Become a Patron!

Next Generation MTL tanks Part 2

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't think.
I went back to basics in the hurricane. 28g kanthal. 9ish wraps. 1.47 ohms. It's not very good, I don't think. I don't know if it's the lack of vapor production or the taste off the kanthal. I'm going to try the same build with ss in the morning after work and see what happens. I did try 3*28 kanthal twisted but it was too hot. I think 2 twisted ss is going to be my favorite

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Put the tank thru and see if it breaks in, flavor is stellar in mine with kanthal, 26g at about 1.1 (not much diff than your build).

If no good after a break in then try a diff coil.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Toldja... ;)
When you do twisted coils, do you find they go out of shape when you fire them to rid them of hot spots? I find that almost every time I do a twisted coil one end closes up. Like if I do a 3mm after the first couple of fires, said end is after after shrinking to a 2.5mm. Doesn't matter if I'm using kanthal or SS, one end almost always shrinks.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Put the tank thru and see if it breaks in, flavor is stellar in mine with kanthal, 26g at about 1.1 (not much diff than your build).

If no good after a break in then try a diff coil.
So, I used it all night at work and it was wreaking havoc on my throat. I think the place I bought that juice from changed their mixture to 50/50 instead of 70/30. I put in a new wick and changed juice. Same coil though. It's better in the fact that it's easier to vape but it's tasteless. Vapor production is ok but I think it's a density problem. Even jacking the watts up to 25 or dropping them to 13 doesn't improve the flavor, nor does tighter airflow settings. I think I may have ruined myself and have gotten used to the warmer denser vape from multi wire builds. I haven't tried a parallel in it yet though. I did have great results with those in the goblin mini so I may try that next if I don't give into the temptation that is twisted SS. I had that in there already and really liked it.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Brewbear, I saw you mention an airflow restrictor for the bachelor nano. I didn't get a conversion kit with my std bachelor, any idea where to pick one of those up? In default configuration mine sucks for mtl, just too airy.

Also, what sort of wizardry did you use to stuff 2 coils in the bach deck? Someone mentioned there were photos from a previous thread but they never made it here. I'm envisioning smaller coils riding double decker one on top of the other, the upper coil with longer legs sharing the same holes as the lower coil? I guess with smaller coils it would work considering I managed to fit a 4mm coil in there and could probably go 4.5-5mm id if I were really careful.

F

fckaugust8th

Thank you @riverdan , I have 2 o'dem kits acomin but wasn't sure they were the right thing. As for the dual coils, they were replacing a vertical coil:confused: The set-up was 30g ss wire 2.5 mm ID, 9 wraps. They were set on either side of the air hole not above each other. Since then I moved on to a single coil 3 mm ID ss dragon skin wire. @raymo2u told me how it is made ( twisted triple strand clapton ).

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I wish I could get my hands on one....I bet I could put something crazy in it..

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lmao definitely some intricate wire wizardry from raymo2u from what I've seen.

@riverdan thanks for the link! Very cool, I'll have to put it on my to do list. I'd like to try mtl with the bachelor it just kills me in the stock setup though. Like here, sip this - then having a keg unleashed in your face lol. Even with the airflow completely closed I can vape it somewhat.

@Brewbear Gotcha. I've only been running single coils in it so far, 28ga ss with an id of around 4mm. Used a 16d nail as the jig and from what I understand they're right around 4mm. Either the stainless is super springy or I'm not doing something right. No matter how close I try to wrap it they always end up regular spaced coils. Haven't tried pulsing and squeezing with pliers to turn it into a micro coil. Might try twisting the 28g and see how that works out for me.

I'm just happy when I get it together and no 'atomizer short' messages haha. Been considering a kayfun v3 mini for mtl, seems to be a fan favorite. I think it's a top fill which is awesome in my book. Looked at the others and many like the russian 91 I think have that screwy bottom fill screw to contend with. One thing to have a tool or two when replacing coils, I don't want a toolchest every time I wanna refill the tank. That just has pia written all over it.

