Become a Patron!

No TASTE

Sooo I'm aware of the whole vapers tongue thing therefore I rotate my flavors often. Yet, after the first tank of opening a fresh bottle juice has literally NO taste to me. Anyone else have this. My family says it smells really strong so i would expect it would taste strong but i got nothing.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Firing at too high or low a wattage and temperature will affect flavor. Overcook/under-cook something and it has no taste

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sooo I'm aware of the whole vapers tongue thing therefore I rotate my flavors often. Yet, after the first tank of opening a fresh bottle juice has literally NO taste to me. Anyone else have this. My family says it smells really strong so i would expect it would taste strong but i got nothing.

How long since you ditched the coffin nails? Waking up the comatose tastebuds is a very common problem for recent ex-smokers. It can sometimes take quite a while before they're really back online.

Andria

Firing at too high or low a wattage and temperature will affect flavor. Overcook/under-cook something and it has no taste
I dont think I am. The first tank out of the bottle is fine. And i have no way to control the wattage that Im aware of. I just have a simple KangerTech subvod

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well I have a bunch of Tobacco DIY and some taste better at simply .5w higher or lower compared to others. Not familiar with your device so sorry I can't be of more help. Good Luck~!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have an issue with most all commercial ejuice. 1 tankful will pretty much kill my taste and the second one will cause oral irritation , throat irritation and even lung irritation if I keep vaping it.
I DIY all my juice or I would still be smoking.
I also vape low flavor concentrations in my DIY juice.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not to go out into left field, but ... had any bumps or jars to your noggin recently? If so you might consider seeing a real doc. No, I don't play one but I know that sometimes a whop to the noggin might foul up the sensory nerves or how they are transmitted.

I suffer from having no sense of smell from a condition since birth. My smell nerves did not fully develop and some of synapses are wonky. I lack any real sense of definitive taste as well, just some very basic, "that's okay, that's yucky." A bump on the noggin is one of the things the docs check on determining the condition I have.

Doesn't help I was also given a good whack to the head. That whack however didn't cause anything more than stubbornness. So yeah, if you've bonked your head, go get it checked out. *chuckles* I mean it. :)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to go out into left field, but ... had any bumps or jars to your noggin recently? If so you might consider seeing a real doc. No, I don't play one but I know that sometimes a whop to the noggin might foul up the sensory nerves or how they are transmitted.

I suffer from having no sense of smell from a condition since birth. My smell nerves did not fully develop and some of synapses are wonky. I lack any real sense of definitive taste as well, just some very basic, "that's okay, that's yucky." A bump on the noggin is one of the things the docs check on determining the condition I have.

Doesn't help I was also given a good whack to the head. That whack however didn't cause anything more than stubbornness. So yeah, if you've bonked your head, go get it checked out. *chuckles* I mean it. :)
Not to poke fun because that sucks. But reminds me of a movie. Dewey Cox. He went smell blind after he cut his brother in half with a machete as a kid. And that started his music career.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not to poke fun because that sucks. But reminds me of a movie. Dewey Cox. He went smell blind after he cut his brother in half with a machete as a kid. And that started his music career.

Who IS Dewey Cox? Is he some rap gang banger? I've never heard of him.

Andria

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Who IS Dewey Cox? Is he some rap gang banger? I've never heard of him.

Andria
A spoof movie of the Johnny Cash story. John C Reilly plays Dewey Cox which would be Johnny. Hilarious movie. A bunch of stars. Paul Rudd. Can't think of names right now. Lol shows him hanging out with the Beatles.

49550d1be0bcece2c69533aa769b54d9.jpg

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
If its always the first tank after cracking open a new flavor, it could be your taste buds are just damaged and take a little while to "warm up", do you start tasting the flavor after the first tank?

Kitsune

Member For 1 Year
If I understood correctly he can taste the first tank and after that he can't taste the liquid anymore.

