Become a Patron!

Njord RDA by Morten Oen

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Morten posted a follow up vid where he had the prototype in his hands a few days ago. He seemed to enjoy it and it will at least not be 'the same' as every other rda out there so ...why not.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
1926ec682a42bd1b0a8b28552f7e3fa1.jpg

If this doesn’t scream bandaid then idk what would.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
plastic looks pretty close to that coil:huh:

So was this supposed to come out with the rda or was it an afterthought after reviewer feedback to get air hitting the coil better?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
heh. Yeah.. That's almost chinee-thinking right there..
Now, admittedly: that would certainly restrict the chamber space and that would definitely improve the taste.

Oh, and yeah: I wonder how that plastic tastes.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
plastic looks pretty close to that coil:huh:

So was this supposed to come out with the rda or was it an afterthought after reviewer feedback to get air hitting the coil better?

They said it was supposed to come with it but didn’t give it to reviewers so China couldn’t clone it lmfao....

If this really was the case then Oen would have been mentioning it the whole time. ALSO.... how are the reviewers supposed to have an opinion on a device that supposedly needs another piece to work and they don’t have it.... An RDA should not need a whole other piece just to make it function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
They said it was supposed to come with it but didn’t give it to reviewers so China couldn’t clone it lmfao....

If this really was the case then Oen would have been mentioning it the whole time. ALSO.... how are the reviewers supposed to have an opinion on a device that supposedly needs another piece to work and they don’t have it.... An RDA should not need a whole other piece just to make it function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like a quick adaptation to me ...mind you if they work, they work, it doesn’t matter what it looks like with the cap on although I still reckon it’s dodgy with plastic that close to the coil

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
At least they addressed the problem even tho it was after the fact. This will definitely direct the airflow towards the coil to mix with the vapor.

I hope the people that have bought the Njord enjoy it. I'll kindly take a pass. There are plenty of attys out there that interest me much more.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
looks like a quick adaptation to me ...mind you if they work, they work, it doesn’t matter what it looks like with the cap on although I still reckon it’s dodgy with plastic that close to the coil

It was a quick adaptation in response the reception it had been getting. Morten left a comment on his vid that there was nothing wrong with the RDA and that Atom decided to release the blades to try to please everyone.

uansari1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Stupidity. All they had to do was make a smaller chambered atomizer if flavor was their priority. Maybe one that is super narrow (12-16mm diameter) and taller made only for a single vertical coil...problem solved.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
He is a know it all. He likes to talk so highly about pounding your own flat wire. That's cool and all, but the guy is the dreaded 1 upper. His way will always be the best way. And I guess that's alright, except his vape info is extremely inaccurate.

I would have much preferred hearing good things than bad because I don't give a fuck about none of the reviewers. There all PROFIT, biased, even when they claim not to be. That being said, id much rather good products be added into the Vaping Gene pool then crappy ones.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Thought I would drop this in here to get some thoughts on this video. A few things about this video just don't jive.

1) obviously the scale and materials are way off from that of an rda. There is much less vacuum being created in that oversized cardboard experiment than what's actually being created in a 24mm rda.

2) Vapor is more dense than air as we can see exhaled vapor ( comprised mostly of VG which we know to be heavy) slowly drop to the floor after exhale. So seeing as how vaporized air is heavier than non-vaporized air, it makes sense that incoming vaporized air would take a less direct path to the source of the vacuum ( drip tip) than just air would.

3) if Oen's experiment was true. Then why are most reviewers complaining about muted flavor in the Njord? Why did Atom vapes scramble to make a contraption that would direct airflow to the centered coil to get more flavor? Because not enough of the incoming air is directly hitting the coil to mix with the vapor and thus a muted flavor. But according to Oen's experiment that's not case and the contraption made by Atom vapes shouldn't be necessary. o_O

But Oen's YouTube cult followers are too blind to see...
Praise_3794c1_654754.jpg

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He apparently is into a "cold vape", (several videos claim so), and he entirely skips the entire idea of "scale effect", (ala' model-making). Atop that, (as I mentioned), he doesn't use a vac-gauge any more than anyone else I've ever seen touting vaping gear. I give him points for his transparency, but - he is definitely in the "knothead" section.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Thought I would drop this in here to get some thoughts on this video. A few things about this video just don't jive.

1) obviously the scale and materials are way off from that of an rda. There is much less vacuum being created in that oversized cardboard experiment than what's actually being created in a 24mm rda.

2) Vapor is more dense than air as we can see exhaled vapor ( comprised mostly of VG which we know to be heavy) slowly drop to the floor after exhale. So seeing as how vaporized air is heavier than non-vaporized air, it makes sense that incoming vaporized air would take a less direct path to the source of the vacuum ( drip tip) than just air would.

