Become a Patron!

NICOTINE SAFETY AND HANDLING INFORMATION

vapingmandycat

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
[h=1]Nicotine Safety and Handling[/h] Organic Nicotine Solutions - Safety and Handling
Poison Control Hotline: 1-800-222-1222
DANGER! - Concentrated Nicotine solutions may be harmful or fatal if swallowed, absorbed by skin, or inhaled.
Nicotine solutions should always be kept in a secure location away from untrained personnel and out of the reach of children or pets.
If accidental ingestion occurs call Poison Control immediately. Rinse mouth with cold water. Give victim 1-2 cups of water or milk to drink. Induce vomiting immediately. Seek medical attention.
If skin contact occurs remove contaminated clothing and wash the affected area immediately with soap and cold water. Seek medical attention.
If eye contact occurs immediately flush the eyes with water or eye wash solution for 15 minutes, lifting lower and upper eyelids occasionally. Seek medical attention.
If inhalation occurs remove victim to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. Seek medical attention.
Symptoms of Nicotine poisoning may include: Excess salivation, burning sensation in the mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, difficulty breathing, pallor, sweating, chest pain, palpitations, tremors, convulsions, confusion, weakness, or lack of coordination. If you suspect Nicotine poisoning and are experiencing any of the above symptoms seek medical attention immediately.
Handling and Personal Protection
Nicotine solutions should not be handled without the proper training and personal protection.
Personal protection includes: Eye protection or faceshield, respirator, liquid/chemical resistant gloves, liquid/chemical resistant coveralls or apron, liquid/chemical resistant shoe covers or boots.
Additional recommended safety equipment includes: Fume hood, liquid/chemical resistant catch basin, emergency shower and eyewash station.
Minimum recommended Personal Protection for Nicotine solutions up to 50mg/ml include: Liquid/chemical resistant gloves, safety glasses or goggles, particle mask for nose and mouth.
Minimum recommended Personal Protection for Nicotine solutions from 50mg/ml up to 100mg/ml include: Liquid/chemical resistant gloves, safety glasses or goggles, particle mask for nose and mouth, liquid/chemical resistant sleeves or coverall.
Minimum recommended Personal Protection for Nicotine solutions above 100mg/ml include: Liquid/chemical resistant gloves, faceshield and head cover, organic vapor respirator, liquid/chemical resistant coveralls, liquid/chemical resistant shoe covers or boots.
Storage
Nicotine solutions should be stored in a dry, cool, dark location that is secured from untrained personnel. Always keep Nicotine solutions out of the reach of children and pets. For long term storage keep Nicotine solutions in a glass container with an airtight lid, and proper labeling. To help prevent oxidation, keep Nicotine solutions away from heat, light, and in contact with as little oxygen as possible. Nicotine solutions may be safely stored at room temperature. Optimal storage temperature is 34-41 degrees Fahrenheit. Nicotine solutions may be safely used for up to 18 months with proper storage.

Labeling
Containers storing Nicotine solutions must always be labeled properly with the content and appropriate warning language and/or symbols. Labeling should include the chemical name, and bear the words Danger, or Poison. DO NOT store Nicotine solutions in unlabeled containers.

This document was last updated on October 29th, 2011 and is subject to change. Please refer back to this page for current information.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel like the symptoms part when a Cop pulls me over. Nicotine is BAD shit! Don't mix juice with Kids or Pets in the same room as you! Straight Nicotine WILL fuck you up! I can hear it now, Oh it won't happen to me. Your human. If you think it won't your either real stupid, or lying to yourself. That's my rant. That's how it is.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Great post. @VaporJoes or to any Moderator, this should be stickied all over the DIY section. Seriously. People get super excited about DIY and jump into it before they've done any research. Again, good information Mandy.

DocDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Definitely glad I read this first as part of my next three months of research on DIY mixing. I have two kids and I'd never forgive myself if I allowed something so stupidly preventable to happen to them. Thank you Mandy.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm splitting 8-16 liters of my nic tonight (100% vg). Mostly putting 99% of 2 liters in 64oz amber growlers. Hubby will help. I'll also put some in 32 oz, 16oz and smaller for when I need to use it. The gallons of pg & vg can wait until I get my vape freezer next week.

Is there anything, other than safety (should we wear masks for this massive amount of nic) and to freeze it I need to know? Like, how much air do I leave in the glass amber bottle before placing it in the freezer? I have all of the required equipment. I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!!! (And, can my beer be within 3ft of me?)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
(And, can my beer be within 3ft of me?)

While I suggest imbibing after you complete your tasks; As long as you don't spill any nic. in your beer...Yes!

Ron
BJCP Recognized Judge
# C0490
---
"My grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle."- Henny Youngman

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
LOL, thanks Ron. Any rule on how much room to leave in the bottles before placing them in the freezer?

I found the answer in General Discussion:
"You want to leave as little air as possible to minimize oxidization."

Last edited:

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL, thanks Ron. Any rule on how much room to leave in the bottles before placing them in the freezer?

Since the liquid will not freeze solid or expand/contract much, most folks leave around 1/8th inch.

Good Luck and Steady Hands!

Ron
---
"Who cares about the clouds when we're together? Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather."- Dale Evans

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Leave as little air as is possible, but not so little, that it spills over when you cap it.

I had 2 incidences where I couldn't see the liquid line and looked up in my funnel and was overflowed. Hubby to the rescue with an eyedropper. Jeesh! I did leave little to no space in the bottles. Shaking however...there will be no air. They'll be in storage for some time. So I'll deal with it then. Perhaps take enough out to give me room to shake it up then put it back in. Dunno.

VU Sponsors