What happens if you don't vape that liquid for a few days and then try another tank? Still can't taste it?
Did you give your tank a throughout cleaning?
Did you try a new coil?
Any chance you could try another mod and tank with the liquid you can't taste?
Did you try something with Menthol for a change?
If everything else fails, Menthol is something I can always taste in anything. :D

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It does sometimes. Other times it might not. Life always seem keen
on its trade offs. I don't mind it too much. No point being sad over
something beyond my control. I'm only passing through after all. :)

I've always had such a keen sense of smell, I've wondered if there's a beagle in my gene pool. Since I quit smoking, I've revised "beagle" to "bloodhound" -- my husband says I used to be able to smell a gnat fart, but now I can smll a gnat fart 3 doors down the street. :D But I think I've found the solution: FLONASE! It takes away a large percentage of my sense of smell. Makes everything smell weird, but that's a fair compromise, since I was wishing I could go back to a smoker's nose without having to go back to being a smoker. :D Best thing is that while it has removed some of the discomfort of my nose (and eyes, with these damn cats!), it leaves my tastebuds completely alone. :)

Andria

Invest in a new mod with VW. Also, you can try to vape some heavily citrus juices for a few days. I've heard that can clean up your tastebuds. At least in regards to vapors tounge.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I've watched a video about it of the "DIY or Die" dude. He said mint/menthol can help in the cleaning process, so you can recover of the "vapers tongue". Vape a liquid pure mint ou menthol, who knows... But if it work, tell us please :)

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
I've always had such a keen sense of smell, I've wondered if there's a beagle in my gene pool. Since I quit smoking, I've revised "beagle" to "bloodhound" -- my husband says I used to be able to smell a gnat fart, but now I can smll a gnat fart 3 doors down the street. :D But I think I've found the solution: FLONASE! It takes away a large percentage of my sense of smell. Makes everything smell weird, but that's a fair compromise, since I was wishing I could go back to a smoker's nose without having to go back to being a smoker. :D Best thing is that while it has removed some of the discomfort of my nose (and eyes, with these damn cats!), it leaves my tastebuds completely alone. :)

Andria

Yeah, when they banned smoking in pubs here it was great until we realised what other smells the tobacco was covering up. Seriously stale carpets and Guinness farts.

Also, with your sense of smell being so acute, if it helps and you can find it, neutradol air freshener. The spray can will kill any strong odour (we used it in the pub for said Guinness farts and people with xxxx) instantly. Literally just removes it completely in seconds.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, when they banned smoking in pubs here it was great until we realised what other smells the tobacco was covering up. Seriously stale carpets and Guinness farts.

Also, with your sense of smell being so acute, if it helps and you can find it, neutradol air freshener. The spray can will kill any strong odour (we used it in the pub for said Guinness farts and people with XXXX) instantly. Literally just removes it completely in seconds.

In the state I live in (Georgia), we have a very sane no-smoking rule: if you have to be 18 just to walk in the door (all bars! though you have to be 21 to drink), you can smoke there. Or vape there. I quit drinking just about 26 yrs ago (in 11 days it will be 26 yrs!), so it doesn't offer me anything, but I still say it's a sane policy. But I'm well aware of the stench you mentioned, though when I last visited a bar, I still smoked, but I had already stopped drinking, and the smell of the rubber mats behind the bar will just about knock you down. Guinness isn't a huge thing around here, though I think my son likes it, he's not really much of a drinker (thank god!!!!), but the stench of stale beer, stale coffee, and dirty ashtrays... :gaah:

Never heard of Neutradol. If it really works, the FDA probably doesn't allow it; they're the most ignorant asshats in gov't, with the exception of our present insane and moronic leader. However my husband worked in the shipping/receiving area of a "personal care chemicals" industry about 25 yrs ago, and they had some stuff that was righteous for getting the smell of pee out of your kid's bed linen (and hence, your dryer). :giggle:

