Become a Patron!

Not the typical burnt coil question... Need help

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Left vaping about 5 years ago cause of the continuous burnt coil taste. Picked it up recently again.

So the shop I bought my aegis legend at walked me through setting up a new coil. Everything worked perfect. Next coil I did the exact same way and it was burnt. Next coil... Burnt. Bought a 5 pack and probably 4 of 5 tasted burnt. Watched a ton of priming videos and read a ton of posts.

What I noticed is if I chain vape, the burnt taste goes away after a few mins then it's good. If I let it sit for a few hours before vaping again, it tastes burnt. Then I have to puff on it several times for it not to taste burnt but the burnt taste for the first few mins kills my taste buds and ruins it.

What is the deal with it?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That just sucks, Mike. I stopped buying coils a while ago, so I can't help you, other than bumping this thread. Not a great re-introduction to vaping, but don't give up. Someone will pop in, for sure.

Have you ever considered RTAs instead? You don't even have to make your own coils, plenty of members build and sell. You'd have to install and wick. Not too terribly difficult, though.

Welcome to VU, all the same. Good luck!

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
That just sucks, Mike. I stopped buying coils a while ago, so I can't help you, other than bumping this thread. Not a great re-introduction to vaping, but don't give up. Someone will pop in, for sure.

Have you ever considered RTAs instead? You don't even have to make your own coils, plenty of members build and sell. You'd have to install and wick. Not too terribly difficult, though.

Welcome to VU, all the same. Good luck!

Are those the ones that you have to drip juice on every few puffs? I used to have a mod and do the coils for it but it's been years and there's so much new stuff to everything. I'm not interested in having to redrip every few puffs unfortunately. Not good for driving with.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Are those the ones that you have to drip juice on every few puffs? I used to have a mod and do the coils for it but it's been years and there's so much new stuff to everything. I'm not interested in having to redrip every few puffs unfortunately. Not good for driving with.
They're rebuildable tanks, instead of the drippers. I agree with you, I've no interest in the drippers. Too much hassle.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They're rebuildable tanks, instead of the drippers. I agree with you, I've no interest in the drippers. Too much hassle.
Yes I agree on RDA's however Squonkers are wonderful!
:inlove:
Been about 3.5 years since I bought any factory coils.

BTW welcome to VU Mike and I hope someone can help you with your vaping issue.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right. Like Huckleberied says, an RTA has a tank you fill, but instead of disposable factory coils, you install whatever kind you wind up liking best, run some cotton wick through it and into the deck and you vape on it until the tank is down and then you just refill the tank.

Depending on how you vape, you change out the cotton every so often when it no longer vapes good to you. The metal coils can last a good long time. Through several wickings at least usually.

I have to be honest. I read your post earlier and wasn't sure how to respond. Nothing against you at all, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense according to my limited knowledge anyway.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Yeah doesn't make sense to me either...

What rta's do you guys recommend? I'm googling and youtubing now. Seems an rta would be easier to prime correctly, nevermind being cheaper in the long run. Can I buy premade coils?

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
After priming do you suck on the tank some without firing?
This can make a big difference some times.

Yes. I close the air hole and take several puffs. Then open the air a little and take a few puffs. No firing during these.

My coils are 30-90w so I start firing during about 5 small puffs at 25w then 30w then 35w and so forth till I reach a good spot. Eventually it tastes good. If I put it down for an hour or two and go to vape again, it tastes like I never primed it. It's a harse burnt taste.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes. I close the air hole and take several puffs. Then open the air a little and take a few puffs. No firing during these.

My coils are 30-90w so I start firing during about 5 small puffs at 25w then 30w then 35w and so forth till I reach a good spot. Eventually it tastes good. If I put it down for an hour or two and go to vape again, it tastes like I never primed it. It's a harse burnt taste.
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I am NOT calling you a liar or an idiot my friend. It's just that that is so counter intuitive. Unless you are using some ungodly thick eliquid or something.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I am NOT calling you a liar or an idiot my friend. It's just that that is so counter intuitive. Unless you are using some ungodly thick eliquid or something.

