Become a Patron!

Next Generation MTL tanks Part 2

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@CDroverNL, if for some reason you reach end of rope on it and still not hitting it for you I'll buy it off ya, just let me know.

F

fckaugust8th

The Bachelor nano and I are having a difference of opinions, I think it shouldn't leak and it insists the way to use up your e-juice is by leaking it all over the place:confused:

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Bachelor nano and I are having a difference of opinions, I think it shouldn't leak and it insists the way to use up your e-juice is by leaking it all over the place:confused:
Uh oh...I don't like the sound of that

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just an update on my journey.

In the last 2 weeks I have been trying the following tanks that came in vapemail:

• Gem V1
  • Kayfun mini V3 plus
  • Kayfun mini V3
  • EK (Erlkonigin) mini
  • Pico
The 2 kayfuns and the Erl are freaking astounding. The flavor on the Erl, with my fav juice (RY4 from OpenSourceVapor) is absolutely astounding... as good or better than my beloved Squape and Hurricane. Airflow can be dialed in for perfection and topfill!

The Kayfuns also are so, so good and the clones are DIRT cheap on FT.

Not having good luck with the Gem flavorwise. I haven't given up but its a fiddly tank, but I love the look of it. If the Erl is a 10 on flavor then the Gem is a 6-7.

Pico is way too fiddly and I will not be building on it. I'm going to try to Ego One coil adapter. If that is no good its' going bye bye.

That's it for now :)

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, what your telling me is that I haven't even got my Bachelor nano yet, have yet to order a squape and now there is one more i need to put on the list. That's not counting the new mod that I want to go along with the G2 that should be at home when I get back. Boy, who would have thought a forum could be so expensive!

Edit: I re read your post @ToolmanTexas and there's 2 maybe 3 more not just one that I need to add to the list!

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, what your telling me is that I haven't even got my Bachelor nano yet, have yet to order a squape and now there is one more i need to put on the list. That's not counting the new mod that I want to go along with the G2 that should be at home when I get back. Boy, who would have thought a forum could be so expensive!

Edit: I re read your post @ToolmanTexas and there's 2 maybe 3 more not just one that I need to add to the list!

IMO can't go wrong with picking up the KF3s (they are dirt cheap on FT, grab one for $10 and try it out). The Erl mini is not available anywhere that I can find so I did a trade with Dre to pick that up (found another one with another member on another forum also). The full size is still avail on FT.

F

fckaugust8th

You can still get the full size Erls on FT but minis are gone, even the short chimney is discontinued.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ohhh, it's an older tank. I thought it was new.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Keep it up, and pretty soon you'll be back to 'Boro Reds.:D

I was always a lights guy.

My journey went somewhat this path: CE4/Vivi Nova, Kayfun/drippers, Lemo, sub-ohm (subtank, Starre, TFV4) and now back to last year's MTL RTAs.

Glad I went back because Squape, Hurricane, Erl... best vape I've had and such great equipment!

Now moving on to KFV3, Calix, etc.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

My journey went somewhat this path: CE4/Vivi Nova, Kayfun/drippers, Lemo, sub-ohm (subtank, Starre, TFV4) and now back to last year's MTL RTAs.

Glad I went back because Squape, Hurricane, Erl... best vape I've had and such great equipment!

I've thought about the Calix. It seems like it could be a great tank

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Nothing wrong going old school. I've been following this, and the previous thread since I came here, and value the info and experiences that have been shared thus far.
I started with dripping 510's to Vivi nova, then to carto tanks for 4 years, so I'm learning what I missed out on.
I have 2 KFV3 mini's that landed last week.

F

fckaugust8th

For me at least, the Bachelor nano is a little ones the hit and miss side, I'll have to make some slight modifications before I will use it again. The Merlin is in the same category, it is waiting for some modifications. So far, the Pico kit with the Melo 3 mini + Atlantis 1.8 ohm coils is the MTL setup. I have a bunch of other tanks (kabuki, K3 mini, hurricane, pico) all good MTL tanks, but not always easy to fill. Looking into K3 mini plus and K5, gave up one Lemo 3. Smoking tfv4 micro is another decent MTL tank just a PITA finding coils for it- the 1.2 and 1.8 ohms ones, not the 0.XX sub-ohm type.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Boy, who would have thought a forum could be so expensive!
Try glancing around at a Car Forum or for the *truly mad* try a Stereo Forum.

