Become a Patron!

Not working for me anymore

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Frustrating few days:
After 3 weeks of vaping. Think I've have vapers tongue. All the juice seems to taste like soap, even the ones that tasted good before. Seems like a slow decline.

Can't keep a good hit going after a couple of pulls. Using a Vaporesso Tarot 40w on .04 coils, 70 VG juice at 6mg nic. Have tried a couple other tanks. 50/50 juice. Tried every adjustment to airflow, watts, hard pulls, long pulls, etc.

Just watched a very long PBushardo review about a MTL tank Nautilis 2, plus a rant.... which is one of the reasons I like him.
http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/archives/14919
He makes a couple good points in there, one them being it just works and two, it's satisfying. That's what I'm missing. Been reading for days on the forum, this is the only thing I can figure out from here...

So maybe I missed my style by going direct to sub-ohm? I don't care about clouds, no dis on chasers, I want more from my vape than just nic replacement. I want better flavor because cigs really taste like crap now, and I want a consistent throat hit like I get from a cig every time. Am I asking too much? Has anyone been there done that? Is this similar to your story?

Sure I can buy the tank and try it, would also probably have to up the nic from 6 to at least 12 because it's a part of the hit. Just don't want to throw more money at it... I just want it to work!

Thanks !!

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Nautilus 2 is pretty good. I'm using the 1.8Ω coils, good flavor and they don't go through juice nearly as quick as the .7Ω ones

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Frustrating few days:
After 3 weeks of vaping. Think I've have vapers tongue. All the juice seems to taste like soap, even the ones that tasted good before. Seems like a slow decline.

Can't keep a good hit going after a couple of pulls. Using a Vaporesso Tarot 40w on .04 coils, 70 VG juice at 6mg nic. Have tried a couple other tanks. 50/50 juice. Tried every adjustment to airflow, watts, hard pulls, long pulls, etc.

Just watched a very long PBushardo review about a MTL tank Nautilis 2, plus a rant.... which is one of the reasons I like him.
He makes a couple good points in there, one them being it just works and two, it's satisfying. That's what I'm missing. Been reading for days on the forum, this is the only thing I can figure out from here...

So maybe I missed my style by going direct to sub-ohm? I don't care about clouds, no dis on chasers, I want more from my vape than just nic replacement. I want better flavor because cigs really taste like crap now, and I want a consistent throat hit like I get from a cig every time. Am I asking too much? Has anyone been there done that? Is this similar to your story?

Sure I can buy the tank and try it, would also probably have to up the nic from 6 to at least 12 because it's a part of the hit. Just don't want to throw more money at it... I just want it to work!

Thanks !!
That's what annoys me most about the high power trend, folks just quitting smoking these days get steered straight to direct lung higher powered setups even if they are mouth to lung smokers just wanting to quit smoking. I recommend that everyone who smoked mouth to lung try lower powered MTL tanks like the Nautilus 2 or Nautilus Mini, Triton Mini with 1.6 or 1.8 ohm Nautilus coils first. Suggest 70pg/30 VG to 50/50, 12 to 24mg nic, 8 to 12W and see how that goes. You can try the direct lung later if you want, but you shouldn't be forced into it without getting to experience something you're already familiar with. You don't need 100W direct lung attys for throat hit or great flavor!

Last edited:

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
That's what annoys me most about the high power trend, folks just quitting smoking these days get steered straight to direct lung higher powered setups even if they are mouth to lung smokers just wanting to quit smoking. I recommend that everyone who smoked mouth to lung try lower powered MTL tanks like the Nautilus 2 or Nautilus Mini, Triton Mini, with 1.6 or 1.8 ohm Nautilus coils first. Suggest 70pg/30 VG to 50/50, 12 to 24mg nic, 8 to 12W and see how that goes. You can try the direct lung later if you want, but you shouldn't be forced into it without getting to experience something you're already familiar with. You don't need 100W for throat hit or great flavor!
I've never heard a single person who started vaping with Nautilus Mini or the others I mentioned ever regret starting out that way!

