Become a Patron!

Nichrome n80 coils reading ohms to low

Chicoco1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi i just put quad coils nichrome n80 6 wraps each in my 454 big block rda and i cant get them to work, in my epitite dna 60 it fires for a sec or 2 and then says ohms to low, and the in my kaos spectrum it wont fire at all it just says low resistance, on my ohm reader it says 0.04 and the wont fire at all either, pls help im pretty new to building my own coils, i have 2 454 big blocks and the other has ss 316 fused claptons and works fine i just cant figure out what the problem is. Thanks for any and all helpbin advance

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Anyone vaping below 0.1 ohm coils goes on my list of Darwin Award candidates... there is simply no good reason to and plenty reasons not to.

Chicoco1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The only problem is with 4 coils i cant really add too many more wraps, i can try i guess i wont hurt, but its gonna be super tight in there

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The only problem is with 4 coils i cant really add too many more wraps, i can try i guess i wont hurt, but its gonna be super tight in there
use 2 coils with 12 wraps each. it'll be the same as using 4 at 6 wraps each but give you double the resistance. also .04 sounds like a short. using 6 wrap quad coil ni80 should be around .13 to .16 depending on gauge. to me it sounds like a short somewhere

Anyone vaping below 0.1 ohm coils goes on my list of Darwin Award candidates... there is simply no good reason to and plenty reasons not to.
while it's true there is no need especially on a regulated mod, it's not unsafe at all on a regulated mod. it will however hamper the mods ability to put out wattage as it'll hit the amp limit at fairly low watts

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
use 2 coils with 12 wraps each. it'll be the same as using 4 at 6 wraps each but give you double the resistance. also .04 sounds like a short. using 6 wrap quad coil ni80 should be around .13 to .16 depending on gauge. to me it sounds like a short somewhere

while it's true there is no need especially on a regulated mod, it's not unsafe at all on a regulated mod. it will however hamper the mods ability to put out wattage as it'll hit the amp limit at fairly low watts
It's unsafer than a coil over 0.1 ohm since you're pushing more output current for the same wattage, and I get to read plenty about mod failures. Folks can go count on Chinese design and quality and push the limits if they want but that's Darwin territory for sure. And there's simply no need, your not going to get any more flavor, and you should be able to get all the clouds you want at at 0.1 and higher. Many mods are limited to 0.1 ohms and higher.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's unsafer than a coil over 0.1 ohm since you're pushing more output current for the same wattage, and I get to read plenty about mod failures. Folks can go count on Chinese design and quality and push the limits if they want but that's Darwin territory for sure. And there's simply no need, your not going to get any more flavor, and you should be able to get all the clouds you want at at 0.1 and higher. Many mods are limited to 0.1 ohms and higher.
not in regulated mods. battery draw is the same at say 50 watts regardless if the coil is .1 or .5. resistance doesn't play a factor in battery draw on regulated mods. only the watt settings, the charge of the batteries, and the efficiency of the chip

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
not in regulated mods. only in mechs/unregulated mods

You are wrong if you build below .1Ω 90% of regulated MODs will not fire for one thing and second the lower resistance requires more watts which in turn requires more power. I would say that is an important factor to consider. Saying resistance does not factor in is going to get someone hurt or damage their device.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You are wrong if you build below .1Ω 90% of regulated MODs will not fire for one thing and second the lower resistance requires more watts which in turn requires more power. I would say that is an important factor to consider. Saying resistance does not factor in is going to get someone hurt or damage their device.
No I'm not dude. yes some have a resistance limit but that's due to the chip. nothing to do with battery amp draw. some mods fire as low as .000001 on a single battery (hohmslice) DNA's will fire at .05 ohm, the G2 at .007 ohms etc etc. many mods have a .05 fire limit. But again that has to do with the chip and is unrelated to the batteries amp draw.

