jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I posted in another thread that I would comment / share my personal test with Nic Salts. These are my personal views and may be different for others or with different nic suppliers.

My order from NicRiver came in so I wanted to share, still waiting on a past due order from Nude Nicotine.

I mixed up 6 batches (10ml) of 30/70 w/ 60mg PG Nic Base (Salt & FreeBase) and tested in the order below. I even went as far to go up to 9mg which is 3X what I am a used to (3mg), just to compare (on peerless RDA .2 single coil). Did new half wicks for each sample (six total).

3mg Nic
FreeBase: I am used to this chain vape it all day long, it was relatively smooth. Pretty smooth inhale, on the exhale I can pick up on the nic a little (which I did not know until this test).

Salt: I was shocked I thought my 3mg Freebase was smooth, its not but this salt is!. After this I was thinking maybe its just better quality nic in general or I did not mix the bottle up good or maybe had a hot spot in my 3mg freebase. I did not taste or pic up on any throat hit with this salt, exhale was clearly different than the freebase. The nic felt like my 3mg freebase after a few good rips, but had zero throat hit.

6mg Nic
FreeBase: I could start to taste/sense it on inhale and exhale it was even harsher and I knew I was getting a nic level I am not used to, but I could keep vaping it-I just did not care to.

Salt: Again no taste, it was water smooth. On the first inhale I really was expecting some of that nic throat hit, or for sure on exhale-maybe even some taste but nothing. I could feel the nicotine, it hit different it was quicker than freebase. But it was enjoyable, I could and did continue to easily vape it.

9mg Nic

FreeBase: I was not looking forward to this one. The throat hit was too much for me, first pull I was coughing and could barely take it. I pushed through and keep going, the nic hit and I could tell this was far from what I can handle or enjoy. The nic felt compounded and slowly increasing until I felt sea sick and dizzy. I started to reminisce of that young teenager I once was having a first cig I wanted to yack. Let the nic settle and tried again two pulls and I was done, no more not even for testing I knew enough. I was happy to put this one down, could not get the cotton out of that coil fast enough.

Salt: At this point I just knew I would get at least some throat hit or even small unpleasantness taste/sensation. Honestly I was kinda tired of nicotine at this point from the 9mg freebase test. Well I painted my new half wick again and off I went, took a pull and exhaled. Shock set in, nothing no throat hit, no off taste just PG/VG taste. Took two more and the nic hit and hit hard but I could not taste or pic up on it in anyway. The throat hit was no different than the 3mg salt test. I wanted to keep vaping it because it was so damn smooth, even though the nic was higher than I am used to I could easily take smaller pulls. So for the next few minutes I took them off and on smooth, smooth, smooth! Way above my nic level but was easily able to be vaped, just not chain vape like I do with my 3mg freebase.

Summary: I am already sold, will never go back to FreeBase nic as long as I have the option. I know some enjoy that throat hit and different salts can be purchased, but this may not be for everyone. For me personally I wish I tried this a long time ago. The worst part is I no longer want any of the premade juice I have mixed up with my freebase. Mixing is identical to freebase (percents/ratios).
If you are looking for zero to little throat hit at your current levels, the option to increase your nic, mix up something strong for quick nic fix that can actually be vaped, or help bringing out flavors I could really see this being a huge ace in the hole.

Sorry for the long rant on this... I came close to getting sick on this, but I hope it helps others in some way. I am off to mix up something with flavor using these new salts.

Happy Vaping :cloud:

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks for the review/comparison. You have me wanting to pick up some nic salts even though I have close to two liters of freebase out in the freezer.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I posted in another thread that I would comment / share my personal test with Nic Salts. These are my personal views and may be different for others or with different nic suppliers.

My order from NicRiver came in so I wanted to share, still waiting on a past due order from Nude Nicotine.

I mixed up 6 batches (10ml) of 30/70 w/ 60mg PG Nic Base (Salt & FreeBase) and tested in the order below. I even went as far to go up to 9mg which is 3X what I am a used to (3mg), just to compare (on peerless RDA .2 single coil). Did new half wicks for each sample (six total).

3mg Nic
FreeBase: I am used to this chain vape it all day long, it was relatively smooth. Pretty smooth inhale, on the exhale I can pick up on the nic a little (which I did not know until this test).

Salt: I was shocked I thought my 3mg Freebase was smooth, its not but this salt is!. After this I was thinking maybe its just better quality nic in general or I did not mix the bottle up good or maybe had a hot spot in my 3mg freebase. I did not taste or pic up on any throat hit with this salt, exhale was clearly different than the freebase. The nic felt like my 3mg freebase after a few good rips, but had zero throat hit.

6mg Nic
FreeBase: I could start to taste/sense it on inhale and exhale it was even harsher and I knew I was getting a nic level I am not used to, but I could keep vaping it-I just did not care to.

Salt: Again no taste, it was water smooth. On the first inhale I really was expecting some of that nic throat hit, or for sure on exhale-maybe even some taste but nothing. I could feel the nicotine, it hit different it was quicker than freebase. But it was enjoyable, I could and did continue to easily vape it.

9mg Nic

FreeBase: I was not looking forward to this one. The throat hit was too much for me, first pull I was coughing and could barely take it. I pushed through and keep going, the nic hit and I could tell this was far from what I can handle or enjoy. The nic felt compounded and slowly increasing until I felt sea sick and dizzy. I started to reminisce of that young teenager I once was having a first cig I wanted to yack. Let the nic settle and tried again two pulls and I was done, no more not even for testing I knew enough. I was happy to put this one down, could not get the cotton out of that coil fast enough.

Salt: At this point I just knew I would get at least some throat hit or even small unpleasantness taste/sensation. Honestly I was kinda tired of nicotine at this point from the 9mg freebase test. Well I painted my new half wick again and off I went, took a pull and exhaled. Shock set in, nothing no throat hit, no off taste just PG/VG taste. Took two more and the nic hit and hit hard but I could not taste or pic up on it in anyway. The throat hit was no different than the 3mg salt test. I wanted to keep vaping it because it was so damn smooth, even though the nic was higher than I am used to I could easily take smaller pulls. So for the next few minutes I took them off and on smooth, smooth, smooth! Way above my nic level but was easily able to be vaped, just not chain vape like I do with my 3mg freebase.

Summary: I am already sold, will never go back to FreeBase nic as long as I have the option. I know some enjoy that throat hit and different salts can be purchased, but this may not be for everyone. For me personally I wish I tried this a long time ago. The worst part is I no longer want any of the premade juice I have mixed up with my freebase. Mixing is identical to freebase (percents/ratios).
If you are looking for zero to little throat hit at your current levels, the option to increase your nic, mix up something strong for quick nic fix that can actually be vaped, or help bringing out flavors I could really see this being a huge ace in the hole.

Sorry for the long rant on this... I came close to getting sick on this, but I hope it helps others in some way. I am off to mix up something with flavor using these new salts.

Happy Vaping :cloud:

You should test these again with a fresh throat - after 6mg and 9mg nicotine, a lesser throat hit would be hard to notice because your throat would be in shock, so to speak

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the write up!

It would be great if you could also do a test of some recipes you're very familiar with. I'd be curious to know if flavor percentages need to be changed when moving from freebase to nic salts. For some reason I seem to remember reading somewhere that people have needed to up the flavor percentages when using nic salts, but I'm not really sure, and that's the big question I'd have when considering whether to switch to nic salts.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the review/comparison. You have me wanting to pick up some nic salts even though I have close to two liters of freebase out in the freezer.
My thoughts as well, although I have a lot more nicotine base in my freezer. :)

VU Sponsors