Become a Patron!

Nicotine base strength too weak?

Hi everyone,

Been DYI for a year or so and since TPD I'm now using 18mg nic shots to mix.

That's a lot of nic to use in any recipe since the strength is so low, and it's expensive too!

My burning question is: is 18mg too weak and does it alter the overall taste? I end up using the nic for most of the PG content of my mixes since you have to put so much in.

Should I go back to using 72mg? Does it make any difference wether most of your PG comes from the nic or the PG you usually use?

Thanks a lot in advance
Kalagan

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
PG is PG, long as your flavor percentages are where they should be, your mix should taste the same. However, it's actually more economical to get a higher milligram base because you use less in a mix. I've always used 100mg nic base as it takes mere drops to get the desired nic level in a mix. It may cost more,but you use so much less of it.

Thanks Teresa, that's my opinion too but since I've moved to 18mg my mixes seem to taste more bland / mute sometimes so I wondered about that.

I think I'll moved back to 72 or 100mg anyway, less expensive indeed

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I started with 18mg and it didn't last long. Went to 100 and just finished opened my 2nd bottle of it the other day after around 6 months. I would get a smaller bottle and pay the extra $$$ for it. It does lose effectiveness over time. Unless you're mixing commercially the larger sizes will break down eventually. The site I just looked at was $7.99 for 60ml vs $12.99 for 120ml. I'd spend the extra overall cost for the 60ml. Well, maybe the 120, but definitely not the 240 for $19.99. If it was me half that bottle would be wasted.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What the hell are you talking about? Loses effectiveness? You have been doing DIY for less than a year and you wasted by your own admission almost a liter of e-Liquid! Stop trying to sound like you know everything about vaping the more you open your mouth the less you prove you know.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU Kalagan.

Awesome to see new DIY'ers around mixing. You will spend a little more on the 100mg nic but it will go a lot farther than the other and end up costing about the same over its life. So long as you keep it sealed up and stored properly (for which there are a million different opinions for doing so), you should be good to go.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I started with 18mg and it didn't last long. Went to 100 and just finished opened my 2nd bottle of it the other day after around 6 months. I would get a smaller bottle and pay the extra $$$ for it. It does lose effectiveness over time. Unless you're mixing commercially the larger sizes will break down eventually. The site I just looked at was $7.99 for 60ml vs $12.99 for 120ml. I'd spend the extra overall cost for the 60ml. Well, maybe the 120, but definitely not the 240 for $19.99. If it was me half that bottle would be wasted.

Nic is either spoiled or its good to use and if stored properly its good to use for a really long time. I have nic that is a couple of years old in the freezer that taste amazing still.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah a big hearty Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay to @kalagan ~!

A thought I just had was the Nic shots and a friend in the UK who uses them wasn't giving them time to properly infuse and when he let them sit for a few days he found a marked difference in the taste. Also it is possible the different Nic Shots are of different quality which could account for the taste. Good Luck my friend and be careful taking the advice from people who make e-Liquids that Taste Like Butt...................

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
200mg/ml in PG is my go to. Allows for max VG when paired with a strong flavor. My TFA Acai cloudchaser is is around 94%

Nic is either spoiled or its good to use and if stored properly its good to use for a really long time. I have nic that is a couple of years old in the freezer that taste amazing still.

Same. It's a little pink but haven't noticed any issues. Takes a long time to go through a liter of lab nice @ 200mg lol

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same here I just rebottle my liters of nic into 120 ml glass bottles and put in deep freeze. Close to 3 years on some of it and still clear and nice.
I just pull out a 120 ml bottle whenever I need one.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It should be noted that working with 200MG Nicotine requires EXTRA Precautions. For those new to DIY or not very well versed in the toxicity of Nicotine.

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 100 mg/vg Supercritical nic and I buy it now by the liter. I mix out of it about once a month and when it goes back in the fridge I store it with an argon blanket. I buy the stuff that comes in aerosol cans that people use for storing opened wine bottles. Keeps my nic in good shape.

VU Sponsors