Become a Patron!

Noob vaper Help!!! (Vaporesso Revenger Mini)

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys,

I used to vape with the Halo ecigs and they were pretty good. Straightforward. Just push the button and pull.

Now, years later, I just bought the Vaporesso Revenger Mini. My first variable wattage and TC mod. And I bought the Naked100 Tobacco flavor which is 70/30 VG/PG. I started out on 30W and its fairly harsh and has a hard throat hit for such a high VG. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? I've tried some of my friend's juices with their Revenger X and the thing was smooth as anything. I can almost guarantee I'm doing something wrong. Especially on the first click, it has huge pops..then it starts to mellow out.

Any advice? Appreciate it in advance.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I don't have that mod but I did a quick search, assuming you got the kit with the NRG mini tank, this kit includes 2 coils. The gt4 0.15 ohm and gt ccell ss 0.5 ohms. The manufacturer recommendation is 30-70 watt ( best between 45-65) for the gt4 and 25-35 watt on the ccell.

However in most cases manufacturer recommendations are way too high but it will give you a good base to start at. If you primed your coil properly, meaning its fully saturated with your liquid, try increasing the wattage by 1-5 depending on the mod, till you feel satisfied. Do keep in mind not to go a lot above recommendation tho. (Upper end)

Naked in my opinion is harsh at the beginning. I do not own their tobacco's but all fruit and deserts. From that I know that most of my juices were harsh as I got them, also some were muted in flavor or just pure acetone feeling to them. Hated them but steeped them for a couple months actually, testing them on a weekly basis. They do get better, but still pack a good punch.

Anyways what I try to say is this, if you don't think its your hardware, or played around with it a bit and have a other juice on hand, that's not naked give it a try and see what wattage would be good for the coil you're using ATM. Juices and flavoring do vary by temperature/wattage, but again we could rule out that this would be the issue. If that's the case just put that naked juice away for a couple of days/weeks and try later, the outcome might be better.

If you go no other juice, well as stated above, increase watt and see if it gets more satisfying to you. Not more I can say to that, sadly.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I know nothing about this device - but a quick read through the specs leads me to believe you might need to turn up the wattage a little

If that fails, you may need to reinstall the coil, taking care to make sure it is installed properly and saturated before vaping

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks! So I will definitely buy another juice. Any brands recommended that are quality and chemical free? Locally I can get beard, black note(excited to try it), halo, and a few others. I can't go 100% VG because of my asthma. I was good with Halo juice which was 70PG if I'm not mistaken.

So increasing wattage will smoothen the flavor? I have it at 30W now. But when I increase the wattage, the "wild" pops don't go away. At around 30-35W the "wild" pops mellow out after a few seconds of the first pull.

Last edited:

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The GT2 0.4Ohm coil is Clapton if that helps. Also, when i had the Halo ecig, I know the difference between a throat hit and a burned/harsh taste. This is more harsh than it is a throat hit. Throat hits still taste good going down.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Juices as so many other things vary by person, very difficult to give a recommendation. I doubt you were vaping 70pg prior because if that's the case, the harshness of naked wouldn't be noticeable for you, 70pg is like a horse kicking you in the throat lol.

Let me try explaining were your harshness could come from. Either too high of wattage, this will boil the juice and can give depending on the juice, harshness and peppery flavor. Too little/low wattage, you'll end up not fully vaporizing the juice, giving you the same effect. In that case increasing your watt/temp will fix that, or taking longer slower hits.

Vaping specific ejuice brands or/and flavors can cause it. Pg/VG ratio as well as low quality nic. The nic ratio also important, if you vape 24mg in a sub ohm tank, you most likely will experience harshness or in some cases get nicotine sick.

Naked is not known for bad quality, therefore we can rule that out. I personally have pg sensitivity, I can't vape below 80/20, higher would be even better tho, or experience not just the harshness but also extreme throat pain and breathing issues. I don't know how that plays out with your asthma. you could try lower/higher ratios, but keep in mind so higher the pg more harshness and throat hit. Higher vg, more sweetness/smoother vape all together but higher cloud production. So then there's only the question, how much nicotine strength you got that juice at? If you vape above 6 or 12mg try getting a lower nic juice etc.

The popping and crackling/sizzling is normal and actually should be happening, I would be scared if it would make no noise lol. Nothing to worry about. Different if you get hot, extreme hot vape or spit back then we would need to discuss that. Hope it helps and you can get a more satisfying vape. Just play around with it a bit.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm vaping 3mg nicotine. I like throat hits but this was making me cough almost immediately. I do specifically remember yesterday trying it out and 45 was too harsh, ended up going to 35 and lower. It worked perfectly. Now today at 30W its harsh. So it basically has to be in the middle of too low and too high? Like a vaporizing sweet spot? I'll check my friends Revenger X. He had a mango juice. Was awesome. Literally no throat hit and sweet. Is this maybe an issue with tobacco flavors?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I found a "work around" for the harshness. If I push the fire button and let it vape, at the same time I blow into the drip tip to get rid of the first few seconds of vape, I can start to inhale after that without any harshness. Did that make sense?