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nautilus is a good choice. I'm vaping a Nautilus coil at 0.5 ohms; probably more DTL than you're wanting but still works great at 30 watts. Higher ohm coils will be better for MTL and lower wattage. But with the Nautilus style system, you can always open things up if you want to, or not. I usually find their coils work pretty good overall, and with a really light flavored juice can last quite a long time.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You don't need 100W for throat hit or great flavor!

Agreed, I like a MTL, but not the super tight draw, so I go for a restricted DL type tank, but I shut down the airflow a lot. I'm a high PG vaper, at about 8mg nic and I get plenty of TH this way, which I do like. I can't tolerate high VG, or even 30 or 40 vg, at all.

One thing is for sure, there are options out there for whatever your vape style may be, so reading up around here at what others are enjoying, then making informed decisions is the way to go. I started out with the usual CE4 kinds, moved to Protank 2, then moved int rebuildable tanks. That's my sweet spot there - above ohm, airy draw, but MTL inhale. Tons of flavor for me.

Stay hydrated, switch up flavors often, and don't give up. The right set up is out there. Trial and error can suck, though.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what annoys me most about the high power trend, folks just quitting smoking these days get steered straight to direct lung higher powered setups even if they are mouth to lung smokers just wanting to quit smoking. I recommend that everyone who smoked mouth to lung try lower powered MTL tanks like the Nautilus 2 or Nautilus Mini, Triton Mini with 1.6 or 1.8 ohm Nautilus coils first. Suggest 70pg/30 VG to 50/50, 12 to 24mg nic, 8 to 12W and see how that goes. You can try the direct lung later if you want, but you shouldn't be forced into it without getting to experience something you're already familiar with. You don't need 100W direct lung attys for throat hit or great flavor!

Spot on! That's how I started and it got me off cigs the day I started. I did it for 2 months before I moved on.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
^^^^^ +1 to what David said. You may require higher nic and potentially a different setup at first.

As for the soapy taste, your taste buds may be recovering already and you're finding that commercial blends are now over flavored for your tastes. It took much longer for this to happen to me but these days I'm not sure I could vape any commercial juice without diluting it at least a little.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started with a Nautilus Mini and now have 3 in my regular rotation along with a multitude of other tanks and RBA/RDA/RTA/RDTA's different tanks for different moods is how I vape. For the Vapers Tongue I have found Lemon Sorbet or water helps cleanse the palate along with taste bud waker uppers like a good Dill pickle or some fresh Pineapple. Works for me and maybe it will help you.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've tried the nautilus mini when I first tried to switch it was not for me..didn't last long before I went back to smoking. Everyone's different. I personally had more of a fighting chance when I went subohm. There's a satisfaction blowing decent clouds that taste yummy lol I will say there's another device I tried that be PERFECT for you. The Aspire pockex all in one. It's a pen style with really good flavour and throught hit. Get some 60/40 12mg and you should be good to go imo

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's weird about the flavoring...love pickles and will try the lemon/lime as well. Have been drinking much more water.
Going to have to try the MTL tank for sure now. Thanks

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Nautilus is a good choice. I'm vaping a Nautilus coil at 0.5 ohms; probably more DTL than you're wanting but still works great at 30 watts. Higher ohm coils will be better for MTL and lower wattage. But with the Nautilus style system, you can always open things up if you want to, or not. I usually find their coils work pretty good overall, and with a really light flavored juice can last quite a long time.
Nothing wrong at all with DL and different styles! For folks who smoked MTL I just recommend that they start out trying MTL vaping higher nic at low power closer to what they are used to. I know many do fine on a DL swap but many struggle too. I think folks should try different styles and pick what they want, unfortunately some shops don't give much attention to MTL setups for folks to even know they exist.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've tried the nautilus mini when I first tried to switch it was not for me..didn't last long before I went back to smoking. Everyone's different. I personally had more of a fighting chance when I went subohm. There's a satisfaction blowing decent clouds that taste yummy lol I will say there's another device I tried that be PERFECT for you. The Aspire pockex all in one. It's a pen style with really good flavour and throught hit. Get some 60/40 12mg and you should be good to go imo
Totally agree MTL may not be for everyone. That doesn't mean everyone who smoked MTL should go straight to DL either, and that's the point of my rant about folks steering MTL smokers that way first.
A friend tried my MTL setup to see if vaping would help him stop smoking and he took a DL hit and coughed a lot lol. I asked him how he smoked and he drew it in straight to lung so I recommended he try a DL setup with lower nic. On the other hand most folks I know who smoked MTL make the transistion to MTL vaping just fine. Bottom line, try vaping how you smoked first. Then experiment as you wish after you've found something that works.

