Become a Patron!

Not getting as much power out of my mech as I expected.

EquivalentExchange

Member For 3 Years
yesterday I took the plunge and bought myself a mech, I went with the Tugboat V2.5. I then got a Herklese RDA as it fits rather flush against it. However after making a simple build of about 6 wraps of 24g Static Wire, this thing hits at literally about 20v when I'm used to about 80. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
whats the resistance of that build i am not familiar with static wire.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A mech is only as good as your build. Build it right and you get a great vape.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Static wire should be about 20% less resistance than kanthal alone. The resistance of your build and the voltage drop of both the mod and the battery are going to govern what kind of wattage you achieve.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
not sure what to tell ya, my tubes hit like a freight train.

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have a ohm meter you can screw your mech to?

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Battery is 4.2v if fully charged depending on age. If you have a ohm meter with optional voltage reader check it. You say its not performing as expected. Volts (v) = amps (a) × resistance (ohms) 4.2v .13ohm 32amps Calculate watts p = v × i 135 watts. That redlining 32amps your volts dont increase they decrease.

EquivalentExchange

Member For 3 Years
Where should I be at with Ohms to get good cloud production. I also have a regulated 200w Fuchai with a Phenotype L and it's been marvelous. I'm using this mech to really help me get better with builds and as you can all tell, I'm failing.

EquivalentExchange

Member For 3 Years
Battery is 4.2v if fully charged depending on age. If you have a ohm meter with optional voltage reader check it. You say its not performing as expected. Volts (v) = amps (a) × resistance (ohms) 4.2v .13ohm 32amps Calculate watts p = v × i 135 watts. That redlining 32amps your volts dont increase they decrease.

This is really helpful but if you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit for me as I'm really not sure what you mean by redlining 32amps. If I'm supposed to be getting 135 watts of force out of this thing, I couldn't be farther from it. I feel like I'm getting 20-30.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
you wont get 200w out of a tube thats for sure...
work on getting builds that ramp up fast, working with your airflow so you get sort of a vacuum effect when you inhale...
dont know what else to tell ya.
on regulated the deal is more plug n play, almost any build will produce if you throw enough watts behind it.
on a mech everything needs to syncronize for best results, the build, airflow and your pull...
ive been with guys vaping at 150w more or less with a dna200 or something similar and have outproduced them with a tube... cant really recommend anything in particular other than working through your paces, getting to know your device and getting it to work with you..
invest in some low resistance wire.. a .2 build with ss will lessen rampup and will produce better results than a .2 of kanthal or even .2 or n80...
i dont recommend going insanely low until you get the hang of whats going on.
regulated and unregulated are 2 completely different ball games that require different tactics to get the same result.
have fun with it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A fully charged battery has about 4.2 volts.
However as soon as you fire your mech that voltage will sag ie drop.
How much depends both on the battery and how much load you put on the battery.
Typically most GOOD high drain batteries will sag to no higher than 3.7 volts under a 20 amp load.
Just a bit of info for when you figure your actual wattage on a mech.

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is really helpful but if you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit for me as I'm really not sure what you mean by redlining 32amps. If I'm supposed to be getting 135 watts of force out of this thing, I couldn't be farther from it. I feel like I'm getting 20-30.
Before you do anything get acquainted with a ohm"s law calculator. Every battery has a amp rating. Not all battery manufacturers stretch the truth about the amp rating on theirs most do. I prefer mxjo 35 amp 3000 mah these are not supposed to be rewarps. Google everything about battery safely. Check out ohms law calculator read up on truth about batteries. I dont use mech mods nothing wrong with them just dont choose to use them. If you had a build .3 ohm say current battery at 4 volts watts would be around 53 and amaps 13. Not a clould comp winning build but its safe build. Batteries are the most important thing make sure you have a battery that is rated plenty high enough for its intended use. And no tears or rips in the wrap. Dont want to be the one who ruined the party but someone is going to get hurt. Not using a mech is my choice as I said I would be using a regulated box mod. But still learn about all the safety stuff dont cheat and think the safety features in mod are going to keep you safe. Nothing is perfect things fail. We all had to learn about what not to do in vaping. Anyway I dont like people telling me what to do no one dose but educate yourself. You dont need a mech or rda to blow clouds there are alot of products that do the same that are not for advanced users. Keep it simple two main things for cloud chasing is max vg elquild and having king kong lungs. If you dont agree with me or think iam being a dick you have the right to. If not its all good but do your homework.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another news piece about someone losing their teeth and worse because their E Cigarette 'malfunctioned' coming up?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not one that I know of on this but that is my prediction for this user unless they wise up or are lucky.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use your regulated mods for a little longer whilst you learn ohms law and learn battery safety- using a mech won't make your building skills better, and you can practice building while still using a safer regulated mod. It will give you 135W a lot safer than your tube mech will(If your tube mech could even provide this from a single 18650).