Also I'm vaping at 30W.

1.Push the button to start vaping
2. Blow instead of inhale to get rid of the first bit of vapor
3. After first few seconds, begin to inhale. No harshness

I'm just hoping there's a more permanent solution.

Hey I'm using a vaporesso revenger with the same tank as yourself just a 2ml version cos I'm in the UK. Im using the 0.15 coil that came with the tank initially and i have that set to run on 66w. i have found if you do a few puffs without actually firing this helps bring some juice through and then I can usually puff about 4/7 seconds with no dry hits or harshness. It may be that your getting a slight dry hit on the coil your using so I would give this a try. It may not help but I noticed the same harshness you describe when using that coil myself and found that it helped. If you read on the coil it also tells you the recommended wattage to set your mod to, I usually add 3 or 4 to the lowest number and it seems to work well for me using a tobacco and hazelnut juice. I'm due to change my coil so I'll throw in the coil your using and will tinker around see if I can help any further

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I can confirm harshness lol. My cousin smokes cigarettes and she started coughing.

That sounds very much like you guys are getting a dry hit of sorts. I may be completely wrong but it' the only thing I can think that would explain the harshness. You could try set your wattage to 10 then keep taking puffs but work the wattage up until you find that "sweet" spot. That' what I had to do with my other tank as the flavours and harshness was unreal. Have you tried your other coil that came with the tank? Just remember if you swap them let the new coil soak up your juice for at least 5 mins minimum.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well, my first thought is this
your old halo ecig was probably not a sub ohm tank and you are use to doing mouth to lung hits meaning you take a puff then inhale

what you have now is more powerful and is usually used Direct lung meaning you puff and it goes right down your throat to your lungs

so that may have something to do with your experience.

now i see you said you are only using 3mg nic so thats great with sub ohm using too high nicotine can burn and cause nicotine overdose in sub ohm tanks most people go between 3 and 6 mg but Ive heard of people using 9 and 12, just what you are used to and need
ignore what the coil says for wattage
a .5ish ohm coil is normally pretty good between 50-75 watts but YMMW
a .15 is usually 75-100w

now what I used to do when trying to figure out what wattage to use was start LOW say 20 watts
then go up 5 watts at a time till i started liking it. then once I HIt the spot where I no longer like dit go back down 5 watts
and then experiementin 1 watt increments both ways

A coil can be horrible both with too much power and too little

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But my coil says 55-65W is the best for it. So I should disregard that and start off much lower?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just checked inside the coil where the cotton is. The bottom half of the cotton is kind of tan, like its burned. I would assume that means its burned otherwise the entire cotton should be the same color from the juice. Right? Wrong?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I just checked inside the coil where the cotton is. The bottom half of the cotton is kind of tan, like its burned. I would assume that means its burned otherwise the entire cotton should be the same color from the juice. Right? Wrong?
I have this kit with having no issues of what you speak of. So maybe the coil is burnt, did you prime the coil first, and let it sit for 5 minuses before using? And how long have you used this one coil? Also all juices do not vape the same, I have some that taste burnt in some tanks over other juices that do not.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought the device about 3 days ago. The guy I bought it from filled it with some juice and told me to blow into it for a few minutes. I presume to wet the cotton with the juice. I added the 0.4Ohm coil right when I bought it.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's weird. I am in VW Soft mode and on 20W its almost perfect. Just takes forever to heat up

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you think I should risk throwing away a coil and starting fresh and seeing if that makes a difference? Or should I try another juice?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
It's weird. I am in VW Soft mode and on 20W its almost perfect. Just takes forever to heat up
Not sure what you used being Halo which might of been a mouth to lung MTL device. Now you are using a direct lung inhale which will take time getting use too, if this is the case.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've used their G6 cig and Triton devices primarily with Tribeca. The normal version. Not the high vg model.

My friend has the Revenger X and he had a Mango e-juice. I tried it out. Smooth as anything. Zero harshness. I'm almost positive I'm doing something wrong

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I've used their G6 cig and Triton devices primarily with Tribeca. The normal version. Not the high vg model.

My friend has the Revenger X and he had a Mango e-juice. I tried it out. Smooth as anything. Zero harshness. I'm almost positive I'm doing something wrong
If you can get a hold of his juice, try it in your tank to see if any difference.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Something interesting I just noticed is that the 0.4Ohm coil says 40W-80W. I completely forgot about that and set the device to 24W and even 20W and they're pretty smooth and cool at this wattage. Although I still have to blow first.

How is this working? Is it possible to damage the coil or device if I vape at a wattage outside of the coil wattage range?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Something interesting I just noticed is that the 0.4Ohm coil says 40W-80W. I completely forgot about that and set the device to 24W and even 20W and they're pretty smooth and cool at this wattage. Although I still have to blow first.

How is this working? Is it possible to damage the coil or device if I vape at a wattage outside of the coil wattage range?
If too high can burn the coil, but lower never a problem.

VU Sponsors