F

fckaugust8th

@Synphul, you have to buy annealed ss wire and I believe most of it is. Spaced coils are fine. I bought a Coil master coiling jig from IMR battery place, it was $8 on sale. I have 2 kayfun mini v3's and they are fine mtl tanks but a little finicky wicking, not as bad as the K4. I was looking at the K5 clones ($100+ for authentic is too rich for my blood ) and they look to me like a larger iteration of the mini v3. That would make the K5 a very good choice for mtl. I'm using the Pico kit with the Melo 3 mini tank and if you put the 1.8 ohm aspire coil in it, it is a fine mtl tank. In fact, I like it so much, I ordered a full size Melo 3 and another mini from vapenw ($16.99 a piece ).

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Image00072.jpg

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Brewbear, I'm not sure if it's annealed or not. It's UD's ss-316L. I may look into a coil jig, one of those two piece type with the rod between them. Could probably make one if nothing else. The ones I've seen mostly are just a handle with a stepped rod for various sizes until I saw Phil Busardo use a two piece version. Pretty slick, it went incredibly fast and came out with a tight micro coil. I think he was using kanthal though, not sure how all the different metals behave if ss is springier than kanthal or not.

F

fckaugust8th

I haven't seen Busarbo, but yes, it is a 2 piece contraption that has interchangeable rods for different size coils.

F

fckaugust8th

Getting back to the Bachelor nano, I put the air flow restrict or doodad, roughly 2 mm id. Outer afc ring open 1/4, twisted 30g SS wire 8 wrap's 2.4 mm id. Life is good. ....for now :confused:

F

fckaugust8th

@snake94115, is that a staged clapton helix? Do the lights dim in the house when you fire that thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
Getting back to the Bachelor nano, I put the air flow restrict or doodad, roughly 2 mm id. Outer afc ring open 1/4, twisted 30g SS wire 8 wrap's 2.4 mm id. Life is good. ....for now :confused:
Good for yous on the SS twist.
My Bach Nano absolutely craps on my new Merlin.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
Either the stainless is super springy or I'm not doing something right. No matter how close I try to wrap it they always end up regular spaced coils. Haven't tried pulsing and squeezing with pliers to turn it into a micro coil. Might try twisting the 28g and see how that works out for me.
It's un-annealed. You need a coil wrapping jig with stainless. Even then, you still have to tug on the ends of the coil
(while holding the other end in place) repeatedly to get the coil to form to the size of the jig.
You gotta work it with SS. One of the physical properties of SS is it's tendency to hold it's current shape.
No other metal has this property. To understand this, pinch a piece into a V shape and then try and bend it back straight. It's nearly impossible, even using pliers.

When coiling stainless, you gotta have patience... wrap, hold, pull the ends... lather, rinse, repeat.
you will not ever be able to do this with a nail easily.

F

fckaugust8th

@SharkVape, the Merlin has capabilities but now I need to make my own air restrictor since the ones for the Bachelor are different thread.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
@SharkVape, the Merlin has capabilities but now I need to make my own air restrictor since the ones for the Bachelor are different thread.
I never getcher tags. There's a space in me user name. ;)

On no planet is the Merlin an MTL tank IMO.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
I gotta tell ya, these new(?) Aspire Triton SS coil heads are spectacular.
Melo 3 is a new tank with these. They have even brought my SuperTank Mini
outta the drawer and back in the starting line up.

Props to Aspire and big thanks to @f1r3b1rd.

Last edited:

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
@Shark Vape, which Triton coils? Will they work with the Atlantis?

;) The ones I got check at .3 ohms. Delish.

TRITON-316L-COILS-2.jpg

edit:
And BTW, I'm running these with 60/40 juice and no leaks, even 1/3 full on it's side overnight. :vino:

Last edited:
F

fckaugust8th

So, I just ordered a M4x0.5 metric die so when it arrives I'll make a different air "plug" for the Merlin. I really like the tank but the air flow is too loose for my liking. The Bachelor nano is better with the larger opening air plug in the available kit, now I'll have to try the other plug even though the opening looks really small. Eventually I'll find or make these suckers work! I even have an idea of "fixing" the Alleria's air flow so I can MTL, as is the Alleria is a great flavor tank IMHO, but the juice disappears in it like magic.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I never getcher tags. There's a space in me user name. ;)

On no planet is the Merlin an MTL tank IMO.