Once you understand everything, and feel safe to use a mech, start simple, and not too low. With the right set up, you don't need to be pushing past the limits of your battery to have an enjoyable vape.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
considering voltage sag in the battery for 130 watts from an 18650 you will be around pushing 40 amps.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
considering voltage sag in the battery for 130 watts from an 18650 you will be around pushing 40 amps.
Exactly-why do it when you have a perfectly good way of doing so much more safely, OP mentions they have a Fuchai which they can use instead of a single 18650 tube mech, and will be drawing a lot less amps doing so.

Mechs are fun, and do have charm to them, and I enjoy them myself, but trying to go that far is not exactly sensible.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly-why do it when you have a perfectly good way of doing so much more safely, OP mentions they have a Fuchai which they can use instead of a single 18650 tube mech, and will be drawing a lot less amps doing so.

Mechs are fun, and do have charm to them, and I enjoy them myself, but trying to go that far is not exactly sensible.
I use mechs at around .3 - .4 ohms. Nice vape and safe.
I also use NO mechs with hybrid style tops.

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Had a bad experience with a mech. Bought a steampunk online shop had it on clearance said why not. Everything went ok did my homework and kept it simple paired with twisted messes v1. Cant say it matched in looks very well. But one day with no warning the fire button fell out the bottom of tube. Switch was magnetic not spring when it happened it fired on its own and dont think it was planning to stop. Sacred the shit out of me first thing that came to mind was get battery out. Si spun bottom cap off haven't bought one since I hit one time to time but never used that one ever again. If you have mechs use them safely are enjoy them its all good then.

CoolBeans32

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is your tugboat a clone? I know you said you just bought the mech but try to clean it anyways. Clean the inside tube and threads, if possible take the button assembly apart and clean that too and make sure to put it back together properly. Having a clean mech mod can help reduce a little voltage drop.

Someone once brought a subzero mod to me and complained about the same issue you are having and we compared his mod to mines since we both had the exact same mod, I took his mod apart and saw signs of arching from his spring, All i did was cleaned up his mod and button parts for him and adjusted his pin and BOOM, hard hitting mech mod.

Other than that i dont know what to tell you, I never owned a tugboat

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had a bad experience with a mech. Bought a steampunk online shop had it on clearance said why not. Everything went ok did my homework and kept it simple paired with twisted messes v1. Cant say it matched in looks very well. But one day with no warning the fire button fell out the bottom of tube. Switch was magnetic not spring when it happened it fired on its own and dont think it was planning to stop. Sacred the shit out of me first thing that came to mind was get battery out. Si spun bottom cap off haven't bought one since I hit one time to time but never used that one ever again. If you have mechs use them safely are enjoy them its all good then.
Ahh with mechs you have to check the switch screw regularly.

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahh with mechs you have to check the switch screw regularly.
Now you tell me. lol Yea it was made to have locking fire button. So spinning bottom cap to lock it and me not checking was the problem. The lock turned in opposite direction still happened.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nowhere in all this do I see anything about what battery is being used. At 0.13 ohms this is pretty critical. It could be that the quality of the build leaves something to be desired or a slow ramp up of the coil but it's also possible that you are getting massive battery sag due to the battery not holding up to the demands you are placing on it. This results in an unsatisfying and unsafe vape. Theoretically your build should result in 135W at 4.2V with an amp draw of 32A. Even a very good cell is going to have some voltage drop at 0.13 ohms. A more realistic expectation is 100-105W and an amp draw of 27-28. If your cell is not up to the demands this output could be much less, and again dangerous. Before you start building at 0.13 make sure that A.-You know ohms law and what you're doing. B.-That your battery is up to the loads you are placing on it. Use http://www.steam-engine.org/ or something similar to determine the demands. Look around the forum for Mooch's battery tests to see what cell is up to the task. And C.-Buy your cells from a trusted source. Be safe.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a .13 ohm load battery output voltage will likely be no higher than 3.7 volts.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now you tell me. lol Yea it was made to have locking fire button. So spinning bottom cap to lock it and me not checking was the problem. The lock turned in opposite direction still happened.
Mechs require frequent inspections and cleaning for proper and safe operation.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't see where the OP states what batteries they're using. Likely shit eFest 40a battery that is actually a 10a.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't see where the OP states what batteries they're using. Likely shit eFest 40a battery that is actually a 10a.

Yep good way to get an atty stuck in the roof of your mouth.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But he will be so cool doing it :rolleyes:
This is something I don't quite understand, and am not sure I ever will.

