Become a Patron!

Newbie Vapor here:)

Just started vaping a few days ago. I do have a question though. I got a mini istick with a digital screen. I like it, its very basic and easy. Question one, Dude said to start on 24 mgs o nicotine since I have been smoking so long/much. He also told me to stick to this set up when I was trying to ask questions about bigger set ups/mods etc. I really don't understand why he would not want me spend more money. My son has one that he uses cotton with and a coil and while it seems a little much for me now, Maybe soon? Any ways just need opions on nicotine amounts, should I just stay with this set up? Or would I benifit from one of those really cool looking ones lol . Thanks in advance

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just started vaping a few days ago. I do have a question though. I got a mini istick with a digital screen. I like it, its very basic and easy. Question one, Dude said to start on 24 mgs o nicotine since I have been smoking so long/much. He also told me to stick to this set up when I was trying to ask questions about bigger set ups/mods etc. I really don't understand why he would not want me spend more money. My son has one that he uses cotton with and a coil and while it seems a little much for me now, Maybe soon? Any ways just need opions on nicotine amounts, should I just stay with this set up? Or would I benifit from one of those really cool looking ones lol . Thanks in advance
Hi Sherin, and welcome. With the FDA deeming regulations looming like a dark cloud over vapers, many people are buying things. I'm not suggesting you go out and spend a ton of money on things you're not sure about, but everyone does have their faves. Does the one you're using come with built in tank, or are you using a separate tank?

What you look for depends on the style of vaping you might prefer. I'm a low wattage, flavor chaser and I MTL (mouth to lung) draw like I would a cigarette. I don't need a lot of power, I don't burn through juice. All my gear is easy to use, I do build my own coils, though. I hated spending money on coils, only to throw them away after a couple weeks. Lots of options on easy to build tanks, too. There are other options out there for DL (direct lung) vaping.

I started out on 18mg nic, but bumped up fto 24mg only for a short while. If 24mg is working out for you, no worries. Some do great, some need less. Over time, I'm down to about 9mg. Use the gear, nic strength and everything that works best for you. There's nothing wrong with liking the set up you currently have while you shop around or read about other things. The selection these days is overwhelming, it's a perfect time for people wanting to make the switch.

Any questions you might have, we're all here to help. Lots of really great people here. Spend some time hunting around the sections. We're a social bunch, so have some fun. Welcome to the family, and congrats on your switch! :)

I have a seperate tank and he said that I would have to change the atomizer? Sp sorry every week. Thanks for such a fast reply. I have one more question. The small shop here in my town does not ask anything about vg or pg. At Christmas I went to a bigger vape shop to get some juice for my son for Christmas (before I vaped) and they asked me what pg/pg I wanted. I text my son and he told me what to get him at the time. What do I need to ask for as I did not like the customer service in our small vape shop and will be going back to other one. So when I am asked about pg/vg what do I say? Again thanks for your help. I only had to cigarettes today so I am thinking vaping is quite the success so far:)

SerenityM

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a seperate tank and he said that I would have to change the atomizer? Sp sorry every week. Thanks for such a fast reply. I have one more question. The small shop here in my town does not ask anything about vg or pg. At Christmas I went to a bigger vape shop to get some juice for my son for Christmas (before I vaped) and they asked me what pg/pg I wanted. I text my son and he told me what to get him at the time. What do I need to ask for as I did not like the customer service in our small vape shop and will be going back to other one. So when I am asked about pg/vg what do I say? Again thanks for your help. I only had to cigarettes today so I am thinking vaping is quite the success so far:)

The atomizer would be the little coil that usually unscrews or pulls out in the tank. Depending on what type of tank you have usually helps in figuring what vg/pg ratio would be best. In case you don't know, pg makes the liquid thinner (which is good for certain tanks), tends to carry the flavor more, and the cloud production isn't as dense. Vg has a slightly sweet Taste in itself, it's thick, and you get a thick cloud from it. Usually, there is more vg than pg in eliquid. The higher the vg the thicker the liquid. Also, 24mg is a high level. I would like to know what tank it is just in case you get too much nicotine for it, it will also help in knowing vg/pg ratio.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
2 cigarettes is excellent! It took me 3 weeks to finally put them down. As far as changing your atomizer, you'll know by the flavor it's producing. It'll taste really muddled, or even burnt. You'll notice a major change in the flavor, or even less vapor than you're used to. Some coils can last 2-3 weeks, it depends on the juice you use. Some flavorings do clog up a coil faster than others.

Serenity described the VG/PG ratios very well to you. My personal thing is a higher PG ratio. I'm sensitive to VG, so I keep that fairly low in my mixes, while other people sometimes have a sensitivity to PG.

SerenityM

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
2 cigarettes is excellent! It took me 3 weeks to finally put them down. As far as changing your atomizer, you'll know by the flavor it's producing. It'll taste really muddled, or even burnt. You'll notice a major change in the flavor, or even less vapor than you're used to. Some coils can last 2-3 weeks, it depends on the juice you use. Some flavorings do clog up a coil faster than others.

Serenity described the VG/PG ratios very well to you. My personal thing is a higher PG ratio. I'm sensitive to VG, so I keep that fairly low in my mixes, while other people sometimes have a sensitivity to PG.
A good amount of people are allergic to PG. Just recently I noticed some that are sensitive to VG like you are. This older gentleman says It makes him cough really bad and another lady doesn't like to vape it because she said it makes her face break out! Unfortunately, PG makes me cough a whole lot.

Sherin its going to take a bit of trying things out to figure out what's best for you. :). See what tank yours is then we can figure out where you can start at.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This older gentleman says It makes him cough really bad
I get this, and I also get a very congested feel in my chest, makes it really hard to breathe. I have to stay under 30 VG, but it's better at 25. Trial and error, but I found what works for me. @sherinwv you will, too.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like a 50% PG & 50% VG mix for my juice. Though it seems a lot more vendors are promoting higher VG in juices. I'm alright to using 30% PG 70% VG, may even do 100% VG if gradually worked to that. The 50% juice for me does well, get an even balance of clouds to flavor. If you use unflavored there is still mild sweetness from VG & an occasional peppery zing from nicotine.

There is a right and correct way to mix juices. That aside there's no real correct or right way to say one mix of juice suits everyone. There's no right or correct, except what is right for a vaper themselves at their choice. You have to take a bit and find that for yourself. It is kind of like, "do I smoke the unfiltered Lucky Strikes, or filtered Reds," question. Try one of each and see.

Also finding there is no need to compare yourself to what others do, or don't do. This applies in all aspects of life and not only vaping. If you want to think you see invisible green horses, it's fine, so long as you're not harming anyone doing so. I may, or may not think that. I will :) and let others remain left wondering.

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started around 18 mg which was too much and i use to smoke a pack a day roughly.

It depends on how much you vape, if you vape constantly you might wanna go for six. If you vape every hour for a cpl hits 18 might work for you.

Id go with 18 and buy a 12 incase it is too much. Listen to your body just be careful and be responsable.

VU Sponsors