Become a Patron!

Nicotine salts recommendations

littlewitewilly

Member For 4 Years
After getting poor results on my first 4 DIY mixes using Vaportek's nicotine, I've decided to make the leap straight into using salts.

Recommendations?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I doubt using Salts will affect how your DIY turns out in my opinion. From what I hear the only benefit is a smoother higher nicotine level. Maybe @David Wolf will be able to offer more helpful advice. Good Luck

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Could just be the Nicotine you are using or the PG of which both provide the Throat Hit. I only use Nic-Select which is tasteless.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't actually give you more than what I heard because I do not use Salt Nicotine.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers for low nic mixes up to 6mg/mL and Nude Nicotine "Hit" and "Signature" are okay, Signature smells kind of chemically by itself

It will Lower throat hit, but don't try vaping too much nicotine at too high a wattage. What level of nicotine are you mixing now, mg/mL?

Be sure to store nicotine properly, in airtight bottles with little or no air at the top and in a cool place

littlewitewilly

Member For 4 Years
I like Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers for low nic mixes up to 6mg/mL and Nude Nicotine "Hit" and "Signature" are okay, Signature smells kind of chemically by itself

It will Lower throat hit, but don't try vaping too much nicotine at too high a wattage. What level of nicotine are you mixing now, mg/mL?

Be sure to store nicotine properly, in airtight bottles with little or no air at the top and in a cool place
Using Vaperstek 100mg in a pg base. Mixed up 4 recipes at 3mg 85/15 vg. 3 out of 4 have a harsh throat hit, 1 has a little "bite"

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Using Vaperstek 100mg in a pg base. Mixed up 4 recipes at 3mg 85/15 vg. 3 out of 4 have a harsh throat hit, 1 has a little "bite"

I would think they should all have the same throat hit if they have the same nicotine strength, unless the other three also have too large a % of a very rough flavor

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
85vg/15pg...There should be basically ZERO throat hit. I have a bottle of name brand 80/20 3mg that I purchased that is smooth as glass compared to the mixes I made

I am thinking that your nicotine either got spoiled during shipping or storage. But mind you I have not tried any of it or examined it so all I am doing is guessing if you will. Is it clear?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try mixing a small bottle of one of those recipes that was harsh without nicotine to see if it is the nic or your flavors and/or flavor percentage making it harsh.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also am not convinced that commercial juice uses the nic they claim to.
My 3ml/mg juice has more nic effect than commercial 3 juice.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I use nicotine Salts in all my DIY juices. Have been for a month now. Got it from Nicotine River. It is smoother than my previous nicotine which was from Liquid Barn (USANic I believe?) I was a 3mg vaper but 6 is a breeze now. Although 4mg is my sweet spot. The Benzoic acid seems to dry my throat above 4mg. It mixes the same, but tastes better IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All I know is I wont be purchasing from Vaperstek again.
I don't blame you. My first nic order was some bad shit. I never ordered there again and actually found Vaperstek. I've never had any problems using it. Sorry you're having trouble but it might not be your nic.

There's stickies in this section to help rule out why your juice tastes bad. Have you tried any of the steps?

littlewitewilly

Member For 4 Years
Definately the nic. Did a little experiment vaping 100%vg, 2 recipies at 90vg/10/pg with NO nicotine...Smooth as glass

Added the appropriate amount of nicotine to bring all three to 3mg strength and BINGO, harsh ass throat hit. Nicotine base also has a strong astringent smell that burns my nostrils a little.

Vaperstek has resolved the issue and is sending me a replacement bottle of nic base. Hopefully it's not like the first bottle of cat piss I received

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I heard salts give lung pain.

I haven't felt it.

I went from Vaping two 120ml's (8oz) of 3mg/ml a month while carrying around a brick (Holm Wrecker G2 / Boreas RTA) to vaping one 30ml (1oz) of 25mg/ml Salt nic in an Aspire Gusto Mini.