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
unfortunately some shops don't give much attention to MTL setups for folks to even know they exist.
This is what I find aggravating, most people find the vape shop first, the forum second, the knowledge third. I asked all the questions I knew to ask and did the best I could to sort through the suggestions and made my purchase. Even went back after struggling and was just sold another sub-ohm tank.
I just called 4 in my area, only 1 knew what MTL style was and none had any suitable tanks. All sub-ohm. One guy just named what was in the case.
Nobody's fault just a sad state for the industry if you ask me.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Totally agree MTL may not be for everyone. That doesn't mean everyone who smoked MTL should go straight to DL either, and that's the point of my rant about folks steering MTL smokers that way first.

Yup. I don't disagree. I'm glad I had the MTL experience..even tried it again after my sub ohm ventures. It's the most logical and cost effective place to start. :)

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Frustrating few days:

Thanks !!
Oh that soapy taste... reminds me of every flavor of Vape Wild I ever tried :huh:

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yup. I don't disagree. I'm glad I had the MTL experience..even tried it again after my sub ohm ventures. It's the most logical and cost effective place to start. :)
I guess technically I'm a subohmer too now Matty since I build 0.6 ohm SS coils and vape them MTL at a whopping 11W haha. A big power boost from my 7 to 8W on Nauty coils and early kayfun build days :D

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah I just recently bought some "budget" e-juice and it kinda tastes like shampoo or bubble bath lol lesson learned..To the OP.. There will be some mistakes made and money spent LEARNING. It's an important part of the process of your vaping journey. It's a little frustrating but don't sweat it it's all worth it once you find what works for you,

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
This is what I find aggravating, most people find the vape shop first, the forum second, the knowledge third. I asked all the questions I knew to ask and did the best I could to sort through the suggestions and made my purchase. Even went back after struggling and was just sold another sub-ohm tank.
I just called 4 in my area, only 1 knew what MTL style was and none had any suitable tanks. All sub-ohm. One guy just named what was in the case.
Nobody's fault just a sad state for the industry if you ask me.
Exactly Bob! And all the shops selling 6mg max juices, I need an eyeroll emoticon here lol

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yeah I just recently bought some "budget" e-juice and it kinda tastes like shampoo or bubble bath lol lesson learned
Same here.....I've got more invested in juice that sucks than in hardware.
If not for a trade with @georgemeadal that included some of his DIY I would not know what the hell good juice tasted like. It's all I have that does not taste like crap. Thanks George