So no resistance doesn't matter for the battery safety in regulated mods. It's technically safer to fire a .1 ohm build at 40 watts in one then it is to fire a .6 ohm build at 60 watts. I suggest doing some research into it before saying I'm wrong as you are probably confusing the OP which is not good.

and again this is for REGULATED mods for unregulated and mechs since it's drawn directly form the batteries, resistance plays a huge factor in safety. but we aren't talking about those

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You said resistance plays no factor so you lost any respect I might have had for your opinion. Please do not quote me because I am not going to debate this with you at all . The OP is not talking about mechanical's.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You said resistance plays no factor so you lost any respect I might have had for your opinion. Please do not quote me because I am not going to debate this with you at all . The OP is not talking about mechanical's.
it does play 0 factor in battery amp draw for regulated mods. that statement is 100% true. but please be ignorant and leave the thread if you choose not to learn.

battery amp draw formula in regulated mods is watts/input voltage/efficiency
so say 50 watts with batteries at 3.7 volts (single battery mod) and a 90% efficient board would be 15 amps on the battery regardless of the resistance

If you were willing to listen you would know that by now. as someone who has been here for a year plus been on ECF prior to that and has over 6k messages I'm shocked you don't know this already, but then again your attitude explains why

but by all means humor me and tell em why you think resistance plays a factor, of course you can't cause it doesn't so you'll play the "i'm not responding game"

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear either stop quoting me or I will use the ignore option on you. You say resistance is futile and we are done here.

View attachment 88136
then throw me on ignore. you just so super mature refusing to learn and giving people bad information. your profile says 55 but you act like a teeenager

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No little boy you need to learn to admit when you are wrong. Resistance plays a factor in all aspects of vaping. Just trying to say it has no bearing is stupid and ignorant.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
No little boy you need to learn to admit when you are wrong. Resistance plays a factor in all aspects of vaping. Just trying to say it has no bearing is stupid and ignorant.
again show me where it's wrong. i gave you the formula, lets see your formula on how resistance affects battery amp draw in regulated mods. I'm not holding my breath as it doesn't exist.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are really dense I never said anything except resistance is not a NON FACTOR. I never talked about amp draw only you are assuming whatever the fuck it is you are assuming. Ignoring you now.........................

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You are really dense I never said anything except resistance is not a NON FACTOR. I never talked about amp draw only you are assuming whatever the fuck it is you are assuming. Ignoring you now.........................
my exact statement
resistance doesn't matter for the battery safety in regulated mods.
that is 100% true and i provided the formula for it as well on how to calculate. so again show me where that statement is incorrect, or did you fly off the handle after reading it wrong?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
you also said
lower resistance requires more watts

that's not correct as a blanket statement. for instance i have a dual coil .18 ohm that requires almost double the watts of a single coil .14 ohm build i have. it's mass that decides watts needed. not resistance.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
not in regulated mods. battery draw is the same at say 50 watts regardless if the coil is .1 or .5. resistance doesn't play a factor in battery draw on regulated mods. only the watt settings, the charge of the batteries, and the efficiency of the chip
I said output current, that's the current to the coil not the input current from the battery. And that does change with resistance at the same power levels. P=Isquared x R, I = Sqrt (P/R). I'm open to learning new things but pretty sure as an electrical and control systems engineer I understand the basics of regulated mods.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I said output current, that's the current to the coil not the input current from the battery. And that does change with resistance at the same power levels. P=Isquared x R, I = Sqrt (P/R). I'm open to learning new things but pretty sure as an electrical and control systems engineer I understand the basics of regulated mods.
yes resistance changes output current but that's still dependent on your watt setting. all chips are way throttled down on output amperage. even tiny little PWM chips can output over 60 amps. personally I've output as much as 50 amps on chips with never any issue. at .1 you'll be hitting the amp limit anyway and not getting the full wattage on most mods. In other words not dangerous. even if you fry the chip (which has never happened in the history of vaping a chip frying due to low resistance) it'll just die. The only safety issue is the amp draw of batteries so they don't start thermal runway. no reason to scare people or give FDA ammo on stuff that just isn't going to happen. one of the bets coil builders out there raymo (who is on this site as well BTW) regularly has builds to show off well below .1 and he uses a G2 (since it fires down to .007) to pulse his builds to bring out the colors for his pictures. I'm not doubting your knowledge, I'm just saying safety wise resistance doesn't play a factor on regulated mods and that statement is completely true. but as i said before building crazy low is pretty unnecessary as well unless your a coil builder. for people just vaping no reason to build that low, not because it's unsafe but because it actually hampers the mods anyway. best performance on most dual battery mods is between .14 and .2 anything higher and volt limits start kicking in and anything lower and amp limits start kicking it

