Become a Patron!

Newbie with a Kangertech Subox Mini

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all! I'm a relative newbie when it comes to vaping. I got a Kangertech Subox Mini starter kit around a month ago and have been able to quit smoking cold turkey right off the bat. All in all, I am pretty darn happy with my mod but I don't really know a lot about it.

Any tips you can give me?

P.S.
The first day I had it I almost burned out the cotton in the OCC because I kept dripping juice in it when I vaped. I assumed that I had to drip since the tank had a drip tip attached. That's how clueless I was.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, don't feel bad about that. The very first time I ever tried to fill a tank I did that way myself. Best thing I can tell u is make sure your batteries are good and not some generic branded unknown. For me personally I basically only use Samsung or LG batteries. Mine the USB port stopped working and shorted out, I bought it that way for cheap and just broke the USB pins off and use an external charger. So be careful if you do use onboard charging as I've seen this is a fairly common issue, I'm guessing the USB port just isn't made very well. Aside from that just turn the power up to what's comfortable for u and you'll be good to go, pretty simple mod that in my experience works really well. Mine doesn't fire occasionally when I push the button, but it's very rare and I just fire it up again and works just fine.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine doesn't fire occasionally when I push the button, but it's very rare and I just fire it up again and works just fine.
I had that problem with mine too.Turn it off remove the battery and topper and get a toothpick and gently clean around the fire button.Super easy fix that really works.

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the input, guys, really appreciate it. So far no problems on mine, just the occasional dry hit. I usually use the 1.5 ohm OCC and vape at around 15-20 watts. Haven't gathered enough courage to start on the RBA yet since I might break it, lol.

Oh yeah, I use Samsung Smurfs on the Mini so I don't have any problems there yet.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Quick tip on the coils. Take a safety pin or a needle and before u put the coil in (fresh coil) poke the pin through the wicking hole, slowly and carefully. As long as they're the horizontal coils that will work. Helps on my isub tank, and people originally started doing it with those kanger heads.
Like this Guy.

Last edited:

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quick tip on the coils. Take a safety pin or a needle and before u put the coil in (fresh coil) poke the pin through the wicking hole, slowly and carefully. As long as they're the horizontal coils that will work. Helps on my isub tank, and people originally started doing it with those kanger heads.
Like this Guy.
I use a tooth pick for this.The newer Kanger OCC's are vertical coils so be careful and don't poke all the way through.Poke poke poke turn poke poke poke done.
f16787156ed171d8c4a52fe9fb5a0cc9fac55972c2f10c70a7a320afe5aa256b.jpg

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all! I'm a relative newbie when it comes to vaping. I got a Kangertech Subox Mini starter kit around a month ago and have been able to quit smoking cold turkey right off the bat. All in all, I am pretty darn happy with my mod but I don't really know a lot about it.

P.S.
The first day I had it I almost burned out the cotton in the OCC because I kept dripping juice in it when I vaped. I assumed that I had to drip since the tank had a drip tip attached. That's how clueless I was.
LOL!!
Welcome to the forum, and congrats. on quitting smoking!
I just returned to vaping and also purchased the same unit, Kangertech.
Little over a month now w/out smoking.

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dang! So happy to see that people on this forum actually care enough to help a noob out. I tried other forums and they were all like "Go read the tutorials on how to do this and that."

Btw, just tried the 0.5 ohm coil and loving it as well. Just not so used to the direct to lung method but am producing a crap ton of smoke!

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Thanks for the tip! Tried it and it works like a charm!

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Big thanks to everyone who replied! You know how to make a guy feel welcome!

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We were all new and uneducated once, I found out ALOT when I finally started asking questions, pretty much everybody here was where u are and understands what it's like to just not know, I know I was. Welcome here and glad you found our little vape hole.

Erik13

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get some .5 coils and turn it up to 40w! It made a world of difference for me.

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get some .5 coils and turn it up to 40w! It made a world of difference for me.

Yeah, currently using the 0.5 coil that came with the starter kit. I normally vape at 15-18w on the 1.5 but trying at 20w right now. Loving the massive clouds!

nmclemente

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like this Guy.

Is there a specific difference between doing this method and priming your coils as usual? I've heard of people doing this, but don't know the reason for it. Just bought a subox mini myself a few days ago and certainly still learning!