*TRULY MAD = COMPLETELY INSANE...Platinum Lead Gold Wire is super expensive.Just getting up a decent Vinyl Collection will set you back a couple grand or more*

F

fckaugust8th

@Ian91,you beat me to it. If the sleeve doesn't rotate,it would be hell wicking it.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@ToolmanTexas I think I've figured it out. I kept the coil close to the air hole as you have suggested but I also kept the coil smaller in length than the diameter of the air hole. I don't know if this actually made a difference but I have a normal old plain kanthal coil in there now and it's pretty darn tasty. The next time I need to rebuild I will add a couple extra wraps to bring it out over the edges of the airhole and see if flavor drops off because of that, just to experiment.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try glancing around at a Car Forum or for the *truly mad* try a Stereo Forum.

*TRULY MAD = COMPLETELY INSANE...Platinum Lead Gold Wire is super expensive.Just getting up a decent Vinyl Collection will set you back a couple grand or more*
Oh, I kno! I was looking at building a car a couple years ago but after looking into it decided the kids could probably go to college for around the same price...lol

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Be smart and do not waste your money on this tank. Look at the build deck. Those screws in front of the wicking holes do not move. You have to wind your wick around them. I love the regular hurricane but this is just a piece of crap. That 2.9 rating is too high!!!
Oh didn't even look at the reviews.I'm wondering if I could get a Glass Tank for 1 of the other versions now.

F

fckaugust8th

I don't think there is a glass for the other hurricane, the plastic part is the one screwing onto the base.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To start off, if anyone thinks I'm way out in left field with this feel free to let me know.
Has anyone else noticed there's a difference between vaping outside versus inside? I work outdoors all night and I feel I don't get the same flavor or vapor production while I'm outside. As soon as I get back to my room in camp and take a puff the flavor and vapor come right back to life. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy? lol

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Same thing here! I've thought about it. I think it has to do with patience. I feel while I'm home I tend to take slower deeper draws.
True, I never thought about it that way.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To start off, if anyone thinks I'm way out in left field with this feel free to let me know.
Has anyone else noticed there's a difference between vaping outside versus inside? I work outdoors all night and I feel I don't get the same flavor or vapor production while I'm outside. As soon as I get back to my room in camp and take a puff the flavor and vapor come right back to life. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy? lol

I've always noticed it, and call it the relaxation effect.
Outside, you have all the worlds smells, humidity, wind and task focuses. Indoors, it's a controlled environment, and focus is shifted back to your needs, state of mind and appreciations.

F

fckaugust8th

Outside, you have all the worlds smells, humidity, wind and task focuses. Indoors, it's a controlled environment, and focus is shifted back to your needs, state of mind and appreciations.
While that is a zen perspective on vaping and the world around us, I use the MTL tanks while driving and such, I use DL tanks while walking/working outside, they provide the quick dense fix. You guys are probably right but the DL tanks make up for the difference in surroundings with an abundance of vapor.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Okay guys it's me again. I have some questions with mtl tanks. Anyone know if the kafun mini v3 or kafun 5 are the same? I'm looking for airflow similar to the nautilus tank with the largest air-hole open. Doing some research on these two Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for good clones. The kayfun 5 seems to have a larger 3.2mm (highest) adjustable airflow. I also assume it has a larger deck for me to attempt to place a coil/build a coil.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Okay guys it's me again. I have some questions with mtl tanks. Anyone know if the kafun mini v3 or kafun 5 are the same? I'm looking for airflow similar to the nautilus tank with the largest air-hole open. Doing some research on these two Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for good clones. The kayfun 5 seems to have a larger 3.2mm (highest) adjustable airflow. I also assume it has a larger deck for me to attempt to place a coil/build a coil.
I have no experience with kayfun of any sort but I do with the hurricane. That one has airflow close to the nautilus mini for sure. But can also open up to be quite loose. I highly recommend picking one up, I love mine.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I don't have the 5 but do have mini v3 clone (and a knockoff called the mini v3 plus) and they are great MTL tanks that you can close off the air on if so desired.

