Become a Patron!

Newbie with an odd question

Hi guys! :) I'm Hannah!

Recently I have been looking a lot into vaping such as reading up on it and watching a ton of videos on YouTube regarding it. A little background on me is I rarely ever bought cigarettes and if I did it would only be in situations I was upset and the box would last forever, my friends would actually take 90% of them. I'd also smoke when a cig was offered to me or when drinking. I liked the feel of it but just not the horrid smell it put off. So when I saw disposable e-cigs on sale for like $2.99 I just went for it and basically lasted me two hours and didn't get much vapor out of it. But I continued on and bought several more and never had any trouble. A few days back I was at a gas station and they had a cheap pen vaporizer made by zig-zag for $24.99 and menthol juice (made by the same company) for like $6 so temptation got to the best of me and I bought it. The first night using it was cool and all and didn't have any problems (or didn't notice it since I was a little buzzed). But today I woke up and did smoke and noticed my throat got extremely dry and didn't think anything of it. My throat was fine an hour later and I did it again and it got dry again... so I started experimenting with it and noticed my throat only dries out when I use it. What would be the cause of this? I mean I didn't have any problem with any of the $2.99 disposable e-cigs so do you think it's the juice or something else, or has anyone heard something like this? There's an actual vape shop about 15min from me that I hear great stories from friends and good online reviews so I might stop by there...

Thanks everyone.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Short answer: vaping will dehydrate you. Just drink extra water. This may cause serious dehydration in the winter time since the air is dry to begin with. Just use a humidifier or steam air vaporizer if you think that is happening.

Short answer: vaping will dehydrate you. Just drink extra water. This may cause serious dehydration in the winter time since the air is dry to begin with. Just use a humidifier or steam air vaporizer if you think that is happening.

So you don't think it's the juice or pen?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Vaping propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin will dehydrate you, period. That vapor coming out of your mouth is composed partly of the humidity in your mouth. Yes, it's the juice, yes it's the pen, yes it's every other vaping products. The reason you didn't experience this from your cigalikes, you actually answered that for yourself when you said you "didn't get much vapor out of it." The more vapor, the more you will experience dehydration. It's a small price to pay. Think about it. Vaping causes dehydration which is cured by a glass of water. Cigarettes cause cancer that in rare cases can be cured by long and grueling treatments of chemotherapy. Just drink the water and you'll be fine. Welcome to the forum by the way. ;<))

Haha thanks :) So is it something you just gain a tolerance for over time? The people I've seen vaping they don't have a water bottle around them and just go about their days.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haha thanks :) So is it something you just gain a tolerance for over time? The people I've seen vaping they don't have a water bottle around them and just go about their days.
We're all different. Don't worry about what others do. If you find yourself getting dehydrated, drink a Gatorade or something.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I vape max, VG. If I chain vape I get a dryness similar to cotton mouth. I drink a crap load of water anyway, but ya, it'll dry your mouth and throat. I don't know that you get used to it. I've been vaping max vg for about a year and it still happens. It could be too that youre more sensitive having never smoked. The throat hit from pg takes some getting used to for some people and it can make you a little dry and scratchy for a little wile. Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have had a juice that would dry me out something awful. No problems before that juice, and no problems since.

So, while it does seem to occur on an individual basis, a particular juice can cause dry mouth more than others. Definately try something else.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Glad you found us.

Being hydrated means drinking a lot of water during the day but not necessarily constantly drinking it while vaping. Kind of just letting water accumulate in your system.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Another little bit of info. I don't know how true it is, but the Marine Corps always taught us that it can take 48 hours of drinking the proper amount of water for all your cells to become properly hydrated. They said if you wait until you're thirsty to drink water, you're already dehydrated. You can quickly replace water lost from sweating, but rehydrating a body that is dehydrated takes a while. As the body is mostly water, keeping it fully hydrated helps all kinds of things.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i heard somewhere that most people are already living life dehydrated and when we vape the vg/pg drys out our mouth and throat (because we are already dehydrated) and bring it to our attention. seems logical and would explain why i only need to drink a bottle of water at night and im good. and in that sense vaping keeps you more hydrated than the population :D

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, my time in the Corps taught me the importance of proper hydration. I don't know a single person that drinks enough water on a daily basis. It's the simplest, most important and most overlooked part of maintaining a healthy body in my humble opinion.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, my time in the Corps taught me the importance of proper hydration. I don't know a single person that drinks enough water on a daily basis. It's the simplest, most important and most overlooked part of maintaining a healthy body in my humble opinion.
agreed and its just another way vaping has improved my life and health

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Yes and No.
Best way I can explain it is to give an example of the most used drug we know of: Caffeine.
Caffeine also dehydrates you, it is a desiccant like nicotine. But if you regularly consume caffeinated products, you will already be automatically consuming extra water to prevent dehydration, simply because your used to the dehydrating effects and are used to drinking other liquids without even thinking about it. You are automatically keeping your hydration level high enough to compensate for the dehydrating effects of the caffeine. HOWEVER, if you *rarely* consume anything with caffeine, then have a few cups of coffee, you will become dehydrated because you are not used to the caffeine intake and thus wont be automatically consuming the extra liquid to prevent feeling dehydrated.