Erik13

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Interesting. I'd like to know the reason as well

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there a specific difference between doing this method and priming your coils as usual? I've heard of people doing this, but don't know the reason for it. Just bought a subox mini myself a few days ago and certainly still learning!
This method is generally used if you are having slow wicking problems. Priming the coils is just to ensure not burning the cotton right off the bat.

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When they manufacture these coils sometimes you get cotton that is a bit tight, doing this makes it to where if you are chain vaping or vaping at higher wattage the cotton is looser and allows juice to be absorbed rapidly enough to keep up with your vaping.

nmclemente

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When they manufacture these coils sometimes you get cotton that is a bit tight, doing this makes it to where if you are chain vaping or vaping at higher wattage the cotton is looser and allows juice to be absorbed rapidly enough to keep up with your vaping.

Makes sense! I'm definitely going to give a try when I change coils. Thanks!

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Makes sense! I'm definitely going to give a try when I change coils. Thanks!
There are 2 different Kangertech OCC coils. first generation where the coil is horizontal and the new version with a vertical coil that has larger diameter wicking channels. On the new ones the poking method isn't really necessary.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reason to get pokey with the wick = fluffy cotton wicks better than stiff...Cheers!

Last edited:

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using the vertical coils but it seems (for me) that poking the intake holes is still a good idea. Right now I've upped my vaping to 30-40w on the .5 coil and i rarely get dry hits.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't get too used to having such a pretty finish on it if you carry it around a lot. The Subox kit was one of my first and recently my brother dropped it and jammed the top battery pin. Although it rarely ever gets used, I'm replacing it. They are just great to have around and I can't stand to have a collection hole.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

P.S.
The Kanger subox is a great unit. I've tried the sticking the needle in the cotton and it didn't work for me. Turned it into a slurpee. You can replace the cotton in the OCC's pretty easily. There are 2 RBA's available. You can tell V1, it has a small screw on the front, and a hole on each side of the RBA. The V2 RBA, no screw no holes. I love the RBA's they are easy to rebuild, check youtube. The only thing I have ever seen break is people dropping them, and it sticks the spring loaded battery post in. You can take it apart and fix it. There are 2 screws in the battery compartment, 1 of them is under the Kanger sticker.

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't get too used to having such a pretty finish on it if you carry it around a lot. The Subox kit was one of my first and recently my brother dropped it and jammed the top battery pin. Although it rarely ever gets used, I'm replacing it. They are just great to have around and I can't stand to have a collection hole.
use a small pick, or tip of a knife to pop that top post back out..worked for me

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
use a small pick, or tip of a knife to pop that top post back out..worked for me
LOL, Very true on the finish. They do make skins, but I'm to cheap. Mine looks like is has leprosy. I've got another that was in the trash at the shop and looks new. Someone has tossed it because the battery post stuck. Mines been dropped so many times, I'm surprised that I've never busted the tank. They are very durable.

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started a thread here about the top post getting stuck, it happened to me after a very small drop ~1 foot, out of my inner coat pocket.
At the time, I thought nothing of it because it had taken a greater drop before so I put it back in my pocet, then at break time...panic..almost..someone offered me a old fashined and I declined..lol...at luch time used my knife to pop the button back out.
On my stuck button, it was jammed to one side more than the other, and that side where it was tight, is where the knife tip was inserted..popped right back out for me.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As Huff said, Easy fix. If you can't pop the pin out, just take it apart. Once you remove the two screws the internals will slide right out. There's a round plastic flat piece on top of the spring that you will see once it's apart, pop the plastic piece, reset the spring, and reassemble. I've probably had to fix 5 of them for people, 5 minutes and a small phillips.

is it just me or does the sub box have a stronger hit than the others? Iv vaped a pro tank 2 for a year and just got the sub tank mini and wow my 18mg juice is strong!

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Be careful with that 18mg juice, that`s all I can say..lol
12mg/ml was too much for me with the Kanger, but 18mg/ml was no problem on the smaller pen type unit I used before

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
is it just me or does the sub box have a stronger hit than the others? Iv vaped a pro tank 2 for a year and just got the sub tank mini and wow my 18mg juice is strong!
I'm surprised you can do 18mg on a Kanger, 6 mg is probably what you see the most. They vape well. I'm running 18 watts at .3 ohm, 3 mg. I've seen a lot of people kick analogs with Kanger Subox's.

