Become a Patron!

Nichrome coil meltdown

krashman71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I did a dual coil build with 22 gauge nichrome 5/6 wrap. Checked with ohm meter (0.15). When I fired it up to adjust the coils, the coils deformed and melted off of the posts onto the deck. What did I do wrong?

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking that You fired it for too long. And too long can be just a matter of a second or two with a coil that hot.
I've done the same thing but with 30g twisted kanthal. Fired it for about 2 seconds maybe and, bloop, melted right off the posts. It was a good learning experience for me.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have never heard of that happening.

What kind of device was delivering the power to the coils?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think nichrome heats up faster. Or at least the same wraps compared to kanthal will give a lower ohm. I only use kanthal. I used to use nichrome and it's the only time coils have ever popped on me.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's the nichrome. I pulse kanthal a lot when adjusting new coils and cleaning old ones. The nichrome won't take half of what kanthal can take before turning to slag.

krashman71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This was my first experience with nichrome. I guess I'll try again and not be so heavy on the switch. Thanks.

Reactions: Ace

krashman71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Will kanthal hold up better to longer hits?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yup,

The Nichrome just was not up to the task or the power of your Sony powered mech.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I screwed up when I ordered. Just wanted 22g and didn't realize it was nichrome. Won't happen again.
It's very thick though isn't it, 22g ? It must've been very hot! What about trying twisting a couple of strands? See how that goes

krashman71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's very thick though isn't it, 22g ? It must've been very hot! What about trying twisting a couple of strands? See how that goes
Twisting the 22G or smaller wire?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm figuring with more wraps and a thicker wire it'll be harder to melt. Tbh idk. It was just a thought

krashman71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I thought it would create a lower resistance resulting in even more heat.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought it would create a lower resistance resulting in even more heat.
That is right. Two 28 wrapped would be a thick ass coil imo. If it was me I would just stick with a single strand and bring your ohms up a bit.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if you do as many wraps as you did, it would theoretically halve them. So you would do more wraps to up the ohms

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But if the original build is what you're wanting then stick with what you did. Just don't fire it for so long. You don't have to make the coils glow you just have to make them hot in order to manipulate them.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok. I'll experiment tonight and see what happens. I will post my results.
Yes please do. I'd like to know what you end up doing or what works. When I began vaping a couple of yrs ago the vendor I regularly used only sold nichrome and I didn't know any better and had a lot of issues with it. Was very springy stuff too. Then about two months ago I unintentionally made a coil with it in a kayfun mini.. and it popped after a day. And that wasn't even a sub ohm. (actually what happened was I accidentally dribbled down the driptip as I do sometimes lol and it killed the coil)

I did a dual coil build with 22 gauge nichrome 5/6 wrap. Checked with ohm meter (0.15). When I fired it up to adjust the coils, the coils deformed and melted off of the posts onto the deck. What did I do wrong?
22gauge 7-8 wraps @30 Watts is prime I just used a medium size screwdriver to wrap and single coil 1.5ohms great flavor and cool vape, careful at 40-50 watts if burning off juice it will ignite had to blow out the wick

I'm thinking that You fired it for too long. And too long can be just a matter of a second or two with a coil that hot.
I've done the same thing but with 30g twisted kanthal. Fired it for about 2 seconds maybe and, bloop, melted right off the posts. It was a good learning experience for me.

I've never had that happen or heard of it until running across this forum. Very interesting. I'm stuck on single 18650 devices however. The "not so trusty" Nemesis (now I understand why the name. Spot on! Lol), an eleaf 40watt TC & ever trusty (& I mean it...) ipv d2. Had my beautiful blue shiny YiHi SX Mini ML C Class taken with a brand new Royal Hunter after getting the RDA the day before. Anyway, sticking to topic, I think I'll give it a shot. Melting a coils legs off. Ha, sounds interesting! Anyone know anyway I can build a dual coil setup, any size, any # out coils, diameter, etc. out of .22 gauge nichrome? I bought 100ft. roll before I even knew the gauge rules or much about dripping. I believe I'd started buying 100ft in every gauge & only had an igo-w by UD. Obviously I'm stuck in old school mode, although that's GREATLY evolved! Anything with the nichrome? Maybe use on temp control mode on the ipv d2? Help a chick out. ;-)

VU Sponsors