author. :) ;) :p We'll keep on keepin' on, too.
Kind of rough day for me today. Power was off last night, back on at 11 AM.
I also got a visit from that Hu Ng Chow guy, darn him and his yummy cheeses
anyway. Storm last night also flooded our "bottom" land, making it too wet to do any
kind of mowing. Add in the blazing sun and mugginess and you see where we go
quickly.

"We Ain't Comin' Out, got Ayr ditionin in y'ere."

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"I thought I saw a Narda, ... Hm, I still think I did, indeed I do ..."

Kind of doubt it is that, knowing Lucy absolutely hates Nardas. Picture is a squint too dark for my 20/20 vision, though. No worries, I'm merely yammering after getting roughed up by the spirits of three of four of my grandfathers today. Had to pop an opioid to drop the pain.

*grumbles* Darn stuff works, works too good, too. Real easy to understand getting addicted. I am not and am being diligent to not become addicted. My GP is a former Navy nurse, she knows I'd likely rather be sawing off a limb than get hooked on that. She let me have up to five refills and "at my discretion, as needed only" do I take them. Wife has to argue me into taking them most times. "They're for the pain, you blockhead, take one and kick back, let the pain go."

The grandfathers come on me today as it is/was Sunday. I took a notion to go mowing with the motor scythe, wrong notion to have. Bah! Boy did I hear it, and then I felt it. Got my knee wrenched, led to spasms in the lower back, that on to my body deciding that punching me in the face, guts was a lolly joy idea. *chuckles* You have to love when your masochistic body takes on a mind of its own and it is viciously sadistic toward yourself. Hehe, great fun that, not.

Had wife's BIL mix me up a 250 ml batch of unflavored 18% nicotine at 30% PG / 70% VG. I'll do similar to what @Rossum does, diluting various different flavors. The CopperVape bottles are your standard 10 ml bottles. I can only manage to get roughly 9.5 ml into them as the tubing requires displacement. At any given doing the diluting in small batches of say 9 ml is easy enough to sort. Little goes to waste, sure there is still just a wee bit, yet not as severely as there had been.

What's this to do with squonking? Well, sitting here now enjoying a little :cloud: :cloud: . I forgot to make my once every three days pot of coffee, today. Otherwise I would probably be enjoying a cupa. Mom got the rain as well, in VA. Sharing? Ah, that lesson I never unlearned from kindergarten. :) Life is too short and too full of adversity, diversity, to not enjoy the love in it all at times. I have to pretend to do the jealousy bit and at times this seems to well, unsettle people, and for all kinds of differing reasons. Vaping is part of living and living has vaping apparently, i squonk my vape. Guess I squonked too much and raised up tornados out in the mid-West/West. Then, we all got rain on the Eastern front.

"Look, I told you Emacs uses control plus x and meta key F4 to emulate the chaos butterfly effect ..."

"uh huh, so i see it now, drat. I'm going back to Vim it's not so scary." *chuckles*

The chaos butterfly effect is the butterfly flapping its wings half a world away and causing tornados in the other half of the world. Folks say no such creature exists. How else do they explain Fred Astaire? Let them try that on for size, I'm feeling kind of surrealistic and dadaist this evening. All else fails? "Fuck the Bozos!"

Wait, i'm making sense. That's no good. i better ...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
See what drugs will do to you? That's gonna have a mean kick. :giggle:

(I suppose you meant 18 mg/ml, which is 1.8%)

Yep, 18mg per ml, gosh darn, I always get that fouled up. ( Even after having @AndriaD try so arduously to sort me out on it. ) :cuss: Yeah, drugs are real good for that. :giggle: Not all due in part to drugs though, lots of "Old Timer's", dementia, outright insanity in my family. That and some roughness in going on living, working, playing hard. :) Granted I will admit drugs have had some part. Not totally all the drugs though is what I'm saying.

VU Sponsors