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
yes resistance changes output current but that's still dependent on your watt setting. all chips are way throttled down on output amperage. even tiny little PWM chips can output over 60 amps. personally I've output as much as 50 amps on chips with never any issue. at .1 you'll be hitting the amp limit anyway and not getting the full wattage on most mods. In other words not dangerous. even if you fry the chip (which has never happened in the history of vaping a chip frying due to low resistance) it'll just die. The only safety issue is the amp draw of batteries so they don't start thermal runway. no reason to scare people or give FDA ammo on stuff that just isn't going to happen. one of the bets coil builders out there raymo (who is on this site as well BTW) regularly has builds to show off well below .1 and he uses a G2 (since it fires down to .007) to pulse his builds to bring out the colors for his pictures. I'm not doubting your knowledge, I'm just saying safety wise resistance doesn't play a factor on regulated mods and that statement is completely true. but as i said before building crazy low is pretty unnecessary as well unless your a coil builder. for people just vaping no reason to build that low, not because it's unsafe but because it actually hampers the mods anyway. best performance on most dual battery mods is between .14 and .2 anything higher and volt limits start kicking in and anything lower and amp limits start kicking it
P in the formulas I provided is the Power setting in units of Watts. I stated for output current, "that does change with resistance at the same power", my point being at the same power setting if you change resistance, the output current to the coil changes.
The Sigelei Kaos Spectrum has a maximum output current specified as 35 Amps, so I would be careful telling folks chips can handle 50 or 60 amps, its going to be mod specific. I think the best advice to give folks is to always stay above the minimum resistance specified for their specific regulated mod.

I don't have the history of vaping behind me, but I do have some engineering books and references, the more you stress any power transistor (MOSFETs included) the increased potential for failure. One of the failure mechanisms for MOSFETs (and other power semiconductors) is high current.
http://www.4qd.co.uk/docs/mosfet-failure-mechanisms/
Staying above the specified minimum resistance of your regulated mod, and better yet, providing margin (not going near the limit) is just smart.

I believe you are good on your formula for regulated mod battery current, however I use 0.85 as the efficiency, I did use 0.9 until I saw someone use 0.85, I checked around, found a mod that was around 0.85, so I learned something there, 0.85 is more conservative. That efficiency value is running the mod near its max power, lower power the efficiency drops even lower (but not a safety concern since not at max power/current, etc).

Good talk :)

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Vaping at .1Ω with SS316L will result in it going below the MOD safety threshold when it gets hot and it not firing from protection. Which will result in a thread why does my Blah Blah Blah not work????

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
P in the formulas I provided is the Power setting in units of Watts. I stated for current, "that does change with resistance at the same power", my point being at the same power setting if you change resistance, the output current to the coil changes.
The Sigelei Kaos Spectrum has a maximum output current specified as 35 Amps, so I would be careful telling folks chips can handle 50 or 60 amps, its going to be mod specific. I think the best advice to give folks is to always stay above the minimum resistance setting for their specific regulated mod.

I don't have the history of vaping behind me, but I do have some engineering books and references, the more you stress any power transistor (MOSFETs included) the increased potential for failure. One of the failure mechanisms for MOSFETs (and other power semiconductors) is high current.
http://www.4qd.co.uk/docs/mosfet-failure-mechanisms/
Staying abive the specified minimum resistance of your regulated mod, and better yet, providing margin (not going near the limit) is just smart.

I believe you are good on your formula for regulated mod battery current, however I use 0.85 as the efficiency, I did use 0.9 until I saw someone use 0.85, check around, found a mod that was around 0.85, so I learned something there. That efficiency value is running the mod near its max power, lower power the efficiency drops even lower (but not a safety concern since not at max power/current, etc).

Good talk :)
I understand your point, i really do but as someone who has tested these mods and pushed them to the limit the last thing anyone needs to worry about is the output amps of the chip itself. If anyone in the world was gonna fry a chip from too much amps, it would be me with the stress i put them through. For the kaos that is a mod i tested. it maxed out at 37 amps. that means with a .1 coil the most watts you can get is about 137. now with a .15 coil you can put out about 205 watts so statically speaking the lower resistance is safer on the batteries. if someone wanted to turn it all the way up at a .1 ohm build the most draw from the batts would be about (using nominal voltage and 90% efficiency) 20.5 amps which is fine for 20 amp batteries like a samsung 30Q (mooch gives headroom) meanwhile with a .15 ohm coil with the watts turned all the way up it can do 205 which is almost 31 amps and pushing it into "unsafe" territory for the batteries we use. so statistically speaking a .1 ohm resistance or less on a regulated mod is safer on the batteries then a .15 if someone was really going to turn it all the way up. which obviously isn't realistic. I don't know many people vaping at 200+ watts regularly