Andria

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
It's odd. I genuinely miss the old smell of pubs. We can't smoke 'indoors' in a public place. which is anything with I believe a certain percentage of covering. This includes bus stops believe it or not. Although you can still smoke inside our houses of parliament if you are a member of parliament, whilst enjoying a drink at their import duty free bar. Which pretty much tells everyone all they need to know about politics. Personally I'd rather they had smoking and non smoking pubs. They did in Wales before the ban and it worked out fine. Give people a choice rather than a law. Anyways, I always found a spoonful of bicarb in the detergent helped when my kids were young. Good for blood too. :) although I feel we have wandered off topic slightly lmao :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Ive heard smelling ground coffee also helps. LOL I drink so much coffee I doubt it would work for me though.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think the best advice about "vaper's tongue" is probably 1) it's not really "vaper's" tongue, it's "I smoked for a long fucking time and now my tastebuds are in a coma", and 2) DON'T FREAK OUT. Vapor is NEVER going to be as concentrated in flavor as something you actually eat/drink -- it's just flavored mist! It's kinda like trying to taste a fine vintage wine in a sno-cone -- ain't gonna happen!!

Definitely try to find the "sweet spot" with whatever atty you use, the style you use to vape (MtL, DtL, wattage, resistance, airflow, wire type, etc etc etc), and the type of flavors that you can perceive most easily... but it's flavored mist, not food or drink.

The not freaking out is essential -- a few times, I've noticed that I'm not tasting much, or things taste weird. It's perfectly normal for someone who smoked for nearly 4 decades to have a vastly impaired sense of smell and taste -- and taste is about 80% smell! It's also normal that as it gradually recovers, sometimes things taste and/or smell strange. But it usually passes by the next day, or within a few days. Don't have a cow! You might also check to make sure that your coil isn't gunked, or the wick isn't burnt or brown, and replace the coil and/or wick if either look grody -- I mean, REALLY grody. A little bit of brown isn't gonna make that big a difference.

Andria

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the best advice about "vaper's tongue" is probably 1) it's not really "vaper's" tongue, it's "I smoked for a long fucking time and now my tastebuds are in a coma", and 2) DON'T FREAK OUT. Vapor is NEVER going to be as concentrated in flavor as something you actually eat/drink -- it's just flavored mist! It's kinda like trying to taste a fine vintage wine in a sno-cone -- ain't gonna happen!!

Definitely try to find the "sweet spot" with whatever atty you use, the style you use to vape (MtL, DtL, wattage, resistance, airflow, wire type, etc etc etc), and the type of flavors that you can perceive most easily... but it's flavored mist, not food or drink.

The not freaking out is essential -- a few times, I've noticed that I'm not tasting much, or things taste weird. It's perfectly normal for someone who smoked for nearly 4 decades to have a vastly impaired sense of smell and taste -- and taste is about 80% smell! It's also normal that as it gradually recovers, sometimes things taste and/or smell strange. But it usually passes by the next day, or within a few days. Don't have a cow! You might also check to make sure that your coil isn't gunked, or the wick isn't burnt or brown, and replace the coil and/or wick if either look grody -- I mean, REALLY grody. A little bit of brown isn't gonna make that big a difference.

Andria
^^^ Yep 1000% for all that. ^^^

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I have to change the type of flavors that I vape every couple of days, fruits, bakery, cream, custard and such. If I go more than a few days on one particular variety then I begin to loose the taste. If I change it around and come back to it a little later then the taste is back to what it was originally. Loosing the flavor after one tank though is a little strange. Maybe pick up a variable wattage mod and a dripper rda with some pre made coils. Wicking is a lot more forgiving with those than a tank. Try that and see how the flavor works for you. Wish I had some better advice to offer.

