Become a Patron!

Nicotine levels

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently started vaping again and all the juice I've used this time has been 3. I'm not sure that it's high enough because I have still been smoking, not anything like I was before I got my vape but I'd say around 6-7 a day. Could it be that the 3 isn't enough nicotine to keep me from wanting to smoke? My other two attempts at vaping I was using 12 and I believe that is part of the reason I quit each time, my throat and lungs would feel rough as soon as I'd start vaping, which is definitely not the case this time so I'm assuming that the 12 was way too much for me. So I guess my question would be is a 3 enough for someone who smoked a pack plus everyday?

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The answer to how much nicotine you need is a personal one. The amount of vapor you use daily also factors in. If you vape at high wattage you will absorb more nicotine. If you vape at lower wattage you will need either more nicotine or vape more to equal the nicotine consumption at higher wattage.

Maybe try using 6mg

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You could try higher nicotine, but my experience with relapsing to smoking after being smoke-free and then trying to get back to smoke-free, is that nicotine really doesn't have much at all to do with it -- it's about your WILL. It's just harder to put the smokes down after a relapse, you have to really mean it, draw that line in the sand and just don't step over it. I kept waiting for smoking to just "fall away" as it seemed to do the first time, and it kept not happening... I had to actually make an effort, and stick to my commitment.

Once you do get smoke-free again, if real body-cravings do come back, then you might try WTA, because nicotine really isn't much use for those -- nicotine is just not very addictive, but the other crap in cigarettes IS. But you need to be totally smoke-free for at least a week before you try WTA, or you won't notice much of a difference.

Andria

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I recently started vaping again and all the juice I've used this time has been 3. I'm not sure that it's high enough because I have still been smoking, not anything like I was before I got my vape but I'd say around 6-7 a day. Could it be that the 3 isn't enough nicotine to keep me from wanting to smoke? My other two attempts at vaping I was using 12 and I believe that is part of the reason I quit each time, my throat and lungs would feel rough as soon as I'd start vaping, which is definitely not the case this time so I'm assuming that the 12 was way too much for me. So I guess my question would be is a 3 enough for someone who smoked a pack plus everyday?

Welcome to the Underground @Sirvapes_alot! :)

The amount of nicotine you absorb depends on the ohms of the coil and wattage of your device. 12 on a 1.5 or 1.8 ohm coil is about = to 3 or 6 on a .5 ohm coil. If you find yourself still wanting a cig... try upping it to 6. If you find the 6 to be too high, it can always be diluted back down to 3.

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The answer to how much nicotine you need is a personal one. The amount of vapor you use daily also factors in. If you vape at high wattage you will absorb more nicotine. If you vape at lower wattage you will need either more nicotine or vape more to equal the nicotine consumption at higher wattage.

Maybe try using 6mg
Thank you for that info I had no idea that you get more at higher wattage and less at lower. I normally stay around 50 watts.

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You could try higher nicotine, but my experience with relapsing to smoking after being smoke-free and then trying to get back to smoke-free, is that nicotine really doesn't have much at all to do with it -- it's about your WILL. It's just harder to put the smokes down after a relapse, you have to really mean it, draw that line in the sand and just don't step over it. I kept waiting for smoking to just "fall away" as it seemed to do the first time, and it kept not happening... I had to actually make an effort, and stick to my commitment.

Once you do get smoke-free again, if real body-cravings do come back, then you might try WTA, because nicotine really isn't much use for those -- nicotine is just not very addictive, but the other crap in cigarettes IS. But you need to be totally smoke-free for at least a week before you try WTA, or you won't notice much of a difference.

Andria
First I have to ask, what is WTA? I wouldn't really call me smoking a relapse because they first few times I tried vaping it never lasted more than a few days. It was really harsh on my throat and lungs and the set ups I had were leaking a lot and constantly popping juice and I'd give up after a few days to a week at most. This time is way diff, I'm very pleased with my set up and the experience all together.

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the Underground @Sirvapes_alot! :)

The amount of nicotine you absorb depends on the ohms of the coil and wattage of your device. 12 on a 1.5 or 1.8 ohm coil is about = to 3 or 6 on a .5 ohm coil. If you find yourself still wanting a cig... try upping it to 6. If you find the 6 to be too high, it can always be diluted back down to 3.

I'm using a .20 coil this ho round. So I guess it's like I'm using a 12 again then. Most of my local shops don't even carry anything over a 6 anymore, I guess this is because of the high use of subohm?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using a .20 coil this ho round. So I guess it's like I'm using a 12 again then. Most of my local shops don't even carry anything over a 6 anymore, I guess this is because of the high use of subohm?
You can also read up on making your own juice and that way you can custom make the MG however you need it , we have many threads here in the DIY section and many members in there who would be glad to help answer any questions on getting you started with that, Welcome :wave:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
First I have to ask, what is WTA? I wouldn't really call me smoking a relapse because they first few times I tried vaping it never lasted more than a few days. It was really harsh on my throat and lungs and the set ups I had were leaking a lot and constantly popping juice and I'd give up after a few days to a week at most. This time is way diff, I'm very pleased with my set up and the experience all together.