Sure use mine form MTL all day and half the night

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My working definition of MTL vaping includes the following factors:
  • Above 1 ohm resistance
  • Restricted airflow where draw can only be performed MTL and is not enough airflow to do a direct lung inhale (restricted or not)
  • A very high level of flavor
  • Large vapor production is not a factor
That is the minimum requirements. For my own personal tastes I would add single coil, cooler vape, higher nic level than 3 mg and not 100% VG.

I'm not sure everyone defines MTL the same. Any of ya'll want to weigh in on your view?

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is why I was asking, I thunk I remembered you saying that you don't wrap coils anymore. You should check out @raymo2u thread http://vapingunderground.com/threads/raymo2us-build-thread.170873/ he has some insane coils. If you ask him nicely, he will make some for your specific requirements too.
I gave away or traded the very last of my RTA/RDA sometime last year.I haven't bought an RTA/RDA since then.
The RTA I traded for a TopTank.The RDA* I gave to a friend at my local vape spot.

*Brand new Mutation X V4.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I gave away or traded the very last of my RTA/RDA sometime last year.I haven't bought an RTA/RDA since then.
The RTA I traded for a TopTank.The RDA* I gave to a friend at my local vape spot.

*Brand new Mutation X V4.

@snake94115 , have you tried the new Innokin Endura T18 or T22... I am hearing nothing but great reviews for a very simple, extremely good MTL clearomizer experience. Tank can be bought separately or with an Innokin kit:

http://vaping360.com/innokin-endura-t18-review/

https://www.fasttech.com/product/4517802

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004594/4517902-authentic-innokin-endura-t22-starter-kit

https://www.fasttech.com/product/3932302

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@snake94115 , have you tried the new Innokin Endura T18 or T22... I am hearing nothing but great reviews for a very simple, extremely good MTL clearomizer experience. Tank can be bought separately or with an Innokin kit:

http://vaping360.com/innokin-endura-t18-review/

https://www.fasttech.com/product/4517802

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004594/4517902-authentic-innokin-endura-t22-starter-kit

https://www.fasttech.com/product/3932302
It's on my short list currently. ;):)

F

fckaugust8th

I've had no experience with the protanks but based one the air flow openings and the drip tip additional air flow, I doubt it is a MTL tank the way the original was. I would like to see some opinions before I decide. Lemo 3 is another one of the MTL gone sub-ohm tanks that's neither horse, nor donkey.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've had no experience with the protanks but based one the air flow openings and the drip tip additional air flow, I doubt it is a MTL tank the way the original was. I would like to see some opinions before I decide. Lemo 3 is another one of the MTL gone sub-ohm tanks that's neither horse, nor donkey.
Thanks! I was checking and the options are few with true MTL.

So far I like the aspire plato. I'm still using the first coil. For some reason It has better flavor than the original nautilus (5mL) tank. I really like this all in one unit. If the coil ever goes bad I'm going to put a triton min coil in it.

I'm still waiting for Aspire or? to produce a better coil for the nautilus X.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The only true MTL TANKS I ever had were the Protanks and eVods. A bit more airy than those, or a tank with wide open airflow that can be turned down are ok with me. The ones that are WIDE OPEN, even with the airflow turned down, are the ones I don't much care for.

The problem, lately, it seems, I believe that places are rushing their work trying to get things out there before August, that there's no consistency in some of the newer ones. That leaves people all over the place in their opinions. Merlin for example. I'm perfectly fine with the airflow on this one, but others thoughts on that one AND the QC are kind of random. Kinda sucks, too. I happen to love the flavor of that one, fine with the airflow, but have had some QC issues, myself. The design of the tank is fantastic. Just not the QC. Goblin Mini v2. Not sure if a QC thing, or not, but that one is way too finicky IMO. It's another with great flavor and perfect type of airflow for me.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm still looking for a mtl RBA tank. So many options but I don't want to buy something just to shelve (box of shame) it.
@Huckleberried I think your right on the rushing of MTL tanks. The Nautilus X is a perfect example. It's perfect if one is looking for a less tasty option. However, with me I'm into the flavor which it lacks. I wish I could modify it or the coil to produce a more pronounced flavor.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm still looking for a mtl RBA tank. So many options but I don't want to buy something just to shelve (box of shame) it

