Become a Patron!

No Throat Hit Even With 12mg Nictoine?

I am using a Kanger Subtank Mini with 0.7 ohms coil 12mg nicotine 50/50 firing at around 17-20 watts I get flavor just no throat hit I know yall might say get higher nicotine or PG I know I probably will but what I am wondering is with my RBA the first 2 coils I built actually gave a throat hit like a good thump in the back of the throat and it even gave me throat hit with the 6mg nicotene it reminded me of smoking a cigarette but now I get no throat hit I'm mad because I spent all night yesterday trying to rebuild new coils to try to get that throat hit back but its a no go and what got me more mad is the ohms always came out the same as the first 2 coils 0.7 or 0.8 ohms. I might try more nicotine but I just don't understand how the first 2 coils I built pulled so nicely and than the rest of the coils gave no throat hit and they were the exact same as the first 2. I'm vaping to replace smoking cigarettes but if I can't get it hitting like a cigarette its gonna be pointless to me. Also if I take a long lung hit the vape hit to the lung feels like its pulling my lungs down its a unsatisfying feeling makes me cough sometimes. Any tips or suggestions?

Last edited:
Hey Butter, You just joined today ( so did I), so I have no idea what your experience level is. If this post sounds like I am explaining the obvious to you, my apologies.

Are you mixing your own Juice? What device are you using? What are you measuring the resistance with?

I find that I typically get a consistent vape if all things are equal. If you experience has changed, then something has changed, even if you are not aware of it or maybe didn't think of it.

Some possible causes to consider:

1. Your device read your first coil too high. and it was actually hitting like a .6 Some devices are more accurate than others and when sub ohm vaping, a little makes a big difference. (I have a ohm reader and a millimeter, check my resistance on my device and on both my readers if I am experiencing issues.). If you still have your first coil, reload it and measure.
2. If you built the coil and vaped on it for any length of time before noting the resistance, the resistance probably settled up from use, to .8. They tend to creep up.
3. Did you change wire or wick materials, or technique? If your first wick was running lean (drawing less juice) you would find the hit more harsh to be sure. This could be from the wicks being tighter so the juice is not able to travel as fast, or from not having good contact with the channels on the Kanger RBA.
4. If you are mixing your own juice, are you SURE you didn't make a mistake in the measurement?
5. Did you happen to change your measurement tools recently? Did you get new Nicotine? Is it PG based or VG based?
6. If you are still on the same bottle of juice, was the juice made fresh when you started with the first coils? If your juice didn't steep, the flavor and harshness/throat hit may change as it sits/steeps/ages.

Just my 6 cents. Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great advise Jason:), and welcome to you both from VU.

Glad you both joined up.!!!!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
If you have the airflow wide open, try closing it down one notch.

Thanks for the advice guys I will keep these things in mind I built a couple more coils messing with the wickings and some ended up giving me a alright throat hit but I'll keep tinkering.

Update - I was able to get my nice throat hit back from making a coil that equaled out .53 ohms firing around 17 watts is the sweet spot for me I had to squeeze my coils together and torch it to achieve those ohms because last time I didn't squeeze and torch I would always get 0.6-0.7 ohms which only produced flavor but no throat hit.

Last edited:

fwtechwiz

Member For 4 Years
I'm able to get a decent throat hit using 2 strands of 28 ga twisted Kanthal, 2 mm diameter, 5 wraps. That gets me around .4 ohms. Vaping at 22 watts, the throat hit, vapor and flavor are spot on. But it does use more juice. Oh I also squeeze and torch the coil. On my single wire coils I squeeze and torch them too.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@ButterNutz ....I don't know how long you've been vaping bud but first thing first...Welcome to Vaping Underground...I hope you like it here and say and kick you feet up and look around for a bit. You'll find lots of cool and helpful stuff everywhere. :)

Secondly bud, if your build, juice, and mod were all the same than depending on how long you've been vaping your throat may have simply adjusted to your vape and you had to kick it up enough to get a harsh feeling hit. Some times as silly as it sounds it's as simple as that...eve Sigmond Froyd said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Especially if you're just in the first few months of vaping your body is going threw changes and getting used to vaping more and smoking less to none if you've completely made the switch..You're going to experience a few things like this over the first few months, like your throat adjusting, your tongue getting vapor's fatigue and such...over time your body will adjust and your build will feel the same over and over with very small and subtle differences as no two coils are exactly alike, especially hand wound ones where tension is key to a perfect coil and once in awhile you forget to tighten them like I do and the vape isn't as good.

I build the same simple parallel builds over and over because it gives me exactly the vape I desire in all aspects of it...in time you'll settle into a build of your own. I am glad you're building safely using an ohms meter and paying attention and hopefully have your battery safety knowledge brushed up as well...if not I can give you several links here to study to help your building. Best of luck to you and relax, everything will settle in in time and happy vaping to yah! :)

VU Sponsors