Most people start with a regulated mod-which works perfectly well for them, then when they feel they have reached a level of understanding, get excited to 'upgrade' to a mech. They are then limited to their build, and their battery, as well as the mech in regards to the power they can vape at.

I like mechanical mods, so no way is this a bash at them, and I do use them myself, but I don't see how they are any cooler than a regulated device, I am a bit geeky so maybe that is why I like regulated devices, how they work, ETC.

I don't see the possibility of blowing my face off in any way cool lol.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hold my beer and watch this clowd!

I use mechs and regulated. I make my builds for the mechs and the regulated mods can adjust to the build.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Testing, testing

Keep trying to reply and keep getting errors of "unable to connect to forum" when ever I try to reply

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is something I don't quite understand, and am not sure I ever will.

Most people start with a regulated mod-which works perfectly well for them, then when they feel they have reached a level of understanding, get excited to 'upgrade' to a mech. They are then limited to their build, and their battery, as well as the mech in regards to the power they can vape at.

I like mechanical mods, so no way is this a bash at them, and I do use them myself, but I don't see how they are any cooler than a regulated device, I am a bit geeky so maybe that is why I like regulated devices, how they work, ETC.

I don't see the possibility of blowing my face off in any way cool lol.

The sole reason why I got into Mech's is do to Government, no other reason what so ever. I used to have the attitude that I would never ever touch a mech, Government and the FDA changed all that. Funny thing though is that I found I really enjoy them and they are pretty much all I vape on now. The satisfaction of finding the right build along with aesthetics of them just does it for me. The beauty and purity of a Mech is what does it.

Sadly though you see a lot of new vapers like the OP in his other posts on other threads who states that they don't know Ohm's law and are having a difficulty wrapping their head around it. All they're after is Clouds Bro and dive in without doing their homework

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hold my beer and watch this clowd!

I use mechs and regulated. I make my builds for the mechs and the regulated mods can adjust to the build.
Yep, my regulated mod's are used for testing new builds and for pulsing/cleaning coils. That and the occasional quick out the door if my Mech's need to be cleaned or what not.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went through some of his other posts in the forum. Sorry to say but he's a prime candidate for blowing his face off.

"I'm using Kanthal wire and have read about ohms law. Don't understand it completely. I'm just not sure what gets the best results."

Seems as though blowing sick clouds is taking precedent over safety with the OP. Stick with your regulated mod if you are not willing to take a little time to understand the fairly simple concept of ohms law.

Debbiej

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm learning slowly. Having a hard time find a good build with my dotmod. I'm use to hitting 80watts myself and enjoy a warm vape. I tried a .17 coil using a 25amp battery. Great vape but paranoid cause I felt I was pushing the limit. Upped to a .25. Now it takes forever to warm......I'm using a fused claptons. 26n/36k. Think that is causing a slow ramp up? Maybe if I used SS it would hit harder. Or maybe I need to clean switch in mod? I've only had it a week. The joy is in the tinkering, finding the sweet spot. Kinda like sex, lol...........any advice? On building with a tube mod? What is the perfect build? I got better batteries coming but in the mean time........would single coil be better. Like more is less? Using different attys. Tsunami, vaparesso rta, Mage. Also my velocityv2 will not hit. None of my velocity's hit.why? Is it the stainless steel 510 pin? Man, I have a ton of questions

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"I'm using Kanthal wire and have read about ohms law. Don't understand it completely. I'm just not sure what gets the best results."

Seems as though blowing sick clouds is taking precedent over safety with the OP. Stick with your regulated mod if you are not willing to take a little time to understand the fairly simple concept of ohms law.
OP needs to watch this, anyone who doesn't get it after watching this needs to just stay with regulated Mod's.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm learning slowly. Having a hard time find a good build with my dotmod. I'm use to hitting 80watts myself and enjoy a warm vape. I tried a .17 coil using a 25amp battery. Great vape but paranoid cause I felt I was pushing the limit. Upped to a .25. Now it takes forever to warm......I'm using a fused claptons. 26n/36k. Think that is causing a slow ramp up? Maybe if I used SS it would hit harder. Or maybe I need to clean switch in mod? I've only had it a week. The joy is in the tinkering, finding the sweet spot. Kinda like sex, lol...........any advice? On building with a tube mod? What is the perfect build? I got better batteries coming but in the mean time........would single coil be better. Like more is less? Using different attys. Tsunami, vaparesso rta, Mage. Also my velocityv2 will not hit. None of my velocity's hit.why? Is it the stainless steel 510 pin? Man, I have a ton of questions

Use 28g core wire with Kanthal, 30g core wire with SS. SS is more responsive also which is one of the reasons why I prefer it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also for me 0.2 Ohms is my sweet spot, with a parallel Mod I'll build down to around 0.17, I don't like the vape below that, it's not enjoyable for me.

VU Sponsors