I believe there are tried and true MTL RTAs that meet the criteria:

• Kayfun Lite Plus (a classic :))
  • SXK Squape R(s)
  • Hurricane
  • Erlkonigin (EK or Erl clone) mini or full size
  • Kayfun mini V3 Plus clone
  • Kayfun mini V3
Clones of all of these are available for very cheap.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, the 90s were cool. ;)
But what about the G-Mini v1? :xD: ...still the king! :)

All electronics industries are the same.. there is ALWAYS a pressure to have the latest and greatest (you are not the cool kid if you have an older phone... phhhtttt, it makes a freaking phone call LOL).

Great for manufacturers and sales people, not always the best for the consumer IMO... but to each his own and I'm a big supporter of capitalism :)

I sold all my G-mini V1s in favor of Squape, Hurricane and Erl.

Last edited:

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been using the hurricane for a little over 2 weeks now. It's perfect for the MTL draw but I find the flavor is hit and miss. I've got a twisted 2×28g twist SS at .47-.51 depending on when I look at it. It's good but not great...I'm trying to figure out what to put in there next. I'm thinking about going back to just plain single kanthal for a few days. Everything I read and watch says that the flavor is outstanding on it and they all built with kanthal. @ToolmanTexas when positioning your coils in it, how far do you keep the coil from the airflow or does it matter?

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been using the hurricane for a little over 2 weeks now. It's perfect for the MTL draw but I find the flavor is hit and miss. I've got a twisted 2×28g twist SS at .47-.51 depending on when I look at it. It's good but not great...I'm trying to figure out what to put in there next. I'm thinking about going back to just plain single kanthal for a few days. Everything I read and watch says that the flavor is outstanding on it and they all built with kanthal. @ToolmanTexas when positioning your coils in it, how far do you keep the coil from the airflow or does it matter?

Yeah, for me, I prefer single micro-coil, built w kanthal, 26 gauge, coming in around 1.1-1.4. Cotton wick using the "M" method.

Traditional Kayfun type coil. I've don't like dual coils, etc. The simple kanthal coil in my Hurricane, with my fave juice, gives me stellar flavor.

I've built duals, twisted and claptons a few times but I'm purposefully moderate on my vape for a few reasons, so I like sticking with the simple coil that works well in my chosen attys.

I place the coil about 1 mm over the airhole and I do believe position makes a difference.

I will say that the guy I bought one of my Hurricanes from didn't like it. I sold him my Ubertoot which I didn't like and he loves.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, for me, I prefer single micro-coil, built w kanthal, 26 gauge, coming in around 1.1-1.4. Cotton wick using the "M" method.

Traditional Kayfun type coil. I've don't like dual coils, etc. The simple kanthal coil in my Hurricane, with my fave juice, gives me stellar flavor.

I've built duals, twisted and claptons a few times but I'm purposefully moderate on my vape for a few reasons, so I like sticking with the simple coil that works well in my chosen attys.

I place the coil about 1 mm over the airhole and I do believe position makes a difference.

I will say that the guy I bought one of my Hurricanes from didn't like it. I sold him my Ubertoot which I didn't like and he loves.
I really do like it. I just have to find the perfect build for it for me. Once I find that I'll stick to it. I've been keeping it up quite a bit over the air hole. I'll try to keep it down next time. I'm also getting juice down in the afc. It's not much, I stick some tissue in the biggest holes and it clears it right up. Does this happen to you? I've found some of the edges on mine to be sharp and I'm thinking that the bottom oring on the deck may be cut slightly. I did get some seepage from the screws on the bottom before but I took it all apart, rinsed and put them back nice and tight and nothing there since but it is in the afc.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For Kayfun type devices I always put my coil about 1 mm over airhole and do think it effects throat hit and flavor.

I don't get any dry hits or leaks on my Hurricanes, one of the reasons I love them so much. But honestly there are so many variables (including human taste LOL) that it may not end up being a fave of yours. But I do think it is worth continuing to try to see if you can find a match with it.

Couple of questions:
  • Which clone did you pick up
  • Are you using the "M" wick method with cotton

VU Sponsors