Become a Patron!

Nickel coils

ImposingGorilla

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, new to forums in general. I've built a dual ni200 coil for my griffin 25 rta on top of the kbox 200 in TC. It's 28g- 10 wraps- comes out at 0.07.. The problem I'm having, is getting my head around how this won't just turn my kbox into a grenade. On the vape tool app I have.. Running this coil would draw about 104 amps. I've been working with kanthal for a while and I've never had any doubts in working out the safety for my batteries. I'm not comparing the two as i know nickel behaves differently to kanthal. Just wondering if someone could explain where I've gone wrong?
Thanks

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi, new to forums in general. I've built a dual ni200 coil for my griffin 25 rta on top of the kbox 200 in TC. It's 28g- 10 wraps- comes out at 0.07.. The problem I'm having, is getting my head around how this won't just turn my kbox into a grenade. On the vape tool app I have.. Running this coil would draw about 104 amps. I've been working with kanthal for a while and I've never had any doubts in working out the safety for my batteries. I'm not comparing the two as i know nickel behaves differently to kanthal. Just wondering if someone could explain where I've gone wrong?
Thanks
You didn't go wrong. Personally I dislike ni200 wire for many reasons, but ni200 only works in temp control mode, the resistance will get higher by alot when it gets hot and it doesn't take a lot of voltage/wattage to heat up like kenthal does. Realistically you won't need anywhere more then 60 watts which is about 2v and 28 amps

ImposingGorilla

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, I'm assuming the kbox 200 would regulate that internally then as you can't change the power from 200w in TC mode. I would normally just stick to a variety of kanthal builds myself but I ended up with some ni200 and figured I'd give it a shot and see what all the fuss was about.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thank you, I'm assuming the kbox 200 would regulate that internally then as you can't change the power from 200w in TC mode. I would normally just stick to a variety of kanthal builds myself but I ended up with some ni200 and figured I'd give it a shot and see what all the fuss was about.
yeah the box should regulate it. not sure if your box allows a wattage adjustment in temp mode. If it does, i'd start at 40 watts and 400F for temp and then increase it till you find your sweet spot. Also make sure you are in TC mode for Ni wire, don't hit Ni wire in wattage mode ever. And also don't base your TC experience on Ni wire, it's easily the worst wire for temp control

ImposingGorilla

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice, I'll have a look into whether or not I can change the wattage in TC mode. What's your opinion on the best wire for TC by the way?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nice, I'll have a look into whether or not I can change the wattage in TC mode. What's your opinion on the best wire for TC by the way?
Depends really, there is good and bad in everything. Here is a quick breakdown

Ni200
Pros - highest TCR
Cons - Really low resistance, Can't be used in wattage mode

Ti
Pros - 2nd Highest TCR
Cons - Can't be used in wattage mode

SS (316, 316l, 317, 430)
Pros - can be used in wattage mode
Cons - lowest TCR

Nife (52/48, 30/70)
Pros - can be used in wattage mode, Higher TCR then SS
Cons - Hard to find, Most devices don't do it except DNA and hohmtech mods

Overall I'd say SS is the most popular right now, Most devices do SS (not all, but most) it can be used fine in wattage mode, has a clean taste, and 4 grades to choose from. Also SS316 is sold in premade "fancy" wire rolls like Clapton and alien wire. So if your device does it, That's what I'd recommend.

Ni/Fe is probably the best overall, But it's hard to find, doesn't come in premade fancy wire yet, and only 2 brands of devices can do it (DNA mods and Hohmtech mods)

ImposingGorilla

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cheers for the insight, I've just fired up the dual coil I've got on the kbox 200 and so far so good 0.07 at 410f. Turns out the wattage does self regulate. Definitely going to get some SS wire and see how that goes.
Thanks again

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Cheers for the insight, I've just fired up the dual coil I've got on the kbox 200 and so far so good 0.07 at 410f. Turns out the wattage does self regulate. Definitely going to get some SS wire and see how that goes.
Thanks again
No problem!

VU Sponsors