Become a Patron!

No liquid getting to coil

Hi I needed some help with my smok alien 220w. I got it about 2 weeks ago and for the first week every thing worked perfect. The it started tasting burnt so I switched out the coil. I read up on it online and did everything it said to do. Primed it before I put it in and then left it set for 30 min, then started at a really low wattage and worked my way up to my usual 21 watts. From the first hit it tasted burnt and there was no sizzle and pop sound that it made before. I have gone through 5 coil with the same thing happen. It sounds like it's not getting any fluid to the coil. Can any one help with this? I'm using 40/60 pg fluid I believe

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Assuming you're using the Baby or Big Baby tank, none of the coils are going to vape for shit @21W. I believe the lowest recommended wattage for any of them is 35-40W. Personally, I've found they all work best for me at 50W+.

Try this if you want:
Prime the coil until it will no longer absorb more juice.
Assemble the tank and fill with juice.
Do not close topcap.
Set power to 25W.
Fire the mod until you hear the sizzle; should only take a second.
Close topcap.
Take a draw @25W with airflow wide open.
Take successive draws at increases of 5W, until you get a good vape. If you need to close down the airflow for a more restrictive hit, do so now. You may then need to lower the power to reduce the heat of the vape, or you may not. Just depends on your taste at this point.

If you're still getting dry and/burnt hits, you may have gotten some defective coils.

Also, do not attempt to use SMOK coils in Temp Mode. Only the casing of the coil is stainless steel, not the heating element itself. Stick to Watt Mode.

Hope this helps.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also, do not attempt to use SMOK coils in Temp Mode. Only the casing of the coil is stainless steel, not the heating element itself. Stick to Watt Mode.

Wow! Quite some expert advice, and from the reading quite some experienced advice as well. :)

To me it seems odd any company would use coated wires for coils. Then, I'm sure there is likely
plenty of adequate professional and highly educated rationale for doing so, which eludes my humble
intellect and mentality. ;)

I do not use such a tank and rarely now use any regulated mod. That noted, I have used regulated mods and tanks in the past. From that experience, I can read @gakudzu 's advice here and see that is quite sound and as I say above. If I were facing such adversities, this advice to me would hold merit and warrant attempting. @gakudzu in my experience seems to consistently offer such worthy and valuable advice.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wow! Quite some expert advice, and from the reading quite some experienced advice as well. :)

To me it seems odd any company would use coated wires for coils. Then, I'm sure there is likely
plenty of adequate professional and highly educated rationale for doing so, which eludes my humble
intellect and mentality. ;)

I do not use such a tank and rarely now use any regulated mod. That noted, I have used regulated mods and tanks in the past. From that experience, I can read @gakudzu 's advice here and see that is quite sound and as I say above. If I were facing such adversities, this advice to me would hold merit and warrant attempting. @gakudzu in my experience seems to consistently offer such worthy and valuable advice.
Thank you for the kind words and vote of confidence, good sir :cheers:

Why SMOK(and others) chooses to be unclear and confusing with their coil descriptions is beyond me. And then there are those companies who make SS coils for temp control, but use Ni for the coil legs. WTF? It's no wonder new vapers have such a hard time figuring things out and getting a good vape.

I'm just lucky and happy to be a part of the VU fam:inlove:

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I'm just getting defective coils. Cause even after leaving them over night I'll get one maybe 2 wet hits (still tastes pretty bad) and then the rest r dry (no sizzle, just a small hissing sound). And progressively burnt taste. I tried priming it till it wouldn't take any more juice and leaving the cap open for a second and same thing happend. Could it be a faulty tank or mod? Or just a bunch of crap coils? Using it in watt mode btw and never going above 23 watts. Also I've tried 3 different types of coil. The single coil the double coil and the quad coil and they all burn up from the first hit

It just seems like there is absolutely no juice getting through the wick to the coil no matter what coil I use and the more coils in the core the less juice it gets

VU Sponsors