as far as staying above the minimum, it's pretty obvious since the mod won't fire if it's below the limit anyway. and as i said earlier there is no point to build super low on a regulated mod. resistance doesn't play a factor in your vape. it's surface area (or mass) and wattage setting and the atomizer airflow and chamber size etc. My only point was building a regulated mod to the limit isn't unsafe which is true. the only thing to worry about is your batteries and your watt setting. The kaos for example i got 218 watts out of it during testing. and since i only use batteries charged above 4.0 (when they dip below 4.0 i swap them out for a fresh pair) so i was pulling 30.2 amps. but i use HB6 batteries to test mods that go that high which are 30 amp batteries. and i always monitor battery heat. Of course output is mod specific. a lot of the joyetech ones claim 50 amps but they don't i've tested a fe and they are between 35-40 like most regulated mods are with dual batteries.

As far as blowing the chip, it's highly unlikely. most chips can handle way above the amp limit. hell big als PWM chip has 180a limit but he recommends to stay under 60. that's 1/3rd of what it can handle. realistically speaking you'll melt your wire far before you blow the chip. most of the wiring in mods isn't suited to handle as many amps as the chips themselves but again i stress out every mod and have yet to have any issue. If i feel a mod getting way too hot i'll fail it (look at my warlock Z box review) I deemed it unsafe and even then it protected itself (albiet not soon enough IMO hence the fail) and shut itself down.

as far as efficiency goes, i know mods list a number (and yes some like the DNA75 are 85%) and some like the DNA250 are 96% but efficiency isn't a stable number. it actually changes depending on load. and who knows if manufacturers use peak or average? IN the same sense, mooch has headroom built into his ratings they aren't drop dead numbers. While i don't recommend it to people cause i too like to err on the side of safety, putting 21-22 amps thought a 20 amp battery (as rated by mooch) is fine in reality. hell samsung rates the 30Q at 15 amps, mooch rates them at 20. it all depends on your knowledge and comfort level.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
For the kaos that is a mod i tested. it maxed out at 37 amps. that means with a .1 coil the most watts you can get is about 137. now with a .15 coil you can put out about 205 watts so statically speaking the lower resistance is safer on the batteries.
You sure type a lot of words Richard, but this one is worth taking on :)
This is nonsense. A 0.1 ohm coil on that mod is never going to be safer than a 0.15 ohm coil, at the same power level, since you're going to draw more output current with the 0.1 ohm coil than a 0.15 ohm coil. Now you can make the argument that vaping at lower power is safer than higher power on the same coil (same resistance), and I can agree with you, but don't try to claim a higher resistance is less safe than a low resistance on a mod! I'm curious about your test though, when you say it "maxed out at 37 amps" on your 0.1 ohm coil, are you saying the mod limited the power to 137W because of current to the coil? I presume you looked at the current to the coil on the display?

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And how much wattage can be pushed thru a .1 coil depends on the max output voltage of the mod. Simple ohms law. Many mods get maximum output power at around .3-.5 ohms.

Why DNA75's suck in squonkers becuase of squonkers using higher ohm coils. And the maximum output voltage is 6V.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You sure type a lot of words Richard, but this one is worth taking on :)
This is nonsense. A 0.1 ohm coil on that mod is never going to be safer than a 0.15 ohm coil, at the same power level, since you're going to draw more output current with the 0.1 ohm coil than a 0.15 ohm coil. Now you can make the argument that vaping at lower power is safer than higher power on the same coil (same resistance), and I can agree with you, but don't try to claim a higher resistance is less safe than a low resistance on a mod! I'm curious about your test though, when you say it "maxed out at 37 amps" on your 0.1 ohm coil, are you saying the mod limited the power to 137W because of current to the coil? I presume you looked at the current to the coil on the display?

Your too focused on output power. There is no safety issue in output power. Period. All the chips are way underrated before amp issues kick in. The internal wiring would melt before the chip has issues. Your looking at things backwards. The issue is battery amp draw when dealing with safety.

And no your assumption is wrong. I calculated amp draw using ohms law with the 2 given values which is resistance and the output voltage measured by an oscilloscope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
And how much wattage can be pushed thru a .1 coil depends on the max output voltage of the mod. Simple ohms law. Many mods get maximum output power at around .3-.5 ohms.

Why DNA75's suck in squonkers becuase of squonkers using higher ohm coils. And the maximum output voltage is 6V.

Voltage won't matter with a .1 coil. Every mod reaches their amp limit well before the volt limit at .1

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Your too focused on output power. There is no safety issue in output power. Period. All the chips are way underrated before amp issues kick in. The internal wiring would melt before the chip has issues. Your looking at things backwards. The issue is battery amp draw when dealing with safety.