What are the unknown harms ("harms" being less than 5% of the harm smoking causes) of Vaping?

1) Flavoring agents - No one knows what happens when a person inhales flavoring agents directly into the lungs for 40 to 60 years.
Scientists can only guess that a small amount of harm will come from this.

2) Throat Hit - Overlooked by almost everyone in vaping AND tobacco control I have a feeling that "throat hit" which is a cute phrase for chronic throat irritation may cause some harm in certain vapers.

So instead of inhaling 8oz worth of eliquid with flavoring a month I'm vaping 1oz worth.

1/8 of 24 = 3

1oz of 24mg/ml nic eliquid is equal in nic to 8oz of 3mg/ml nic eliquid

So I'm not using more nic I am using higher nic eliquid at a much lower rate which equals the same amount of nic that I always use monthly.

I'm now inhaling 7oz less eliquid a month and the unknown harms of vaping will come from the flavorings so I would imagine that I am reducing the harm even further.

Last edited:

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I haven't felt it.

I went from Vaping two 120ml's (8oz) of 3mg/ml a month while carrying around a brick (Holm Wrecker G2 / Boreas RTA) to vaping one 30ml (1oz) of 25mg/ml Salt nic in an Aspire Gusto Mini.

What are the unknown harms ("harms" being less than 5% of the harm smoking causes) of Vaping?

1) Flavoring agents - No one knows what happens when a person inhales flavoring agents directly into the lungs for 40 to 60 years.

2) Throat Hit - Overlooked by almost everyone in vaping AND tobacco control I have a feeling that "throat hit" which is a cute phrase for chronic throat irritation may cause some harm in certain vapers.

So instead of inhaling 8oz worth of eliquid with flavoring a month I'm vaping 1oz worth.

1/8 of 24 = 3

So I'm not using more nic I am using higher nic eliquid at a much lower rate which equals the same amount of nic that I always use monthly.

Since I'm now inhaling 7oz less eliquid a month and the unknown harms of vaping will come from the flavorings so I would imagine that I am reducing the harm even further.
Yeah, I've never understood the logic in cutting nic and then vaping more juice to compensate, which seems to be a trap that many have fallen into.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I heard salts give lung pain.

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, and heat can cause the alveoli in the lungs to lose elasticity temporarily. More nicotine intake than usual can cause a tight chest yeah. But it's not because it's nicotine salts, it's the nicotine itself. I went down from 30mg to 15-20mg because 30mg was leading to a tight chest for me - it was too high for how frequently I vape.

The only nicotine I vape now is nicotine salts - sub ohm (4mg) and mtl (15-20mg)

I vape half or less than I did before switching to salts, depending on whether I mtl or sub ohm/dl more

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't felt it.

1/8 of 24 = 3

I'm now inhaling 7oz less eliquid a month and the unknown harms of vaping will come from the flavorings so I would imagine that I am reducing the harm even further.
Thats just what somone told me. I just bought 250 ml's of 100 mg's of nic salt (HIt Version) from Nicotine River for DIY for my pods systems. Ill find out if they are lieing. It may just be his lungs are bad from smoking for so many years. I also hear good things about it. Somepeople say they cant get off the salts and its the best.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, and heat can cause the alveoli in the lungs to lose elasticity temporarily. More nicotine intake than usual can cause a tight chest yeah. But it's not because it's nicotine salts, it's the nicotine itself. I went down from 30mg to 15-20mg because 30mg was leading to a tight chest for me - it was too high for how frequently I vape.

The only nicotine I vape now is nicotine salts - sub ohm (4mg) and mtl (15-20mg)

I vape half or less than I did before switching to salts, depending on whether I mtl or sub ohm/dl more
Its that good ha? I just bought 100 mg's of nic salts the (HIT) version from Nicotine River. It was 24.99 Im gonna DIY my own salt juice. SO do you add the nicotine exactly like regular nicotine? If so I should be good.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Its that good ha? I just bought 100 mg's of nic salts the (HIT) version from Nicotine River. It was 24.99 Im gonna DIY my own salt juice. SO do you add the nicotine exactly like regular nicotine? If so I should be good.