Carpe Nidor

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I change flavors 5-6 times a day every day. Only flavor I will vape all day is a Tobacco Blend but that I will eventually switch up when I am relaxing later in the evening.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have to change the type of flavors that I vape every couple of days, fruits, bakery, cream, custard and such. If I go more than a few days on one particular variety then I begin to loose the taste. If I change it around and come back to it a little later then the taste is back to what it was originally. Loosing the flavor after one tank though is a little strange. Maybe pick up a variable wattage mod and a dripper rda with some pre made coils. Wicking is a lot more forgiving with those than a tank. Try that and see how the flavor works for you. Wish I had some better advice to offer.

Carpe Nidor

I gather that this is a popular means of combatting "sensory fatigue" of the taste/smell neurons, but for myself, I just don't let it concern me too much -- most of the very few "vaper's tongue" problems I've suffered have been because I paid too much attention to what I was -- or wasn't -- tasting. It's not dessert, nor breakfast, nor even a midnight snack -- it's a substitute for smoking, and how'd that shit taste??? I know, we all mostly thought it tasted fine, till we found vaping and realized it really tasted kinda like satan's asshole! But most of us smoked one brand or type of cigarettes for years, if not decades, because they tasted "right" to us -- familiar, comforting. That is the exact attribute I'm seeking in a vape, since it's a direct replacement for smoking. Therefore it should taste the same, everytime. Switching around to different flavors, to me, would be like buying a different brand of cigarettes everytime you ran out, just because hey look, they make a zillion kinds! :facepalm:

This *does* mean that most of the time, I don't really taste that much from my vape; the exceptions to that are, the first vape or two in the morning, and the first vape or two after eating anything -- then, I really taste it. But think about smoking: how often did you really taste THAT? Pretty much at the same times, i.e., when you hadn't smoked for a while.

If you really must taste something strongly... eat or drink something. If you're just looking for something to do instead of smoking, consider yourself lucky that it probably tastes more like fruit or dessert or spices than like satan's flaming asshole. :) And it won't make you smell bad to others, either. :)

Andria

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I gather that this is a popular means of combatting "sensory fatigue" of the taste/smell neurons, but for myself, I just don't let it concern me too much -- most of the very few "vaper's tongue" problems I've suffered have been because I paid too much attention to what I was -- or wasn't -- tasting. It's not dessert, nor breakfast, nor even a midnight snack -- it's a substitute for smoking, and how'd that shit taste??? I know, we all mostly thought it tasted fine, till we found vaping and realized it really tasted kinda like satan's asshole! But most of us smoked one brand or type of cigarettes for years, if not decades, because they tasted "right" to us -- familiar, comforting. That is the exact attribute I'm seeking in a vape, since it's a direct replacement for smoking. Therefore it should taste the same, everytime. Switching around to different flavors, to me, would be like buying a different brand of cigarettes everytime you ran out, just because hey look, they make a zillion kinds! :facepalm:

This *does* mean that most of the time, I don't really taste that much from my vape; the exceptions to that are, the first vape or two in the morning, and the first vape or two after eating anything -- then, I really taste it. But think about smoking: how often did you really taste THAT? Pretty much at the same times, i.e., when you hadn't smoked for a while.

If you really must taste something strongly... eat or drink something. If you're just looking for something to do instead of smoking, consider yourself lucky that it probably tastes more like fruit or dessert or spices than like satan's flaming asshole. :) And it won't make you smell bad to others, either. :)

Andria

For me, vaping is no longer a substitute for smoking. I have no desire to ever pick up a cigarette again. The nic level in my juices are anywhere from 1 to 3 mg. So it’s not really about the nic fix for me either. I vape different flavors because I enjoy creating those flavors, similar to creating a dish in the kitchen.

Carpe Nidor

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For me, vaping is no longer a substitute for smoking. I have no desire to ever pick up a cigarette again. The nic level in my juices are anywhere from 1 to 3 mg. So it’s not really about the nic fix for me either. I vape different flavors because I enjoy creating those flavors, similar to creating a dish in the kitchen.

Carpe Nidor

Hasn't been about nic for at least 3 yrs, for me. It's about the HABIT, which is a much harder thing to break than a mere chemical dependency.

Andria

VU Sponsors