3) if Oen's experiment was true. Then why are most reviewers complaining about muted flavor in the Njord? Why did Atom vapes scramble to make a contraption that would direct airflow to the centered coil to get more flavor? Because not enough of the incoming air is directly hitting the coil to mix with the vapor and thus a muted flavor. But according to Oen's experiment that's not case and the contraption made by Atom vapes shouldn't be necessary. o_O

View attachment 110337

Why didnt Atom Vapes taste thier own contraption as well? I dont beleive for a second they wouldnt have done thier own taste testing once the designer says its good to go

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Why didnt Atom Vapes taste thier own contraption as well? I dont beleive for a second they wouldnt have done thier own taste testing once the designer says its good to go
Yeah, both sides are telling somewhat different stories. According Oen he never got a final version before it went into production and passed on to reviewers which are find hard to believe. Like you, I find it hard to believe it didn't get his approval and that Atom vaped didn't test it themselves. Somebody is lying... probably both sides trying to save their own asses after the bad feedback.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I’m waiting for turtles to give his feedback

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, both sides are telling somewhat different stories. According Oen he never got a final version before it went into production and passed on to reviewers which are find hard to believe. Like you, I find it hard to believe it didn't get his approval and that Atom vaped didn't test it themselves. Somebody is lying... probably both sides trying to save their own asses after the bad feedback.

He may have not got it before it was passed to reviewers, but he left a comment on one of his vids that there was nothing wrong with the RDAs that were released. The complaint wasn't about how the RDA functioned, but about the paint and finish applied to the RDA.

The company is trying not to have a complete financial failure by addressing complaints and Oen is trying to save face by saying there is nothing wrong with the design and most people just don't get it.

He reminds me of watching Sci-Fi movies, they explain some cool futuristic tech and it sounds plausible, but in reality that's not how the science works. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'm sure he could do wonders with F1 racing or Ferrari to make their cars more aerodynamic, since they are probably doing it wrong.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
He is a know it all. He likes to talk so highly about pounding your own flat wire. That's cool and all, but the guy is the dreaded 1 upper. His way will always be the best way. And I guess that's alright, except his vape info is extremely inaccurate.

I would have much preferred hearing good things than bad because I don't give a fuck about none of the reviewers. There all PROFIT, biased, even when they claim not to be. That being said, id much rather good products be added into the Vaping Gene pool then crappy ones.

I haven't tried his Njord so all you'll probably hear from me about it is just silence, but seriously I don't think he is a know it all. For one, his experiment videos about airflow clearly demonstrate the simple fact that air does NOT take the shortest route after it enters the chamber via the air holes. In fact I already knew about the existence of a science called aerodynamics around the time when I was still only 8 years old because I had read books that contained pictures of wind tunnels nobody would have been needing if indeed it were true that air always takes the shortest route. So nope, a more compact chamber does not necessarily always dilute the vapor (and flavor).

After a (horizontal) flow of air passes through the (side) air holes, for the most part, the air tends to continue to fly horizontally for a certain period of time before it can start to move upwards. The higher the velocity at which the air passes through the air holes, the longer it takes before the main part of this flow starts changing direction, so the farther it continues to move horizontally before it finally turns and rises up. That is, assuming there are no solid obstacles to interfere with this airflow until after it has reached the coil(s). The air speed is part determined by the magnitude of the difference between the air pressure on the inside of the chamber and the air pressure in the air surrounding the air holes on the outside of the chamber.

When dealing with the air pressure, two primary factors are at play. One is the size of the air hole(s), or their combined size if multiple air holes are used, i.e., smaller holes allow a higher air velocity to be attained, as the restriction they provide helps to keep up the difference in air pressure that I mentioned previously─albeit smaller holes create narrower flows of air. The other factor is determined by how hard you suck, and, both of these two factors have to be tuned in such a way that they can work in tandem with each other optimally and in such a way that the dimensions and the positioning of the coil(s) get taken properly into account in addition to all that.

Finally, in each and every one of my side airflow RDAs I have been positioning my coils at the same height as the air holes AND have been using tighter wicks compared to how most people wick their RDAs, already for more than a whole year so... I was already doing that long before Morten Oen started posting his videos about these particular subjects, and I currently still am, why? It's because I prefer to vape the way I prefer to vape instead of the way someone else prefers to vape. There is a name for people who disagree with me on that last part. It's called kommunism.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He may have not got it before it was passed to reviewers, but he left a comment on one of his vids that there was nothing wrong with the RDAs that were released. The complaint wasn't about how the RDA functioned, but about the paint and finish applied to the RDA.