Oh if you sub ohm with it and use around the same level you normally use in regular nic you will get zero throat hit from 6mg/ml and down.

I get a throat hit but it's just in the morning if I try to take my first few vapes at 25mg/ml salt

I have a mod with a kanger toptank with 3mg/ml regular eliquid that I usually start with in the morning to avoid the throat hit.

I get the throat thing on my first few vapes in the morning even off of the 3mg/ml but it's worse if I start with the 25mg/ml salt

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I forgot to add that I've never had the nic salt hit version from Nicotine River.

I haven't tried DIY with nic salts yet.

I have so much damn regular nic that I almost feel dumb buying any more.:giggle:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
somepeople say they cant get off the salts and its the best.

Maybe he's talking about different salts...jk, sorry lol

Yeah it's just the same to mix in DIY, I have some Hit and I like it better than Nude Nic's Signature, Hit does not have a weird chemical smell like Signature

I get a "sensation" at 4mg, but it's one I like, not the eye watering burn from higher regular nic - I always smoked cheap full flavor cigs, so I like feeling my nicotine I guess

My favorite nic salt base is from liquid nicotine wholesalers, it has a faint tobacco smell before mixing (can't taste though), I got small samples of Hit and Signature from nude nic to try

I forgot to add that I've never had the nic salt hit version from Nicotine River.

I haven't tried DIY with nic salts yet.

I have so much damn regular nic that I almost feel dumb buying any more.:giggle:

Haha, I got a couple bottles of reg nic that have been in my freezer for about 7 months :teehee: small bottles though, I never buy bigger than 4oz nicotine base

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Maybe he's talking about different salts...jk, sorry lol

Yeah it's just the same to mix in DIY, I have some Hit and I like it better than Nude Nic's Signature, Hit does not have a weird chemical smell like Signature

I get a "sensation" at 4mg, but it's one I like, not the eye watering burn from higher regular nic - I always smoked cheap full flavor cigs, so I like feeling my nicotine I guess

My favorite nic salt base is from liquid nicotine wholesalers, it has a faint tobacco smell before mixing (can't taste though), I got small samples of Hit and Signature from nude nic to try

Haha, I got a couple bottles of reg nic that have been in my freezer for about 7 months :teehee: small bottles though, I never buy bigger than 4oz nicotine base

I have 2 liters in the big freezer and maybe around 6oz in my mini fridge's freezer.

I freaked out while reading my own news and media posts:facepalm:

The was one of those $ per nic amount taxes that was being proposed up North so I did the math and figured out that at what they wanted to charge a liter of 100mg/ml nic would have over $1000 tax on it.

Then I thought about how free revenue (taxes) streams that work in one state will surely be implemented in other states.
I was paranoid thinking it was just a matter of time.
It IS just a matter of time before you'll have to have some kind of goofy ass license or something to buy or sell nic or some kind of massive tax.

I should have held off until today though.
Then I wouldn't have 2 liters of old nic in the freezer:facepalm:

The bill didn't pass but it was enough to make me flip out a little.:giggle:

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I should have held off until today though.
Then I wouldn't have 2 liters of old nic in the freezer
There's nothing wrong with old nic if it's been kept in the freezer, and if you really prefer salts now, you can always make them from the nic you have if that should become necessary.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's nothing wrong with old nic if it's been kept in the freezer, and if you really prefer salts now, you can always make them from the nic you have if that should become necessary.
how do you make salt nic?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Took me a while... trunic's site is frequently down or has a virus my phone nor computer will let me access and their FB page has two posts over the past few years so I have moved on from them.

I ordered samples of signature and smooth from NN and will be driving up to Nic Riv later today to grab a $9 bottle of their smooth salt nic to give them a go too.

VU Sponsors