Become a Patron!

nichrome 80 hard to build with

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just picked up 25 feet of nichrome 80 clapton it is 2 twisted 24 gauge wrapped with 32 gauge nichrome. now heres my problem im using it to build for a lipo box so im using alot of wraps 9 to be exact and i havnt figured out a way to dry burn it easily because its so much wire and heat. my rx200s which is what i do my builds on just keeps overheating and giving a warning. and if i put the build on the lipo box before its completely done both my lipos pwm screams much louder than normal. once i finally get them burning evenly i wick nd juice it up and it runs fine on both my lipos flavor is amazing. i just wish there was an easier way to dry burn because it takes like an hour or more to do since i gotta let the rx cool off then i dry burn again and have to let it cool off again and so on. is there an easier way to do this since i love the flavor. thanks

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dude... TOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

too much what wrapps? remember this is goin on a lipo and running at around 500 watts
and i like to keep my builds above .2 and 9 wrapps comes in at .23

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisted 24g? With a 32g wrap?
I'd ditch it.
Imo it's better to use round wire till you can learn to build. The vast majority of premade stuff is either bad of just ok compared to the hand made stuff.
A 100' spool of 28 and 26g plus 1000' of 38g is like $20 or so and there is alot you can do with it.

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisted 24g? With a 32g wrap?
I'd ditch it.
Imo it's better to use round wire till you can learn to build. The vast majority of premade stuff is either bad of just ok compared to the hand made stuff.
A 100' spool of 28 and 26g plus 1000' of 38g is like $20 or so and there is alot you can do with it.
yes twisted 24 with 32 wrap

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Twisted core fused claptons take forever to ramp up and tax your batteries/device. So does a heavy 32g wrap. Fused claptons (with a 36g or smaller wrap) would run much more efficiently and vape much better.

Where do you get 500w? And how can you even vape 500w? This has to be a typo of some sort.

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisted core fused claptons take forever to ramp up and tax your batteries/device. So does a heavy 32g wrap. Fused claptons (with a 36g or smaller wrap) would run much more efficiently and vape much better.

Where do you get 500w? And how can you even vape 500w? This has to be a typo of some sort.
nope it wasnt a typo its a 4s lipo i usually vape a .17 ohm fused clapton with the potentiometer set at 30 and it comes in at 498 watts i never thought id like it that high but i love it. ive gone up to 830 watts but that was just plain to hot and uncomfortable

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
right now im vaping at around 282 watts i have a .5 ohm coil in and the potentiometer set at 50 percent i figure out the wattage by pluging 16.8 and my resistance which is .5 into an ohms law calculator that gives 564 watts. since the potentiometer is set at 50 i take 50 percent of 564 and that gives me the 282 watts im vaping at now. but 500 watts with the right coil and alot of wrapps really isnt all that uncomfortable. i like a warm vape as you can tell lol

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I was certain when I plugged in #'s to ohms law calculator you would be way out of the safe zone. But looks legit to me.

You must fog up the entire neighborhood! Do you have a 90mm rda on that beast?

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I was certain when I plugged in #'s to ohms law calculator you would be way out of the safe zone. But looks legit to me.

im in the safe zone this 4s lipo if i can recall correctly has a 99 amp continuous discharge it doesnt even get warm

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

i have a 30mm buddha and an alliance v2 both 30mm some times i use my modfather rta but on a low setting like around 250 watts

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
anybody have some links to some good clapton that might be better than what im using?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have not seen commercially available, mass produced coils that are not either:
Wrapped with too heavy a wrapping wire
Twisted cores
Or a combination of the 2.

Fused claptons are really not super difficult to make. Takes some practice, but well worth it.

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Toadman! Although if you (mokeife) need help with your building skills, I'll try my best to assist in any way I can.
i would greatly appreciate some help in building claptons i tried it once nothing fancy just a drill and 24 core and 26 wrap and it was a disaster the core wire kept twisting and retaining a spring which made things impossible i like the idea of using fishing swivels to keep the tension and keep things spinning evenly saw it on youtube

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you have that much amperage 16ply and 20 ply ssfcs are the way to go. Both of which will fit in a 24mm goon lp.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
and 24 core and 26 wrap
That was part of your problem - try either of those as the CORE wire, and wrap with either 34 or 38 gauge. HUGE difference.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just made my first fused claptons. 2 26/36. I tried a triple core freehand first and it twisted something awful. Second attempt was dual core 26/36 using 3 ball-bearing swivels. Once I stopped checking the progress and just let 'er rip, I had 2' of damn fine homemade clapton.

As the saying goes: "Ain't nothin' to it but to do it".

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats gotta be a typo.
The harder you pull on the drill and spool the more twist you'll get. Just lightly hold the spool perpendicular to the wrap. After a few times you'll get it down.

morfius1963

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just spun this up 24 gauge canthal dual core. with mad rabbit 32 gauge nichrome 90. Six wrap came out to .14 and has awesome flavor
f6014bb31f86d2b0e5d978cc0ce06c11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Didn't Mooch just test lipo packs and found them to be grossly overrated?

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Didn't Mooch just test lipo packs and found them to be grossly overrated?
yeah i saw that too but he didnt list the pack i have the turnigy nano tech but my cells dont even get warm i tested them up to 830 watts and they werent even warm but the vape was too hot for my taste and i like a hot vape i also dont take long pulls at that kind of wattage and the pwm pulses so shouldnt you be going by the pulsed amp rating?

VU Sponsors