And no your assumption is wrong. I calculated amp draw using ohms law with the 2 given values which is resistance and the output voltage measured by an oscilloscope

You need to read a little closer Richard, I said power "at the same resistance", so yes, current changes with the Power level, the higher the power, the higher the current. And yep, its current that a power transistor has to dissipate. Speaking of that, if you're vaping the Kaos Spectrum at 37 Amps as you stated, you're exceeding the specified maximum output power of 35 Amps for the mod. Do as you please, but telling people that it's safe to vape beyond the specs of a mod, be in minimum resistance, maximum current, etc., is irresponsible.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You need to read a little closer Richard, I said power "at the same resistance", so yes, current changes with the Power level, the higher the power, the higher the current. And yep, its current that a power transistor has to dissipate. Speaking of that, if you're vaping the Kaos Spectrum at 37 Amps as you stated, you're exceeding the specified maximum output power of 35 Amps for the mod. Do as you please, but telling people that it's safe to vape beyond the specs of a mod, be in minimum resistance, maximum current, etc., is irresponsible.

You don't quite understand specs of manufacturers. Here is the answer. They usually lie. Something that does 37 amps is accurately rated but I seen mods like joyetch claim 50 amps as a reviewer I must test that and no they don't they tap out in the 35-40 range triple batts mods usually push 50

Most chips we use are highly overrated or underrated. For instance the g2 is built to do 260 watts but they throttle it to 171 for safety. Most manufactures don't list amp limits either. You have to remember I've tested and reviewed dozens of mods

And as far as safety I know what's safe and what's not and I always preach safety. Hell I have a video on it. You are pretty new to vaping self admitted. You'll see as you get more acclimated with it what I mean. Everything I tell people is safe. If U don't believe me feel free to test it yourself. That's why I do testing. That's why people like mooch are a god send. Samsung rates the 30q at 15 amps but mooch tests it at 20. Efest batts normally say 30 or 40 amps but they are really like 15. So don't pay much attention to manufacturers specs. That's why I test things to see what they really do.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You might want to check out some of Busardo or DJLSB's charts on output power testing of mods.

I do watch their reviews as well as make and test my own. Watts is a power measurement. Not an output. Voltage is the output. It's a common misconception. I need to make a video on it one day. Put it this way. Your house is likely filled with 120 outlets. That's the voltage. But the power is 0 until you plug something and drop a load on it. Let's say a toaster. The toaster draws amperage and then power is calculated from that. That's how electric companies charge. In power used. Kw/h.

Just an FYI if anyone is new here I work in power generation. And while mostly everything I deal with is AC not DC the same logic applies. I just do it on a bigger scale.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do watch their reviews as well as make and test my own. Watts is a power measurement. Not an output. Voltage is the output. It's a common misconception. I need to make a video on it one day. Put it this way. Your house is likely filled with 120 outlets. That's the voltage. But the power is 0 until you plug something and drop a load on it. Let's say a toaster. The toaster draws amperage and then power is calculated from that. That's how electric companies charge. In power used. Kw/h.

Just an FYI if anyone is new here I work in power generation. And while mostly everything I deal with is AC not DC the same logic applies. I just do it on a bigger scale.

Volts is potential to do work, watts is how much work is being done.
A 40+ yr Electronics tech.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You don't quite understand specs of manufacturers. Here is the answer. They usually lie. Something that does 37 amps is accurately rated but I seen mods like joyetch claim 50 amps as a reviewer I must test that and no they don't they tap out in the 35-40 range triple batts mods usually push 50

Most chips we use are highly overrated or underrated. For instance the g2 is built to do 260 watts but they throttle it to 171 for safety. Most manufactures don't list amp limits either. You have to remember I've tested and reviewed dozens of mods

And as far as safety I know what's safe and what's not and I always preach safety. Hell I have a video on it. You are pretty new to vaping self admitted. You'll see as you get more acclimated with it what I mean. Everything I tell people is safe. If U don't believe me feel free to test it yourself. That's why I do testing. That's why people like mooch are a god send. Samsung rates the 30q at 15 amps but mooch tests it at 20. Efest batts normally say 30 or 40 amps but they are really like 15. So don't pay much attention to manufacturers specs. That's why I test things to see what they really do.

