Become a Patron!

nic strength and coil size help?

Hello all. 49 year old male, smoker for the last 35 years -- and do not want to add one more single day to the years of smoking total. But I"m having somewhat of a difficult time getting started and was hoping the good people of this site could help me out with some questions I have regarding vaping.

Timeline:

Tried an ecig setup 4 years ago and couldn't use it the experience was so bad.
Question 1: has the technology changed for the better in the last 4 years with with ecigs? Or are these mostly obsolete now?

2 months ago bought a kangertech subvod kit with a toptank nano.
Question 2: The woman in the vape shop convinced me all I would in nic strength would be 6mg with this kangertech. I think I will need at least 12mg or most probably 18mg at leat initially. Can this small kangertech handle 12 or 18mg in nic without being extremely harsh? What coil would I use for 12 or 18? Also, can this be setup for MTL? Or is it strictly a DTL device?
I coughed my lungs out when first trying this kangertech.

2 weeks ago I ordered an innokkin smartbox with an isub V tank.

Question 3: Coughed my lungs out again when I first tried this a week ago. 6mg in nic strength. 50/50 vg/pg ratio. Would it be better to start out at a 60/40 vg/pg ratio to not cough so much? 70/30 vg/pg ratio? I have not tried to set this up in a MTL style yet because I wasn't sure of the setup. What would it be? The KAN 2.0 coil? Bought five of the 2.0 with the unit. (even though it came with two 0.5 and one 1.2 ohm coils, for some reason I can't find any 1.2ohm replacement coils for this. Only 2.0 ohm) And airflow cut almost all the way down? And then use 12 or 18 nic with no problem correct? And hopefully not cough my lungs out anymore?

Any helpful answers you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU

I vape 18mg at 1.5-2.0, 12mg at .8-1.4, and 6mg at .5-.75. The amount of vapor increases as you go down in ohms, so the nic amount exposure increase with it , so you tone it down to not OD. PG, along with nic amount contributes to throat hit, so adding VG ratio will smooth it out.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hello all. 49 year old male, smoker for the last 35 years -- and do not want to add one more single day to the years of smoking total. But I"m having somewhat of a difficult time getting started and was hoping the good people of this site could help me out with some questions I have regarding vaping.

Timeline:

Tried an ecig setup 4 years ago and couldn't use it the experience was so bad.
Question 1: has the technology changed for the better in the last 4 years with with ecigs? Or are these mostly obsolete now?

2 months ago bought a kangertech subvod kit with a toptank nano.
Question 2: The woman in the vape shop convinced me all I would in nic strength would be 6mg with this kangertech. I think I will need at least 12mg or most probably 18mg at leat initially. Can this small kangertech handle 12 or 18mg in nic without being extremely harsh? What coil would I use for 12 or 18? Also, can this be setup for MTL? Or is it strictly a DTL device?
I coughed my lungs out when first trying this kangertech.

2 weeks ago I ordered an innokkin smartbox with an isub V tank.

Question 3: Coughed my lungs out again when I first tried this a week ago. 6mg in nic strength. 50/50 vg/pg ratio. Would it be better to start out at a 60/40 vg/pg ratio to not cough so much? 70/30 vg/pg ratio? I have not tried to set this up in a MTL style yet because I wasn't sure of the setup. What would it be? The KAN 2.0 coil? Bought five of the 2.0 with the unit. (even though it came with two 0.5 and one 1.2 ohm coils, for some reason I can't find any 1.2ohm replacement coils for this. Only 2.0 ohm) And airflow cut almost all the way down? And then use 12 or 18 nic with no problem correct? And hopefully not cough my lungs out anymore?

Any helpful answers you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.
Ok for quitting smoking, you want mouth to lung. So higher resistance coil (say 1.5 to 0.8 ohm) Low power (wattage) and smaller mouth piece, so you have to suck on your vape like you would on a cigarette. Try 12mg with that set up. If you still cough a lot, try 70/30 or 80/20 VG/PG ratio. PG is harsher than VG. Also, it is going to take a few days to get used to the vapor, just like it did to get used to the smoke when you first started.
Toptank nano is a decent M2L tank. I prefer the mini though, due to the rebuildable RBA mini. (I make my own coils..for about 10 cents each)
I would try 12mg rather than 18. The 18 is better for low wattage mods such as an e-cig or pen style where you are limited to 6 to 20 watts or less.
Try vaping your nano at 20 to 23 watts and adjust from there. Keep it under 28-30 though or you risk burning your coil. Also, start at low wattage and work your way up until you find where you like it.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They sold you the wrong device. Get an aspire nautilus or nautilus mini and 18mg juice. Perfect mouth to lung setup for a smoker trying to make the switch. I promise. Ignore anything else you hear.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
They sold you the wrong device. Get an aspire nautilus or nautilus mini and 18mg juice. Perfect mouth to lung setup for a smoker trying to make the switch. I promise. Ignore anything else you hear.
53 year old male here, smoked for 22 years, never used a nautilus or mini. Started with a vplum and kanger toptank mini and haven't had a cig in 8 1/2 months. Hard to ignore that.

Just saying, there are lots of options that work, and lots of set up options. There is no be all and end all as far as atomizers and mods go.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Other stuff might work, but I've never met a smoker that was committed to switching to vaping that wasn't happy with a nautilus. It's been out longer than anything else mentioned here and probably has the highest success rate of any comparable device. Why gamble on something else?

Buy a nautilus. It'll work. While you're enjoying it, you can start the search for something else if you like.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Other stuff might work, but I've never met a smoker that was committed to switching to vaping that wasn't happy with a nautilus. It's been out longer than anything else mentioned here and probably has the highest success rate of any comparable device. Why gamble on something else?

Buy a nautilus. It'll work. While you're enjoying it, you can start the search for something else if you like.

Yeah, I heard they are a good brand. I was just saying, why buy something new, if what you have can be set up to work. For example, you wouldn't think of a Drip atomizer as a M2L device, but you can set one up for M2L pretty easily. Best thing about this forum, no matter what you have, someone is going to know how to help you get it set up the way you like it.

VU Sponsors