70/30...
Also tried 50/50

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For RTA;s, I still have to recommend that LOTUS

Unbelievable flavor and it's never leaked a drop on me once. You will no doubt get plenty of other great advice in this regard as well.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Seems an rta would be easier to prime correctly, nevermind being cheaper in the long run. Can I buy premade coils?
Yes ! And they can be found without paying an arm and a leg.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What rta's do you guys recommend? I'm googling and youtubing now. Seems an rta would be easier to prime correctly, nevermind being cheaper in the long run. Can I buy premade coils?
Think single coil. Great flavor can be had and they're easier to build. Dual down the road if you choose.

With a needle, try poking a few holes around in the wick of your coil heads to see if that allows more juice to prevent dry/burnt taste.

Last edited:

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Think single coil. Great flavor can be had and they're easier to build. Dual down the road if you choose.

I don't know if I'll have the patience to learn to build again. I'd probably buy premade coils. I saw on a video there is mesh buildable ones and coil ones. What's easier/better?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
By build, I meant install and wick. Not build the coil. I haven't tried mesh.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Rebuildable mesh coils are more problematic in my opinion.

Good to know. What rta's do you guys recommend? Any YouTubers you recommend for learning about rta's and coils? I used to watch rip trippers a lot back in the day. I noticed he is sponsored by the products he reviews though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mike try this. After your vape sits a bit open up the topfill just a moment and then tighten back.
Maybe due to the high wattage vaping you are getting too much vacuum in the top of the tank and it is actually sucking juice back out of the wick?

Only thing I can think of.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Mike try this. After your vape sits a bit open up the topfill just a moment and then tighten back.
Maybe due to the high wattage vaping you are getting too much vacuum in the top of the tank and it is actually sucking juice back out of the wick?

Only thing I can think of.

Tried that... Saw it as a solution in other posts.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Here's a few to look at
Dual coil:
Lotus looks good, as does
Dead Rabbit
Reload

Single coil:
Elevate
Juggerknot Mini
Peacemaker 25mm
Intake
Zesthia

I like
Todd's Reviews
Vaping with Vic
DJLsb Vapes
GeeKay Vapes
to name a few...
I like Rip's camera work if I need a closer or close up view of something.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Here's a few to look at
Dual coil:
Dead Rabbit
Reload

Single coil:
Elevate
Juggerknot Mini
Peacemaker 25mm
Intake
Zesthia

I like
Todd's Reviews
Vaping with Vic
DJLsb Vapes
GeeKay Vapes
to name a few...

Awesome... Thanks for the list. Actually watching DJLsb now.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My favorite RTA is still my Geekvape Zeus single coil, but have read that some folks find it tricky to wick. I had some problems with mine once, but it was quickly sorted out. I also have recently acquired a Hotcig Centaur, an IJoy Tornado Nano, and a Wotofo Serpent Alto, all of which are fine and probably easier to build than the Zeus. Mostly, though, I've settled more on sub-ohm tanks for which RBAs are available. Of those, the Freemax Fireluke is my favorite. If you decide to look at that, the original Fireluke is the only one that has an RBA. The Mesh and Mesh Pro do not afaik. Another thing to note is that you can't replace the coil or rebuild the RBA with juice still in the Fireluke. When you take the base off, the rest of the tank will just come apart.

Geekvape also manufactures lots of different kinds of pre-built coils. myvpro.com has a pretty decent selection, ranging from $3.39 to about $6.99.

I don't buy their coils, but have certainly bought their wire and had good results from it.

It is far easier to avoid burnt hits on rebuildable attys, and if you do burn cotton, you can just pull it out, burn the coil clean, and put some new cotton in. Don't have to toss the coil, obviously. Just knowing that the cotton is already saturated with juice before you put the tank back together is assurance that when you first hit the device, you won't be hitting dry cotton.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Here's a few to look at
Dual coil:
Dead Rabbit
Reload

Single coil:
Elevate
Juggerknot Mini
Peacemaker 25mm
Intake
Zesthia

I like
Todd's Reviews
Vaping with Vic
DJLsb Vapes
GeeKay Vapes
to name a few...

I saw that Asmodus Zesthia RTA on sale today at vaporrange.com for $13.95, if I'm not mistaken. Great deal, I'd have ordered one already if I didn't just get 10 new RTAs.