The company is trying not to have a complete financial failure by addressing complaints and Oen is trying to save face by saying there is nothing wrong with the design and most people just don't get it.

He reminds me of watching Sci-Fi movies, they explain some cool futuristic tech and it sounds plausible, but in reality that's not how the science works. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'm sure he could do wonders with F1 racing or Ferrari to make their cars more aerodynamic, since they are probably doing it wrong.

I wonder how many would they produce in the first run? You'd think these companies would learn to make the first run small, then ramp it up if it's a hit.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many defunct companies learned that while the customer isn't always right, they are always the customer.
If I "Don't get it", its a failed design.
at this point it isn't simpley Oen...now several of his reviewer buddies who've been running interference for him are trying to save face.They find themselves in the position of having to be as brutal on their reviewes of the njord as they would on any other atty, or lose credibility as a bunch of fucking corrupted toads covering each others asses who shill whatever chinese shit they are paid to shill.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I haven't tried his Njord so all you'll probably hear from me about it is just silence, but seriously I don't think he is a know it all. For one, his experiment videos about airflow clearly demonstrate the simple fact that air does NOT take the shortest route after it enters the chamber via the air holes. In fact I already knew about the existence of a science called aerodynamics around the time when I was still only 8 years old because I had read books that contained pictures of wind tunnels nobody would have been needing if indeed it were true that air always takes the shortest route. So nope, a more compact chamber does not necessarily always dilute the vapor (and flavor).

After a (horizontal) flow of air passes through the (side) air holes, for the most part, the air tends to continue to fly horizontally for a certain period of time before it can start to move upwards. The higher the velocity at which the air passes through the air holes, the longer it takes before the main part of this flow starts changing direction, so the farther it continues to move horizontally before it finally turns and rises up. That is, assuming there are no solid obstacles to interfere with this airflow until after it has reached the coil(s). The air speed is part determined by the magnitude of the difference between the air pressure on the inside of the chamber and the air pressure in the air surrounding the air holes on the outside of the chamber.

When dealing with the air pressure, two primary factors are at play. One is the size of the air hole(s), or their combined size if multiple air holes are used, i.e., smaller holes allow a higher air velocity to be attained, as the restriction they provide helps to keep up the difference in air pressure that I mentioned previously─albeit smaller holes create narrower flows of air. The other factor is determined by how hard you suck, and, both of these two factors have to be tuned in such a way that they can work in tandem with each other optimally and in such a way that the dimensions and the positioning of the coil(s) get taken properly into account in addition to all that.

Finally, in each and every one of my side airflow RDAs I have been positioning my coils at the same height as the air holes AND have been using tighter wicks compared to how most people wick their RDAs, already for more than a whole year so... I was already doing that long before Morten Oen started posting his videos about these particular subjects, and I currently still am, why? It's because I prefer to vape the way I prefer to vape instead of the way someone else prefers to vape. There is a name for people who disagree with me on that last part. It's called kommunism.
You may not find him a know it all, and proclaimed master of airflow, but I'm going to stick with my opinion.

That being said, I still respect your point of view. Your right, I don't believe a thing any of these "reviewers" say. Look at the atty Jai put out. There were some people saying it was not all that great and definitely didn't warrant the price.

To me, this seems like some revenge shit. I have never seen so many people rip an RDA apart like he got. He did something to piss some very important players in the vape game off to get that kind of backlash.

Think about it... The maze, or the ncr were probably 10 times worse than his dripper. Those didn't get nearly the backlash that the njord has... And the ncr has actually been proven to emit some pretty scary stuff.

This is my opinion, CARAMBr I respect your view as well. I haven't tried it, and I don't have money to waist on a maybe. And that I'm is the shittiest thing to do to a person's personal dripper. The guy pissed someone high up there off. The only reviewer that said it was decent was Sherlock hohms video " they lied". That brings me to the next question and the highest probability of the truth.. why would ever single reviewer except Sherlock ( Sherlock I don't think has any ties to vape and atty making) say it's that bad...

Because they got paid to. It's a racket.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
This drippers only sales will be people who have money to waist and want to see if it's really that bad. That is what I meant to say. Imo that's the worst thing you can do to someone in this industry is make them obsolete.

This industry relies heavily on personal opinion and subjective pros and cons.

It's extremely easy to see. The powers that be in this industry had to have some feathers ruffled. Oen put down one to many attys.

The RDA it's honestly probably alright. I don't like dedicated vert attys. Vert AF is extremely hard to get right. If it was me, id definitely not ride on making a vert dripper to debut a new relationship with a company.

