Become a Patron!

Nic juices: interesting turn of event in Belgium

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here in Belgium, e-liquids containing nicotine are not allowed. Or are they?

An area tobacconist in my town had decided a few months ago to get into the e-cig business, and sell nic juices - I used to get my juices there. And then one day, 5-0 stormed his shop, seized all his stock, and he got a huge-ass fine. At the time, I thought "hmm, surprise surprise..."

Well, the biggest surprise was yet to come: our good tobacconist has challenged the seizure at the European Court of Justice, on the grounds that the Belgian zero-nic rules haven't been voted in parliament yet, that the Belgian authorities are jumping the gun, and until the rules are voted, the 20 mg limit in the EU directive applies to Belgium by default.

And he's won! He's gotten his stock back, and he's happily selling his nic juices again in his shop. Good man :)

Our local vaping community is abuzz with the news. That's bound to set an interesting precedent: other shops may start to realize they can in fact sell nic juices legally in Belgium, instead of blindly doing like everybody else and selling only zero-nic juices while telling customers hush-hush where to get the real deal. This may well revive the fledgling Belgian vaping market. But it might also dry up the lucrative business of B&Ms selling nic juices in neighboring countries, right at the border.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out...

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Great to hear that he won and good on him for standing his ground!

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good for him, good for you and good for all Belgian vapers!! I hope Parliament has some sense of rationality over this in the end.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I believe it is all about who is paying who off in parliament and in the local 5-0.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
5-0 is rather placid about the whole thing. In fact, they're rather placid about many things here. It's a quiet little football field of a country, this. They were probably instructed to go and assist in the seizure of the guy's products - following orders, is all.

As for lawmakers, I believe it's more a case of people knowing nothing of the issue, believing that a blanket ban is good because, ya know, the populace can't really think for itself.

I'm sure there's lobbying and corruption involved at some level or other, but I don't think it's anywhere near as intense as in the US.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Congrats!

I can see this happening if they mess with it again.... ;-)

giphy.gif

VU Sponsors