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Oddly, over flavoring can have that effect. I know it sounds weird.
I have to dilute if I buy store bought ejuice these days, my diy juices don't have near the flavorings or sweeteners. I think part of the reason I don't need so much flavoring is my low power tighter draw style with higher pg.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cost effective? I go through 20 MLs or more in my Nautilus Minis every day but if I vape 5-6 MLs in my Sub Ohm tanks I am lucky.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Cost effective? I go through 20 MLs or more in my Nautilus Minis every day but if I vape 5-6 MLs in my Sub Ohm tanks I am lucky.
Haha oh come on Steve that's 10 tank fills a day on a nautilus mini holding 2 ml :D you must have been vaping 3 to 6 mg else you'd OD'd on nic haha.
I vaped 18 to 32 mg nic on those and two a day is the most I ever did and usually one and a half :)
Subohm vapers suck down far more juice than tootle puffers on a Naughty mini, you're not typical at all.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You know I vape 3MG David and yeah I can go through a tank in an hour if I am chain vaping.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You know I vape 3MG David and yeah I can go through a tank in an hour if I am chain vaping.
Yes, we tend to vape to get the nic we're used to, so low nic vapers vape more and high nic vapers vape less. I'm a 2 to 3 at most ml a day guy with my high nic. Vaping my Myjet stealth pod with 32 mg nic salts it's even less.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tend to chain vape my DIY e-Liquids more often then I do with the store bought stuff but Even if I was vaping mostly Premium all day I could care less what the cost is because there are no carcinogens in my vape.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If you start DIYing you will never have vapor tongue. Because, your always switching your juice. Your taste buds never get to used to any 1 flavor.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also bear in mind I never run my tanks dry so I open and fill them probably 30-40 times a day. :xD:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But all Sub ohm tanks are not created equal.
Nautilus 2 with a .7 coil?
Subtank Mini V2 with RBA and .4 coil at 17 watts?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And it isn't the tanks or coils that determines how much liquid I go through it is how many puffs. Sure the Baby Beast with the X4 Quad coils is a thirsty tank but I do not Sub Ohm vape for as long as I use my Minis. While watching TV last night I did fill the Baby 3 times but I rarely run it lower than half way before I fill. If I really gave two shits I guess I could fill my tanks with a syringe and get a more accurate measurement.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
And it isn't the tanks or coils that determines how much liquid I go through it is how many puffs. Sure the Baby Beast with the X4 Quad coils is a thirsty tank but I do not Sub Ohm vape for as long as I use my Minis. While watching TV last night I did fill the Baby 3 times but I rarely run it lower than half way before I fill. If I really gave two shits I guess I could fill my tanks with a syringe and get a more accurate measurement.
Yeah I forgot you told me that you vaped only 3 mg nic Steve. I hate filling tanks unless they're a simple top fill like the Triton mini that works well every time with never a leak. I fill one tank and one Myjet pod a day typically. My bottom fill tanks I take apart I always rinse clean in hot water. Pop in a new built coil with a fresh wick.
Yes that's right, I put in a new coil every time I fill my tank, NETs gunk them up and I like a clean vape. I don't dry burn either ... I can taste the difference haha. We all have our ways eh :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My bottom fill STM'
Yeah I forgot you told me that you vaped only 3 mg nic Steve. I hate filling tanks unless they're a simple top fill like the Triton mini that works well every time with never a leak. I fill one tank and one Myjet pod a day typically. My bottom fill tanks I take apart I always rinse clean in hot water. Pop in a new built coil with a fresh wick
s I recoil/rewick about every 20 tanks.
too many topfil tanks have gurgle/dribbly problems.

My favorite RDA's are bottom fill too :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also... for throat hit ... Get some Flash by FlavourArt -- you can find it at ecigexpress.com. You don't have to DIY to use additives in your ejuice; I was adding TFA sweetener and Flash to my vape MONTHS before I started DIY, because I could never use higher than 10mg nicotine, but really require good TH. Now that I'm down to 3mg, it's even more necessary.

I found that adding sweetener to my store-bought ejuice made them taste MUCH better, made the flavors really pop, though they'd been rather tasteless before adding sweetener. I smoked for 39 yrs and my tastebuds have apparently been in a lengthy and profound coma; I still mix my juice at a bit over 25% flavoring, and when I started DIY, it was 31%.

Don't be afraid of additives like Flash, sweetener, or even adding more actual flavors to your bought ejuice -- just because others say that such-and-such ejuice is over-flavored, doesn't make it true for EVERYONE; some of us take a lot longer to get our tastes back from smokers' coma.

And don't give up! 3 wks is one of the trouble-spots for quitting smoking -- it sounds like you're kinda depressed and a bit pissy about the entire process, and that is perfectly normal at 3 wks! Just hang in there, it gets better! But expect another similar bout around the 3 month mark.