Also as @CDroverNL mentions, the Hurricane is outstanding and can also be shut down tight.

Here are links to inexpensive clones that are high quality (I have all of them and each has a good rating) though it's from China and will take a bit to reach you :)

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4284500

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10006473/4596400

https://www.fasttech.com/product/3718300

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Here is a great vid on how to build and wick it. You can apply these concepts to other gauge wire, other cotton/wicks, etc.

Tips:
  • Never squeeze the coil with metal tweezers while hitting the fire button. Push/heat, unpush/squeeze, repeat
  • You want the coil to glow from center to out and cool from out to center
  • Watch and read all the coil building stuff you can stand :)

F

fckaugust8th

@Artemis The difference between Kv3 mini and K5 is size, the K5 is about 4 ml and K3mini is about 2 ml give or take. The hurricane is definitely a good MTL rta, the Bachelor nano could be but it is a bit on the loose side. The Merlin is a very nice tank but unless you like a very loose MTL, not even close to kayfun style draw. I have 2 Kv3 minis, nice little tanks with nice little decks. I couldn't comment on the K5 yet, it is on the way.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The K3 mini plus clone I linked above has a 3.5 ml capacity and same deck and vapes exactly like the normal mini. It is a bit wide at 24 mm but still looks nice on the right mod (Provari stealth P3 below):

IMG_20160604_075850.jpg

F

fckaugust8th

I've heard v5 has too much air and can't be dialed down enough but I haven't watched a lot of reviews yet and not sure how accurate that is.
Good enough for me!:vino: Back to FT site, cancel the K5 and order the K3 mini plus along with the Aromamizer Supreme 4 ml .:gaah:

F

fckaugust8th

@ToolmanTexas , one more question, does the top from the Kv3 mini fit on the mini plus? I see comments that the mini plus top doesn't have the air release flat spots.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When I first began using them I was getting dry hits. 2 things I learned and now not a single dry hit:

• I don't let the cotton come in contact with the deck. I run a safety pin along the bottom after wicking and make sure it has that much clearance
  • Open the juice flow ctrl up appropriate for your liquid. At first I only went a turn to a turn and 1/2. Now 2 is bare minimum and more often 2.5-3 full turns.
Now they are vaping like magic :)

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@ToolmanTexas , one more question, does the top from the Kv3 mini fit on the mini plus? I see comments that the mini plus top doesn't have the air release flat spots.
No, it won't fit as the plus is 24 mm and mini is 19.

That said, I have had zero issues with the plus and for the coin it costs I'm getting a couple more :)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have no experience with kayfun of any sort but I do with the hurricane. That one has airflow close to the nautilus mini for sure. But can also open up to be quite loose. I highly recommend picking one up, I love mine.
Any U.S sellers? I'm starting research related to your suggestion. :)I'm looking for single coil to start out with.
Edit: forgot about ebay. Tons of stuff. They do have the hurricane 2 which seems okay. At least it appears to have glass.

OMG I never considered ebay but they have tons of rtas. I'll have to sift thru the listings.Looks like I can't post ebay stuff. Crap!

Last edited:

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't have the 5 but do have mini v3 clone (and a knockoff called the mini v3 plus) and they are great MTL tanks that you can close off the air on if so desired.

Also as @CDroverNL mentions, the Hurricane is outstanding and can also be shut down tight.

Here are links to inexpensive clones that are high quality (I have all of them and each has a good rating) though it's from China and will take a bit to reach you :)

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4284500

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10006473/4596400

https://www.fasttech.com/product/3718300
I'll probably do a sample order soon. They still make PC tanks?

F

fckaugust8th

@Artemis, do yourself a favor and pick up a kayfun mini v3. I just put a 2mm ID 28g kanthal 9 wraps and wicked with Japanese cotton exactly like in the video above. At 1.47 ohms, 11.2w and 400 degree F TC, I'm starting to like it again. Not as much vapor and flavor as the Alleria, but that's the old apples and oranges comparison. Now I have ordered 2 of the mini plus versions but it will be a while before I can write about them.

VU Sponsors