Become a Patron!

nickel allergy

Ok I have a question for all you Vaping Guru's. I have an allergy to Nickel and found this out the hard way. When I got married I found out that my gold band had nickel in it to stiffen it up and keep it from bending. Well after a few days I noticed that my finger was sore and just figured it was cause I never wore a ring before. A few days later the pain increased and I noticed my finger was all red and swollen. After a few minutes and plenty of lotion I got the ring off. My finger was all blistered and infected so I went to the DR. During his inspection and after an allergy test,it was determined that I had an allergic reaction to the nickel in my ring. Sooo now I'm wondering,with the Sub ohm tanks coming out and using the Nickel wire,Is this going to have the same effect on my lungs that it did on my finger? This is not something that I want to figure out the hard way.

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read something about this a few months ago about someone in your situation. I can't remember the details; however, the end result was that using nickel wire to vape did not cause allergic reaction. There was reasoning behind it, but unfortunately I did not pay close attention as to why. YMMV

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, to add to this, if you have used clearos and other pre-built coils, it is my understanding those are made with nichrome, which contain nickel. If you haven't had a reaction with those, chances are you won't with pure nickel wire. And yes, google can be your friend.:)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Or you can just use Kanthal wire in the RBA heads instead of going with the stock heads.

Just saying................

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is something you should ask your doctor about.

DYLAN73

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wouldn't risk it by using nickel wire. Who knows about the long-term health effects it may have on you. You surely know the short-term effects on your finger. There's plenty of other wire out there. Stay away from nickel in your case. Just my two cents...

Totally agree @DYLAN73. I was really just curious to see how many others were out there with a Nickel allergy and to see what info they had on it,if any at all.

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't risk it by using nickel wire. Who knows about the long-term health effects it may have on you. You surely know the short-term effects on your finger. There's plenty of other wire out there. Stay away from nickel in your case. Just my two cents...

Whether people with nickel allergies know it or not, most, if not all of them have been vaping with nichrome wire. If you've purchased pre-built atties from china, which covers about all of us, you have vaped with nickel wire.

VU Sponsors