Become a Patron!

Ni80 vs SS

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My personal preference is for a good SS 316 coil. I think the flavor is cleaner and they tend to last longer. I've also noticed that the SS coil is more versatile, SS works well for both TC and Watt mode, while Ni coils I've tried were fine in TC but pretty much lacking in power mode. Just my observations.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Title: Ni80 vs SS

<smartarse mode>

Did you mean pure Nickel (typically Ni200) or Nichrome (NiCr80, often wrongly labelled as Ni80)?
</smartarse mode>

I prefer SS over Ni200 for TC, and NiCr80 over everything else for Wattage mode.

aHussyNamedTron

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Title: Ni80 vs SS

<smartarse mode>

Did you mean pure Nickel (typically Ni200) or Nichrome (NiCr80, often wrongly labelled as Ni80)?
</smartarse mode>

I prefer SS over Ni200 for TC, and NiCr80 over everything else for Wattage mode.

Can you explain why?

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Can you explain why?

Sure. I typically build round wire spaced MTL. So around 1 Ohm give or take. NiCr80 28GA is 6 wraps at 3mm ID, which fits perfectly over the air inlets on the Ares or Siren 2. With Kenthal I'd have to go shorter, smaller ID or thicker wire, or most of the air blows right into the wick :) With SS I'd have to go thinner wire (super flimsy) or more wraps. Just found NiCr80 to work best for me in my preferred tanks. On the squonker it's a bit different. I've usually got an Origen Little on there these days, and 5 wraps 2.5mm ID work best there (Kenthal 28GA, but that's outside of the scope of the question).

For TC, which I hardly ever use, I prefer SS because I can use it in Wattage as well, if I choose to. Plus, I find it easier to work with. Ni200's extremely low resistance just calls for too many wraps or too thin wire.

VU Sponsors