I don't know, I don't follow Mortty very much. I've grown to hate and despise these reviewers. There all paid to peddle this stuff.

When YouTubeing for attys I 99% of the time fast forward to see:

A. What the deck looks like
B. Airflow
C. Size and coil configuration
D. A shot of inside the barrel and top cap.

Other than that, I don't buy into all those advertisements. I lucked out getting the dead rabbit.

I VALUE your guy's opinions on vape gear FAR F@R far.. way way way more than any of these bozo ass reviewers.

There place to get unadulterated, honest, reviews is on the vape forums.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder how many would they produce in the first run? You'd think these companies would learn to make the first run small, then ramp it up if it's a hit.

It's a balancing act, if the first run is small and sells out quick people may not wait for the next run and they miss out on those potential sales. With so many new products being introduced, a lot of people will just get distracted by the next "hot" thing. There's probably also production costs involved in waiting to see if another run is warranted or retool and move on. I'm sure a lot of how much is produced in the first run is gauged by pre-sale totals.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor

View attachment 110337

Here's another problem with the con man's experiment. He says that the outer atmospheric pressure is higher than the inner chamber pressure of the RDA. If you look at an 810 drip tip it's wide open and the difference between the inner and outer pressures would be negligible at best. That doesn't even matter. If you ever watch the con man vape the first thing he does before he inhales is purge the RDA. That negates any effects of outer pressure and puts positive pressure into the RDA before a vacuum is caused. Flow follows the path of least resistance.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's another problem with the con man's experiment. He says that the outer atmospheric pressure is higher than the inner chamber pressure of the RDA. If you look at an 810 drip tip it's wide open and the difference between the inner and outer pressures would be negligible at best. That doesn't even matter. If you ever watch the con man vape the first thing he does before he inhales is purge the RDA. That negates any effects of outer pressure and puts positive pressure into the RDA before a vacuum is caused. Flow follows the path of least resistance.
Agreed. One of the first things I learned years ago when I took an HVAC course is air takes the path of least resistance.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You may not find him a know it all, and proclaimed master of airflow, but I'm going to stick with my opinion.

That being said, I still respect your point of view. Your right, I don't believe a thing any of these "reviewers" say. Look at the atty Jai put out. There were some people saying it was not all that great and definitely didn't warrant the price.

To me, this seems like some revenge shit. I have never seen so many people rip an RDA apart like he got. He did something to piss some very important players in the vape game off to get that kind of backlash.

Think about it... The maze, or the ncr were probably 10 times worse than his dripper. Those didn't get nearly the backlash that the njord has... And the ncr has actually been proven to emit some pretty scary stuff.

This is my opinion, CARAMBr I respect your view as well. I haven't tried it, and I don't have money to waist on a maybe. And that I'm is the shittiest thing to do to a person's personal dripper. The guy pissed someone high up there off. The only reviewer that said it was decent was Sherlock hohms video " they lied". That brings me to the next question and the highest probability of the truth.. why would ever single reviewer except Sherlock ( Sherlock I don't think has any ties to vape and atty making) say it's that bad...

Because they got paid to. It's a racket.

That's not what I was trying to say. My point was Morten Oen used to think the same as Daniel (DJLsb Vapes), i.e., he used to think the air takes the shortest route. But Morten Oen grabbed a camera and filmed it, which is how he learned that it doesn't take the shortest route. That is, not unless people want to argue that his camera must have been seriously malfunctioning. (Flat Earth Society, anyone?) So both people were wrong, and, Morten Oen admitted he was wrong after his camera footage amazingly very clearly showed that he was wrong, which, whether you like it or not, makes Morten Oen a genuine mythbuster instead of a know it all, as in this particular instance it was Daniel, not Morten, who failed to admit his mistake. That's simply because a busted myth is busted. Regardless of whether we feel that Morten's RDA is shit. What's funny, though, is that anyone with even just a basic understanding about the science of aerodynamics could have told you the air doesn't take the shortest route. Simple high school physics is all.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This drippers only sales will be people who have money to waist and want to see if it's really that bad. That is what I meant to say. Imo that's the worst thing you can do to someone in this industry is make them obsolete.

This industry relies heavily on personal opinion and subjective pros and cons.

It's extremely easy to see. The powers that be in this industry had to have some feathers ruffled. Oen put down one to many attys.

The RDA it's honestly probably alright. I don't like dedicated vert attys. Vert AF is extremely hard to get right. If it was me, id definitely not ride on making a vert dripper to debut a new relationship with a company.