ETA: I want a Peacemaker!

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
What's a good beginner one that is easy to wick. It seems wicking it right is going to be the tricky part from the videos I'm watching. Also, I guess wicking will determine leakage as well. That was my other issue last time I gave up on vaping.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
I saw that Asmodus Zesthia RTA on sale today at vaporrange.com for $13.95, if I'm not mistaken. Great deal, I'd have ordered one already if I didn't just get 10 new RTAs.

ETA: I want a Peacemaker!

Is that a decent one? I'm not so concerned with price as long as it works and is easy to use. I bought my aegis legend from a local shop... Didn't realize they were about $50-60 online when I paid them $125 for it.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
For coils/wire premade wire in SS, Advanced Vape Supply. And as mentioned, several members build and sell coils.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Temp Control mode for Stainless coils on the Legend works pretty well once firmware is up to date, so stainless coils might be a good idea for you. Pretty much for sure you won't get burnt hits if you use temp control.

I know we have several members here who are big fans of the Juggerknot. And @MannyScoot swears that the Reload RTA is the best RTA on the market. Don't know how easy it is to wick, but now I've tagged him, he'll probably be along directly.

Also just as a general statement, at least in my experience, we don't have nearly the problems with leaking tanks that we did years ago. Top airflow has really been a godsend as far as that goes. Top airflow is a good thing.

The one other thing that occurred to me is that, considering the size of the Legend, you don't want to buy some dinky little RTA. It would just look funny sitting on that Legend. (I have one, too, and that's where my Fireluke tank lives.)

Good luck!

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the info so far. A lot to look at and consider. Temp control is something I'll have to look into. It wasn't around last time I vaped and know nothing about currently.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is that a decent one? I'm not so concerned with price as long as it works and is easy to use. I bought my aegis legend from a local shop... Didn't realize they were about $50-60 online when I paid them $125 for it.
Yes Zesthia is a really nice Quality I got mine when it was $29.99. Single coil for me the best height for the coil is the top of the coil inline with the top posts. Likes fuller wicking. For $13.95 I got one for the hubs. Definitely buy it.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Heartsdelight and @Letitia9 have the Juggerknot Mini so maybe they will comment.

Of the others I listed Elevate and Dead Rabbit are top AF as well.
The Juggernot is nice I have an authentic & a clone. And for the $ definitely get the no name clone on Fasttech. Just as nice. Top airflow like everyone said no leaking very easy to wick. It’s a postless deck so I cut my legs to 4.5mm.

For the $ order the Zesthia from Vaporrange & if you want top airflow get the clone from Fasttech.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Question for you Zesthia fans... I thought about that one at Vapor Range, myself, but is it an 810 or 510 drip tip? I noticed there's no adapter, but I don't like the wide bore.

The Intake is definitely one I see people talking about lately, and being a single coil, imo, there's less to be worried about when it comes to throwing a coil in it, then having to wick 2 coils. Nope. Not for me, I like single coil, always have.

Mike, you don't have to worry about TC if you're not into it right away. Like was mentioned before, if you were to get stainless steel coils, they do work in regular wattage mode. I never got into TC, I'm vaping happily in wattage mode and still using kanthal. Compared to most of these folks, I feel like an absolute beginner.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Question for you Zesthia fans... I thought about that one at Vapor Range, myself, but is it an 810 or 510 drip tip? I noticed there's no adapter, but I don't like the wide bore.

The Intake is definitely one I see people talking about lately, and being a single coil, imo, there's less to be worried about when it comes to throwing a coil in it, then having to wick 2 coils. Nope. Not for me, I like single coil, always have.

Mike, you don't have to worry about TC if you're not into it right away. Like was mentioned before, if you were to get stainless steel coils, they do work in regular wattage mode. I never got into TC, I'm vaping happily in wattage mode and still using kanthal. Compared to most of these folks, I feel like an absolute beginner.
It’s an 810 but comfy. You probably have a 810 to 510 adapter included in one of your other rta’s. Yeah Asmodus doesn’t include an adapter.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
So I remember years ago that people talked about buildable blowing up if you don't do the coil right. Will premade rta coils be fine? Do I need to put them on that meter thing to check prebuilts?

VU Sponsors