I assume it's also the same with vaping. As you vape more often, you will drink more and get used to drinking more liquids. then you will stop getting a dry mouth and throat from it. PS, I only say *assume* because I've never had it happen to me, I already normally drink between 1 and 2 gallons of plain water a day and have since giving up Soda 6 years ago.

Simple dehydration test, check the color of your piss, it should be clear or only slightly yellow.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Consuming sufficient water that contains other ingredients may help reduce the risk of becoming dehydrated, but then you cause other problems. Kinda hard to flush out toxins by using water full of toxins. Your kidneys and other parts of your body appreciate a sufficient daily intake of clean water.

wildwildwest

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mildly dehydrated is pretty vague. Also, my many years experience as a Marine having to engage in many hours a week of strength and endurance training say that claim could be true only if mild dehydration means very slightly dehydrated. I trust the 200+ years of actual experience and knowledge the Marine Corps has compiled while being in the business of building and maintaining well working human bodies. My own experience just reinforces what they taught me. It's not about pounding large amounts of water in short periods of time causing a water induced coma. It's about maintaining a sufficient intake of water on a daily basis. If you wait to start hydrating until 45 minutes before some kind of physical training, you're doing it wrong. Run for a minimum of three miles, three times a week for twenty years and eventually you realize proper hydration of every cell in your body cannot be achieved and maintained in 45 minutes, but instead requires a constant and daily effort.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi guys! :) I'm Hannah!

Recently I have been looking a lot into vaping such as reading up on it and watching a ton of videos on YouTube regarding it. A little background on me is I rarely ever bought cigarettes and if I did it would only be in situations I was upset and the box would last forever, my friends would actually take 90% of them. I'd also smoke when a cig was offered to me or when drinking. I liked the feel of it but just not the horrid smell it put off. So when I saw disposable e-cigs on sale for like $2.99 I just went for it and basically lasted me two hours and didn't get much vapor out of it. But I continued on and bought several more and never had any trouble. A few days back I was at a gas station and they had a cheap pen vaporizer made by zig-zag for $24.99 and menthol juice (made by the same company) for like $6 so temptation got to the best of me and I bought it. The first night using it was cool and all and didn't have any problems (or didn't notice it since I was a little buzzed). But today I woke up and did smoke and noticed my throat got extremely dry and didn't think anything of it. My throat was fine an hour later and I did it again and it got dry again... so I started experimenting with it and noticed my throat only dries out when I use it. What would be the cause of this? I mean I didn't have any problem with any of the $2.99 disposable e-cigs so do you think it's the juice or something else, or has anyone heard something like this? There's an actual vape shop about 15min from me that I hear great stories from friends and good online reviews so I might stop by there...

Thanks everyone.
Your profile states that you are 18.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She's the one who brought it up and admitted to breaking a law on a public forum. I see no problem with calling her out on it.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
She asked for vaping advice, not a father figure. It's off topic and irrelevant. Yes?

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was smoking at 12 when the age requirement was 16...

Me breaking that law pales in comparison to the 7-11 clerk who sold me the camels, don'tcha think?

D.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One off topic comment was made by someone who is not me and you proceeded to reply to the off topic comment and continue to make off topic comments, but you're criticising me? Hypocritical yes? Good bye.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One off topic comment was made by someone who is not me and you proceeded to reply to the off topic comment and continue to make off topic comments, but you're criticising me? Hypocritical yes? Good bye.

Sorry @BoomStick . You asked what my point was. There was no criticising. Just the explaination that you asked for. My intent was not to chap your ass. You asked.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got you. I just get irritated sometimes. I understand kids do stupid crap, but posting that stupid crap on the Internet is double stupid. Idiot children. Ok, I'll leave it alone now. ;)

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Yeah. I had more dry mouth on my Kanger Protank (sort of like an upgrade to your Zig-Zag), than I did on my cig-a-like I bought a year before and tossed after an hour. My RDA (dripper) gives me more dry mouth than either. The more vapor they make, the more they'll dry you out. Just drink more water, tea, whatever you like to compensate. Beats coffin nails. Anyway, for some reason, I'm used to dry mouth.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Drinking water is now on my to do list. :D I can't stand it and don't unless I'm sweating, then nothing's better. R.I.P. right? :D

But I found this thread due to having serious pain in my right wrist and knee to the point I'm having trouble getting through the days working and playing drums.

Maybe I need to drop the many cups of coffee per day to just a few as well. LOL :D

I know about the coffee and the lack of water is the problem. But to the point I feel like my wrist is broke and I feel I could now use a knee replacement? WATER! :D

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You'll get used to drinking water (or flavored water)

6 years ago I went from drinking nearly a case of soda a day to drinking mostly plain water.
Didn't like it much at first but quickly grew to prefer it over soda. Since then my drink of choice has been plain water.
My soda intake can be measured in cans per month now instead of cases per week.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You'll get used to drinking water (or flavored water)

6 years ago I went from drinking nearly a case of soda a day to drinking mostly plain water.
Didn't like it much at first but quickly grew to prefer it over soda. Since then my drink of choice has been plain water.
My soda intake can be measured in cans per month now instead of cases per week.
I hear ya! I did drink alot of water today and a big Gaterade. Thanks I'll keep it up, I have to.

VU Sponsors