I don't know, I don't follow Mortty very much. I've grown to hate and despise these reviewers. There all paid to peddle this stuff.

When YouTubeing for attys I 99% of the time fast forward to see:

A. What the deck looks like
B. Airflow
C. Size and coil configuration
D. A shot of inside the barrel and top cap.

Other than that, I don't buy into all those advertisements. I lucked out getting the dead rabbit.

I VALUE your guy's opinions on vape gear FAR F@R far.. way way way more than any of these bozo ass reviewers.

There place to get unadulterated, honest, reviews is on the vape forums.

I look for the same things as you. Putting aside my preference of top airflow rtas because of their " leak proof " design... what matters most to me when looking at any rebuildable is the position of the coil in relation to the air inlet and outlet. For me the coil has to sit directly between the two to get the best flavor.

As the Njord currently sits, it's as useful as trying to get a dried up turd to stink on a hot day due to the 2.5mm coil sitting adjacent to the inlet and outlet. It's just too far away from the inlet. However, I'd bet that flavor comes to life once the insert is in place because now the air inlet will sit much closer to the coil. Hell, I'd bet the Njord will produce good flavor with that insert and perhaps better than good.;)

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I look for the same things as you. Putting aside my preference of top airflow rtas because of their " leak proof " design... what matters most to me when looking at any rebuildable is the position of the coil in relation to the air inlet and outlet. For me the coil has to sit directly between the two to get the best flavor.

As the Njord currently sits, it's as useful as trying to get a dried up turd to stink on a hot day due to the 2.5mm coil sitting adjacent to the inlet and outlet. It's just too far away from the inlet. However, I'd bet that flavor comes to life once the insert is in place because now the air inlet will sit much closer to the coil. Hell, I'd bet the Njord will produce good flavor with that insert and perhaps better than good.;)
I agree totally.

And CARAMBr I know that wasn't your point bro. I was trying to make my own point.

It was a set up from the very beginning to get oen labled the secret words. The powers to be wanted him labled crazy.

Like I said, in my opinion I believe him to be kind of a know it all. Yes I do. I think what happens inside of an atty is an entire science because of fluctuation vacuum pressure, places of even extremely minute air leakage will play very amplified roles in airflow. I admit, I don't know much, but I had been blessed with a good head on my shoulders.

Have a good one. Again I wasn't attacking you.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree totally.

And CARAMBr I know that wasn't your point bro. I was trying to make my own point.

It was a set up from the very beginning to get oen labled the secret words. The powers to be wanted him labled crazy.

Like I said, in my opinion I believe him to be kind of a know it all. Yes I do. I think what happens inside of an atty is an entire science because of fluctuation vacuum pressure, places of even extremely minute air leakage will play very amplified roles in airflow. I admit, I don't know much, but I had been blessed with a good head on my shoulders.

Have a good one. Again I wasn't attacking you.

I know you weren't attacking me. I just wanted to point out that the fact the air doesn't take the shortest route is nobody's point of view... it's just the way mother nature behaves, similar to the fact the Earth is round is also just the way mother nature behaves, excepting to those who insist the Earth is flat (e.g., DJLsb Vapes, and @Don29palms ).

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I know you weren't attacking me. I just wanted to point out that the fact the air doesn't take the shortest route is nobody's point of view... it's just the way mother nature behaves, similar to the fact the Earth is round is also just the way mother nature behaves, excepting to those who insist the Earth is flat (e.g., DJLsb Vapes, and @Don29palms ).
You need to learn to read and comprehend english. I've never said anything about shortest route. And as far as your con man is concerned his experiments are extremely flawed.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You need to learn to read and comprehend english. I've never said anything about shortest route. And as far as your con man is concerned his experiments are extremely flawed.
You need to learn to read and comprehend English. I've never said you said something about shortest route. Just that you talk like you're a member of the Flat Earth Society. It's that obvious the fact sucking on the RDA is what causes the underpressure Morten has been referring to.

Maybe Oen will rave about it? <shrug> They can design the top cap to fit w/o a huge deal of fuss and ditch the plastic.
If they had thought of these air blades from the beginning, it would've been incorporated in the original design in metal.
I'm sure it's heat proof, there are lots of "plastic" drip tips that are sitting just as close to the coil so I'm not expecting any issues there. The coil is not heating up until it glows with these plastic pieces in between.

Thumbs up for fixing the problem (still need to see a re-review to believe it) but a big thumbs down on the overall design and the way they went about it. I doubt many people are going to pay for an RDA that makes your tobacco's and vanilla juices taste like a room temperature lemon (to paraphrase Oen in his follow-up video).

VU Sponsors