Andria

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My bottom fill STM'

s I recoil/rewick about every 20 tanks.
too many topfil tanks have gurgle/dribbly problems.

My favorite RDA's are bottom fill too :)
You know every picture I ever saw where someone goes weeks without a coil change all i can see is black tar all over the coil and wick lol. I can go a most a week on the same coil if I'm vaping a clean diy juice like my peppermint ice. With NETs it's one tank. My coils have a slight build up that I can taste when I change them. No way can I vape on a gunked up nasty coil :D
And we had different experiences my subtank mini was the biggest leaker I ever had. I asked three young people if their subtank sever leaked and all theee said yes, one girl said she would sometimes wrap a wrag around hers. It always amazed me that I never had a Nauty mini leak yet some did. Quality control and vaping styles perhaps .. subtank mini wasn't suited to MTL imho. Vaping big air DL would be less likely to have backflow down the air holes.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know every picture I ever saw where someone goes weeks without a coil change all i can see is black tar all over the coil and wick lol. I can go a most a week on the same coil if I'm vaping a clean diy juice like my peppermint ice. With NETs it's one tank. My coils have a slight build up that I can taste when I change them. No way can I vape on a gunked up nasty coil :D
Coils are like coffee cups need a bit of buildup on them.
As long as they vape with good flavor and clouds and no burned taste I use em.

i vape mostly 7% total flavor Occams Vanilla Custard.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Coils are like coffee cups need a bit of buildup on them.
As long as they vape with good flavor and clouds and no burned taste I use em.

i vape mostly 7% total flavor Occams Vanilla Custard.
I miss a good custard, I have some diy ingredients but have yet to try my hand at diy custards.
The girls at work once threw my coffee cup away they didn't like the sight of it being seasoned haha

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I miss a good custard, I have some diy ingredients but have yet to try my hand at diy custards.
My FAV Occams Vanilla Custard.
120 ml batch- do calcs for smaller batches if desired.
4 ml CAP VC V1
1.5 ml CAP Vanilla Whipped cream
5 drops Liquid Nu Stevia sweetener. 5 drops from origional 2 oz bottle. Prolly around 8-10 regular drops.
3 ml 100 mg PG base nic.
top with your PG/VG blend. I used to use 50/50 now use 60% PG.

Makes a very good base for adding fruits or cinn danish, apple, etc to.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Another "spot on" observation. Thanks :)

I felt much the same at 3wks, despite my joy during the 3 wks previous, and it hit me again at 3 months -- but it passes within a week or so, so don't let it get you down -- it's all a normal part of quitting smoking -- never an easy matter, even with such a great replacement. :)

Andria

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My FAV Occams Vanilla Custard.
120 ml batch- do calcs for smaller batches if desired.
4 ml CAP VC V1
1.5 ml CAP Vanilla Whipped cream
5 drops Liquid Nu Stevia sweetener. 5 drops from origional 2 oz bottle. Prolly around 8-10 regular drops.
3 ml 100 mg PG base nic.
top with your PG/VG blend. I used to use 50/50 now use 60% PG.

Makes a very good base for adding fruits or cinn danish, apple, etc to.
Thanks for the recipe Cromwell, I have caps VC v1 & V2, not sure about the vanilla whipped cream may have to sub something there for now. You go lightly flavored. My style too!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the recipe Cromwell, I have caps VC v1 & V2, not sure about the vanilla whipped cream may have to sub something there for now. You go lightly flavored. My style too!
if you like custards and such get some CAP Vanilla Whipped Cream if you do not have any. Good with fruits and such as well as a smoother and creamy note.
It is Cool whip?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
if you like custards and such get some CAP Vanilla Whipped Cream if you do not have any. Good with fruits and such as well as a smoother and creamy note.
It is Cool whip?

I might have to try that; just checked at BCF and it doesn't have the "caution" background, so apparently diketone-free. TFA's whipped cream is ok, but really really light.

Andria

VU Sponsors