Whole Tobacco Alkaloids -- but it's a lot more expensive than regular ejuice, you won't notice any difference until you're completely smoke-free, and it's almost as hard to get off WTA as off cigarettes.... so until you ARE completely smoke-free, don't even worry about it. It will completely eliminate *physical cravings* but won't do a single thing about motivation to quit. That has to come from you.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Also -- you smoked over a pack a day, though you didn't say for how long -- so being down from +20 a day to 6 or 7 is in NO WAY a "failure" -- you're doing great. Switching from smoke to vape is not an "all or nothing" proposition; most folks wean down from smoking however much, because it's just easier that way; however long it takes you, if you just keep vaping, and keep trying to substitute vaping for smoking, you're going in the right direction and there is no hurry, you'll get there -- just don't give up as you did before.

Andria

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.20 is sub ohm. His example for 12 nic was 1.x. .20 at 50 watts is a good wattage so I think you should try 6 until you lose the cravings and gradually you can go down to 3.

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also -- you smoked over a pack a day, though you didn't say for how long -- so being down from +20 a day to 6 or 7 is in NO WAY a "failure" -- you're doing great. Switching from smoke to vape is not an "all or nothing" proposition; most folks wean down from smoking however much, because it's just easier that way; however long it takes you, if you just keep vaping, and keep trying to substitute vaping for smoking, you're going in the right direction and there is no hurry, you'll get there -- just don't give up as you did before.

Andria
Yeah I'm happy with being down to what I am, I was just more or less curious if more nicotine would know out the last or my cravings or if it was just something I'd have to deal with.

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.20 is sub ohm. His example for 12 nic was 1.x. .20 at 50 watts is a good wattage so I think you should try 6 until you lose the cravings and gradually you can go down to 3.
Yeah I know .20 is subohm, it seems like most everything they have in the shops local to me is subohm setups. I was wondering if that was the reason they seem to only have 3 and 6 juices. I'm going to stop and pick up some coils later anyways so I think I will grab me a bottle of something in 6 and see how I like it.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I know .20 is subohm, it seems like most everything they have in the shops local to me is subohm setups. I was wondering if that was the reason they seem to only have 3 and 6 juices. I'm going to stop and pick up some coils later anyways so I think I will grab me a bottle of something in 6 and see how I like it.
Most likely why. I think most people going to shops are using sub ohm equipment so it makes sense.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I'm happy with being down to what I am, I was just more or less curious if more nicotine would know out the last or my cravings or if it was just something I'd have to deal with.

Well it turns out that nicotine really isn't all that addictive -- no moreso than caffeine, for instance -- so yes, it's a little "habit-forming", but nothing like all the stupid ANTZ have led us to believe; most of the physically-addictive effects of smoking are due to supercharging the nicotine with ammonia, which causes it to be even more rapidly absorbed into the brain than it would anyway -- and it's already a lot faster with smoking, due to the microscopic particles being absorbed in the alveoli of the lungs, which means they go directly to the brain lickety-split -- and also the MAOIs, which are naturally-occurring in tobacco, which also account for a LOT of the addictiveness of smoking, and the pure psychosis and suicidal depression that can result from quitting. WTA contains some MAOIs, and the other natural tobacco alkaloids that occur in trace amounts compared to nicotine, but contribute a great deal to the physical addiction.

But the plain fact is that most of the addiction to smoking is behavioral, which is why vaping is such a marvelous substitute -- it closely mimics many of the behaviors we've come to depend on as stress-relievers. This is why it's so important to be smoke-free before you even try WTA; WTA won't provide the will to quit, or the commitment to quitting; that needs to already be in effect; WTA will just relieve most of the physical discomforts.

That's why a gradual transition to vaping from smoking is really the best and easiest way; it allows your brain and body to get used to the idea of something similar but slightly different; it allows you learn the best techniques for making vaping really effective -- such as, not inhaling deeply, but allowing the vapor to hang around in mouth and throat and nose, which provides far better absorption of vaporized nicotine; the alveoli are good at dealing with microscopic smoke particles, but vaporized nicotine is in droplets, which are much better handled by the oral, throat, and nasal mucosa. And it allows your "habit" to gradually come to understand that the sky isn't falling, nothing has changed all that much, you're just doing your accustomed thing in a slightly different way. All of that prevents stress, and since stress is one of the foremost triggers for smoking, it just makes the entire process much easier -- the less stress you suffer over it, the easier it will be, until you finally come to realize that you can't get anything from cigarettes that you can't get from vaping -- except a nasty smell on your hands and person, and a ghastly taste in your mouth -- and the more you vape, the worse that taste and smell will seem to you, which also makes the whole thing much easier.

