Become a Patron!

Nicotine VS Non-Nicotine...?

Hey guys, new guy here, names John. I'm 18, have vaped on and off for the past year. Im looking to purchase a new vape after a few months of not doing it, mostly due to finances. I'll be straight up, I vape mostly because I love the flavor and just plain enjoy it. I have typically always used 0 nicotine, simply because I don't have a need for it. Recently I have read about certain health risks associated with vaping, but It seems like the risks are always associated with nicotine juice. Is there any virtual risk with 0 mg juice? Is there a certain PG/VG blend that is safer then the other? Inform me please! Thanks!

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To the best of my knowledge, most 'health risks' from nicotine are false and based on studies of cigarettes in general. The risks come from the tar and thousands of other chemicals that cigarettes contain, not from the nicotine itself. Studies have been done on nicotine alone and found that by itself it is only very mildly addictive, possibly even less then caffeine and may actually have several health benefits. Such as decreasing the risk of altimeters disease and other medical problems.

That being said, I don't think either has any real risks unless the user is careless. It might just be a personal choice option, like caffeinated coffee vs decaffeinated coffee. Neither one has any negative health effects (assuming the caffeinated one is used in moderation and there are no other medical problems).

But, there also isn't a real reason to start it if you've never used it. Most people use it as a way to quit cigarettes, slowly reducing their intake until they eliminate it completely and only use zero nicotine juice.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys, I appreciate it. I don't plan to start nicotine, the 1 or 2 times that I've tried it, it wasn't a favorable experience. However, what about the recent claims that if the e-juice is heated at a high enough temp, that the vapor could turn carcinogenic? The vape I have my eyes on cannot be adjusted for voltage or anything, so I would assume that the lower end models wouldn't be able to get all that hot? Thanks again

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree. While I think the health risks are minimal, if you don't need nicotine why take the risk? In fact, I have a 17 1/2 year old, and my advice to her is why take any risks from vaping? Of course as a 40-year previous smoker, for me it's harm reduction. If my daughter was smoking I would for sure prefer her to vape. But as a non smoker altogether - why put anything into your lungs?

Just my 02cents worth. It's certainly better than smoking.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey thanks guys, I appreciate it. I don't plan to start nicotine, the 1 or 2 times that I've tried it, it wasn't a favorable experience. However, what about the recent claims that if the e-juice is heated at a high enough temp, that the vapor could turn carcinogenic? The vape I have my eyes on cannot be adjusted for voltage or anything, so I would assume that the lower end models wouldn't be able to get all that hot? Thanks again

You put out 4.2v on a freshly charged battery...Any studies showing anything of "said harms" or "harmful substance" were at over 5 volts on a crappy cigarette like device.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
However, what about the recent claims that if the e-juice is heated at a high enough temp, that the vapor could turn carcinogenic?
If your referring to the formaldehyde studies, they dry burnt the coil due to over use. Ever had a dry hit? Tastes horrible.

But, despite that, while formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, it isn't nearly as bad as it is made out to be. Most (if not all, I can't find the long term cancer study on it that I had read) of the known cases of cancer caused by it took place in factories where people worked with industrial strength quantities of it on a daily bases for years. Outside of that, formaldehyde is actually a necessary chemical, your body produces it to aid in digesting fruits and vegetables. Tests on rats, chimps *and* humans have shown that inhaling it does not change the levels already present in the blood because it gets metabolized as soon as it comes into contact with the lining of the throat and lungs.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anything harmful introduced into the lungs has an effect. Pollution is a Hell of a lot more harmful than vaping. The levels of shit in the air in big cities would blow most peoples minds.

VU Sponsors