Become a Patron!

Noob question........dont laugh!

Wyntreblossom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whats kanthal and what makes it different. I know what a clapton is but im not familier with kanthal.........

VaperJedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
kanthal is a type of wire. It is an alloy made of Iron, chrome and aluminum I believe. the decided on a ratio of those three metals to cause it to heat. The resistance of electricity is turned into heat, and it's the same type of wire used to create the heat in hairdryers, convection ovens, aquatic heaters, space heaters, etc. Simply put, it is heating wire. It is NOT used in temperature control mods, since those require only one metal. The differences in the ratio of metals might be different from one run to the next, so the resistance as it heats up cannot be accurate. Nicrhome is another resistance wire as well, and is used in much the same way, but it's resistance is different than kanthal. It is called Kanthal because that's the name of the company that originally marketed it... I think they may have invented it as well, but I could be wrong.

Wyntreblossom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah. see. My other threads talk about some coil issues ive been having. turns out i was buying the kanthal wire coils for my arctic and that was different than the other coils that i HAD been using. Whic h were the claptons.

VaperJedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah. see. My other threads talk about some coil issues ive been having. turns out i was buying the kanthal wire coils for my arctic and that was different than the other coils that i HAD been using. Whic h were the claptons.

"claptons" are how the wire is wound into a coil. With a Clapton coil, they take some sort of wire (whether it be Kanthal, Nicrhome, Titaniuum, Stainless steel, or whatever), and wrap a small coil around a wire... It look ssomething like a guitar string when done. they then wrap that into a coil itself.

To give you an idea, take a look at someone making a clapton coil so you see exactly what it is:

Wyntreblossom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know what a clapton is and how to make it. Thats what confused me. One of my coils says BTDC kanthal. The other says clapton. I was like.....arent claptons made from kanthal??? So yea thats where I like wtf

VaperJedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know what a clapton is and how to make it. Thats what confused me. One of my coils says BTDC kanthal. The other says clapton. I was like.....arent claptons made from kanthal??? So yea thats where I like wtf

Well, Claptons can be made of anything. Some people have worries over some metals. Kanthal has become IMO, the "norm". Claptons COULD be made of nicrhome or any other wire, it just doesn't say what kind of wire it is.

Wyntreblossom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
either way, when it comes to my coils, i dont think im a fan of straight up kanthal. At least for my arctic anyways. hopefully switching back will help.

VaperJedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To be honest, I am not a big fan of the "fancy" coils. To me, Resistance has more to do with the flavor than type of coil.. this is highly subjective though. For example, a .5 ohm clapton might not be as good as a .4 ohm regular micro coil, or two .8 ohm kanthal coils (.4 ohm total)... it's all subjective. In the long run though, if you like one coil better than another on your Arctic, then go with that coil.

Wyntreblossom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yea. like idk what it is but ever since ive been using the kanthal one im not getting good flavor anymore. its like sucking air that tastes like a cotton field lol. and im rockin some strong strawberry candy juice. i switched back to the clapton today and oh my goodness the flavor has RETURNED! wooo!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NOOBs and their ridiculous questions....OK Kanthal is a type of resistance wire made from several diffrent metals.Clapton is a guitar player who was in a band called Cream...jesus wept.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Haha,
What coils were you using? Kanthal is the most common resistance wire use in vaping. I dont know what is used in the store bought prefab coils anymore other than the triton coils which is Stainless Steel. but most use either nichrome or kanthal or a combination of the two. if you're suddenly getting an off flavor, its probably the juice, wicking material or the power. I would be shocked to here of an off flavor from kanthal, its is benign for most people.
Most premade Clapton wire is made from kanthal.

VU Sponsors