When you get to the point where you're willing and eager to lay the cigarettes down, it's your own free choice, not coercion of any kind, and that is MUCH easier to stick to, than any kind of coercion.

Andria

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well it turns out that nicotine really isn't all that addictive -- no moreso than caffeine, for instance -- so yes, it's a little "habit-forming", but nothing like all the stupid ANTZ have led us to believe; most of the physically-addictive effects of smoking are due to supercharging the nicotine with ammonia, which causes it to be even more rapidly absorbed into the brain than it would anyway -- and it's already a lot faster with smoking, due to the microscopic particles being absorbed in the alveoli of the lungs, which means they go directly to the brain lickety-split -- and also the MAOIs, which are naturally-occurring in tobacco, which also account for a LOT of the addictiveness of smoking, and the pure psychosis and suicidal depression that can result from quitting. WTA contains some MAOIs, and the other natural tobacco alkaloids that occur in trace amounts compared to nicotine, but contribute a great deal to the physical addiction.

But the plain fact is that most of the addiction to smoking is behavioral, which is why vaping is such a marvelous substitute -- it closely mimics many of the behaviors we've come to depend on as stress-relievers. This is why it's so important to be smoke-free before you even try WTA; WTA won't provide the will to quit, or the commitment to quitting; that needs to already be in effect; WTA will just relieve most of the physical discomforts.

That's why a gradual transition to vaping from smoking is really the best and easiest way; it allows your brain and body to get used to the idea of something similar but slightly different; it allows you learn the best techniques for making vaping really effective -- such as, not inhaling deeply, but allowing the vapor to hang around in mouth and throat and nose, which provides far better absorption of vaporized nicotine; the alveoli are good at dealing with microscopic smoke particles, but vaporized nicotine is in droplets, which are much better handled by the oral, throat, and nasal mucosa. And it allows your "habit" to gradually come to understand that the sky isn't falling, nothing has changed all that much, you're just doing your accustomed thing in a slightly different way. All of that prevents stress, and since stress is one of the foremost triggers for smoking, it just makes the entire process much easier -- the less stress you suffer over it, the easier it will be, until you finally come to realize that you can't get anything from cigarettes that you can't get from vaping -- except a nasty smell on your hands and person, and a ghastly taste in your mouth -- and the more you vape, the worse that taste and smell will seem to you, which also makes the whole thing much easier.

When you get to the point where you're willing and eager to lay the cigarettes down, it's your own free choice, not coercion of any kind, and that is MUCH easier to stick to, than any kind of coercion.

Andria
Yeah I definitely can't and didn't plan to 100% go straight from smoking to vaping. Planned to just do it at a casual rate that was comfortable to me and didn't cause me to endure any real bad cravings that made me terrible to be around. It's going rather well though. Was down to four today, the urge to smoke is going away rather quickly which I'm excited about. Hope to be done with them and never touch another one.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I definitely can't and didn't plan to 100% go straight from smoking to vaping. Planned to just do it at a casual rate that was comfortable to me and didn't cause me to endure any real bad cravings that made me terrible to be around. It's going rather well though. Was down to four today, the urge to smoke is going away rather quickly which I'm excited about. Hope to be done with them and never touch another one.

That's good! It's true that there are some folks who had only to walk into a vape shop to be able to switch 100% to vaping immediately.... but that's not the usual case for many if not most of us. We were part of the last remaining 20% of the general population who still smoked, because we were unable to quit by any means -- so it's good to take it easy, really prove it to yourself, and not try to go so fast that you set yourself up for a fall -- because if you ever get to the mindset of resenting the fact that you quit.... you likely won't *stay* quit. ;) That particular psychology is why I still have an open pk with 12 in it, in a ziplock at the back of my freezer.. right behind my nic stash. :giggle: If it ever got so bad again that I thought I might die without a smoke, they're there... turning into tobaccocicles no doubt, after nearly 3 yrs in there, but available. :D

Andria

Spectre

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been vaping for about 2 and a half months, cold turkeyed on the stinkies (30+ a day)...I started with 12mgs. A month later I was down to 6mg, and now I swap between 0 and 3mg. I would suggest going for a 6mg for the time being if you're getting those cravings and just go mad on the vape till each craving passes. See how you go from there...you may be down at 3 again in a month or so...take the mg dropping slowly to ease yourself down.

VU Sponsors