Non coil-and-wick vaporizing methods - the future of vaping

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Egzoset

Member For 4 Years
Salutations Giraut,
Salutations M5amhan,

Relatively to the Loto Labs Evoke IH Pipe...

I didn't want to hijack Vaping Griffin's thread and derail...

That's one of those threads i once considered for posting about alternate methods to the series-parallel battery connections (because each scenario comes with its own trade-offs and corresponding consequences): series connection cumulates (multiplies) overall internal series resistance while i vaguely recall reading about "balance" issues using parallel connections, if i'm not mistaking.

39.gif

Given the nature of this site's main favourite application (which is to vaporize e-Liquids by creating heat out of batteries, to put it briefly) i started feeling seriously puzzled (read quite "challenged") when searching for numbers from the Evoke Team actually: the problem being that their only demonstration(s) ever rendered public (to support some really successful "crowd" financing campaing) has turned out to be based on a 26 Watts @ 9 Volts IH driver... But they've mentioned the use of a 3.7 Volts battery instead.

So, how does one convert electric power from a single 3.7 Volts battery in order to transform it into 26 Watts of IH heat?...

o_O

Well, the readers are probably aware of limitations related to dealing with imperfect electronic valves where a lossy conduction channel (characterized by less-than-ideal Rds-on performance) implies the conversion can never reach 100 %... In addition it happens that IH drivers also suffer from a similar limitation and that's why IH cookers are typically built around a High-Voltage supply, to optimize the chopping action of those imperfect valves by making their Rds-on less predominant. Please correct me if this interpretation sounds wrong.

So, if we compare switching-supply conversion and IH drivers it becomes tempting to avoid chain (double!) power conversion since the final goal is to turn this power into heat anyway. In other words half of a power converter looks so similar to the chopper stage of IH cookers one has to wonder if it's a viable concept, because then the load becomes magnetic instead and hence wireless as a bonus - which is one of the major benefits Induction Heating has to offer, another being on-demand thermostatic heat at the point of contact if it's based on the Curie effect.

Yet, we're talking in terms of a few hundred Volts in IH cookers while Evoke's project pushes the challenge as far as to suggest the technology can be miniaturized enough to depend solely on portable battery power...

13.gif

Now, here's a real-life implementation exported from a market addressing the needs of laboratories, it's called a Curie Point Pyrolyzer and this were its wireless heating element resides:

Capacity within that quartz-glass vial is ~0.6 ml (wrapped inside a metal IH foil) and its power requirement happens to be 48 Watts @ 600 KHz... Here's the IH driver below, it's clearly more transportable than portable as it has a 2 m power cable attached for some reason (...):

x0wl93.jpg
Not to mention such tiny bowl is 60 % smaller than that of an Evoke as planned!

M'well, the IH pyrolyzer above is said to reach way beyond the necessary thermostatic temperature in a matter of ~¼ sec, on another hand... Meaning with a few compromises to make there may be IH vapes in the futur, yet to be honnest i think the Evoke team should have made more modest claims, like to offer a 2-parts IH pipe where all of the electronics would reside inside a separate IH base: heat retention in the pipe would suffice to get a good puff and then the user can put it back in place, ready for a "recharge" as with grand-ma's iron on a fire stove, so to speak. Personally i'd find that convenient enough and batteries remain an option, except in a custom portable IH driver there would be room for as many batteries as this shall require... If the Evoke team ever manages to make it a reality, that is!!

;)

Now THAT is innovative.

Indeed, though i can't but notice those guys demonstrated a constant determination to control all discussions, especially criticism that's only matching those claims, euh... At least when seen from my perspective, after i've given it a few good tries (elsewhere) only to find some basic questions remained ignored consistently.

Which takes me back to this simple interrogation: where's their 3.7 Volts proof-of-concept exactly?...
106.gif

The answer being there just was no plan when THEY contacted me personally last spring, even less a proper prototype proving it's even possible in the 1st place. As a matter of fact another company had to be hired to figure it out for them, eventually, after they got their money if memory still serves me well...

:p

Another thing I'm waiting for personally is laser heating, to replace the coil. It's possible...

Yes, i've seen an equivalent idea demonstrated many years ago and the power level was 15 Watts using green light. Too bad the human eye is optimized for 550 nm or so: the owner - and everybody around! - would need to wear protective googles as a safety precaution, unless the vaporizing bowl is garanteed to be totally isolated/contained at all times!

So my guess is this could likely take a long while though not completely impossible.

As for Evoke's solution i think we'll be waiting as well but they're most welcome to show their secret ingredient.

...maybe this can come handy as a taser...

I'll agree we could view this as a selling argument, perhaps. After all, if it's built to provide sufficient modularity then there's going to be plenty of magnetic power to supply an optional taser cartridge: it just needs their pipe layout to allow it...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tl;dr

Look, innovative vaping gear can be obtained thusly:

- Wait for some brave soul to come up with something new
- Wait for early adopters to give their opinion
- Wait for the Chinese to copy the stuff
- Wait for the aforementioned early adopters to compare the Chinese copy and the original
- Wait for the Chinese stuff to come to a store near you

In short, if you're patient enough, you'll get fun new toys for cheap with zero effort. Anything else is too much work - including spending any time wondering how well something is supposed to work: you'll know soon enough if it works when it hits the market, and enough people with too much disposable get burned buying unproven devices that don't quite cut the mustard.

That is my philosophy. My attention span is very short when it comes to crowdfunded anything. I only start paying real attention when something is industrialized and tested by enough customers to know for sure what I'm paying for in advance.

Egzoset

Member For 4 Years
Salutations Giraut,

...to a store near you...

That passage is utterly compatible with me as i don't do e-Commerce. ;)

Anything else is too much work - including spending any time wondering how well something is supposed to work: you'll know soon enough if it works when it hits the market...

My impression is that this is possibly what happened with the Evoke project as this "pyrolyzer" proof-of-concept shown previously just did't appear spontaneously into our universe IMHO... Then there's been some escalation of claims i'm still not sure i can follow.

o_O

I only start paying real attention when something is industrialized and tested by enough customers...

That one part is where i need to disagree considering the present thread's title, not to mention there's a lot of potential for amazement long before the final money grab. For example, since i wish to remain on topic with what's announced on top, please allow me to simply mention what's going to happen if/when a coil and a magnetized Curie alloy are put together:

The underlying principles have been implemented as commericalized products so many times along so many decades few young persons even find it stimulating today i presume, and yet this receipe for dynamic audio transducers may very well cause more innovation... For example a time may come when no vaporizer even offer a display as it shall obey tap/vocal commands instead, etc. Euh... Now, why not some ultrasonic (mechanical) stirrer to optimize the heating process and hence conserve power?...

By chance Google happens to be our friend so when it finally hits the shelves you'll hear of it, sooner or later, then the next wave of innovation frenzy will hit again, until the sand box is empty and there's nothing left to explore.

Time works for us but it also wins over us without a single exception, ultimately.

:D

VU Sponsors