I've been vaping for almost 4 years, quit smoking three years ago. New to temp control and Artic Fox firmware but the engineer in me studies hard and you're just not going to be able to blow smoke up my ass when it comes to anything electrical or with electronic controls. ;) Manufacturers publish specs for a reason - to ensure people operate equipment they sell in a safe manner to protect themselves and the equipment. Yes they have margin for safety but it's not yours to abuse, it's to account for aging, manufacturing tolerances, and uncertainties. I stand by my statement that vaping devices should be operated within the specifications of the manufacturer.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been vaping for almost 4 years, quit smoking three years ago. New to temp control and Artic Fox firmware but the engineer in me studies hard and you're just not going to be able to blow smoke up my ass when it comes to anything electrical or with electronic controls. ;) Manufacturers publish specs for a reason - to ensure people operate equipment they sell in a safe manner to protect themselves and the equipment. Yes they have margin for safety but it's not yours to abuse, it's to account for aging, manufatureing tolerances, and uncertainties. I stand by my statement that vaping devices should be operated within the specifications of the manufacturer.
Heat is what kills solid state devices.
heat dissipates very poorly in most all mods.
I cannot believe that most Chinese mods are very over engineered.
The max ratings on MOSFET's and chips are with proper heat sinking and cooling which is lacking in most all mods.

Their intermittent operation is all that keeps them from frying their butts.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Volts is potential to do work, watts is how much work is being done.
A 40+ yr Electronics tech.

But u stated volts is power which isn't correct. As you say now it's potential which is exactly what my example explained. Mind you one thing I do is size out temp power for things like PPOs which includes booking a chart recorder "usually I use ampprobe" to the main and let it run for a week or 2 then downloading the data to see the peak amp draw and using that and the voltage (usually 480 or 208 three phase) to calculate the power needed from the temp power (in the US we use KW but in other areas they use KVA) but they are equal in single phase but in 3 phase you need to calculate an 80%PF

I haven't done it as long as you but I've done it over a decade. I've ran resistive load testing on units measured in MW not KW so yeah big and even high voltage ones where we needed to use a step down transformer to drop voltage to 480. In short I'm not saying I'm the expert of all. I work with a ton of smart people as well. But I do know my shit and everything I said here is true and most important of all I know safety as I deal with that to thanks to IOR, oshpod, nfpa regs etc. and I wouldn't never tell anyone to do unsafe. As I said before I have some cocky guys but I won't let them do a hot tap. There is only one guy I work with I'll let do a hot tap

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But u stated volts is power which isn't correct.
Where?

I think you are mistaken.

More volts = more power dissipated in the same resistance if the amps are available.
As you said simple ohms law.

why devices like the DNA75 cannot achieve very high wattages at say 1.8 ohms with a maximum output voltage of 6 volts. DNA knows this and increased the Max output voltage on the 75C board.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Actually current is the output that goes through the coil (electrons) and voltage (electomotive force or EMF) is the potential energy across the coil that drives it.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've been vaping for almost 4 years, quit smoking three years ago. New to temp control and Artic Fox firmware but the engineer in me studies hard and you're just not going to be able to blow smoke up my ass when it comes to anything electrical or with electronic controls. ;) Manufacturers publish specs for a reason - to ensure people operate equipment they sell in a safe manner to protect themselves and the equipment. Yes they have margin for safety but it's not yours to abuse, it's to account for aging, manufacturing tolerances, and uncertainties. I stand by my statement that vaping devices should be operated within the specifications of the manufacturer.

You have it backwards. I'm not blowing smoke. Listen we can all learn from each other but only with open minds. Hard headed people stunt growth. Manufacturers specs label what the chip can do. Not a safety limit. The limits on the chips safety wise is far higher then what they publish most of the time. They are usually throttled back. Of course some lie and oversell their power, but again when the chip maxes out what it can do it stops putting out more.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Heat is what kills solid state devices.
heat dissipates very poorly in most all mods.
I cannot believe that most Chinese mods are very over engineered.
The max ratings on MOSFET's and chips are with proper heat sinking and cooling which is lacking in most all mods.

Their intermittent operation is all that keeps them from frying their butts.

This is true too. Huge difference in 5-6 puffs compared to running the thing 24-7. You ever see the difference in a standby generator compared to a prime powered generator? It's staggering and I see people by standby for prime power and run them into the ground fast. They aren't made for it.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Actually current is the output that goes through the coil (electrons) and voltage (electomotive force or EMF) is the potential energy across the coil that drives it.

That's what I said but I'm a layman example. It seems you are just here to be argumentative at this point?

VU Sponsors