No start conversation option

Discussion in 'Forum Help & How To - Member Submitted' started by AvaOrchid, Jan 8, 2020.

1. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    So I'm extremely confused I cannot start a conversation either by clicking on someone's icon or by going to the private messages area and pressing start a conversation it's just gone. I have used the feature before so I know that I used to have it available but it is now gone. Can someone please help me figure out how or who to contact to restore my pm ability? I'm not very tech savvy so I'm a bit lost on how to even begin.

2. Countrypami

Countrypami The Link Ninja Staff Member VU Administrator Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Diamond Contributor VU Live Host Member For 5 Years Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    So when you click on a avatar you don't see this?

upload_2020-1-8_11-8-24.png

And when you go to a person's profile page, to the information tab you don't see this?
    upload_2020-1-8_11-10-57.png

What type of device are you on?
    Please post a screenshot of what you're seeing where the button should be.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  3. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    I'm on a Samsung S10 e it's the same device that I had previously where the conversation thread was available. Screenshot_20200108-114941_Chrome.jpg

4. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    Screenshot_20200108-115003_Chrome.jpg

5. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    I took the liberty of using your avatar because you were readily available I hope you don't mind :)

Countrypami likes this.
  6. Countrypami

Countrypami The Link Ninja Staff Member VU Administrator Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Diamond Contributor VU Live Host Member For 5 Years Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Can you do a screenshot from this page when you click on the information tab please.

AvaOrchid likes this.
  7. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    Screenshot_20200108-122123_Chrome.jpg
    I hope I did this right. Also I hope that this isn't showing any information that you don't want posted I'm sorry if it is I don't really know how else to do it. Thank you so much for helping me as well!

Countrypami likes this.
  8. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    Okay, I'm at a loss. Never seen this happen before so I'm pulling in our Tech @CJ to see if they have any ideas.

AvaOrchid likes this.
  9. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    Screenshot_20200108-122421_Chrome.jpg
    I realize that the part you were looking for may have been cut off so I am going to post another shot just in case

Countrypami likes this.
  10. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    I'm gonna assume you've tried logging out and back into your account?

AvaOrchid likes this.
  11. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    Yes I also tried using my computer instead because I figured maybe my phone's being weird but that didn't help either

Countrypami likes this.
  12. gsmit1

gsmit1 Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    This is from my Galaxy S10. Is there maybe a minimum post set before someone can start a private conversation?
    Screenshot_20200108-125631_Chrome~01.jpg

TwelveTwo, AvaOrchid and Countrypami like this.
  13. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I imagine that's not the case because I have previously communicated with somebody during a purchase via p.m. . This is a recent thing like I had the start of conversation thread a month ago LOL unless they issued something new. Also I think the new member thing just recently popped back up too..so weird

gsmit1 likes this.
  14. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    We did make some changes that affect conversations. However, your account is not marked for that change to be in effect for you.

AvaOrchid likes this.
  15. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    You know I totally forgot to thank you for thinking about the issue at hand I appreciate your input :)

gsmit1 likes this.
  16. gsmit1

gsmit1 Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Oh no problem. This kinda stuff can be frustrating.

For the tech admins too sometimes.

Jinx'd and AvaOrchid like this.
  17. ccrules

ccrules Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Just did my 1st conversation-(thanks @SteveS45 ) and have an envelope next to alert flag on top right side of pages.

gsmit1, nadalama and SteveS45 like this.
  18. TwelveTwo

TwelveTwo

Blog Posts:
    I just opened an account today and encountered the same problem as OP. I figured it was a post count thing, but I guess not. FWIW I noticed the problem from a MacBook Pro running Chrome.
    Thanks in advance!

gsmit1 likes this.
  19. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member VU Administrator Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Mod Team Leader Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    Are you able to add an avatar to your account?

20. TwelveTwo

TwelveTwo

Blog Posts:
    Had to verify I was following the directions for adding an avatar from the Official Forum Help thread.
    I do not see an option to add an avatar when I click on my name in the upper right hand corner.
    I can't add an avatar

21. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    New members have to wait 7 days before starting a conversation or posting an avatar.

5150sick and TwelveTwo like this.
  22. TwelveTwo

TwelveTwo

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up!

5150sick and Countrypami like this.
  23. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    So I'm kind of wondering if that's what's going on with me even though I've been registered since Oct I don't know what qualifies as a new member. I also don't seem to be able to post an avatar. So maybe this will just resolve itself in a few days when whatever happened realizes I've been here for well over 7 days though I only have 30 some odd posts. @Countrypami thoughts on that idea?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  24. Countrypami

Blog Posts:

25. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    I guess I don't really understand what that means. Just kind of throwing some things out there since there's something wrong and that something wrong imitates a 7 day or less account. Says I'm a new member, can't post an avatar and cant start a convo. Guess I'll find out in a couple days lol

Oh and thank you for your help! I'm sure it's a difficult thing keeping up with everyone's individual little issues and I appreciate you

26. Jinx'd

Jinx'd Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    i think its 500 posts before your a gold member= no longer new, iirc. and you "may" have to get to, lets say, 50 posts before you can start a convo.

27. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    What I said is you ARE NOT marked for the limitation that new members get. Our tech team is still working on this. My guess is that it is related to the new restrictions we put in place, but we do not know yet how or why.

28. Jinx'd

Blog Posts:
    she needs to go into her "setting" and see what the settings are.

29. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    I can see her settings ;)

30. Jinx'd

Blog Posts:
    oh, so 'your" the one peeking in her window :D

how many posts is needed to do a PM ?

Countrypami likes this.
  31. RuiG

RuiG

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone.

I have the same situations with conversations and avatar. Not really worried.

As a feedback, I tried computer browsing, android (as I normally do) and also android (viewing as computer webpage). No changes.

Also, sometimes I need to change to computer website In android because some menus and forum options don't show in normal view.

Thank you.

32. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    :giggle:... It's not based on post count... it's based on length of membership.

Jinx'd likes this.
  33. Countrypami

Blog Posts:

34. Thorone

Thorone

Blog Posts:
    I have the same issue with no start conversation button. Any advice?

35. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    Oh. Thx for the clarification. I'll keep checking back to see if it changes or if I can do something to assist

Countrypami likes this.
  36. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Blog Posts:
    If your issue is the same as mine thus far they haven't figured out why it's happening. I see you've also been here since October. And it says you're a new member still. If you figure something out by any chance let me know because it really puts a damper on the entire forum though I imagine this is completely up to the tech department and nothing we do has any bearing on anything

Thorone likes this.
  37. ItsRaw

ItsRaw

Blog Posts:
    I was just passing by, took a look at this option in my profile - and guess what? I have no "Start a conversation" as well.
    This is weird, cause I was able to do so earlier. I have a convo started in september, but I can't see the button now.

Thorone likes this.
  38. Thorone

Thorone

Blog Posts:
    Oh yes, I think it is just the same as yours. I see we are not alone with such kind of malfunction.

39. gopher_byrd

gopher_byrd Cranky Old Fart VU Donator Gold Contributor ECF Refugee Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    The New Member badge will stay that way until 1.) you are a member for a year or 2.) hit 150 posts and become a Bronze Contributor. I was a New Member for 10 months or so since I didn't post a lot here. Once I hit 150 posts I got the Bronze Contributor badge.

ItsRaw likes this.
  40. ItsRaw

ItsRaw

Blog Posts:
    Oh, well, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.