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
6mg is ideal IMO, even 10mg was a little much for me when I first quit and went to the Kanger

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm surprised you can do 18mg on a Kanger, 6 mg is probably what you see the most. They vape well. I'm running 18 watts at .3 ohm, 3 mg. I've seen a lot of people kick analogs with Kanger Subox's.
I had just dropped to 12mg when I got my Kbox & Sub-Tank Plus Combo.My first few tanks the taste was awesome but I found myself getting perma-grin and feeling slightly dizzy.So had to switch down almost immediately to 6mg.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had just dropped to 12mg when I got my Kbox & Sub-Tank Plus Combo.My first few tanks the taste was awesome but I found myself getting perma-grin and feeling slightly dizzy.So had to switch down almost immediately to 6mg.
I've got several differet Mods and tanks. If I'm at home, or go by the shop and hang out, I like dripping the RDA at about 80 watts. If I am anywhere else the Kanger Subox is my have with me. I am definitely a nicotine addict, but enojy it as a hobby as well. I am all about function, and the Kanger Subox does a good job of getting it done. For about $50 you can get one in hand with a battery. For anyone trying to quit smoking, I would recommend it very highly. There are other boxes out there that are similar in performance, and characteristics. But it is a good solid setup for the price.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started a thread here about the top post getting stuck, it happened to me after a very small drop ~1 foot, out of my inner coat pocket.
At the time, I thought nothing of it because it had taken a greater drop before so I put it back in my pocet, then at break time...panic..almost..someone offered me a old fashined and I declined..lol...at luch time used my knife to pop the button back out.
On my stuck button, it was jammed to one side more than the other, and that side where it was tight, is where the knife tip was inserted..popped right back out for me.

When it first broke, I immediately took out my pocket knife and tried popping it back out but no good. After that I stuck it on the shelf and forgot about it. Then I saw this post and decided to try again but this time with a dull razor blade. I popped right out and works as good as it used to. Thanks for the tip and inspiration. Now it can go back to sitting on the shelf expect in a functional condition :)

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When it first broke, I immediately took out my pocket knife and tried popping it back out but no good. After that I stuck it on the shelf and forgot about it. Then I saw this post and decided to try again but this time with a dull razor blade. I popped right out and works as good as it used to. Thanks for the tip and inspiration. Now it can go back to sitting on the shelf expect in a functional condition :)
a darn good little box to have as a spare!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Since its been so long and it's working again, I decided to break out the old girl during the movie my wife and I watched tonight. The full kit is still a great setup and a pleasing to the eye too boot. She will definitely be seeing more use.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got several differet Mods and tanks. If I'm at home, or go by the shop and hang out, I like dripping the RDA at about 80 watts. If I am anywhere else the Kanger Subox is my have with me. I am definitely a nicotine addict, but enojy it as a hobby as well. I am all about function, and the Kanger Subox does a good job of getting it done. For about $50 you can get one in hand with a battery. For anyone trying to quit smoking, I would recommend it very highly. There are other boxes out there that are similar in performance, and characteristics. But it is a good solid setup for the price.
My current top thing to recommend to people wanting to people wanting to switch from smoking to vaping is an iStick 30 & GS Tank and some coils

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
might be just me, but I dont get those huge thick clouds with mine. I like it but I believe my old pro tank 2 can put out a bigger cloud.

I think you might be vaping at a lower wattage then? I get big clouds vaping at 30 watts on a .3 occ.

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Like Huff said, careful with the juice. Most I can go on mine is 6mg. Anything higher and I cough my lungs out.

fdalbert

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Yep! My wife got me an XCube II for christmas and that's what I currently use at home only since it sucks up so much juice. I bring the subox when I go out since it's more portable.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
might be just me, but I dont get those huge thick clouds with mine. I like it but I believe my old pro tank 2 can put out a bigger cloud.
If you're using the 0.5ohm coils crank it up to at least 20watts but no higher than 28watts unless you like the taste of hot coil and burning cotton.
I had a pro-tank V2 and honestly I hated it because it was way too airy and had weak vapor and a very muted flavor,Trust me the subox mini & sub-tank mini combo are way better at flavor & clouds and about a perfect draw using the smallest air-hole.The only thing I don't like is the sub-tank mini leaks...All sub-ohm tanks do to some extent but it just seems a bit excessive on leakiness to me at least...Cheers!

VU Sponsors