Become a Patron!

Non-technical review of six popular batteries. Samsung, Sony, MXJO, LG, Efest.

almostamyth

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is a real life, non-technical review of several popular batteries in the vape industry. The tests cut out all the complicated graphs and figures usually associated with battery tests and got right down to the bottom line: how much juice the batteries can vape before they go dead.

These tests measured total juice consumption from fully charged until the unit locked at maximum allowed discharge. All batteries were first fully charged in the mod until the display turned off, indicating a full charge. All tests were done on an Eleaf iStick 100W, non-temp control unit at 22W running dual, parallel 18650s. The tank was a Kanger Subtank plus with an authentic Kanger SSOCC .5ohm clapton coil. The juice was my own blend, 70% VG 30% PG, and was carefully measured using a 10cc syringe. All variables were the same for all tests. Batteries were nearly new, having about 3 to 5 charging cycles for break-in, with the exception of the MXJOs. They were about 6 months old. The MXJOs came from my local vape shop, everything else was purchased from IMRBatteries.com.

Samsung 25R 2500mAh 20A $5.00ea – 15.7ml

Sony VTC6 3000mAh 15A $9.00ea – 15.2ml

Samsung 30Q 3000mAh 15A $6.00ea – 14.4ml

MXJO (Yellow) 3000mAh 35A $8.00ea – 14.2ml (pretty good for six month old batteries)

LG HG2 3000mAh 20A $6.00ea - 7.2ml

Efest Purple 2500mAh 35A $6.50ea – Test not performed. These batteries were so horrible that I sent them back & claimed defective product before I decided to do these tests. They said they tested normal and gave me a store credit for the 8 batteries I returned. Results would have been similar to, or worse than the LG HG2. One tank & done.

Conclusion: Higher price doesn’t buy a better battery. The inexpensive Samsung 25R edged out the nearly 2x as expensive Sony VTC6 by a narrow margin. Four of the six battery types tested are all fine choices for my setup and wattage. Different variables will likely produce very different results. Two thumbs down to the LG HG2 and the Efest Purple. Glad I was able to return the Efest. Thankfully I only bought two of the LGs, which I will donate to my vape shop to use in his demo equipment. Although he only carries quality products and might not even want them.

Hope this review was helpful. Vape on!

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LG have been slacking lately with their HG2s.
Rewraps are always a bad idea.
If you're reviewing batteries, you should at least state their true ratings.
30Q is under rated, all rewraps (besides Pegasus and AW) are always over rated.

Last edited:

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
LG have been slacking lately with their HG2s.
To the point of only having HALF the capacity of the others? That's certainly not my experience with 'em mechanical squonk mods. The OP's results make me wonder whether his HG2s are real. But I'll concede that I bought my HG2s almost a year ago...

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
To the point of only having HALF the capacity of the others? That's certainly not my experience with 'em mechanical squonk mods. The OP's results make me wonder whether his HG2s are real. But I'll concede that I bought my HG2s almost a year ago...

Let's not forget that the batteries were also charged in an Istick

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
OK, but if they were all charged in the same device, that wouldn't explain the difference.

I think it could - considering the vagaries of charging in mods, but have no science to back that up, lol

It's just an observation

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can use steam engine to determine how many hours or puffs a battery will last based on how many seconds per puff and power range...Figure out how many puffs it took you to empty your tank the first time then divide the number of ML's consumed by the amount of puffs

almostamyth

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have no reason to believe the HG2s were fake. IMRBatteries.com has no negative reviews for selling fakes & I've always had good experiences with them. Don't forget, the Efest batteries were the same as or worse than the LGs, and those had a scratch code right on the battery that I verified. I don't know why those two performed so badly, but all the variables were the same for all the tests. Wattage was set to 22W and I didn't change it at all, not even 1/10W, for all of the tests. Maybe the quality has dropped recently and the older batteries will perform better.

Again, these tests were non-technical. Personally all I care about is how much I can vape each battery before it needs to be charged. Whether they are rewraps, or if the stated specs are different than the actual specs makes no difference to me. Performance is the only thing I tested here. Charging in the mod has never been an issue for me. The batteries tested were all charged in the same mod so if it were an issue it would have been seen in all of the results.

The test of time will determine which batteries I'll buy again. Judging from the results on the six month old MXJOs those seem hold up well over time. The 25R would be my first choice though. I had some older 25Rs I used in the iStick TC60W that held up great for 8 months.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Again, these tests were non-technical. Personally all I care about is how much I can vape each battery before it needs to be charged.
In the end, that's what really matters! I look at batteries in the same light, but perhaps even less scientifically. I use mechanical squonkers and always fill the bottle when I change the battery, so I'm pretty aware of how much juice I was able to vape up before I got to the point of wanting a fresh battery. The champs for me so far are HG2s, which 25Rs never impressed me much, but then the 25Rs I have are some of the original baby-blue ones. I also got in some VTC6s recently, but I haven't put them in service yet.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think its more the comments on how the LG batteries sucked when so many people know better...I use LGHg2 in everything I own and I own 12 mods with either single or dual batteries and they have never let me down and have by far improved the vape time with any of my mods ..Obviously a bad apple in the bunch or a charging issue on your end....What I found really odd was how a 2500mah battery lasts longer than any of the 3000 mah batteries you tested....i own 2500/2600mah cells (sony,samsung and LG) and the HG2's beat them everytime which is why I completely switched to LG HG2's...I call the test a complete failure as nothing adds up...Get yourself a good external charger and try again.

I would have actually put money on the Samsung 30Q to out perform everything..Those are the next batteries ill be trying as they have slightly more amperage than the HG2 despite a lower amp rating...not that I need it but, I guess im OCD like that.

Last edited:

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Being honest, these results don't line up. I think maybe there's something weird going on here. Maybe repeat the tests to see if you get the same result again?

VU Sponsors